PDA

View Full Version : Yeti - Are Skoda Australia nuts?

K1W1
19-10-2010, 07:45 AM
A 77kW two wheel drive version?

They have to be nuts to market that here at launch The car will get a reputation as an overweight underpowered slug and go the way of the Roomster real quick.

Reviewers will overlook the positives of the 103kW 4WD and hone in on the dull uninspiring performance of the 2WD version.

Jake02
19-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Looking quickly at the specs, the 77TSI 2x4 weighs 190kg less than the 103TDI 4x4 and it's not even two seconds slower to 100. But you know why they're bringing in the 77TSI? It's so they can be comfortably under $30k in pricing (go against Dualis etc) and that they have DSGs for both their engines. Of course, the 90TSI and 118TSI would be better but they're manual only, and we all know how much this Market loves autos (even though I'd love to see Skoda bring in some manual-only models - they'd face criticism yes but for us manual drivers it'd be fine). I for one, would buy the 125TDI (0-100 in 8.4 seconds is pretty identical to the Octy RS TDI!).

I'll post pics of the Yeti from the motorshow soon :).

BlackOctaviaRS
19-10-2010, 08:29 AM
They'd be better off also bringing in a spec'd up Yeti with the 147TSI engine, to compete with the top of the range Tiguan. I think people would be more likely to then buy this than a Tiguan, as the Yeti actually has a usable boot.

I really hope Skoda Australia don't stuff up their marketing and specs for the Yeti, it would be such a shame to see a great car not given what it truly deserves.

bobski
19-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Yeah, they must be aiming at that "looks like an SUV but isn't" segment. Reviews said that it wasn't blistering, but more than enough to get around town. I reckon this'll be a "mum's car" proposition. I could definitely see my wife wanting something as practical as this to get the kids around (not that we have any yet :P). And 6.4 litres per hundred is nothing to be sniffed at compared to the japanese that are doing low 8's.

Its just getting them through the doors, but the word is out, right? :)

flyingfridge
19-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Looking quickly at the specs, the 77TSI 2x4 weighs 190kg less than the 103TDI 4x4 and it's not even two seconds slower to 100. But you know why they're bringing in the 77TSI? It's so they can be comfortably under $30k in pricing (go against Dualis etc) and that they have DSGs for both their engines. Of course, the 90TSI and 118TSI would be better but they're manual only, and we all know how much this Market loves autos (even though I'd love to see Skoda bring in some manual-only models - they'd face criticism yes but for us manual drivers it'd be fine). I for one, would buy the 125TDI (0-100 in 8.4 seconds is pretty identical to the Octy RS TDI!).

I'll post pics of the Yeti from the motorshow soon :).

Great point about the autos, you can't sell a mainstream targeted car in oz without an auto unless you plan to fail. the 77 makes sense to me now.

K1W1
19-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I know that the reason for the model will be to be able to advertise a low entry level price but the Skoda market is not Dualis or RAV4 buyers and the huge flaw in the scheme will be stock. Nobody but nobody is going to buy an el cheapo $29,990 (or whatever the price is) Yeti and then wait 3 months for delivery. For this nutty scheme to work dealers will have to have stock in their yards so buyers can walk around and buy a specific car on Saturday then pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday when the paperwork and PD has been completed.

RSwag
20-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I know that the reason for the model will be to be able to advertise a low entry level price but the Skoda market is not Dualis or RAV4 buyers and the huge flaw in the scheme will be stock. Nobody but nobody is going to buy an el cheapo $29,990 (or whatever the price is) Yeti and then wait 3 months for delivery. For this nutty scheme to work dealers will have to have stock in their yards so buyers can walk around and buy a specific car on Saturday then pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday when the paperwork and PD has been completed.

I understand your concerns Kiwi but u can't agree whole heartedly, I think the Dualus and Rav4 will be the hunting ground for sure. The 1.2TSi (if promoted and managed correctly) will be a wow factor point if difference. It's 0-100km/h is nit to far off the Rav 4 but the fuel efficiency is less than half in th real world.

And on top of that the drive reviews from europe have been very impressed with the 1.2tsi in the Yeti. The young mum audience do not want power, they want comfort, quality and efficency, I believe that this model will capture this audience which as a demographic far outway anyone who would buy the TDi 4x4 to tow or go semi-off road

woofy
20-10-2010, 06:32 PM
You haven't met my wife (young mum) she is still complaining about losing her sporty car and wants the RS as soon as she can get her hands on it. Teeny boppers and airheads don't care about power, but most women are wanting things with more go these days, the closer to 30 the more likely.

K1W1
20-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I think the Dualus and Rav4 will be the hunting ground for sure.

I'll give Skoda Australia a free tip.
People who go shopping for a Nissan Dualis or Toyota 2WD RAV4 would not in one hundred years contemplate buying a Skoda.
Why?
They want to buy now not in three or four months.
A Skoda is a European car therefore it will be expensive to maintain, spare parts will not be available, the resale value will be zero and without even checking they will know that the insurance costs will be astromical.
They will have to drive past 6 Nissan and 12 Toyota dealers to find one Skoda dealer.
There is no local Skoda dealer.
They are not going to buy a car that doesn't sponsor ACA or World of Sports or Masterchef and saturate their TV with ads.
Their friends at the Kinder, mothers goup, football club or school have never heard of Skoda (how do you pronounce that anyway?) and will advise them against it.
Wheels magazine will say that Yeti's are underpowered.
The SMH and Age will say that Yeti's are underpowered.

In 12 months time the 77kW Yeti will be having a run out just like the Roomster did. I hope I'm not correct but I fear I will be.

Jake02
20-10-2010, 09:42 PM
In 12 months time the 77kW Yeti will be having a run out just like the Roomster did. I hope I'm not correct but I fear I will be.

I hope you're wrong too, but I have to agree. Personally, I only care about the 103TDI 4x4 and I'm sure that'll sell well. The under-$30k road is a good road to travel on, but I fail to see why they can't just give it the 103TDI and make it lower specced - it'd be such a better offering.

I've been watching some YouTube vids on it and I have to say, the 118TSI sounds pretty good too!

PassatB6
21-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I'll give Skoda Australia a free tip.
People who go shopping for a Nissan Dualis or Toyota 2WD RAV4 would not in one hundred years contemplate buying a Skoda.
Why?
They want to buy now not in three or four months.
A Skoda is a European car therefore it will be expensive to maintain, spare parts will not be available, the resale value will be zero and without even checking they will know that the insurance costs will be astromical.
They will have to drive past 6 Nissan and 12 Toyota dealers to find one Skoda dealer.
There is no local Skoda dealer.
They are not going to buy a car that doesn't sponsor ACA or World of Sports or Masterchef and saturate their TV with ads.
Their friends at the Kinder, mothers goup, football club or school have never heard of Skoda (how do you pronounce that anyway?) and will advise them against it.
Wheels magazine will say that Yeti's are underpowered.
The SMH and Age will say that Yeti's are underpowered.

That was VW's story 10 years ago, now friends (long term Japanese car buyers) are talking about buying a Golf. It will happen for Skoda too maybe not straight away. People are taken by the 'cuteness' of the Yeti.

RSwag
21-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Kiwi, I think you hit on the single most important focal area for Skoda and that is the cost if their servicing. To be among the Jap stuff they need to forget about allowing dealers to screw customers with massive servicing costs as VW do. My Golf Wagon is covered by work but my wifes Golf hatch isn't. 30k service is a tiny $530 which in my mind is enough incentive to move it on which we will do before the next to more major serviced are due.

I've been told the 60k service is a pathetic $1400 before tyres brakes or discs are thrown into the equation, for god sales it's a 1.6 naturally aspirated petrol it's not anything special.

Skoda need to realize that your point is valid and the overall ownership costs need to be in context to the market they are competing in which will be Jap territory.

Transporter
21-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Some Japanese cars are as (or more) expensive to service than Skoda or VW. ;)

Jake02
21-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Some Japanese cars are as (or more) expensive to service than Skoda or VW. ;)

That's too true, mainly because a lot of Jap cars have 6-month (as opposed to 12-month for most Euro cars) service intervals. That's one of the most enjoyable things about my RS coming from my Subaru, we're not at the dealer every five minutes (touch wood)!

hooba
21-10-2010, 08:05 PM
That's too true, mainly because a lot of Jap cars have 6-month (as opposed to 12-month for most Euro cars) service intervals. That's one of the most enjoyable things about my RS coming from my Subaru, we're not at the dealer every five minutes (touch wood)!

Yup. My mazda, $220 every 6months or 10,000kms (I'd be lucky to do 5,000), not to mention the hassle of having to go in every 6 months.

brad
22-10-2010, 10:48 AM
i've convinced a few mates to look at Skoda & 2 have bought after test driving. They are "car people" though. None of the "normal" punters will even seek out a dealership.

My Sister just bought an EOS after having 2x Accords, a tarago, a commodore & 2x Mazdas. She wouldn't even look inside my Skoda when it was parked in the driveway & has been shocked that the interiors are very similar....... (She also didn't know the EOS was a cabrio until the salesman showed her).

Acceptance of the FWD Yeti will be interesting. Might do OK if it's reasonably grunty off the lights & fuel efficient in stop/start traffic. Insurance will be an issue because it's turbo. Also, people will think a 1.2 can't cut it simply because it's a 1.2 - neither my Dad or my FIL will buy anything less than a 2.5L because "they carry passengers" - never mind that the throttle never gets beyond 30% and the old duffers only drive 8,000km a year. People constantly comment to me "Gee your Skoda goes well for a 2 litre." Which is when I remind them it's a 1.8 - people are too set in their ways & expectations.

I hope the Yeti does well but so far, the buying public keep dissapointing me.

K1W1
22-10-2010, 03:43 PM
(She also didn't know the EOS was a cabrio until the salesman showed her).

Does she know that they are made in Portugal? :-)
That's not a reflection on the quality at all just that I bet she thinks it's made in Germany.

brad
22-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Does she know that they are made in Portugal? :-)
That's not a reflection on the quality at all just that I bet she thinks it's made in Germany.
Pearls before swine. As long as the black paint highlights whatever she has chosen to wear that day, she's happy. It will be one of those chronic oil burners because she never exceeds half throttle & didn't believe me when I told her to "drive with a bit of vigor" for the first 1000km.

We had a wedding last month. Was a cheapo job so we used the family cars. Father & Bride had the EOS. They had the top down to drive out of the street while the neighbours watched; drove out of sight and put it back up for the 5km drive to the ceremony; then stopped 500m from the ceremony and dropped the roof again so everyone could see them arrive in a Cabrio.

I really miss my old Mk3.5 cabrio but it wasn't about the pose, more the wind in the hair & the noise of the engine.

onyertod
22-10-2010, 05:14 PM
RE Servicing Costs. Why do we in Australia put up with this rip off?

Look at the VW UK deal:
From:Volkswagen offers fixed-price servicing package - Motoring News, Motoring - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/motoring-news/volkswagen-offers-fixedprice-servicing-package-1925250.html)

Volkswagen is offering all buyers of its new cars a fixed-price deal that provides three years of routine servicing for a fee of £250. The price is the same for all models, so represents a particularly attractive offer for buyers of the company's more expensive and sophisticated models such as the Touareg 4x4 and the Phaeton luxury saloon. Coverage is restricted to the first 30,000 miles of the car's life.
The new plan builds on those which Volkswagen Finance has been offering on selected models since 2007, and is transferable to subsequent owners if a car is sold on during the coverage period. Existing Volkswagen owners and buyers of used Volkswagens won't miss out; they are being offered a separate fixed-price servicing plan priced at £299.

K1W1
22-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Skoda also offer fixed price servicing in New Zealand (http://www.skoda.co.nz/?id=152).

For example:

Octavia vRS or Yeti 4 years / 60,000km - NZ$1950 or 6 years / 100,000km - NZ$4500.00

That's Aus$1500 and Aus$3500 at current exchange rates.

A Škoda Service Select package includes:
All scheduled maintenance up to the terms indicated
A set of brake pads is included in the 60,000 kilometre packages
A set of brake pads and discs is included in the 100,000 kilometre packages
A new set of front wiper blades at each service
Piece of mind in knowing that your vehicle is being serviced by trained technicians using genuine Škoda parts
Piece of mind in knowing how much your vehicle will cost to service
Protection from oil, parts and labour price increases

It's a very clever strategy because it totally locks owners into the Skoda network ensuring guaranteed business for the service departments and a chance to directly contact owners at the critical 60k and 100k times when many new car buyers trade their vehicles. If the policy is transferable (and there is no reason why it should not be) then it also adds to the resale value when you can sell a 50k or 60k car with a couple of years free servicing attached. Owner information will also always be up to date unlike many brands who know where the owner lived when they purchased the vehicle but who loose track of them fairly quickly after then.

Transporter
22-10-2010, 06:27 PM
RE Servicing Costs. Why do we in Australia put up with this rip off?

So, don't put up with it get your car serviced by independent.:?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk