PDA

View Full Version : Golf GTI DSG Turbo

ianpommi
03-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Just recently purchased new gti dsg, when first driving car, I found a relatively small application of power i.e. from 30Km to 50km would release that distinctive "whoosh" sound from the engine. However after 300km I wheel span the car from 1st gear up a hill with high revs and noticed what sounded like some misfire pops from the exhaust doing so. After this brief boy racer episode I have noticed the "whoosh" sound has been replaced with a low rumbling "popping" sound, some would describe as "farting"!. I still get the "whoosh" but from higher speeds and sometimes not always. I asked VW if this was normal and they said "yes".

I actually enjoyed the "whoosh" sound at low speed and revs, I think something has changed on the car after the wheel spin,

can anyone suggest a possible cause in sound change from the car?

and if so how do I get the "whoosh" back at low speed/revs?

Thanks
Ian

phaeton
03-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Welcome Ian :)

I'm laughing so hard at your comments great descriptions :D

Someone will know what all the "farting" / "whoosh" is all about ;)

ps moved thread here for you ;) (you'll get more responses)

itgwv
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Welcome Ian

I'm laughing so hard at your comments great descriptions :D

Someone will know what all the "farting" / "whoosh" is all about ;)

ps moved thread here for you (you'll get more responses)

My Mrs is still laughing with your response.

As for the farting and whoosh, mine use to have more of a whoomp sound which i quite liked. After changing exhaust to sports one no longer there as less back pressure. :( From my understanding the DSG changes gear so quick unburnt fuel is dumped down the exhaust and ignites causing the sounds heard. Kind of like anti lag really.:)

Hilton_K
04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Woosh is from the diverter valve and is normal, car needs to be on boost before letting off throttle before you hear it. Put car in 4th at 60 km and hour accelerate (foot flat) to 70 and let off throttle quickly, the woosh will still be there.

Dr Spine
04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I find that the volume and nature of the whoosh (fart) is dependent on how much the go pedal is depressed. In other words, the greater the pressure applied to the car to accelerate quickly, the more forceful the fart.....oops, sorry...Whoosh. Somewhat like real life actually!

I love the muffled almost subwoofer like dump (no pun intended) of sound when it changes gears under acceleration. I'm so glad that it doesn't have that loud gas release sound that the aftermarket "zit boy" racers seem to adore.