PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher in boot?

leck
02-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Was moving stuff around in the boot the other day and noticed a clip and strap on the left hand side which is empty. Looks about the right size for a fire extinguisher or something. Could one of you guys with a GTI let me know what should be there, or what its for?

Cheers :)

dodgeGTI
02-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Was moving stuff around in the boot the other day and noticed a clip and strap on the left hand side which is empty. Looks about the right size for a fire extinguisher or something. Could one of you guys with a GTI let me know what should be there, or what its for?

Cheers :)

I think fire extinguisher sounds about right.
I fits my tyre foam, chamy & washing mit nice and snug ;)

thepowercosmic
02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Not really the best place to put a extinguisher could possibly be for the first aid kit ? :???:

leck
02-05-2007, 12:07 PM
yeah its got me buggered. Reminded me that i need a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit though so it did achieve something :)

ACTGTI
02-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Apparently it's for first aid kit and those reflector hazard triangles. I think they come standard OS but not in Aust.

gtimk5
02-05-2007, 12:24 PM
The golf GTi has a place with a rubber srap fitted for the first aid kit on the LHS of the boot.
I actually have the genuine german VW motorsport first aid kit in my car and it is a perfect fit. Unfortunately those kits havent been available for years.:( Andrew:)

Spec83
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I have a small fire extinguisher in there - Fits perfectly and the strap ties it in nicley..!!! Should be an ADR requirement to have an extinguisher in every car.

Even though it is in the boot I would rather have one there than none at all - after an oil line split and spilt oil over my dump pipe in the 180 i have never been without one!!!

FL00DY
02-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I have a small fire extinguisher in there - Fits perfectly and the strap ties it in nicley..!!! Should be an ADR requirement to have an extinguisher in every car.

Even though it is in the boot I would rather have one there than none at all - after an oil line split and spilt oil over my dump pipe in the 180 i have never been without one!!!

Yeah but how many fire extinguishers do you see with a piece of rubber holding them down? I don't think it's very safe, my bet is the first-aid kit and/or safety triangle. But hey if the extinguisher fits, why not use it.

gtimk5
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM
I quite agree with Floody, a rubber strap is no holder for an extinguisher.
In a 60km/h crash test into a wall tests showed that a box of tissues sitting on a rear parcel shelf packed the same weight and impact as 9 bricks!!! :o
Cheers! :)

syncro
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
It's for the first aid kit or triangles.
VW fit the fire extinguisher in the front seat area.

Spec83
03-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah but how many fire extinguishers do you see with a piece of rubber holding them down? I don't think it's very safe, my bet is the first-aid kit and/or safety triangle. But hey if the extinguisher fits, why not use it.

It fits in there VERY snuggly (e.g. you have to jam it in there)... The rubber strap doesn't really serve a purpose... Has never moved a mm on me during some very spirited drives... but then again i havn't had an accident!!

I am just saying one fits, and i would rater have one than none at all from past experience :)

In a 60km/h crash test into a wall tests showed that a box of tissues sitting on a rear parcel shelf packed the same weight and impact as 9 bricks!!! :o
Cheers! :)

I think you will find this is physically impossible - tissues weigh ~100g.... I think mythbusters did this exact same thing and the tissues didn't even move off the rear parcel tray..

FL00DY
03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
It fits in there VERY snuggly (e.g. you have to jam it in there)... The rubber strap doesn't really serve a purpose... Has never moved a mm on me during some very spirited drives... but then again i havn't had an accident!!

I am just saying one fits, and i would rater have one than none at all from past experience :)If you read my post VERY closely you would find that I said "But hey if the extinguisher fits, why not use it."

And i have heard those rumors too - it is physically impossible for tissues to have the weight of 9 bricks in a 60km/h impact....

You can quote multiple people in a post by clicking the "+ button next to the Quote button, then click the reply button.

dodgeGTI
03-05-2007, 11:52 AM
And i have heard those rumors too - it is physically impossible for tissues to have the weight of 9 bricks in a 60km/h impact....

9 or 90 bricks, what's it matter?? the area we are talking about is in the boot and unless you're in the mob you shouldn't have anyone riding back there.

Spec83
03-05-2007, 03:44 PM
If you read my post VERY closely you would find that I said "But hey if the extinguisher fits, why not use it."

You can quote multiple people in a post by clicking the "+ button next to the Quote button, then click the reply button.

I do realise that - just hit reply instead of edit :) All fixed now!! j:

gtimk5
03-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Years ago I watched a crash test at the police academy down here. The test was done in USA and in the crash into a wall at 35 MPH (60 km/h), the tissues took the dummies head off.
However I am not saying not to use the rubber strap if you are happy with it.
Cams require a mounting that will hold an extinguisher at some incredible force. I was initually knocked back at the bug in hillclimb for having my extinguisher wrapped up in the glovebox. I have seen a couple of competition cars with the things cable tied to the cage!!!! Crazy!
All good, cheers, Andrew :)

FL00DY
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Years ago I watched a crash test at the police academy down here. The test was done in USA and in the crash into a wall at 35 MPH (60 km/h), the tissues took the dummies head off.
However I am not saying not to use the rubber strap if you are happy with it.
Cams require a mounting that will hold an extinguisher at some incredible force. I was initually knocked back at the bug in hillclimb for having my extinguisher wrapped up in the glovebox. I have seen a couple of competition cars with the things cable tied to the cage!!!! Crazy!
All good, cheers, Andrew :)

Oh yeah for sure CAMS would never let you compete with a extinguisher held on with a rubber strap, but it also needs to be easily accessible.

Spec83
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Yer guys understand the CAMS thing - just for road use it is ok thou.. the strap doesn't hold it in wedging it in does :)

beefa
04-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Yer guys understand the CAMS thing - just for road use it is ok thou.. the strap doesn't hold it in wedging it in does :)

This is a g-up right ? No offence, but youd be silly to think that this rubber strap would be suitable for holding a fire extinguisher.

VWindahouse
04-05-2007, 08:02 PM
This is a g-up right ? No offence, but youd be silly to think that this rubber strap would be suitable for holding a fire extinguisher.

That's funny the dealer told me on delivery that is was for a fire extinguisher and the polo comes standard with one in the UK!!! :?

dodgeGTI
04-05-2007, 08:24 PM
chances are they're right. You've got to look at it from the point of view that this car is delivered as is for day to day driving not rallying. Hence the factory tyres, wheels, suspension etc.. If you want to rally it you've got to mod these things. Same goes for the fire extinguisher bracket I guess. :)

Wand Weaver
04-05-2007, 08:38 PM
That's funny the dealer told me on delivery that is was for a fire extinguisher and the polo comes standard with one in the UK!!! :?

I asked about it - I was told it's for a standard automotive First Aid Kit, which is standard fitment in some countries (but not Australia). Presumably, the kits come in some sort of standard size.

A fire extinguisher is actually a pretty heavy piece of equipment for their size - I'm not sure a rubber strap is going to hold it in place in the event of a decent accident (which is exactly when you'd want one). Most fire extinguishers I've seen in cars have been fitted onto brackets bolted in the passenger-side footwell (just in front of the seat runners).

VEEDUB69
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Come on guys, tell me who needs a bloody fire extinguisher, if my car is on fire I'm gettin outta there fast not going into the boot! Insurance can take care of it. Perhaps the most useless invention since the 3-wheeled car :???:

Ben_GTI
05-05-2007, 01:30 AM
And it makes for more believable insurance jobs too.

"its burnt down, there was nothing I could do, the car doesn't come with a fire extinguisher."

Spec83
05-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Guys...!!! The strap does not hold the extinguisher in... i don't believe the bracket is for an extinguisher... it's just i had one from when i used to compete in CAASQ (was manditory) and thought "hey it might fit"... With a bit of pushing my extinguiser is just the right size to wedge in there securley!!! The strap does NOTHING!!!

Now in an accident the extinguisher would remain the boot compartmetn and pose no threat to occupants... and its more a piece of mind thing.... e.g. in my 180 the oil line split, dropped 4L of oil on the dump pipe and went up.. only a small fire but no extinguisher in site. By the time i got a bucket of water the bonnet was burnt, all the LHS firewall wiring was burnt along with a number of lines, O2 sensor etc.... If i had an extinguisher it would ahve been out in 10-15 secs... I learnt the hard way so just offering some advice so people don't suffer the same fate :)

VWindahouse
05-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Come on guys, tell me who needs a bloody fire extinguisher, if my car is on fire I'm gettin outta there fast not going into the boot! Insurance can take care of it. Perhaps the most useless invention since the 3-wheeled car :???:

Yes but it's nice to know that if you come across an accident with a small child trapped in the back seat and its unconcious mother in the front. You could extinguish the fire and save a life or two. Not such a bad idea in my opinion...

VEEDUB69
05-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Yes but it's nice to know that if you come across an accident with a small child trapped in the back seat and its unconcious mother in the front. You could extinguish the fire and save a life or two. Not such a bad idea in my opinion...

Ok :-) but what are the odds of that happening, really :???:

Spec83
08-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok :-) but what are the odds of that happening, really :???:

Some ppl like to learn the hard way....

leck
08-05-2007, 01:21 PM
one of the guys i work with was an ses controller up the country for about 15 years and hes pulled people out of cars so many times its not funny. Heard lots and lots of stories, all bad.

The odds are not great, but if the number comes up, ****ed if im getting cooked from the feet up because im trapped by the wheel/dash OR if im going to sit and watch it happen to some poor bastard in front of me who WAS unlucky enough to have a nasty stack.

I've dealt with serious burn victims before from house fires and its not pretty.

Fire extinguisher + first aid kit clearly visible should be standard in every car. If they are used once in the time they are there, chances are its going to save a serious amount of damage from occuring to cars/people.

ACTGTI
08-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I agree, first aid kit and fire extinguisher should be a requirement in Australia IMO. Fire extinguisher should be braced properly though. I have heard stories of subwoofers managing to smash through the boot lid of a sedan in a head on (landed 20 metres away from the wreck. So I doubt the shelf in a hatchback is going to stop anything in a severe crash.

bluey
25-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Safety triangle belongs in the horizontal nook between boot lip and boot floor.

Kiel_GTI
25-10-2008, 09:18 PM
i was told by VW sales guy it was for a fire extinguisher

bluey
25-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I think I was told the metal bracket on the left side of the boot was for the fire extinguisher. The safety triangle symbol is moulded in the plastic trim.

Owner's manual confirms left side boot strap is for first aid kit.

Found these photos of an OEM ?Audi fire extinguisher bracket (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1829021&postcount=1) for under the passenger's seat.

leasaunce
26-10-2008, 07:50 AM
i was told by VW sales guy it was for a fire extinguisher

on the side or the one near the boot lid? (on the side, its for the first aid kit, as the guy previous to me said).
The fire extinguisher I got from bunnings fits perfectly on the side. :)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

bluey
26-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Anyone looking for inspiration on how to mount a fire extinguisher in the cabin - see this site about an aftermarket Porsche bracket (http://www.speedtactics.com/porsche_extinguisher.php) that attaches to the front seat mounts.

Alternatively, there is a BMW OEM bracket (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=UC71&mospid=50607&btnr=52_3199&hg=52&fg=95)

Plus they can use a halogen gas extinguisher. Why can't we get those here??? Dry powder makes an awful mess of the dash. (But less than an uncontrolled electrical fire.)

Heres a cool OEM extinguisher mount for a VW Phaeton (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1635303) - hiding under carpet.

More alternative sites for extinguishers in VWs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=226251) - top of thread like the Porsche one above but home madehttp://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/leavinglv/fire-ext1.jpg; bottom of thread shows a boot mountinghttp://www.ridejudge.com/Rides2/23630.jpg.