PDA

View Full Version : Golf GT on volkswagen.com.au

GTTDI
02-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Been trying this for a few weeks

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/golf/model_GT.asp

Was working as of 1/5/07 at 2345 (+8 GMT)

Have screen grab if it gets removed again if anyone is interested :rolleyes:

SOHC
02-05-2007, 02:44 AM
thanks heaps, did they try and delete it after they got that online?
I will be going for a test drive on sunday...yay!

phaeton
02-05-2007, 08:13 AM
WOW thanks for the tip GTTDI ;)

and Welcome to the forums :)

ps where is the GT TDI :(

brackie
02-05-2007, 08:14 AM
That fuel consumption figure is getting into diesel territory! And the performance is better (although I wonder about the torque... are numbers available?)

What would happen if VW added a supercharger to the TDI?

phaeton
02-05-2007, 08:35 AM
brackie VW have been experimenting with a combined Diesel & Petrol engine while not a supercharger its very interesting tech.

A new generation of engines

Revolution within sight: CCS process promises potential for new era of engines

Diesel and gasoline engines meld into one: CCS combustion process for the world of tomorrow

The best of the gasoline and diesel worlds unified in one engine? Sounds like illusion and revolution. But it is feasible: Volkswagen is working intensively on trials for just such an engine system, which could become reality within the next decade. The name of this new engine technology: CCS. These code letters stand for “Combined Com*bustion System”, and they might also possibly stand for the engine of the future. And it can already be experienced in Touran prototypes.

Innovative mixing process
The decisive breakthrough in CCS technology is the in*novative mixing process in which the principles of direct-injection gasoline (TSI) and direct-injection diesel (TDI) meld together. Volkswagen is exploiting its many years of broad-based experience by its brands in both gasoline and diesel areas, and is unifying their strengths. “The gasoline engine contributes the homogeneous fuel-air mixture and low emissions to the CSS process, while the diesel contributes its self-ignition and low fuel consumption”, explains Dr. Wolfgang Steiger, Director of Powertrain Research at Volkswagen Corporate Research. A look at the TSI and TDI worlds clarifies what is meant here:

In gasoline engines mixing occurs as described below based on special properties of the fuels. In the case of direct injection TSI engines from Volkswagen the liquid fuel is injected in the intake stroke, while the piston moves downward. As soon as it reverses its direction in the compression stroke it compresses the mixture and heats it. When the piston reaches “top dead center” (TDC), the fuel is evaporated and uniformly (homogeneously) distributed; a short time later the spark plug ignites the gas cloud. In the diesel engine a considerably different combustion process occurs. Here the fuel is injected when the piston is near TDC, and the air in the combustion chamber has been significantly compressed and heated. The diesel fuel then self-ignites in the hot air. In modern diesel engines combustion frequently does not occur until relatively far after TDC; this especially reduces NOx emissions but at the same time increases fuel consumption.

The world between diesel and gasoline engines
The CCS process lies midway between diesel and gasoline principles. In homogeneous operation CCS engine injection already begins while the piston is traveling upward and the air compresses. Using common rail injectors taken from diesel engines the injection process can be distributed to different cycles and can be metered precisely.

While the piston continues its upward travel, the fuel and air are compressed and heated; the fuel evaporates to form a largely homogeneous gas cloud comparable to that of the TSI engine. In homogeneous mode, combustion is initiated as shortly as possible after TDC, without requiring an external spark (analogous to the diesel). Theoretically the mixture ignites at an infinite number of points simultaneously. Quasi homogeneous combustion near TDC makes it possible to achieve both low emissions and even greater fuel economy compared to the already economical TDI.

Exhaust gas recirculation eliminates nitrogen oxides
The CCS engine operates with a very high gas recirculation rate (EGR rate). The oxygen-poor, recirculated exhaust gas makes several important contributions. It ensures that combustion is not initiated too early and that temperatures or hot spots do not develop that would generate nitrogen oxides. In the CCS process with its uniform combustion there are practically no zones of rich mixture in the combustion chamber. Therefore (in contrast to the diesel) hardly any soot appears, which otherwise would be the shortcoming of high AGR rates.

A first research engine based on a two-liter TDI in the Touran prototype that is currently in an early developmental stage already realizes five percent fuel savings compared to a conventional diesel utilizing an optimized fuel, and it simultaneously reduces NOx and soot emissions significantly.

SynFuel and SunFuel® as replacements for crude oil
The basic precondition for full implementation of the CCS combustion process is a new designer fuel. It helps to achieve homogeneous combustion. Fully aware of the key role played by the fuel issue, engineers at the Volkswagen corporation have been working intensively in this area for many years. The focus of research is on fuels obtained synthetically from natural gas (SynFuel) or biomass (SunFuel®). SynFuel and SunFuel® are free of sulfur and aromatic compounds, and this by itself drastically reduces raw emissions. Within certain constraints their compositions and therefore their properties, especially boiling temperatures and cetane ratings, can be freely defined in the design, and the fuels can be produced in high quality, reliably and reproducibly. In principle, this makes the two fuels ideally suited for use in the CCS engine (see also detailed discussion of the separate topic of “synthetic fuels”). They are energy sources of the immediate future. That these fuels will also drive the combustion engine of the future – “the CCS” – is almost guaranteed. As is so often the case, it is just a matter of time.

GTTDI
02-05-2007, 09:26 AM
sometimes web people remove links when its not quite finsihed. The links etc out of the page aren't working yet.

I have some hope for the GT TDI since it says "powered by TSI" but when the heck is it coming and why are we always left perched on the end of our seats ?

Also, it looks like 5 door only which for me is disappointing!!

phaeton
02-05-2007, 10:02 AM
sometimes web people remove links when its not quite finsihed. The links etc out of the page aren't working yet.

I have some hope for the GT TDI since it says "powered by TSI" but when the heck is it coming and why are we always left perched on the end of our seats ?

Also, it looks like 5 door only which for me is disappointing!!

Ok heres my pretty big guess..........

I believe VGAs thinking is this, GT TDI will come in 2008MY and this engine may possibly finally be fitted to Passat for 08MY.

On the 5dr thing, I'd be patient specs have not been officially released yet ;)

brackie
02-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Firstly, it's possible to produce liquid fuel from natural gas (and indeed coal) already. As soon as you begin processing either of these hydrocarbons it incurs a cost penalty so these fuels will definitely be more expensive so negating the fuel consumption saving. I applaud any move to use natural gas as a transport fuel as its lower pollution potential, relative abundance and ease of extraction makes it stretch our fuel fossil reserves beyond the limits of oil. Better still is a renewable biofuel, however as I've said before the land area necessary to grow enough of this to satisfy transport fuel needs is beyond the planet's capabilities. We're already struggling to feed the world and the predicted effects of climate change will make arable land very valuable indeed.

So, the VW initiative is commendable and I'm sure that enough research has been done into sourcing, processing and distributing the necessary synfuels for VW to continue developing the engine. As to when will we see it?

Mañana, mañana, mañana ..........

And servos with synfuel pumps for VW (only) cars?

Mañana, mañana, mañana ..........

gpk_gti
02-05-2007, 10:37 AM
anyone got a idea of pricing yet of the GT???

phaeton
02-05-2007, 10:56 AM
anyone got a idea of pricing yet of the GT???

Between Sportline & GTI so $36K-$38K ;)

GoLfMan
02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
what about APR upgrades for the GT-TDI, what kind of power could they extract out of it by flashing it? Are APR bringing out an upgrade for it??? surely?!?!

GTTDI
02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
On the 5dr thing, I'd be patient specs have not been officially released yet ;)

Here's hoping.

Although, I have been bugging both VW dealers in perth. One says 3 door only other says 5 door only. Not too much of a suprise there, only consistent point is one configuration only.

Still suppose we have to wait and see, pictures are 5 door though :(

And better not be 38K too close to GTI to resist buying that.

flightlessbird
02-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Some are being driven by the inhabitants of B.S. Castle in Lord St, but have been unable to snag one for look/drive

poloplayer
02-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Apparently the car is utter crap though...

phaeton
03-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Here's hoping.

Although, I have been bugging both VW dealers in perth. One says 3 door only other says 5 door only. Not too much of a suprise there, only consistent point is one configuration only.

Still suppose we have to wait and see, pictures are 5 door though

And better not be 38K too close to GTI to resist buying that.

LOL Dealers :D

On the pricing thats just my guess ;) VGA may have a surprise for us ?

Apparently the car is utter crap though...

Everything I've read about TSI is very positive and it wouldn't have won Engine of the Year if it was crap :D ;)

GTTDI
03-05-2007, 04:16 PM
On the pricing thats just my guess ;) VGA may have a surprise for us ?

I'm suprised that the sportline model is still going to be on the menu here.

Correct me if I'm wrong 2.0 TDI Sportline was hard to get in oz for a while, 2.0FSI is being phased out, in fact is pretty much gone in Europe/UK markets (was this the reason for recent offer on 2.0FSI comfortline?). If I was VGA, I would kill sportline, having 2.0TDI, 1.6FSI available in comfortline maybe bring in the 1.4 TSI 103kW Comfortline and the have the 1.4 125kW TSI and 2.0 125kW TDI engines for GT. So making the pricing the same as the current sportline? Makes for easy differentiation between model ranges and solves pricing issues vs GTI.

Just my 5cents

briseos
04-05-2007, 11:43 AM
The problem with the Sportline in Aus was the importers - they stripped out most of the 'extras' that should be included in the sportline "top of the line" - instead of the Climate Controlled aircon, bigger wheels with sport suspension, and a few other things being ADDED to the Comfortline level specs, they took out the auto lights/wipers etc so the price was kept down. Yet, when they brought out the Jettas, all the specs were included for the one price.

Nevertheless, I personally chose the Sportline TDi in 2005 (and waited 4 months for the 'privilege') for the much improved handling characteristics and the climate control dual zone aircon - both have proven to be worth the wait. The Sportline 2.0TDi in DSG is the best car of the Golf range, even including the GTI in some ways as the GTI seats are a little extreme if you have a fat arse or bad back.... and I can still keep with my GTI mates on a brisk run for almost half the fuel!!:cool:

GTTDI
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Very interesting, in the UK, the "Sport" model Range and "GT" model range are being merged into one model range. Now if they would just get on with selling them in australia!!

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/golf/gtsport

DaveMack
08-05-2007, 12:26 AM
thanks heaps, did they try and delete it after they got that online?
I will be going for a test drive on sunday...yay!

This model is here already? Might go in for a test drive myself ... just get a feel of it. :D

Dave

phaeton
08-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Very interesting, in the UK, the "Sport" model Range and "GT" model range are being merged into one model range. Now if they would just get on with selling them in australia!!

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/golf/gtsport

Thats a very interesting development, I'm sure Wolfsburg will watch and see how it sells.

GTTDI
15-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Think we are getting very close to launch now

Check out below

http://www.volkswagentsi.com.au/

GoLfMan
15-05-2007, 08:47 PM

Check out below

where did you get the Mk4 GTTDI's from?!?! 2 of them thats amazing! how do they drive? :D

Wand Weaver
15-05-2007, 09:17 PM

Check out below

That's a really, really bad Photoshop on the numberplate. They may as well have left it blank because the bad photoshop detracts from the rest of the site because it sticks out like the proverbial dog's balls.

phaeton
15-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the link GTTDI ;)

GTTDI
15-05-2007, 11:15 PM
where did you get the Mk4 GTTDI's from?!?! 2 of them thats amazing! how do they drive? :D

Sorry to disappoint, but they are the cars I had in the UK. I'm new at the car forums thing. I am supposed to own them currently if they are on my signature ?

More importantly, how did they drive:

The 110PS was good, but the 150PS was steamin' and didn't use much more fuel than the 110PS. The 150PS was way faster than the current 140PS,
probably a bit much as the ESP seemed to be on alot and a bit of severe torque steer under hard acceleration. Unfortunately I have not yet had the opportunity to drive new 170PS TDI.

I really should have looked into what was available here and shipped it, but there was too much to organise at the time and I was worried about getting it serviced here and parts etc.

GoLfMan
16-05-2007, 07:22 AM
dam thats a bummer mate :( you cant get them here and the only TDi's that are available in large numbers are the current MKV... Parts for the mk4 wouldnt have been to hard to find!
bummer... you should have bough it over, sounds like an awesome car that Aussie's will never have :(

GTTDI
16-05-2007, 11:30 AM
you should have bough it over, sounds like an awesome car that Aussie's will never have :(

yeah was a bit of a dummy

I even still had it at Xmas because, would you believe, I was having difficulty getting it sold in the UK there was that many of them.