PDA

View Full Version : How to remove radio from 2010/11 Polo (77tsi)?

smitzer6
04-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I want to install an 'xcarlink' ipod adaptor into my new polo (I don't want the stock standard one as when they install it they put it in the glove box, I want it over to the right of the driver attached to a cradle for the iphone, plus I've used xcarlink in my current car and like it.)

Does anyone know how to remove the radio (RCD310) from the polo (77tsi), or a link to an already made walkthrough for it.

I've been on google for hours but I can't seem to find it for this model, only previous years.

Cheers.

kaanage
04-10-2010, 12:35 PM
From the look of the console (both in pictures and from my visit to the dealer) the radio housing is identical to that of the Golf MkVI so you should be able to pop out the surround with a thin plastic scraper or similar (someone in another thread mentioned using a credit card). Then it is just held in by 4 Torx headed bolts (in the Golf).

Have a look through the Golf radio threads for more details.

smitzer6
04-10-2010, 12:44 PM
thanks for the speedy response,

I saw those instructions, and I hope you're right, would be nice if it were that easy but I read other posts where they said you need to remove the vents then undo bolts for the climate control to take off the fascia for the polo (though not sure if it was 2009 onwards).

Has anyone installed or seen an installation of an ipod adapter into a 2010 polo that can confirm you can just 'pop' out the fascia and unscrew the radio?

Allegiance
04-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I put a Pioneer unit in my Polo, I can confirm you pop off the fascia and remove the 4 torx screws. Exactly the same as a Golf, no need to take off climate control or anything like that. I used a thin butter knife :P

smitzer6
04-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Allegiance, Kaanage, you've made my day. Thank you very much.

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 02:00 PM
I put a Pioneer unit in my Polo, I can confirm you pop off the fascia and remove the 4 torx screws. Exactly the same as a Golf, no need to take off climate control or anything like that. I used a thin butter knife :P

What he said.... because he had already done it!!!

Rob Burns
08-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Instead of using a butter knife there is a special trim tool available through VW. It costs next to nothing yet is the most amazing tool I have ever used for trim work. I've used it daily and it has never damaged any trim nor has it broken. If you're interested I'll try and get a part number for it.

Allegiance
08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Instead of using a butter knife there is a special trim tool available through VW. It costs next to nothing yet is the most amazing tool I have ever used for trim work. I've used it daily and it has never damaged any trim nor has it broken. If you're interested I'll try and get a part number for it.

I'm sure I have seen VW using a butter knife in the service department :P

smitzer6
12-10-2010, 01:00 PM

I'd appreciate the part number, I may as well look into it. Cheers.