PDA

View Full Version : respray, how much?

Sam O'Neill
30-12-2005, 04:18 PM
hi

has anyone resprayed a mk1 golf lately, how much did it cost?

Golf Loon
30-12-2005, 05:45 PM
I got one done at a panelbeaters on the cheap. It took ages, cos they did it between other jobs. But they did engine bay, boot and rest of car in 2 pac metallic. $1500. Thats a cheap price though.

You could buy the paint for $100 and do it yourself.

Sam O'Neill
30-12-2005, 08:00 PM
If $1500 is cheap, what do you reckon an average price would be on a full respray in preferably 2 pac, or acrylic? the colour I'm looking at is a light blue. Someone told me it was called dolphin blue, it's an original volkswagen colour and a matt finish.
What are your views on Acrylic v. 2 pac

joshyd-mk2gti
30-12-2005, 08:51 PM
ive never had a car resprayed, but i can imagine you get what you pay for. you could probably save a few $$'s if you did some of the prep work yourself, like sanding and all that jazz.

Golf Loon
30-12-2005, 09:39 PM
If you do some prep yourself and dont paint the engine bay or boot, you will save money. When I got mine done everyone wanted $3000-$4000 which is heaps for an old car. That said its lots of work and I dont want to do it all myself. I visited lots of spraypainters and the good ones will show you a car they have sprayed.

I took mine there as a shell, no engine glass etc, so there was no masking, just sanding. My car is sooooo shiny, but serious hassle doing the engine bay etc, as you cant touch it with tools, as it`ll get scratched. The next car I get painted will be a runner and I`ll just paint the bits that show.

Bizzarely you often dont save that much money by sanding it back yourself, as panelbeaters have better sanders than we do and they simply use the old paint as undercoat for the new primer.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

syncro
31-12-2005, 05:41 AM
the colour I'm looking at is a light blue. Someone told me it was called dolphin blue, it's an original volkswagen colour and a matt finish.
What are your views on Acrylic v. 2 pac

Dolphin Blue is a dark colour. For '76 only there was a Flipper Blue.

2pac would be my choice unless I was painting it myself.

aprr32
31-12-2005, 05:13 PM
It cost me $5000.00 to paint my 914 in white 2 pack and that includes me taking everything off the car and paying to get it bead blasted. There wasn't much panel work to do but the paint is perfect. You really do get what you pay for and if you want good, you pay good.

Golfwise
31-12-2005, 09:43 PM
If you are on a budget have a go yourself.
You can buy a lot of painting equipment for $3000 plus you would get charged and you can use your gear over and over.
Hot day in a clean shed 2 pack
Any other time in average conditions Acrylic, its easier to fix mistakes.
Keep away from pearls and COB colours.
Good luck :D

imported_brackie
01-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Spray pianting ain't that hard in acrylic. (It's not that hard in enamel either, as long as you don't over-apply and get runs and you need a perfectly dust-free environment.) Trick is (with acrylic) to keep the paint thin and apply lots of coats keeping the gun moving all of the time and cutting the air at the end of each stroke. I've had no experience with metallic or clearkote, but the acrylic jobs I've done have turned out OK with minimal buffing. And yes, Wise One, the philosphy of buying the gear for an equivalent (or cheaper) price than getting the job done is a good one as you can use it time and time again saving money as you go. :wink:

brisvegas_golf2
02-01-2006, 05:28 PM
i'm a spraypainter, and it's true what they say you only get what you pay for. a respary will cost around about $4500 to $5000. and add an extra $1000 to $1500 for a colour change because of all the extra work involved. i would go 2pac over acrylic anyday, simply because acrylic never goes hard, and dosn't last as long.

Gas
03-01-2006, 07:48 AM
I got my one respray bout 4 months ago but they same ppl that did matts car.. mine cost 2000 just the outside and i think it was more cos the car wasnt stripped and it was a totally different colour.. it was beige but was cahnged to phoneix yellow which was a BMW colour

Matts seen the car and it looks good.. and considering that it cost 2000 its a pretty good job..... i was ringing around and the cheapest i was getting was 3500

Golf Loon
03-01-2006, 08:13 AM
This is what Gastons car looked like shortly after the respray

http://xs62.xs.to/pics/06011/P1100004.JPG (http://xs.to)

I dont approve of the non genuine colour, but the finish is pretty good.

aprr32
03-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Nice wheels ha ha

Golf Loon
03-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah Gas, why are your slick wheels in the garage and your cookie cutters are still on the car? Lazy Lazy

Gas
04-01-2006, 10:00 AM
U said it mate.... its the lazy bit....