PDA

View Full Version : is it me or is it the car

kinezo
30-04-2007, 11:20 PM
hey guys, ive jsut noticed something!
ive been drivign the car for a solid 2 weeks now and ive been driving really hard since ive picked it up from the dealer! he did sa the only way to drive it is hard! so yeh ive been thumping it a fairbit and im starting to feel like im negelecting it! anyways
ive noticed that its gettign a bit slower(the feel of it) is it me or is the car getting slower! i want to think that its just me getting use to it but i wanna know what you guys think and how you guys have been driving ur GTIs,

and this might be a stupid question but what is an ideal way of driving the GTI i mean the only way to drive a porsche is to thump it, is it the same dealw ith a GTI? and i know if u drive a merc, the only way to drive that is drive it like how ur grandma drives.
lol

anyways im happy to hear any suggestions and views
thanks

rabbitoh
01-05-2007, 07:19 AM
hey guys, ive jsut noticed something!
ive been drivign the car for a solid 2 weeks now and ive been driving really hard since ive picked it up from the dealer! he did sa the only way to drive it is hard! so yeh ive been thumping it a fairbit and im starting to feel like im negelecting it! anyways
ive noticed that its gettign a bit slower(the feel of it) is it me or is the car getting slower! i want to think that its just me getting use to it but i wanna know what you guys think and how you guys have been driving ur GTIs,

and this might be a stupid question but what is an ideal way of driving the GTI i mean the only way to drive a porsche is to thump it, is it the same dealw ith a GTI? and i know if u drive a merc, the only way to drive that is drive it like how ur grandma drives.
lol

anyways im happy to hear any suggestions and views
thanks

G'day kinezo,

Have not got my R32 yet but from reading this (and other) forums there is supposed to be a running in period of at least a 1K from what I understand. I know from running in my Alfa, I stayed below 4000 rpm, not sure what the magic number is for the GTi.

Actually since I posted, can anyone tell me what is the ideal running in procedure for the R32?

gtimk5
01-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi Rabbitoh,
I drove my GTI moderately hard right from the start, that is not to the redline but to about 5000 RPM. My experience in the trade is that a lot of cars that are "babied" during the run in period dont neccesarily go as well later on. With 1500 beetles you could always tell a babied one later on with burnt valves for some reason! :?
With the GTI I didnt find any drop off in power and I flashed it, did the exhaust and intake at around 1800 Kms.
I think with Porsches around built up areas they might need a rev or two to stop from fouling up?
Running in procedures can bring many different ideas from people, I have ru in so many of my own cars over the years and I have never had any oil usage problems, even with my competition Golf which could only be run in one way, flat out! His motor was freshened up every 12/18 months with rings and bearings just as an insurance, not a neccesity.
Mid range revs to a max of 5000ish rpm should be fine by your GTi and Kinezo's R32. Never let it labour too low in the revs for too long though. That is a bit hard to do with these motors though!
Congratulations on your new purchase too and I hope your R32 arrives real soon Kinezo! :)
Cheers, Andrew :)

dodgeGTI
01-05-2007, 10:47 AM
G'day kinezo,

Have not got my R32 yet but from reading this (and other) forums there is supposed to be a running in period of at least a 1K from what I understand. I know from running in my Alfa, I stayed below 4000 rpm, not sure what the magic number is for the GTi.

Actually since I posted, can anyone tell me what is the ideal running in procedure for the R32?

VW quoted stay below 3/4s of the max power for the first 1000kms.

rabbitoh
01-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi Rabbitoh,
I drove my GTI moderately hard right from the start, that is not to the redline but to about 5000 RPM. My experience in the trade is that a lot of cars that are "babied" during the run in period dont neccesarily go as well later on. With 1500 beetles you could always tell a babied one later on with burnt valves for some reason! :?
With the GTI I didnt find any drop off in power and I flashed it, did the exhaust and intake at around 1800 Kms.
I think with Porsches around built up areas they might need a rev or two to stop from fouling up?
Running in procedures can bring many different ideas from people, I have ru in so many of my own cars over the years and I have never had any oil usage problems, even with my competition Golf which could only be run in one way, flat out! His motor was freshened up every 12/18 months with rings and bearings just as an insurance, not a neccesity.
Mid range revs to a max of 5000ish rpm should be fine by your GTi and Kinezo's R32. Never let it labour too low in the revs for too long though. That is a bit hard to do with these motors though!
Congratulations on your new purchase too and I hope your R32 arrives real soon Kinezo! :)

Thanks Andrew. I think you were referring to my R32 ;). Cannot wait

kinezo
01-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi Rabbitoh,

lol
yeh i think ur refering to rabbitohs r32, i have a T-red GTI mk5!!! lol