PDA

View Full Version : when to rev

poloplayer
30-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey guys, how many k's should I have done before I can get the engine up to 5800rpm to get max power?

shaneth
30-04-2007, 06:22 PM
mate i dont think theres a specific amount. From everything i have heard, vw bench test every motor. so they already slightly been run in. i was told to drive it now like you plan on driving it in the future. so i went rather hard but that doesnt mean floggin the crap out of it either. Just take it higher in rpm as you keep driving it. I think it took me a week to hit 5,800 first but then probably another week before i did it again.

natee
30-04-2007, 07:07 PM
despite what the manual says, my dealer told me to basically drive it like i stole it at least every now and then to 'run in' my car :)

beefa
30-04-2007, 07:36 PM
As per the above, I found that the motor started to losen up a little as it got towards 1000km... I didnt hit redline until then, but still drove it reasonably hard.

While the motors are bench run, im not sure how hard they are run in, and I would hazard a guess that its only the engine and not the gearbox/drive train etc

I found it also used more fuel during the first 500-1000kms which would support that there is still some bedding in to be done when you pick it up.

FL00DY
30-04-2007, 07:56 PM
If you've babied it, you'll be slower then someone who has gunned it every where. First weekend I had mine I did bout 800km, most of that was between a max of 4Krpm-5Krpm

5800rpm might be redline, but power starts to die between 5000rpm & 5500rpm.

leck
30-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I drove mine normally from the day i got it, not particularly hard but with the odd squirt here and there.

With a couple of thousand on the clock, it does feel more consistent and i am slowly unleashing it. Part of that is coming with learning how to drive it well and where the power is i suppose.

Looking forward to a couple of mods and a track day or two to really get it up and dancing.

h100vw
30-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Were I ever to have a brand new motor I'd be doing what this fella says.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Gavin

shaneth
30-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Gavin

Yep i have read that and have also had someone recommended me following it. Also TRD recommend the same breakin style.

h100vw
30-04-2007, 08:34 PM
It's all about sticking a good amount of load on the motor for as long as possible, long drags up hills being ideal. Without overheating it.

Formula 1 teams and superbikes don't have hours to spend running in their motors.

Gavin

gpk_gti
30-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Gavin

this is exactly what i did with my new vr6 when i got it,,and WOW it was really quick.all the mechs that drove it a vw always said it was the fastest vr6 they ever drove and thats without any engine mods apart from the usual suspects.I drove it hard from the day i got it.never any problems with it either.The salesman told me when i bought it to drive it like i stole it AND I DID!!!:D

dodgeGTI
01-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Hey guys, how many k's should I have done before I can get the engine up to 5800rpm to get max power?

The manual says to stay below 3/4s of max power for the first 1000kms.

Get the manual out of your glovebox and give it a good read when you get home tonight. There is a fair bit in there to learn.

dodgeGTI
01-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Formula 1 teams and superbikes don't have hours to spend running in their motors.

Gavin

True, but I doubt any of us have to coin to change over engines as often as F1 and motoGP teams.

poloplayer
01-05-2007, 04:48 PM
If you've babied it, you'll be slower then someone who has gunned it every where. First weekend I had mine I did bout 800km, most of that was between a max of 4Krpm-5Krpm

5800rpm might be redline, but power starts to die between 5000rpm & 5500rpm.

5800 isnt redline, and VW say that peak power of 110kw is at 5800rpm.

FL00DY
01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
5800 isnt redline, and VW say that peak power of 110kw is at 5800rpm.

oops who put that 5 in place of the 6 ;) Actually redline is prob 7200rpm

I normally change at 5500, there's a real dead spot around 5500rpm.

dilbert_rocks
01-05-2007, 09:56 PM
While the motors are bench run, im not sure how hard they are run in, and I would hazard a guess that its only the engine and not the gearbox/drive train etc

Check this out for a bit more info on how they are starting to run in the motors at the factory...
http://www.volkswagen-environment.de/buster/buster.asp?i=_content/wissen_23153.asp

Guy_H
02-05-2007, 08:10 AM
When I was last at Wolfsburg, they were just switching to the Golf V production (back in 05').

The production line ended at a multi line dynometer where the cars rolled off the production line and sat on top of the rollers. They then proceeded to rev the crap out of every car up & down the gears for about 10 minutes per car. & I mean hitting the rev limiter in each gear.

personally I think that that is worse than giving one to a bunch of journalists!

Anyway - the theory explained was that if anything was wrong, that was the place to find out. Now these cars were dead cold, zero miles straight off the production line. I don't think anything we do could compare to that :)

I'm sure it would be the same at the other plants!

gpk_gti
02-05-2007, 08:24 AM
two of my wifes cousins work for a well known trucking company that collect cars off the wharf.everytime I see them at a family do,I ask them the latest fun they have had.they have THRASHED cars from r32 golfs to jags to renaults to rs4 audis.so if it comes from o/s they have driven it.they explained to me that the cars are first collected off the boats,burn outs all the way out,many scrapped on the way out.then passed onto the truckies.thrashed again all the way onto the trucks.they think its part of their job!!!
so as guy_h has explained ,first thrashed in the factory.collected by truckies,thrashed off the truck,thrashed by the wharfie there.thrashed by a wharfie here,thrashed by a truckie here.thrashed by some pre delivery monkey.then babied by some poor sucker new car buyer who thinks he is the first to drive it!!!!this is exactly why I drove my new vr6 hard from the day I got it.whatever the booklet says is a load of b/s just to make you believe the car is a virgin.

beefa
02-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Interesting link..... sums it all up perfectly.

No longer do they fire it up, but attach it to an external electric motor to spin all the bits and make sure its all good.

"'And instead of up to nine minutes in the hot tests, the cold tests take only around 2 minutes per engine."

I found this article a while back when researching bike engine run in's.
Whether you agree or not its an interesting read. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm