PDA

View Full Version : Which Touareg to get?

broady69
30-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey Guys.

I'm in the market for a Touareg, not a new one as this is going to be our 2nd vehicle and I don't want to sell the Golf.

The problem I'm having is I'm stuck between two choices. On the one hand I'd like to get the V10 TDI Touareg because I was one of the instructors at the launch and had one for a weekend and absolutely fell in love with it. On the other hand I don't know if I should save the extra cash and go for either the V6 or R5 models and still end up with a low mileage good condition 2004-2005 one.

Here are the links to 2 examples:

V6: 2003 VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 4XMOTION 7L Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au (http://bit.ly/c9Z5H0) (carsales.com.au)

or

V10: 2004 VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 4XMOTION 7L Private Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au (http://bit.ly/dn83EU) (carsales.com.au)

Basically I'm looking for an excuse to buy or not to buy one or the other [/tongue twister]

Thanks

Broady

PhillipAudiDealer
30-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Diesel all the way.. imo.. I have 3.0 litre TDi 2009 at the moment and I will update next year with the new model I will 4.2 V8 TDI for sure..
For that money V6 money you could get 2.5 diesel for that money. I sold mine last year 2005 model luxury for 40k with 69k on the clock flashed.

T Rex
30-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I have to agree with Phillip. We have done 45,00 km trouble free kms in our V6 TDI including some substantial towing. It has bags of power and fantastic torque. I haven't driven the V10 but I suspect for a great handling/performance package, the V6 TDI is the pick as the V10 is a heavier engine (I believe). Cheers. Geoff

Transporter
30-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm very happy with our V6TDI.
V10 would probably have more features but buying s/h I would be worry about cost of the repairs.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

patto
01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
If I had a choice in fuel type, I would always go diesel - its superior in many ways!

Now, to 1/2 hijack this thread... I am also in the market for a second hand touareg and in interested in the 2.5DT around the 2005-ish age. Are those engines good? Any problems? Real world fuel consumption for city & highway driving? Also, I will want to go do a bit of off-roading - are the engine capable?
I would love the get the V6TDI, but there aren't many around in South Australia at the right price for me.
Lastly, the air suspension, I like the idea but what is it really like? Good for off-roading and general driving? Problem-matic???

Cheers, Patto

EDIT> Would love an R50 but who has that sort of money!

PhillipAudiDealer
01-10-2010, 11:58 AM
engine good brakes are awesome on 2.5 diesel did only do pads at 67,oookms. and real world comsumption was in the 9 highway and 10 city. revs a bit more than the v6tdi. louder motor too. but normally they have the big neck filler hole so you can smash hi flow diesel into them. 100 litres 2 mins done. Something i miss when pumping into Tinkerbell (my v6tdi) Volkswagen and an extended warranty is the key when buying second hand. Give the servicing dealer a call and ask do they remember the car?

idaho
01-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Diesel all the way.. imo.. I have 3.0 litre TDi 2009 at the moment and I will update next year with the new model I will 4.2 V8 TDI for sure...

Sorry to also hijack the original thread. But reading between the lines (so to speak) it appears the V8 TDI will be available soon-ish after release. Might we also assume that the available specs will be similar to overseas and that the Terrain Tech pack (dual range transfer + diff locks + larger tank) will be available with the V6 TDI?

I quite like the looks of the new model. The current model looks nice also but the steering wheel, woodgrain and parking brake put me off.

OilBurna
01-10-2010, 04:19 PM
could be going cheap unreserved anyone can bid

Unreserved - 2005 VW Touareg V10 Twin Turbo (http://www.graysonline.com/sale.aspx?id=56618)

maca
01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey Guys.

I'm in the market for a Touareg, not a new one as this is going to be our 2nd vehicle and I don't want to sell the Golf.

The problem I'm having is I'm stuck between two choices. On the one hand I'd like to get the V10 TDI Touareg because I was one of the instructors at the launch and had one for a weekend and absolutely fell in love with it. On the other hand I don't know if I should save the extra cash and go for either the V6 or R5 models and still end up with a low mileage good condition 2004-2005 one.

Here are the links to 2 examples:

V6: 2003 VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 4XMOTION 7L Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au (http://bit.ly/c9Z5H0) (carsales.com.au)

or

V10: 2004 VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 4XMOTION 7L Private Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au (http://bit.ly/dn83EU) (carsales.com.au)

Basically I'm looking for an excuse to buy or not to buy one or the other [/tongue twister]

Thanks

Broady

Excuse? I've been eyeing off that V10 for about 3 weeks now... Buy it before I go on my opens and I'm breaking your legs! Excuse enough? :P

Nah but srsly, I'd stay away from the 3.2. It's so gutless and slow. TDI all the way!

jamesatfish
03-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Nah but srsly, I'd stay away from the 3.2. It's so gutless and slow. TDI all the way!

Agree here - we had one of the early 3.2 V6s and it was very underpowered considering the size and weight of the car. It drank as much petrol as our Cayenne Turbo around town - partly because you had to mash the pedal to the floor every time you wanted to accelerate up an incline.

Haven't driven the Touareg V10 TDI but all that torque is exactly what you need in a big 4WD, especially if you plan to tow anything. That'd be my pick - to my mind the smaller TDIs are better suited to the Tiguan than the Touareg.

Transporter
04-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Haven't driven the Touareg V10 TDI but all that torque is exactly what you need in a big 4WD, especially if you plan to tow anything. That'd be my pick - to my mind the smaller TDIs are better suited to the Tiguan than the Touareg.

The V6TDI engine in our TOUAREG doesn't seem to struggle when the torque is needed. It has plenty of torque for us and great fuel economy.:)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

maca
04-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Agree here - we had one of the early 3.2 V6s and it was very underpowered considering the size and weight of the car. It drank as much petrol as our Cayenne Turbo around town - partly because you had to mash the pedal to the floor every time you wanted to accelerate up an incline.

That's what I found. I'd always be punching it to get up a hill especially from a standstill where it would ALWAYS start off in second.

On paper, the V10 gets better economy by about one litre compared to the 3.2. I'd seriously consider a V6TDI but even new they're still to expensive.

phaeton
04-10-2010, 11:56 AM
V6 TDI for the all round ability.

Favourite among current owners & journos.

PeDiES
04-10-2010, 08:00 PM
ive driven every motor type available and the v6 tdi would be the one i would pick, the others are great but dont justify the extra cost not only in the purchace but also maintanence.

broady69
05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Well thanks for the replies fellas.

V6 TDI seems to be the model of choice here so I will start looking.

Thanks again for your help.

T Rex
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
If I had a choice in fuel type, I would always go diesel - its superior in many ways!

Now, to 1/2 hijack this thread... I am also in the market for a second hand touareg and in interested in the 2.5DT around the 2005-ish age. Are those engines good? Any problems? Real world fuel consumption for city & highway driving? Also, I will want to go do a bit of off-roading - are the engine capable?
I would love the get the V6TDI, but there aren't many around in South Australia at the right price for me.
Lastly, the air suspension, I like the idea but what is it really like? Good for off-roading and general driving? Problem-matic???

Cheers, Patto

EDIT> Would love an R50 but who has that sort of money!

Hi Patto,After LOTS of research (especially given how unreliable the land Rover air suspensions seems to be) we chose to go with the air. Couldn't find a negative comment on either Touareg or Cayenne forums. If you tow it is great - self levelling. We haven't yet taken ours outback (although it does get a test on our property) but the extra clearance is excellent. I dial in "Sport" mode for normal touring (I like a firm suspension) and "Auto" for towing/low range work. Highly recommended. Cheers. Geoff

jamesatfish
08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Patto,After LOTS of research (especially given how unreliable the land Rover air suspensions seems to be) we chose to go with the air. Couldn't find a negative comment on either Touareg or Cayenne forums. If you tow it is great - self levelling. We haven't yet taken ours outback (although it does get a test on our property) but the extra clearance is excellent. I dial in "Sport" mode for normal touring (I like a firm suspension) and "Auto" for towing/low range work. Highly recommended. Cheers. Geoff

We had steel suspension on our Touareg and the Cayenne has the air suspension as standard.

I absolutely love the air suspension and would strongly recommend it. I usually leave the Cayenne in low level as I prefer the look that way, but when towing we raise up to normal level as that makes it easier to hitch up the boat trailer. When driving away from sealed roads the raised levels are great for extra ground clearance and reducing the likelihood of underbody damage from loose rocks & debris.

Having adjustable suspension firmness is really useful too - the Comfort setting is great when my daughter is on board or for general about-town driving, but Sport is fantastic when on the track or more spirited driving sans-baby.

patto
29-10-2010, 09:42 AM
TRex/jamesatfish...
Thanks for your replies on the air suspension set up. I do really love the idea of having those adjustable ride heights.
Now I just need to find me a good 2nd hand diesel with air suspension!!!
(Cant really afford brand new right now - Tregs are a bit expensive :frown:)
Cheers
Patto

Moonan
29-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Patto,
from your earlier...
"Now, to 1/2 hijack this thread... I am also in the market for a second hand touareg and in interested in the 2.5DT around the 2005-ish age. Are those engines good? Any problems? Real world fuel consumption for city & highway driving? Also, I will want to go do a bit of off-roading - are the engine capable?
Lastly, the air suspension, I like the idea but what is it really like? Good for off-roading and general driving? Problem-matic???"

First, you'll be flat out finding a 2.5TDI with air suspension (I think maybe even zero chance in Australia but I could be wrong there), so if your budget runs to an R5 (correct terminology for the 2.5 TDI) then you'll be steel sprung...

Having said that, there is not much wrong with an R5. They are an "old tech" engine - VW Pump Duse fuel system, and have been the workhorse of the VW commercial fleet in various forms for years.
As fitted to the Touareg, the 128kw / 400Nm combination was more than a match for the Diesel Landcruisers of its time. So no worries about being underpowered in the bush or on the road fo rthat matter. Not a racing car on the highway, but still far and away more pick-up than a Tojo or Patrol and many times more comfortable. Chuck in a DP chip for extra pull if you feel the need.
Only type-fault I know of is that the water pump should have failed by now and been replaced with the newer type that won't fail again. If buying s/hand check that this has been done. It was the subject of an "enhancement" campaign by VW in 2007 so should have been done under warranty at that time.
My old 2005 is currently seeing duty pulling a Grey Nomad caravan around Oz.
Some specifics of engine technology mean that these should last a long time. They share many parts with the V10 TDI, which was in fact 2 x R5's crafted together. Features included plasma sprayed bores, also flywheel ring-gear driven valves etc, so no timing chain or belt to replace ever.
Another thing to consider in drivetrain / suspension / bearings / components in general - this vehicle was designed to handle the W12 engine (bigger than the V10) and so the R5 isn't going to be able to stress the gearbox / transfer case / diffs etc very much....
Also the R5 ran different wheels / hubs / brakes from the other T's. Needed to match the VW Transporter T5 standard for certain parts to meed EU government fleet requirements. The upshot is that you can get steel 16 inch wheels to fit for serious off-road if you look far enough, and the brakes last much longer than other Touaregs.

Real world fuel use - 100l tank. Over 4 years I can't say I averaged less than 10 l/100km (including city driving), but it was a very rare tank that didn't get me 950km.
Highway use got down to indicated 7.8 on trip computer (I have photos of the "range" display saying 1300km to empty), and I had no hesitation planning trips with over 1000km between planned fills.

How's that for a summary??

Transporter
29-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Very nice review Neil,

My T5 has the same engine, w.pump failed at 72,000km approx. but I'm happy as Larry with my T5 and I don't see the reason to downgrade to 4 cylinder new tech (common rail) engine. And certainly don't miss the DPF box.

patto
01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi Neil...

Thanks for the info - always good to hear from experienced people before buying.
I do really love the Treg so its just a matter of time before I get my hands on one.

Point taken on the air sus and the R5, I'll might have to take a look at the V6 TDI too and see what they are selling for.
How do the R5 owners find the steel suspension? Have any of you taken it off road?
(when I say off road, I wont be going "crazy" off road or massive rock crawling)
Is the ride height and power enough so get you through the soft sand or small water crossings etc?? - got any pics of videos?

Water Pump replacement - check, let me know if there is anything else I need to look out for.

Also, approx 7.8L/100Km highway on a heavy luxury car is pretty bloody good I reckon!
And a potential 10L with city driving.... gooooood :)

Cheers,
Anthony

Moonan
03-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi Neil...

Thanks for the info - always good to hear from experienced people before buying.
I do really love the Treg so its just a matter of time before I get my hands on one.
You won't regret it if you do

Point taken on the air sus and the R5, I'll might have to take a look at the V6 TDI too and see what they are selling for.
How do the R5 owners find the steel suspension? Have any of you taken it off road?
(when I say off road, I wont be going "crazy" off road or massive rock crawling)
Yes

Is the ride height and power enough so get you through the soft sand or small water crossings etc??
Yes

- got any pics of videos?
Yes

As far as off-road is concerned, the steel-sprung Touareg is equal to any stock Toyota/Nissan/whatever. Go where you want to go. Sand, mud, clay bush tracks, loose rocks - no worries :)
What Touaregs lack is wheel articulation. Whether steel or air, there is not a great deal of wheel travel to keep your wheels on uneven ground.
However, the EDL ("electronic diff lock") feature pretty much makes up for this. It will apply the brake to any wheel that is spinning uselessly, forcing up to 100% of torque to (at the extreme) one wheel to ensure forward progress.

cheers,
..Neil