PDA

View Full Version : Golf price attack on Carolla, Mazda3, (and the Polo 5 door TSI?)

BR @ ON
28-09-2010, 09:38 PM
News just in, read it on carsales.com.au.VW Golf price attack on Corolla, Mazda3 (http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/vw-golf-price-attack-on-corolla-mazda3-21831)

Large shipment of Golf bound for Australia. Price start at $21,990.

Powered by the same TSI of the Polo 5 Door, hence the lower price. It is 1 second slower than a Polo of course, due to larger size of a car, but who cares about that?:emo_baghead:

All of a sudden, Polo TSI do not make any sense, any of us can afford $2k more for the Golf!

s1831559
28-09-2010, 09:59 PM
it would be nice that vw drop polos price, else its more logical to buy the golf

Hail22
28-09-2010, 10:48 PM
the 77TDI only comes in a 5 speed manual that just pulls it off, i find it funny how they say the 1.2 TSI is the base model when in fact the 3 door petrol model (1.4l without turbo) is the base model.

I'm a bit concerned with how the golf will perform, remember NSW buyers take into account with the new weight tax the Government put in place as of 1st July that if you have a car at say 900kg you pay $25 Tax (guess) and the golf is around 1.3...1.4 Tonnes so it may hurt the budgets of those who get the size of a golf with the power of the polo TSI with more weight which means higher Rego costs.

Buller_Scott
29-09-2010, 03:48 AM
comfortable, spacious, refined daily, much?

i'd DEFINITELY have one of these in my quiver, for daily inner-city errand duties, for sure.

RedSky83
29-09-2010, 09:48 AM
comfortable, spacious, refined daily, much?

i'd DEFINITELY have one of these in my quiver, for daily inner-city errand duties, for sure.

If I'm going to buy a Golf it'd be the 118TSI version, not sure if I want to pay more for a slower car. Just my 2 cents ;)

EDIT: The article mentions the 1.4 turbo version (presumably 118TSI) "gains alloy wheels, cruise control and a multi-function steering wheel while maintaining its price". I was under the impression all of this came standard already?

Inception.dln
29-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Actually its the trendline (1.4L 90TSI) that gains all these functions.

RedSky83
29-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Actually its the trendline (1.4L 90TSI) that gains all these functions.

Ah, I see. Well this throws a spanner in the works doesn't it?

dave_r
29-09-2010, 12:37 PM
It's well priced but the 77TSI doesn't cut the mustard for the Golf IMO. Plus the new Polo looks much nicer than a base Golf IMO.

I already mentioned it to the missus and she wouldn't swap regardless, guess she loves her new little car!

pologti18t
29-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I think the Polo 1.2TSI is slightly better equipped than the Golf 77TSI.

6 speed, alloy wheels, multifunction steering wheel, cruise control.

And $2000 is 10% of the Polo's price. That is a LOT of money at that price point.

BR @ ON
29-09-2010, 07:54 PM
HEY, I knew this news would spark a few discussion here. Since most people here got the same engine in their POLO.

And honestly, 2000 is not that much to pay for a higher grade car.

I just got my POLO, and I love it, but this news does make me wonder about my decision if it had happen before I paid for my car.

By the way, I got the 3 door 1.4 NA version of the POLO, I am not a taxi driver (for my friends) so I am really happy with it. Got it with DSG and Comfort pack. Could not ask for much more in a small car!

1 second difference in performance is a non-issue really. Even the new Caddy gets the same 1.2TSI engine in their base model. It does look like VW is aiming big with all the new models and replacements that just/soon to come to OZ.

BR @ ON
29-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Sorry, I could ask more....

Getting the windows tinted darker this weekend!
And need to look for a set of new wheels! What colour rims go well with my pearl black, guys?

ChristopherJ
29-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Yes, just read about this on carsales, didn't see that one coming, putting the Polo engine in the Golf, well at least not this soon, brother has a 06 Golf Comfortline, might be something to upgrade to in few yrs time, have to say, made me think for a second whether I would have gone with a 77TSi Golf instead of the Polo, but really, don't need the extra size of the Golf and the Polo is Comfortline Spec where I the Golf will be Trenline. Good idea though, should sell well.

RedSky83
29-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Sorry, I could ask more....

Getting the windows tinted darker this weekend!
And need to look for a set of new wheels! What colour rims go well with my pearl black, guys?

Can't help you on the rims, but PICS PLEASE! :)

cm10
29-09-2010, 10:20 PM
1. I'm wondering if mixing the heavier Golf with the Polo TSI engine = good handling (I hear they are going to test the Golf 1.2 at Phillip Island with the Polo GTI, so look forward to hearing about that). 2. The comparative analysis is doing my head in...choices, choices (TSI, TGI, Golf 1.2...I just want a car before Jan 2011 which is the new date for my Polo TSI!...I'm starting to not care which one it is :-) is it so much to ask with the money burning a hole in my bank account!!!

cm10
29-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, just read about this on carsales, didn't see that one coming, putting the Polo engine in the Golf, well at least not this soon, ....

I'm with you, I actually want the smaller Polo, but at the moment it's purely down to which car I can get first...it is a tough decision.

BR @ ON
29-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm with you, I actually want the smaller Polo, but at the moment it's purely down to which car I can get first...it is a tough decision.

Golf is more widely available. And the article mentioned that the particular model with the special pricing shipment is due to arrive in October. They are actually on the water bound for Aus.

For 2K more you get a higher grade of car, although a lower grade of trim. ...

Don't worry about the extra 1 second that send you to 100kph. You will not appreciate it unless you want a sport car!

BR @ ON
29-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Can't help you on the rims, but PICS PLEASE! :)

Yer, I will upload some pics after the tint.

I think I will put the wheels thing off for a while. The stock michellin tyres are pretty nice ...

hazrd
29-09-2010, 10:49 PM
without sounding too biased :P ive driven the base polo (when my gti was in overnight for a few bits and pieces) and i quite liked it, if the new golf doesnt come with all the things the new polo has (like alloys, 6spd), id be leaning more towards the polo!

either way, both cars will be very popular to the public imo

RedSky83
29-09-2010, 10:49 PM
2. The comparative analysis is doing my head in...choices, choices (TSI, TGI, Golf 1.2...

I know exactly how you feel. But the key words for me are "Fully optioned Polo 77TSI, hopefully not too expensive Polo GTI, semi-optioned Golf 90TSI or standard Golf 118TSI". Decisions, decisions, decisions.

BR @ ON
30-09-2010, 06:32 AM
It is quite hard deciding between the Polo and Golf. For one thing, they are so much alike.

When I went to the dealer for the POLO, I was surprised to mistake the Golf for the Polo so many times before I get it right. I had to check the tail lights first now!.

But fact is, Golf is a bigger car, with more space. Female driver might not appreciate it, but I think I will. Except I lost interest when it is another 5 door... So what I am saying is, the 5 door Golf would probably appeal to the 5 door Polo buyer. They run on the same engine, with minimal differences in terms of performance. And the VW option pricing is pretty competitive. I am surprised at what I got for $900 comfort pack on the Trendline model!!!

BR @ ON
30-09-2010, 06:39 AM
1. I'm wondering if mixing the heavier Golf with the Polo TSI engine = good handling (I hear they are going to test the Golf 1.2 at Phillip Island with the Polo GTI, so look forward to hearing about that).

Although there is 1 sec difference between Polo and heavier Golf running on the same engine for the 0-100km, but there is great possibility that the engine and the drive overall will be more stable in a heavier car! Good point!

pologti18t
30-09-2010, 07:37 AM
The one second to 100km/h doesn't give you an idea of acceleration in gears.

Accelerating from 80-120km/h for instance will probably be significantly slower in the Golf.

Hail22
30-09-2010, 08:00 AM
With my view so far after reading the Melbourne Metro plans for the next 10 years and Sydney Metros plans it will seem the golf will just squeeze into most metropolitan road car spaces (Unless you are planning to pay extra for per hour parking to go shopping?). The polo will most likely be the trend setter of how Australian CBDs road capacity will shrink for the allowance of only delivery vehicles/postal.

I'm glad i bought the Polo so far i have gotten into spots i never thought i could fit in yet still fit a 6'2 person behind my seat without them dieing in agonizing pain (i'm 6'3).

pologti18t
30-09-2010, 09:27 AM
The difference in length between a Polo and Golf is 14cm. I doubt that small a difference would affect most peoples parking ;)

BR @ ON
30-09-2010, 07:26 PM
The one second to 100km/h doesn't give you an idea of acceleration in gears.

Accelerating from 80-120km/h for instance will probably be significantly slower in the Golf.

I don't know cars for that purpose, I bought Polo as a city car, we cannot drive 120kph in Sydney...

BR @ ON
30-09-2010, 07:28 PM
The difference in length between a Polo and Golf is 14cm. I doubt that small a difference would affect most peoples parking ;)

Hahaha, I am coming from a civic sedan. Not having to worry about the boot in reverse parking is taking time to get use to! (note that the 3 door and 5 door version POLO are identical in size, except bigger front doors in the 3 version)

Having said that, I never had problem with reverse parking my civic sedan as well.

pologti18t
01-10-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't know cars for that purpose, I bought Polo as a city car, we cannot drive 120kph in Sydney...

But its important when overtaking when taking a drive in the country ;)

kaanage
01-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Depending on how you drive, the Golf could use significantly more fuel since you would need more throttle and revs to drive at the same speed in a heavier car - the cycles thay use for the consumption figures often do not accurately reflect this.

Still, disregarding the options, the Golf is significantly more refined than the Polo (and possibly better built if these ones are still made in Germany) so if you need the space....

BR @ ON
01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I think the Golf coming to Australia are indeed made in Germany, thats the reason why they put the 5 door version of Polo to South Africa because of the issues with that factory in the past. which affected their key model = the Golf

I went for the 3 door version as I said earlier, which is made in Spain if I am not mistaken. Hope they are more industrious people, and not as lazy as the French! (my aunt has a citroen, and it's bugged with small faults...)

BR @ ON
01-10-2010, 06:49 PM

I will be relocating to Canberra next year, so I might be able to test the overtaking ability out!

kaanage
01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
I think the Golf coming to Australia are indeed made in Germany, thats the reason why they put the 5 door version of Polo to South Africa because of the issues with that factory in the past. which affected their key model = the Golf

I went for the 3 door version as I said earlier, which is made in Spain if I am not mistaken.

I thought all of the new model Polos in Australia come from Spain and it was the previous model that came from South Africa.

FJ Steve
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
nope...5 door Polo is from South Africa

kaanage
01-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Someone needs to tell the carsales.com.au guys then

rs73
01-10-2010, 11:53 PM

well if you need to do 120kph just to take over another car, that means the other car might have done 100-110 the speed limit, which means it'll be illegal, and also pointless for you to take over as if you're doing the speed limit there shouldn't be any need to do so.

FJ Steve
01-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Someone needs to tell the carsales.com.au guys then

Volkswagen Polo Review | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/66927/2010-volkswagen-polo-review/)

Before the sporty and range-topping GTI arrives towards the end of this year, the new Polo is currently available in two separate equipement grades: the entry level Polo Trendline and the more equipped Polo Comfortline. The Trendline models come from Spain while the Comfortline grades are sourced from a Volkswagen factory in South Africa.

BR @ ON
02-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Yep, thats right! seem to read this everywhere I looked.

Spanish 3 doors and South African 5 doors.

Personally it would not influence my decision to a great length, as alot of BMW and Merc are made in South Africa. Not too familiar with these two car makers, but seems to be the case... Except I actually wanted 3 door version of the car, and thought the option of comfort pack will make up for the trim level!

And yer, like I said before, speeding is not my intention, so I think my slightly slower NA engine satisfies my needs

Back on the topic, I imagine people with a Polo 5 door might be a bit upset seeing the Golf (arguably the better 5 door car between the 2 models!) is going for such a good price, with an identical engine... Just 2K more???

BR @ ON
02-10-2010, 01:11 AM
it would be nice that vw drop polos price, else its more logical to buy the golf

I totally get what you are saying, But the fact that the margin for Polo is already so low, it is difficult for the dealer to make any significant discounts. There are greater room for a GOLF (discount), until Now!!!

pologti18t
02-10-2010, 07:51 AM
well if you need to do 120kph just to take over another car, that means the other car might have done 100-110 the speed limit, which means it'll be illegal, and also pointless for you to take over as if you're doing the speed limit there shouldn't be any need to do so.

You're kidding me? So if you are behind someone doing 90km/h in a 100 zone you will overtake them at 100 (speed diff = 10km/h or about 3m/s)? Do some maths and tell me how many seconds you will be on the wrong side of the road to do that.

kaanage
02-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Volkswagen Polo Review | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/66927/2010-volkswagen-polo-review/)

Volkswagen Polo Car Info - Car Research - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/details.aspx?R=576090&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=p_Year_String%7c1%7c%7cp_Make_String%7c0%7c%7 cp_Family_String%7c0&keywords=&__N=2994%204294939368%204294842692&SearchAction=N&silo=1305&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=130&__sid=12B6C436EA25)

Country of origin SPAIN

BR @ ON
02-10-2010, 10:58 AM
You're kidding me? So if you are behind someone doing 90km/h in a 100 zone you will overtake them at 100 (speed diff = 10km/h or about 3m/s)? Do some maths and tell me how many seconds you will be on the wrong side of the road to do that.

You sound like you have done this maths already, But most of us don't have the time to do the calculation while driving...
hahaha

pologti18t
02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
You sound like you have done this maths already, But most of us don't have the time to do the calculation while driving...
hahaha

:)

Well lets say a car is 5m long. You are supposed to leave a 2 sec gap which is 50m at 90km/h. Lets say you pull back in 1 sec gap ahead.
Thats about an extra 80m you have to cover at 3 m/s (10km/h diff in speed - you never exceed 100km/h). That's upto 27 seconds and 700m on the wrong side of the road.

If you overtake at 120km/h the speed difference is about 8m/s. Which reduces overtaking time in this example by nearly 2/3rds.

rs73
02-10-2010, 11:27 AM

that's because I'll overtake when there is enough space (and time) to do so. i'm never in a hurry to anywhere anyway... all was pre-planned and most of the time I always arrived 10-15 min before any appointments...

rs73
02-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Well lets say a car is 5m long. You are supposed to leave a 2 sec gap which is 50m at 90km/h. Lets say you pull back in 1 sec gap ahead.
Thats about an extra 80m you have to cover at 3 m/s (10km/h diff in speed - you never exceed 100km/h). That's upto 27 seconds and 700m on the wrong side of the road.

If you overtake at 120km/h the speed difference is about 8m/s. Which reduces overtaking time in this example by nearly 2/3rds.

fair enough - I can't be bothered spending time to do such maths,
most of the roads I travelled are dual lanes anyway, except like GOR but they do have overtaking lanes every few kms.

I guess that's why I only had 1 speeding fines over the past 19 years of driving experience...
actually hardly remembered taking over anyone at all on most country driving, I guess I am your 90km/h driver in the 100 zone.
go on come and hate me... LOL

4wheels
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM

That's an interesting and completely sensible argument that most enthusiasts would agree with, but I don't like your chances before the judge in this Nanny state/s. Another example of how the obsessively strict enforcement of speed limits can be counter-productive to genuine safety. Of course, if we believe the propaganda ('speed kills'), you would implode doing 120Km/hr.

Brian

Buller_Scott
02-10-2010, 03:45 PM
That's an interesting and completely sensible argument that most enthusiasts would agree with, but I don't like your chances before the judge in this Nanny state/s. Another example of how the obsessively strict enforcement of speed limits can be counter-productive to genuine safety. Of course, if we believe the propaganda ('speed kills'), you would implode doing 120Km/hr.

Brian

it's a shame...

apparently, in melbourne, u turns on highways across double white lines etc are okay, as well as travelling 85kmh in the right hand lane on the eastern fwy.... because at least you're not speeding.

****ing clown town....

rs73
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
well, the rule is there, sucks or not, live with it or move out.

maybe there's a seek.com.de for a start to land a job in germany so you can then move there and enjoy the autobahn?

in any way we're still lucky in melbourne we could still drive up to 100km/h... talk about e.g. if you're in bangkok/jakarta your speedo needle may never goes over 40km/h

Buller_Scott
02-10-2010, 05:24 PM
well, the rule is there, sucks or not, live with it or move out.

maybe there's a seek.com.de for a start to land a job in germany so you can then move there and enjoy the autobahn?

in any way we're still lucky in melbourne we could still drive up to 100km/h... talk about e.g. if you're in bangkok/jakarta your speedo needle may never goes over 40km/h

not to be confrontational, but i dont see the point of your post.

a) "the rule is there, live with it or move out.... land a job in germany so you can then move there...."

what about merging without indicating, crossing solid white lines, driving at night with fog lights on simply because they look cool, being in the right hand lane whilst not overtaking, not giving way at intersections where THEY have right of way, etc..... this happens in melbourne ALL THE TIME. perhaps you were suggesting that most of melbourne, who dont practice the rules that i've listed above, should migrate to germany?

b) you alluded to jakarta.... it seems as though you might not know about the overhead tollways and the fact that (last time i was there) the MINIMUM speed you're allowed to travel on the road into the airport is 80km/h. (as a background, i've lived in both indonesia and thailand).

you needn't be cynical towards other VWWA members when you reply on here- it seems you missed my point - i was hinting at Vic Police caring about nothing but sensationalist gangland related cleaning up, or speeding 3kmh over the limit- rape, brutal bashings, and ACTUAL deadly driving (like i mentioned above) simply dont raise revenue, which was my point.

additionally, you should avoid citing poor examples (jakarta/ bangkok example). presumption is a color better suited to P-platers who drive like they DIDNT read the learner driver's handbook, speeding aside....

now, if you feel like being cynical towards me YET AGAIN, i'd prefer it if you did it in person..... so let's organise to meet here.... (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f21/drive-through-dandenongs-50404.html) :D (been on any cruises yet? i see you're a newish member...)

rs73
02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
i'm not being cynical to any particular person...

and I've lived there too.

and i won't make it to the cruise. family matters.

Hail22
02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Australia has and always will be a Police State of the world, what Buller said is so true to a Tee i have yet to spot a car that has fog lights as an option that are not operating nearly 90% of the time every night (when the law states it must be used under adverse conditions only)

They're all about money because the State Governments don't know how to spend our tax payer dollars they go into debt hence harsher penalties/fines so they can either recover losses or make even more money.

Back on topic although this topic should be moved to the Golf section as this is purely and simply a "Polo Sub-Section" Sure it has the 77 Tsi Motor from the Polo, but the relevance to the polo sub section is near to none.

If people want a golf at a budget price...then move it to the MK6 section as the 6r0 Polo is new and it would be nice to keep non polo related topics away from here.

rs73
02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
maybe soon they'll make an economy version Polo too, to do price attack on Hyundai?
and to make up the lost sale from Polo from their own market cannibalism?

BR @ ON
02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
maybe soon they'll make an economy version Polo too, to do price attack on Hyundai?
and to make up the lost sale from Polo from their own market cannibalism?

The margin on a Polo is not great... Or they can go sub-1L engine to be more efficient and low cost.
But they will/might charge us extra for a new Polo that is more efficient!!! (thinking about the bluemotion badge...)

BR @ ON
02-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Back on topic although this topic should be moved to the Golf section as this is purely and simply a "Polo Sub-Section" Sure it has the 77 Tsi Motor from the Polo, but the relevance to the polo sub section is near to none.

If people want a golf at a budget price...then move it to the MK6 section as the 6r0 Polo is new and it would be nice to keep non polo related topics away from here.

I don't think people who are buying the Polo 5 door are not looking at its bigger brother, as in Golf... (think about the shared parts, cabin, engine, etc...) And I am not preaching the angle of getting a budget Golf over a smaller POLO, but seeking opinions from Polo owners who might be put off purchasing due to the clash of the cheap Golf...

I am not alone when I say they are overlapping each other's segment, especially when the new pricing is near to none (2k to be exact...)

If I bring this up in Golf forum, DO you think they will kick me back here????

Think twice mate!

yauipop
02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Instead of waiting for my Flash Red Polo with sports pack arriving next Jan, I'll be calling the dealer next week to change my order to a MY11 Golf 90TSI...i hope they have one in stock!

BR @ ON
02-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Instead of waiting for my Flash Red Polo with sports pack arriving next Jan, I'll be calling the dealer next week to change my order to a MY11 Golf 90TSI...i hope they have one in stock!

It is not great to lose another potential Polo owner, but I am sure every extra cent is worth it.

And yes, The extra wait is killing the patience for alot of people!!!
Strike in South Africa recently? I must have read it somewhere that was influencing the delivery of the 5 door Polos.

Buller_Scott
03-10-2010, 12:22 AM
and i won't make it to the cruise. family matters.

shame. you should come along to a cruise/ meet. we've got a strong dub scene in melbourne, and every person counts :)

Or they can go sub-1L engine to be more efficient and low cost.
But they will/might charge us extra for a new Polo that is more efficient!!! (thinking about the bluemotion badge...)

if you scroll through other polo forums, you'll soon find that indeed there is a level of "prestige" (for lack of a better word) associated with the bluemotion badge... lack of power/ handling aside, i've found that many people in o/s forums appreciate awesome fuel economy, and it almost seems as though the bluemotions are second only to the gti's, in other peoples eyes. im sure a bluemotion polo, here, would fetch more than a polo TSI- they'd use the ''diabolical fuel savings" angle.

It is not great to lose another potential Polo owner, but I am sure every extra cent is worth it.

And yes, The extra wait is killing the patience for alot of people!!!
Strike in South Africa recently? I must have read it somewhere that was influencing the delivery of the 5 door Polos.

i think it's just the vw wait times in general...

one VWWA member in the passat forums recently had to wait 9 months to take delivery of his R36. now, i know that many people would wait patiently for the car that they've ordered to spec, but honestly.... 3/4 of a year's waiting, and they've just revealed the next gen model passat....

i know some of the golf R boys are discontented with their wait times too, joking that their R's will be arriving at the same time as the release of the golf mk7.

luckily for me, im not too picky- if there's a demo car in similar spec to what i'm looking for, i'll take it...

rs73
03-10-2010, 08:46 AM
shame. you should come along to a cruise/ meet. we've got a strong dub scene in melbourne, and every person counts :)

not easy, even if I wanted to go... but if I had a VW 10 years ago I would have come to most cruises...

these days I'd rather be spending weekend quality time at home with the toddler as I only got to spend time with him an hour a day during weekdays pretty much between dinner time and sleep time...

so enjoy your cruises, should be a blast (Mt Dandenong) - actually going there myself today but will likely be in the family RAV4 to the tulip farm.

BR @ ON
03-10-2010, 09:19 PM
i think it's just the vw wait times in general...

one VWWA member in the passat forums recently had to wait 9 months to take delivery of his R36. now, i know that many people would wait patiently for the car that they've ordered to spec, but honestly.... 3/4 of a year's waiting, and they've just revealed the next gen model passat....

i know some of the golf R boys are discontented with their wait times too, joking that their R's will be arriving at the same time as the release of the golf mk7.

luckily for me, im not too picky- if there's a demo car in similar spec to what i'm looking for, i'll take it...

I understand what you saying completely. I had waited 1 month for the car and that was already killing me!
Because I was too quick to sell my old car and had to wait in the mean time for the car to arrive. Luckily there were no delays, and I actually got the car a few days before the estimate!

I would not mind a demo car if there are discounts (more or less depend on how it is DEMOed) associated with it!!!

pologti18t
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I guess that's why I only had 1 speeding fines over the past 19 years of driving experience...
actually hardly remembered taking over anyone at all on most country driving, I guess I am your 90km/h driver in the 100 zone.
go on come and hate me... LOL

Touch wood... one speeding fine in 25 yrs... and I got off it - good driving record.

dave_r
03-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I've had numerous licence suspensions but it doesn't change the point. The 1.2 TSI is well suited to the Polo's light weight. Some people might not mind it in the Golf, after all the same people would be considering the corolla and other equally dull drives. But you can put me in that "irresponsible hoon" or whatever label the soapboxers want to call it that like something with a bit of poke whether it be for overtaking or a spirited twisty run when I happen to find myself in the drivers seat of the other half's car.

As mentioned before, I've questioned the missus on her choice a 2nd time around with the Golf variant and she'd still take the Polo irrespective of the cost side of things. So they might compete for the same buyer but more choice from the same maker is good business for VW, and that is why they exist remember?

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I've had numerous licence suspensions but it doesn't change the point. The 1.2 TSI is well suited to the Polo's light weight. Some people might not mind it in the Golf, after all the same people would be considering the corolla and other equally dull drives. But you can put me in that "irresponsible hoon" or whatever label the soapboxers want to call it that like something with a bit of poke whether it be for overtaking or a spirited twisty run when I happen to find myself in the drivers seat of the other half's car.

As mentioned before, I've questioned the missus on her choice a 2nd time around with the Golf variant and she'd still take the Polo irrespective of the cost side of things. So they might compete for the same buyer but more choice from the same maker is good business for VW, and that is why they exist remember?

YES, you are a HOON, no questions about it, when compared with majority safe drivers.
(I have got a few parking tickets so far, for staying a bit too long, dammit...)

I am sure it's better to stick with what you have, it is not as if you can take it back to swap for a GOLF. But this question is for the potential buyers to weigh their options. Too bad your wife didn't have the circumstances and options before purchasing...

FJ Steve
04-10-2010, 01:34 AM
.................Too bad your wife didn't have the circumstances and options before purchasing...I told my wife about the price reduction on the standard edition Golf. She said "Why do we need a 2nd Golf? We already have the R32...doesn't the Polo stack up better $ for $? I'll find it easier to park in the (smaller) Polo...so why would I want a bigger with the likelihood of lesser features? Pass"

She who must be obeyed has voted.

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I told my wife about the price reduction on the standard edition Golf. She said "Why do we need a 2nd Golf? We already have the R32...doesn't the Polo stack up better $ for $? I'll find it easier to park in the (smaller) Polo...so why would I want a bigger with the likelihood of lesser features? Pass"

She who must be obeyed has voted.

ER.... I am sure your wife (or anyone for that matter) would not appreciate 2 golf as oppose to someone who is buying their first ...
Polo has being easy to park, I can confirm that.

dave_r
04-10-2010, 09:05 AM
YES, you are a HOON, no questions about it, when compared with majority safe drivers.
Not turning this into another one of those arguments so :blah:

I am sure it's better to stick with what you have, it is not as if you can take it back to swap for a GOLF. But this question is for the potential buyers to weigh their options.
Same thing. I think there will still be a lot of buyers who prefer the Polo and vise versa. Just because you are getting a bigger car doesn't instantly make it better value. The value is perceived by the respective buyer.

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Not turning this into another one of those arguments so :blah:

No, I am not arguing at all. Just saying license suspension(s) = dangerous driver.

pologti18t
04-10-2010, 10:35 AM

LOL... "majority safe drivers" - who are the ones having all the accidents then?

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
LOL... "majority safe drivers" - who are the ones having all the accidents then?

you should be ashamed of yourself, really... for your "numerous license suspensions"

I see you haven't had an accident yet, good for you (so far)!
I have a few accidents in the parking lot, with old ladies backing into my car, and that is what the majority of accidents are like... (non-fetal low speed impacts)

FJ Steve
04-10-2010, 02:59 PM
you should be ashamed of yourself, really... for your "numerous license suspensions"

I see you haven't had an accident yet, good for you (so far)!
I have a few accidents in the parking lot, with old ladies backing into my car, and that is what the majority of accidents are like... (non-fetal low speed impacts)non-fetal?

yauipop
04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Good news the dealer has a MY11 Golf 90TSI in stock! Will have to organise a few things but am definitely picking it up this month...can't wait!

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Good news the dealer has a MY11 Golf 90TSI in stock! Will have to organise a few things but am definitely picking it up this month...can't wait!

Good to hear... Next thing is to get the window tint Done. I just did mine on Saturday (there were two cars that day, ones my polo, another is someones new TDI Golf), condition is you can't wind down the window for at least 2 days. But I never had to anyways, hahaha. My first car with a climate control (make sure you get it, very good and functional, just like the auto-dimming rear view mirror)

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 04:34 PM
non-fetal?

I hope small accidents in parking lot between cars won't kill you...

cm10
04-10-2010, 04:38 PM
....Just because you are getting a bigger car doesn't instantly make it better value. The value is perceived by the respective buyer.

I've been checking up on the Polo GTI, Golf 77TSI and 90TSI to see what's the best deal as my 77TSI has been delayed until Jan 2011...so here is my 5c worth...

Regarding performance and availability: I believe VW are testing at Philip Island today inc. Polo GTI and the new base Golf. The cars that are in-country for testing will then go on a press junket around Aus so I'm sure we will hear more. It seems there are also small allocations of Polo GTI becoming available this year, but I would think those would be snapped up real quick...does not sound like there will be a lot available first up.

Regarding value: to my knowledge, the Golf 77TSI has plastic wheel arches, and no options are available, so you are getting the bare minimum. I actually prefer the optioned up Polo given I've got the same spec's as Dave's Missus. So for $27,500 drive away I got the audio pack, comfort pack, sports pack, and reverse sensor parking. I think the Polo is quite roomy, and the seats fold down flat, unlike the Golf (which do not - apparently) Based on my research I think the Polo value for money is pretty great package all up IMO. The only thing that would shake my opinion is if a GTI, in white, is available before Christmas....that would be tempting!:driver:

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I've been checking up on the Polo GTI, Golf 77TSI and 90TSI to see what's the best deal as my 77TSI has been delayed until Jan 2011...so here is my 5c worth...

.................. Based on my research I think the Polo value for money is pretty great package all up IMO. The only thing that would shake my opinion is if a GTI, in white, is available before Christmas....that would be tempting!:driver:

I know what you saying mate. That is why the dealers are pretty reluctant to do a deal on the Polo, it is already well-priced! I have yet to sit in the new model Golf to make an opinion on it.

But I imagine the difference would be Civic & Accord??
We have a new model Civic at home, the rear leg room is not great comparing to my workmate's new model Accord...

RedSky83
04-10-2010, 06:27 PM

Regarding performance and availability: I believe VW are testing at Philip Island today inc. Polo GTI and the new base Golf. The cars that are in-country for testing will then go on a press junket around Aus so I'm sure we will hear more. It seems there are also small allocations of Polo GTI becoming available this year, but I would think those would be snapped up real quick...does not sound like there will be a lot available first up.

Regarding value: to my knowledge, the Golf 77TSI has plastic wheel arches, and no options are available, so you are getting the bare minimum. I actually prefer the optioned up Polo given I've got the same spec's as Dave's Missus. So for $27,500 drive away I got the audio pack, comfort pack, sports pack, and reverse sensor parking. I think the Polo is quite roomy, and the seats fold down flat, unlike the Golf (which do not - apparently) Based on my research I think the Polo value for money is pretty great package all up IMO. The only thing that would shake my opinion is if a GTI, in white, is available before Christmas....that would be tempting!:driver:

For what it's worth, the difference inside a Polo and Golf is very little. I thought there'd be more room but it's pretty negligible. If you're going to go up to a Golf it'd be for the larger engine. Can't wait for the info on the GTI!

Out of curiosity cm10, were your parking sensors after market? I was under the impression it wasn't a factory option for the Polo.

cm10
04-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Out of curiosity cm10, were your parking sensors after market? I was under the impression it wasn't a factory option for the Polo.

RedSky83 - I did check this out when I put my deposit down. Parking sensors were factory fit only for the first produced. From then on it was after market. Mine is after market $750 plus $200 installation fee (I hear that is a bit steep - to put it politely). The option was not in the brochure, but was on the computer printout of options from the dealer.

Would like to hear what the options are outside of VW if anyone knows!

BR @ ON
04-10-2010, 07:24 PM
......But I imagine the difference would be Civic & Accord??
We have a new model Civic at home, the rear leg room is not great comparing to my workmate's new model Accord...

Or perhaps we should compare the 2 as in JAZZ and a CIVIC

RedSky83
04-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Would like to hear what the options are outside of VW if anyone knows!

Make this two of us :) Tried eBay? I know you can get the RNS-510 for a lot cheaper than VWA offer, maybe this is the same deal?