PDA

View Full Version : No Brake Lights????

crazygee
28-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Checked bulbs...checked fuses,,......Switches??? fuse box??wiring??.. which way would u guyz go???

Golf Loon
28-05-2005, 06:21 PM
The two silly switches on the master cylinder. If you had ten of them in a box, two would work. Keep Changing them, thas what it`ll be. Or buy new switches.

imported_brackie
28-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Mmm. This new Audi master cylinder that I got has 2 switches on it. I guess one must be the warning switch and one the brake light switch? Gee..... Buy yourself one of those test lamps with the needle point on it and trace your wiring backwards until you find the fault. Get you missus to stand on the brake pedal while you're doing it. Might take a while!

h100vw
28-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Early Golf, MK1. I could be wrong cos it's a long while since I ran a MK1.

I replaced the MC and servo with late MK2 ones and some 270mm front disks.

I only swapped in one of the original 2 switches and my brake lights worked fine. The 2 switches are wired in parallel so either will put the lights on. My car was a 1983 with the blade fuse fusebox not the ceramic cylinder ones.

Have you tried disconnecting the switches and shorting together to 2 contacts. If that doesn't make them work, you'll have to check into the car. If they come on then there is a switch problem.

At the other end, are the other lights working, tail and indicators? Just wondering if the earth is good. I think the rear lights all share the same earth, at each side of the car.

Have a look at the wiring in the boot while your there, maybe something damaged the loom?

Good luck

Gavin

syncro
29-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Start with the switches as this is common. You only need one working for the brake lights.

Golf Loon
29-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Earths in the boot are always dodgy too.

crazygee
30-05-2005, 10:58 AM
thanxs for da info!! ;)