PDA

View Full Version : Liquid leaking from doors? Passat CC TDI

dylan8
13-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi all,
lately we have noted some type of liquid leaking from my old mans Passat CC doors.
it looks like its coming out of the door drains, but must splash or get flicked up on the side of the doors as its visible there and on door sills (1cm x 3cm area on outside of doors) at each drain
I have washed it off once or twice already but it keeps coming back. Any ideas? We could only think of it been added for salt protection?

Will take some photos if i remember

Cheers, Dylan

Silver CC
12-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi - I had the same prob.

The CC has double door seals to provide a silent driving experience.

Mine was a late 08 build so reasonably early in the model's life.

Water would accumulate in the door sills (3 out of 4) after rain or hosing the car and almost fall on your feet when you opened the door. It sits there and simply doesn't drain - posing a rust risk and if there's enough water in theory it could spill into the cabin (which it did once).

Much harassment of VW dealers led to discussion with Germany and a set of replacement seals were designed, made, and despatched.

VW had my car for 6 weeks (they provided a loan CC with similar config so I didnt care too much) and the sills were sanded back and repainted as rust was showing already after only 6 months of ownership and the new sills installed.

All under warranty and no charge.

Car is fine now.

I've heard stories from other CC owners being told by dealers it 'didn't matter' or 'was normal' - I suspect with all the cars VW have to deal with we can't expect them to know every quirk of every car and it was a new model at the time - but your problem needs to be addressed soon to avoid serious rust which may not initially be visible.

Chatswood Classic looked after mine so if no luck in your neck of the woods get in touch with them and ask them to instruct your dealer what to do.

Cheers!

ScottyP
21-03-2011, 01:01 PM
This weekend's rain in Sydney was my first chance to see if my MY09 CC has this problem. It appears it does.

The rear passenger door in particular must have let out half a litre as I opened the door! No water in the cabin however. Still, I'll be taking this issue up with the dealer when I take it for in for it's 15k service - or maybe sooner if this rain persists. The last thing I want is rust in a car that's barely a year old!

Cheers,
Scott

21-03-2011, 01:05 PM
This weekend's rain in Sydney was my first chance to see if my MY09 CC has this problem. It appears it does.

The rear passenger door in particular must have let out half a litre as I opened the door! No water in the cabin however. Still, I'll be taking this issue up with the dealer when I take it for in for it's 15k service - or maybe sooner if this rain persists. The last thing I want is rust in a car that's barely a year old!

Cheers,
Scott

My 36 wagon does this when it rains, from both rear doors. doesnt bother me just that my feet get wet

Lance B
21-03-2011, 03:08 PM
My 36 wagon does this when it rains, from both rear doors. doesnt bother me just that my feet get wet

I have not noticed this on either of my R36 wagons.

Dr Block
21-03-2011, 04:15 PM

I've not noticed this on my car. Will keep an eye out now, just in case.

dylan8
24-03-2011, 09:27 PM
forgot about this!
thanks for the feed back guys. it seems to have stopped now (as far as i have noticed anyways)
I did notice the photos on my phone the other day so ill upload them for other people to compare

ScottyP
21-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Just went to check my CC after it has been sitting in the pouring rain for 24 hours. I had expected simply to release the water from each of the rear doors, but I was shocked to discover a puddle of water in the left rear footwell! Really disappointed, especially as this is a known problem with the early CC's but VW refuse to acknowledge the problem. The last time I had a problem with water leaking into a car was 20 years ago driving a 1980 Holden Gemini!!!

Chatswood Classic service will have me on their doorstep at 7:30am sharp in the morning!

ScottyP
22-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Chatswood Classic good to deal with this morning. Service manager advised that this is a known issue now with these cars and their is a service bulletin or 'TPI' on it. Revised door seals available as a fix. Will be getting mine done, and also an inspection for corrosion caused by standing water on the sills and inside the door seals.

Not sure if the TPI is restricted to CC or Passat generally. Seems some R36 owners have seen this issue too.

Cheers,
Scott

Highlander
30-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Looks like it's not just our water

Volkswagen CC in Washington, United States

Aug 2010 17000

When opening rear passenger door after rain, big splash of water comes out. Dealership service department found TSB and modified door seal drains according to TSB. They said it was TSB# 2021668.

From a report on truedelta.com which provides a listing of "member" car repair histories.

Also on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Oj5TE2RDk)

I have had passengers in the rear of my car two or three times in 18 months of ownership. Plenty of time to store all that water in the doors.

Have noticed this when I wash the car as I always wash and dry sills and base of doors. Wasn't smart enough to realise I need to open and close the doors in the garage after each drive in the rain. Will pay particular attention to it in future and may mention it at next service or even earlier if we get some more rain and water pools/stores in the doors..

On the internal leak side, checked my floorwells/carpets after a four hour drive in rain a couple of weeks ago (and the car's second ungaraged overnight) and no trace of water inside the car.

ltbonline
30-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi guys. Has anyone in Melbourne fixed their CC's water problem? Please tell me which dealer i the best regarding to this problem. Thanks so much.

Highlander
14-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Drove home from Sydney last Thursday in some reasonably heavy rain. Parked in the garage and didn't use the car again until Monday morning. Opened rear doors (to vacuum the carpets) to find water draining from the doors and substantial water lying on the rear door sills on both sides. Who knows how long the doors and sills may have been wet if I hadn't opened the rear doors

Definitely a time to chat to the dealers.