PDA

View Full Version : Fitment of accessories post delivery - BT, MDI & rear parking sensors?

dave_r
10-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I've had the missus ask me a number of questions, all of which are too late for factory option fitment.... :rolleyes:

Hoping a few people have had to investigate these items already so before I ask the dealer, I'd like to get an idea of pricing and possibility.

Can the new MY11 Golf BT unit be retrofitted with the RCD310 easily?
How hard is it to add the MDI cable in the glovebox?
I don't recall seeing a factory parking sensor option, has anyone gone aftermarket?

Items #1 & 2, I reckon I could do myself if it just meant buying the kits and connecting them, I assume the wiring loom would already cater for them anyway.

Item #3, I'm not sure I like the idea of someone cutting holes into the rear bar. I've seen some fairly terrible DIY installs on the roads so if it didn't look factory then that one won't be considered.

Transporter
10-09-2010, 07:19 PM
You can use after market reversing camera instead, there is a lot of choices there. Reversing camera can be combined with the GPS either on dash or in dash.

RYDA.com.au - Great Prices on Car Audio, Mobile Phones, Digital Cameras and GPS Navigation (http://www.ryda.com.au)

I picked up reversing sensors for front and rear from Repco for $29 (clearance line), it came with digital display, 8 sensors and hole saw for cutting the holes into the bumper.

dave_r
10-09-2010, 07:54 PM
You can use after market reversing camera instead, there is a lot of choices there. Reversing camera can be combined with the GPS either on dash or in dash.

Thank's for the options but they all look a bit cheap and nasty to me? If it isn't going to look factory or close to then she can do with out, her current car doesn't have any of the items anyway.

Billecartz
10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Thank's for the options but they all look a bit cheap and nasty to me? If it isn't going to look factory or close to then she can do with out, her current car doesn't have any of the items anyway.

Only the first Polo shipment, ours included came with factory rear parking sensors integrated with the RCD510. All subsequent shipments are dealer fitted, this includes the underseat storage trays and 12V socket in the rear.

Not sure about your other questions.

dave_r
10-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Only the first Polo shipment, ours included came with factory rear parking sensors integrated with the RCD510. All subsequent shipments are dealer fitted, this includes the underseat storage trays and 12V socket in the rear.

Ah yes I do recall that now. Hopefully she doesn't remember the storage trays otherwise I'll have to source them as well!!!

BR @ ON
11-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Yer, I confirm that the rear parking sensor are "Genuine VW Dealer fitted accessories" as oppose to "Factory Options". around $700, but will not do a better job than getting it done anywhere else for $200.

Transporter
11-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Yer, I confirm that the rear parking sensor are "Genuine VW Dealer fitted accessories" as oppose to "Factory Options". around $700, but will not do a better job than getting it done anywhere else for $200.

But most likely they will last longer and be covered by VW warranty.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

dave_r
11-09-2010, 01:15 PM

I know they all work the same, but have you seen some of the DIY/cheapo ones fitted? They stand out like dogs balls. If I get them done, it has to look like they were meant to be there.

Anyway, I'll see what options the dealer gives me when I go down and take it from there.

BR @ ON
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Dealer told me the genuine ones only gives the sound. whereas the aftermarket ones often come with display that shows the distance.

By the way, actually it was the dealer that suggest me to go for aftermarket. I reserve my opinion for the $29 twin set that was mentioned in the earlier post. But I am quite sure $200 would get you big names in the business.

cm10
12-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I ordered the rear parking sensor with the car as an option at a cost of $950. The dealier explained that it cost an extra $200 to have it fitted as the base price (of $750) referred to the first polo shipment only.

Billecartz
12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Dealer told me the genuine ones only gives the sound. whereas the aftermarket ones often come with display that shows the distance.

By the way, actually it was the dealer that suggest me to go for aftermarket. I reserve my opinion for the $29 twin set that was mentioned in the earlier post. But I am quite sure $200 would get you big names in the business.

As mine are factory, they beep and show a picture of the rear of the car and distance from objects on the RCD510. If you are in Sydney Barloworld at Botany have this sorted out on the aftermarket type.

BR @ ON
12-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I ordered the rear parking sensor with the car as an option at a cost of $950. The dealier explained that it cost an extra $200 to have it fitted as the base price (of $750) referred to the first polo shipment only.

You just got ripped off. I got the the genuine headlight protector for $50 with the car. The dealer said it costed him $100, and he would normally charge another $70 for fitment. And I still think he is making money. The rear parking sensor will never cost $750. For that, you can get a mid-range GPS/Touch Screen Music unit, probably with rear view camera all in one.

BR @ ON
12-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I was planning to get one fitted by an auto-electrician I trust dearly for around $200. Thats his asking Price anyway.

dave_r
13-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm picking the car up this afternoon. I'll suss out the options at the dealer and report back.

cm10
13-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Look forward to hearing about the candy white 77TSI - my specs are the same, but at least a month away. Except I have the audio pack as well. Also will be dissapointed if those under seat trays are not included!

cm10
13-09-2010, 06:23 PM
You just got ripped off. I got the the genuine headlight protector for $50 with the car. The dealer said it costed him $100, and he would normally charge another $70 for fitment. And I still think he is making money. The rear parking sensor will never cost $750. For that, you can get a mid-range GPS/Touch Screen Music unit, probably with rear view camera all in one.

Hmmm - thanks, I need to find out a bit more about what I'm getting for the money! It seems options provided vary between countries..so hard to assess on-line. Presume at that price as a genuine dealer fit it will have an interface with the RCD500. As for GPS, I've shortlisted those with bluetooth down to Garmin nuvi 3790T and Navman MY75T ...both seem good. Can't see any reference for GPS with rear view camera options...any suggestions?

BR @ ON
13-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Hmmm - thanks, I need to find out a bit more about what I'm getting for the money! It seems options provided vary between countries..so hard to assess on-line. Presume at that price as a genuine dealer fit it will have an interface with the RCD500. As for GPS, I've shortlisted those with bluetooth down to Garmin nuvi 3790T and Navman MY75T ...both seem good. Can't see any reference for GPS with rear view camera options...any suggestions?

A few names in the Car Audio business got the all in one touch screen unit. I have been looking at Kenwood and Pioneer.
They are not cheap as per se, but they are surely competitive in terms of capabilities.

We have someone on this forum already done a conversion by himself, check it out!

cm10
21-09-2010, 09:51 PM
A few names in the Car Audio business got the all in one touch screen unit. I have been looking at Kenwood and Pioneer.
They are not cheap as per se, but they are surely competitive in terms of capabilities.

We have someone on this forum already done a conversion by himself, check it out!

Thanks I'll checkout Kenwood and Pioneer -good call. The Garman does have lifetime maps updates which is tempting. but as always, it's about what options you are going to use most.I also like it can be turned portrait and used for walking about.

BR @ ON
21-09-2010, 10:09 PM
GPS is so common nowadays. I remember when they first started to be commercially available and cost thousands of dollars for something worse than you would pay $200 for today!

What I am getting at, Better go for the professional car audio units with heaps of in-car entertainment capabilities than go for something does a bit of both, but not exactly good at anyone of them.

I got GPS on my mobile phone like alot of people nowadays, always use that as back up walking about tool.
(although you know what they say, only less than 20% of most people's travel are to new places)

William_Foster
26-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Like others I am in the ever growing queue for a Polo with all the factory options. I was hoping this would include factory fitted reversing sensors; but as mentioned this is no longer an option.

I have a couple of queries as I want to get dealer fitted accessories not aftermarket ones [I know this doesn't make financial sense].

The dealer has told me that there are two options for the sensors; a $700 option using the system designed for the Golf; or a $1000 using the system designed for the Polo.

Apparently the Golf ones beep but don’t do anything else; and the Polo ones Beep and flash a light in the Rear Vision Mirror. Can anyone confirm this understanding?

Has anyone got either of the dealer options fitted in a fully spec’d Polo? If so I am wondering if anyone has got the sensors to display on the RCD510? An earlier post said that someone had, but I thought this was referencing aftermarket sensors.

Also, the Polo boot opener looks remarkably like the one on the Golf; does anyone know if it is possible to purchase the Golf Rear Camera that fits in the boot opener and pair it to the RCD510 in the Polo?

Hail22
26-09-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm Sure its possible William my opinion is to ring up Volkswagen and question them the possibility of such a concept to use the camera from the Golf in the Polo if they say yes, massage the ego that your interested. Once done research online the companies who supply Volkswagen 9/10 Volkswagen outsource these sort of products.

dave_r
27-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I've given up on extras, mainly because the missus has lost interest enjoying her new car and probably forgotten all about it!

William_Foster
30-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Just checking, has anyone purchased the dealer fitted sensors yet?

If so, can they connect to show an diagram on the RCD510 like the factory sensors can? And do they get colour-coded to the vehicle?

Sorry to raise this issue again, I am just eager to find out.