PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

NoFidelity
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
The Polo has no temp gauge? What's with this?

Buller_Scott
09-09-2010, 05:23 AM
how do you mean?

FJ Steve
09-09-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/P1000437-1.jpg

The dash board does not show a dedicated temperature gauge (viz. scale + dial etc).

From memory, the engine temp is available by scrolling through the MFD. I could be wrong. Maybe Billiecartz or a dealer/salesperson could verify.

pologti18t
09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
There are quite a few newer cars coming out with out a temp gauge....

team_v
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Probably because a digital readout is much easir to read and is more accurate than a sweeping needle.

pologti18t
09-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Probably because a digital readout is much easir to read and is more accurate than a sweeping needle.

Why have one at all??? Just need a "cold" light and a "too hot" light.

Ford has equipped their Falcon engines (for years!) with a limp home mode if the engine overheats (loss of coolant). Can't imagine why other manufacturers haven't.

Digital gauges are useless for joe average.... what exactly should the temp be to be normal? Manufacturers would have to field numerous stupid calls on the subject (or they would be asked on forums ;) )

Buller_Scott
09-09-2010, 02:29 PM
unless you mean if you want to know what the air temperature is?

so like, if you want to know if it's cold outside, before putting on your coat and getting out into the cold? or if you would like to confirm that it's just as hot as before you got into the car?

cameronp
09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Why have one at all??? Just need a "cold" light and a "too hot" light.

The analogue gauge on the Golf is effectively like this anyway - it always reads exactly 90C if the coolant temperature is within the normal operating range, regardless of what the actual temperature is.

IMO having a temperature gauge is still useful so you know when the engine has warmed up to avoid revving it too hard when it's cold.

NoFidelity
09-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah, a too hot light is good in principle. However, it is nice to know before it gets to "too hot" so you can get it to somewhere before this happens. Saving a couple of bucks by not putting a temp gauge in is madness!

So can anyone confirm if there is one in the MFD? This is going to be a deal breaker on a standard Polo if there is none. Will have to wait for the GTI... (Sigh!!!) :D

NoFidelity
09-09-2010, 05:44 PM
IMO having a temperature gauge is still useful so you know when the engine has warmed up to avoid revving it too hard when it's cold.

THIS is yet another reason why its important! Call me old school... but....

FJ Steve
09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Saving a couple of bucks by not putting a temp gauge in is madness!how does this equate to madness?

So can anyone confirm if there is one in the MFD? This is going to be a deal breaker on a standard Polo if there is none. Will have to wait for the GTI... (Sigh!!!) :D here you go....couldn't think of anyone more qualified to provide answers to all your questions.. Find a dealer > Volkswagen Sales > Volkswagen Australia (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/0/find_a_dealer.html)

Billecartz
09-09-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/P1000437-1.jpg

The dash board does not show a dedicated temperature gauge (viz. scale + dial etc).

From memory, the engine temp is available by scrolling through the MFD. I could be wrong. Maybe Billiecartz or a dealer/salesperson could verify.

You are correct there is no temp guage, just watch for the smoke coming from under the hood..... LOL

pologti18t
09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, a too hot light is good in principle. However, it is nice to know before it gets to "too hot" so you can get it to somewhere before this happens. Saving a couple of bucks by not putting a temp gauge in is madness!

People don't notice the temp gauge going past normal until its too late anyway. Like most warning systems it should only notify you of an exception (too cold or too hot)

Anyone remember the markings on a Ford temp gauge? For 80% of the scale it had in big letters "NORMAL" - lol

NoFidelity
09-09-2010, 11:11 PM
just watch for the smoke coming from under the hood..... LOL

LOL.... I like it.

:D

Transporter
10-09-2010, 06:03 AM
My first car was Renault12, it didn't have temperature gauge. I fitted one, after engine overheated and blowed head gasket because radiator hose had a tiny hole.:(

So, the temperature gauge is important. I'd like to hope that the light with acoustic warning would've come up should the engine temperature be outside of the normal range.

Though, I still prefer the temperature gauge.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

BR @ ON
11-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Could anybody give a simple answer to those people?

I would also like to know, but I won;t bother calling a dealer. It is not a top priority for me. (Still waiting for my car...)

Transporter
11-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Could anybody give a simple answer to those people?

I would also like to know, but I won;t bother calling a dealer. It is not a top priority for me. (Still waiting for my car...)

It was answered, there is not common temperature gauge.:)

Billecartz
11-09-2010, 06:41 PM
You are correct there is no temp guage, just watch for the smoke coming from under the hood..... LOL

Which part did you not get about "there is no temp gauge" ?

BR @ ON
12-09-2010, 12:10 AM
It was answered, there is not common temperature gauge.:)

Sorry mate. I have read your post before asking. But "not common Temp Guage" meaning there is a special one ?
I was looking for simple Y/N. I thought it was interesting to know, because I had no way of telling. I am still waiting on mine, and I bought it without actually sitting inside one.

I am not fussed about it by any means, but it just got a bit confusing after hearing from a few different people.

Allegiance
12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Sorry mate. I have read your post before asking. But "not common Temp Guage" meaning there is a special one ?
I was looking for simple Y/N. I thought it was interesting to know, because I had no way of telling. I am still waiting on mine, and I bought it without actually sitting inside one.

I am not fussed about it by any means, but it just got a bit confusing after hearing from a few different people.

No, no temp gauge.

BR @ ON
12-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Sure, thanks. I hope nothing goes wrong in the 3 years I am going to have it for!