PDA

View Full Version : Does Volkswagen Group Australia need to fast track Bio Diesel/Ethanol Compatibility ?

phaeton
26-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Does Volkswagen Group Australia need to fast track Bio Diesel Compatibility ?

I see some threads where users use Bio Diesel should VGA be at the forfront of Bio Diesel technology and Ethanol technology in Australia ?

brackie
27-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I believe that the new common rail diesels that VW are bringing out can use biodiesel.

phaeton
27-04-2007, 10:10 AM
hmmm I've read ones with DPFs cannot use Bio :?

Moonan
30-04-2007, 02:22 PM
My 2005 R5 TDI Touareg (a typical PD engine without DPF) can run on biodiesel - there is a whole chapter on use of FAME (fatty acid methyl ester) fuel in the owners manual. The only consequences are (according to the manual) slightly lower power and slightly increased fuel consumption. Also the need to change the fuel filter more often. VW Aus does not approve the use of biodiesel as they like a well covered a$$e - they are not yet happy that it would be made to an appropriate standard. This is despite the A.S. for biodiesel now having been in place for a couple of years. They need to confirm the research that says there is no harm in using it with a DPF, as that affects newer vehicles; but I believe that to be mostly an issue of not wanting to make a decision as well.
IMHO they would get a lot of kudos if they went full-throttle into pushing the "flex-fuel" nature of every diesel they have ever made.

type3sedan
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Moonan do you know if the Multivan engine is the same as the Touareg engine, and do you know if it is fine with Biodiesel? I put bio in it a couple of times without realising it and didn't notice any difference, then when I noticed the sign on the bowser I rang VW and they said no.
thanks