PDA

View Full Version : Low Tyre Pressure Indicator

BR @ ON
04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

I have recently ordered the new Polo (I am in Sydney) with the option of the Low tyre pressure indicator. I don't know much mechanical info on cars, but I know what I like, and I am happy with this car in general. My only wish is to upgrade to bigger set of wheels (no bigger than 17 inch). Thus, question arise as to the operation of the indicator when I go for the upgrade.

Does any of you know what sort of indicator system do they have in place on the Polo, and is it possible/easy for me to migrate the system onto the new set of wheels?

And is there any reprogramming required for the new wheels to work with the car's traction systems?

Would be great to get some input, Thank you guys!

BR @ ON
05-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Anybody changed their stock rims and tyres recently?

rory
05-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi BR@ON
I have a 2009 Jetta with the Low tyre pressure indicator. It works by comparing wheels reaction through the anti skid/ stability control program (a softer less gripping tyre would be sensed by these systems?) The manual says that unevenly (more to one side?) loading the car can set it off as well and that you rereference the system by pressing a "reset" button every time you change or top up the tyre pressure.
Maybe the Polo has the same system?
Rory

blutopless2
05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
yep as stated ^^^^^ i would guess it would be the same system as the jetta. i have it in my 2008 jetta and have 18" wheels from factory. afaik it does not directly measure the pressure in each tyre but indirectly measures it by calculating the rotation of each wheel. it will assume that if there is a difference that it must be due to pressure drop. I find it works quite well unless ALL 4 tyres drop by the same pressure over a period of time. then you get no indication that they have dropped as the response in the ABS is the same.. has worked for me in the past when one tyre had a small leak due to a nail in it. difference it detected was about 5 psi.
Once you upgrade the wheels and tyres and have your pressures the same just press and hold the TPI set button until it beeps. this sets the system for any alterations you have made.
you can buy aftermarket systems that directly measure the pressure in each tyre with wireless pressure sensors and have a display that shows the pressures at anytime... but i think this is probably overkill.

BR @ ON
05-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Thank you guys. Basically I just wanted to know if wheel/tyre upgrade was simple enough for me to do.

And the Low Tyre Pressure Indicator was a really useful system I would love to keep after the change.

noone
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
standard on last polo gti. Only had it come on when new wheels and tyres were fitted, they did not seal them properly.

BR @ ON
05-09-2010, 12:42 PM
So the system was only activated with the new set of wheels? you must be too excited about the car.

Did you fit your wheels at VW dealer or externally?

noone
05-09-2010, 12:49 PM
The sensor tripped as I was loosing pressure from 1 tyre. System always worked, but as my tyres were fine never saw the light. Think of it as measuring the tyres rotating. If one tyre goes around 600 times and the other 578, the tyres are not symmetrical. Fitting new wheels is as simple as jacking, remove 5 bolts, pull the old one off, new one on and put bolts back. Audi tt wheels are the way, if your car is the same offset.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/04/TTsleep2-1.jpg

As new Polo is same PCD as the last Polo, Mk4 Golf, early Audi A3, S3 and TT, these are all good options for cheap aftermarket wheels.

If you have the money, import from Tirerack.com

BR @ ON
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
I think importing would be out of my book here. I might take it to 17 inch. Not too fussy on the rims, as long as they look alright. But I do want to have good set of rubbers. In my opinion, that is what touches the ground.