PDA

View Full Version : MK2 Problem

MK2 GTI
23-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Im driving to torquay on saturday, all of a sudden the golf lost power and started running on 3, I pulled over gave it a good rev then it fired back on 4. I noticed before all this happened that it was lacking power a bit. I made it to torquay then parked it and started crackin some cans open. The next morning i go to start it and it wouldn't start, so i roll started it so it would crank quicker, it then ran on 3 again and poured a whole lotta black smoke out and after a good rev it ran on 4 again but now the cat was rattling its tits off, it was also still lacking in power. After letting it run for a bit i noticed a split coolant hose, so i tapped this up and topped up with water, after i did this it hasn't ran on 3 but still lacked in power (dunno how it could be related). Im sure i didnt cook the motor. So i think it is running rich and fouling up a plug every now and again and thats also why the cat would of collapsed, Any suggestions on what it would be thats causing it before i rip it apart and start testing things? I've just left the car in my driveway in anger with it. Also its a 2E motor with the origional 1.8 head and fuel injection system bolted onto it. Sorry for rambling on.

86gti
23-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Im thinking Head gasket mate. :(
blown between water jacket and cyl. letting water into one of the bores, it will also be pressurising the cooling system.
getting water in the cyl will make that cyl drop out cause water wont ignite. also make it rattle.

Do a compression test, and also check the pressure of the cooling system.

Oneofthegreats
23-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Simple check & has happened to me.

Check all the spark plugs condition. Especially around the electrode.
On my car it cracked the porceline & would fall down & cover up the electrode & run on 3. A quick rev & wallah, back on 4. Usually much worse when cold.
When tipping the plug upside down you could watch the proceline cover up the electrode.

As far as water in the bores. I've worked on plenty of cars with blown head gaskets & they still ran fine. It takes a hell of alot of water to put a plug out with the engine hot & on a long trip. Normally it will do it cold for a couple of seconds, then run fine if the head gasket is on it's way out.

A good head gasket check.
Best to check when cold only. Pull all the plugs out, depressurize the fuel system & remove the fuel pump fuse.
Pressure test the cooling system at 15 - 20psi & leave for 10 - 20 mins. Then with the help of a friend, hold a clean piece of white paper over all the spark plugs holes & crank over a few times
Check your paper for signs of coolant. If none, your head gasket should be fine. Also check if your oil is still clean & hasn't turned into a milkshake!

I'd remove the cat. & knock the gut's out of it. A big long fuel dump will do that to a cat. convertor.
My mum's car done the same thing because my dad filled it up with super & killed the cat. I knocked the gut's out of it & has never stuffed up.
You can get away with it (not legally though) because the oxy. sensor is before the cat. & doesn't upset the ECU.

MK2 GTI
23-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Simple check & has happened to me.

Check all the spark plugs condition. Especially around the electrode.
On my car it cracked the porceline & would fall down & cover up the electrode & run on 3. A quick rev & wallah, back on 4. Usually much worse when cold.
When tipping the plug upside down you could watch the proceline cover up the electrode.

As far as water in the bores. I've worked on plenty of cars with blown head gaskets & they still ran fine. It takes a hell of alot of water to put a plug out with the engine hot & on a long trip. Normally it will do it cold for a couple of seconds, then run fine if the head gasket is on it's way out.

A good head gasket check.
Best to check when cold only. Pull all the plugs out, depressurize the fuel system & remove the fuel pump fuse.
Pressure test the cooling system at 15 - 20psi & leave for 10 - 20 mins. Then with the help of a friend, hold a clean piece of white paper over all the spark plugs holes & crank over a few times
Check your paper for signs of coolant. If none, your head gasket should be fine. Also check if your oil is still clean & hasn't turned into a milkshake!

I'd remove the cat. & knock the gut's out of it. A big long fuel dump will do that to a cat. convertor.
My mum's car done the same thing because my dad filled it up with super & killed the cat. I knocked the gut's out of it & has never stuffed up.
You can get away with it (not legally though) because the oxy. sensor is before the cat. & doesn't upset the ECU.

Thanks for that, This is the second cat in one year! so somethings wrong. I dunno if it changes it but this happened right after i filled my car up with the new V-Power shell fuel (I usually always fill it up with BP Ultimate). I'll drive it around and hopefully it dies on me lol, it will be alot easier to fix that way, otherwise i will change the plugs and check for a head gasket on anzac day. Ever since DOVW it runs on 3 cylinders when its under load when i first pull out of my driveway but after that its fine (I steam cleaned the engine).

86gti
23-04-2007, 07:46 PM
still sounds like a gasket...hence blown hose....
Pressure in the system = no where for water to go cept blow hoses or split.
also cats dont like water.
ive had many turbo cars with this happen, and the water and fuel dont mix.
let us know how ya go.

MK2 GTI
10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Ok soo i've been a bit lazy and left this for a while lol, Finally had a look at it again today, There is no primary spark, so im going to try a new distributor tommorow and hopefully she will be back up and running properly.

Jmac
10-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Mate check the dizzy cap. Take of its jacket and itll be black with carbon. Clean this off and clean the inside as well also checking the carbon brush is intact. They were bad for this. The spark tracks all over the place and doesnt reach the important parts. Yeah black smoke is too rich and white is head gasket mate. Check coolant temp sensor (blue). Mat be giving the ecu the wrong readings too. Also check when its running that the coolant pipes arent getting hard, this would mean pressure in the cooling system(head gasket)

MK2 GTI
14-09-2007, 07:16 PM
It's all good now, the distributor fixed it, after all this time it's back to normal lol.