PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sway bar recommendations

gtiono
22-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Hello there, does anyone have recommendations (brands) for a rear sway bar on a GTI MIV. Mine is still stock and I would like to improve body roll and drivability without sacrificing bum comfort.

thanks in advance.

mikinoz
22-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Whiteline is cheap, adjustable, easy to fit and in my experience in combination with a shock/spring upgrade, providing excellent service.

Others may have different experiences, but I am happy with the one that I have.

Oh, and welcome. You posted any pics yet?

gtiono
22-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Whiteline is cheap, adjustable, easy to fit and in my experience in combination with a shock/spring upgrade, providing excellent service.

Others may have different experiences, but I am happy with the one that I have.

Oh, and welcome. You posted any pics yet?

Thanks Mikinoz for the prompt response. There's much better service here than any banks and telcos I've dealt with to date

Mine is currently a typical looking stock GTI (black), so until I get my new rims I don't think its worthwhile putting the pics up. (I realise I got a lot of catching up to do, but I'm happy to take it easy and enjoy the journey for now .. pun intended :)

What's a ballpark on a rear sway bar upgrade with suitable shock/spring upgrade plus installation in sydney?

thepowercosmic
23-04-2007, 01:16 AM

Mine is currently a typical looking stock GTI (black), so until I get my new rims I don't think its worthwhile putting the pics up. (I realise I got a lot of catching up to do, but I'm happy to take it easy and enjoy the journey for now .. pun intended :)

What's a ballpark on a rear sway bar upgrade with suitable shock/spring upgrade plus installation in sydney?

Hi gtiono,

If you decide to get Whiteline anti-sway bars - check out this link

http://whiteline.com.au/dealers_au.htm

If I recall correctly Whiteline themselves won't sell directly to the public and normally only sell their products via their distributors.

Not too sure how much they would be in price - I would hazard a guess and say somewhere between 200 and 300 bucks *shrug*

I recently bought a set of anti-sway bars for my car also...both front and rear, I got H&R anti-sway bars - I'm extremely pleased with how my car handles now.

You've got the right idea - mod your car slowly - enjoy the benefits of each modification.

gpk_gti
23-04-2007, 08:10 AM
hi mate,
ive got H&R ,if you are in the east/south syd,lets meet up and im happy to take you for a spin.I have front and rear sway bars with H&R coilovers and boy does it stick to the ground like #$@^!!
as for contacts for setups,we have BUG_RACER seb on our forum here who sells KW and you can contact Milan at TCCA motorsport 94363668 for H&R.

DIDZ
23-04-2007, 07:03 PM
If I recall correctly Whiteline themselves won't sell directly to the public and normally only sell their products via their distributors.

Hey champ, since when do they not sell directly to the public ?

I've bought heaps of stuff direct - if you're looking for customer service from them, then you wouldn't want to go down there, but if you've done your research and show them the $$$, they won't say no.

gtiono
08-05-2007, 02:36 PM
It's actually not too expensive getting a whiteline RSB ($165 @ burson), but I'm wondering has anyone here installed an RSB for day to day driving only? (with no changes made to stock suspension)

Does it make a difference with day to day driving? Or do the magnified road bumps override the benefits? I don't intend taking the car on track but do like the idea of less body roll whilst cornering round wisemen's ferry or the usual street corner.

gpk_gti
08-05-2007, 05:27 PM
sorry ,im a bit confused:? you want to change the RSB and leave the suspension stock ???and add rims to this???:?

gtiono
08-05-2007, 05:37 PM
sorry ,im a bit confused:? you want to change the RSB and leave the suspension stock ???and add rims to this???:?

I want to add things slowly and enjoy the difference it makes.
rims can wait and so can suspension. I thought the first upgrade should be a RSB because its cheap and the supposed benefit (less body roll) seems worthwhile for the price.

Are you saying me needs to upgrade the suspension along with an RSB?

gtiono
08-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Hey champ, since when do they not sell directly to the public ?

I've bought heaps of stuff direct - if you're looking for customer service from them, then you wouldn't want to go down there, but if you've done your research and show them the $$$, they won't say no.

I called them today and they told me to contact Autobahn or Burson for pricing. How come you get special treatment? do I need to mention watercooled or DIDZ?

gpk_gti
08-05-2007, 05:45 PM
ive never heard of anyone ever changing RswayB before anything else?? dont quote me! lets see what everyone else thinks,but ive never heard of that.most ppl change the suspension as that is the main culprit of the tubby handling.swaybars are usually secondary issue as the stock ones are not that bad.
BUT!!! if you do go ahead,you might change the way its usually done,IF IT WORKS,but you will tell us right?;)

gtiono
08-05-2007, 05:57 PM
hey I'm here to shatter all conventions (if not forum rules :) and let others know that there is another way of doing things.

Even if its completely accidental :-)

SoVeReIgN
10-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm currently waiting on a call back for the price of front and rear sway bars.

Requested 22mm front and rear adjustable and non-adjustable.

Would there be much interest in getting a groupbuy together ?

VW18LT
10-05-2007, 12:29 PM
yeah sounds good depends on the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

gpk_gti
10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
didnt you have h&r already sovereign?? and whats happening with your car since the smash??

im already h&r -f&r swaybar loaded.:)

SoVeReIgN
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
didnt you have h&r already sovereign?? and whats happening with your car since the smash??

im already h&r -f&r swaybar loaded.:)

Car is out of action for probably the next two weeks and i'm walking around/scabbing lifts (With a injured foot :( )
Will hopefully be getting my hands on a rental early next week though, that will make my life a little easier. Suprsingly im not too bothered without having my car though, I'm spending alot less money already!

And nah - Suspension is stock, I'm happy with the engine at the moment so now i'm moving onto some suspension work. Did you notice much difference with the swaybars? And what other suspension mods have you got ? :)

Got price for ONE - Didnt enquire about a groupbuy yet:
Front and rear both 22mm adjustable - $200 each
Front and rear both 22mm non-adjustable - $190 each

All Whiteline gear - Would go adjustable for obvious reasons and they said they can have it/them ready 7days after ordering.

Anyone else interested at those sort of prices? I'd imagine we'd be looking at 180 or similar for the adjustable if we got a bunch of people together.

Apparently, even with stock suspension the RSB makes the car feel alot more planted when cornering and get rid of alot of the understeer these things have when pushed!

gtiono
10-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Apparently, even with stock suspension the RSB makes the car feel alot more planted when cornering and get rid of alot of the understeer these things have when pushed!

Sovereign, body roll and understeer aside, what about the general bum comfort during day to day driving? Do you notice the bumps more?

shaneth
10-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I can get either adjustable delivered for $210 or both ordered together for $410 delivered. thats the best i can do.

gpk_gti
10-05-2007, 09:26 PM
And what other suspension mods have you got ? :)
!
ive got the h&r coilovers and f&r H&R swaybars.and what a difference,no hint of understeer,and thats with given it a arm full!! really sticks to the ground.I have noticed without the wider rims it feels slightly worse off through the corners but I think thats just some tram lining on these fantastic roads we have.been in alot of other cars with other brand suspension mods and I swear by h&r.very happy with the handling of my golf.