PDA

View Full Version : Wiring: Anyone know how to wire up a cabrio dash to the MKI

EndlessMKI
17-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, is there anyone on here that's familiar with this dash swap. Im sure it's been done heaps of times.........

I need to hook up fuel meter, tacho, temp.

Cheers.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/MKI4EVA/IMG_1249.jpg

syncro
17-12-2005, 06:48 PM
What actually do you need to know?

EndlessMKI
18-12-2005, 07:58 AM
What actually do you need to know?

how do i hook up "I need to hook up fuel meter, tacho, temp."

which wires goes where.

Golf Loon
18-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Tacho is easy, one wire to each side of coil.

Temp is easy too, take the wire from the clocks to the temp sender unit.

If you only have a multiplug output with a handful of coloured wires, you need to know which year car the clocks are from and then look up the wire colours in the workshop manual.

syncro
18-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Need more information.
I suspect that you mean a post '81 dash to a pre '81 car. There is no difference between Cabrio and hatch.

What wiring loom from the dash are you using?
Which fuse box are you using?

Golf Loon
18-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Does the glovebox open up or down? The Mk 1.5 dash opens up and the earlier ones open down.

The looms are different and the connections are different.

syncro
19-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Does the glovebox open up or down?

That's an easier way to work it out.

The Mk 1.5 dash opens up and the earlier ones open down.

Good nomenclature. We could call the Aussie GTIs (big bumper) Mk2.5.

Saves the confusion on here :idea:

82cab
19-12-2005, 07:13 AM
i've done it a few times but it's been a while. I just ended up tracing the printed circuits on both instrument panels, you'll get sore eyes but atleast you'll know for sure what goes where there is actually some writing on the circuit behind the black plug (on the cabrio pannel)which will tell you what is where. It also helps if you can read german, but you can sort of figure it out . You'll need the different plug for the light switch but all the wires are colour coded the same way so if your plug (off the cabrio dash) has the wires cut and are still in the plug life should be very easy. If you're really stuck let me know and i'll pull my dash apart and have a look. I can't think of any real problems in changing.it over apart from the different mounting points for the actual dash board.