PDA

View Full Version : Mk4 Switchblades for Mk3 keys

rayray086
22-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey guys,

I came across this website:

http://www.subtilecommunication.com/blog/2007/03/01/mk4-switchblade-with-mk3-key/

I am going to be ordering one - it's basically a modified Mk4 switchblade key fob that accepts Mk3 keys. The Mk4 switchblade has a mechanism that basically flips the key out when you want to use it, and when you don't, it can be flipped back down into its hiding place.

The one I'm buying comes with a blank so there is no fiddling around with the internals - just have to have it cut for your car. I believe the seller is asking $50USD shipped to me each (I'm awaiting confirmation), and I will update this thread once I get the final price. Anyone else interested? Combined shipping means that it'll end up being cheaper than $50USD each. I will make the purchase this coming Wednesday so PM me if you want one too!

Regards,
Raymond.

gpk_gti
22-04-2007, 07:03 PM
does it have the anti theft chip inside?? make sure it does as your car wont turn on without it.I bought a switch blade one off ebay and came without the dam chip!!:mad:

MattyT
22-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Interesting...

gpk_gti
22-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Interesting...

what?? didnt know about the chip?? its a little rectangle thing inside,looks like a proximity chip,maybe magnetic,but it definately has no power feeding it.

peedman
22-04-2007, 07:18 PM
does it have the anti theft chip inside?? make sure it does as your car wont turn on without it.I bought a switch blade one off ebay and came without the dam chip!!:mad:

Ah i get what you mean. Programming the chip is quite expensive, I got quoted $90 for a new key with immobiliser programmed whereas a generic key is like $6.50.

mikinoz
22-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Just place the original key in your glove box and you'll be right! :)

deemoE36
22-04-2007, 07:23 PM
the reason why you cant make a copy of your key is because of the immobiliser, without which the car wont start
so if it doesnt have the chip, it wont work

gpk_gti
22-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Just place the original key in your glove box and you'll be right! :)

great idea!!!j: haha

mikinoz
22-04-2007, 08:13 PM
If you can get MKIV blanks in the switchblade, I am interested in joining in on the group guy. (but I need a MKIV blank for my MKIV golf, geddit?)

Bora Sport
22-04-2007, 08:18 PM
If they can be programmed I'm interested. I wonder if they can be programmed for the Beeza as well.

gpk_gti
22-04-2007, 08:30 PM
dont think they can be programmed?? can they??I mean the imobiliser. I think the dealer can programme the doors/remote lock if you have it..but mk3 never came with that feature.the mk4 switch key has door open/lock only.

Golf Loon
22-04-2007, 08:33 PM
If you were to glue your original Mk3 key near to the ignition barrell, inside the clamshell, the imobilizer would be bypassed and the car can be started with a copy key ;)

Bora Sport
22-04-2007, 09:23 PM
From what i understand with any replacement key 2 things are required.

1. The key blank has to be cut to match the original key.

2. The key has to be programmed so that it will 'talk' to the immobliser to allow the car to be started.

I did the excercise recently trying to get a 2nd key for the Vento and the Cupra and in both cases it was going to cost $100+ for each key by the tme the key was purchased, cut and programmed.

Tim
22-04-2007, 09:54 PM
pre 96 cars dont have this problem. the key is just a key. The only fancy thing u get is the one with a light in it.

rayray086
22-04-2007, 11:18 PM
The only fancy thing u get is the one with a light in it.

I've got that key, except it doesn't light up anymore, and I haven't been bothered to change it yet.

I actually forgot about the programmed chip thing - though now I remember Pedro telling me about that "$90 to program a new key" business.

If you can get MKIV blanks in the switchblade, I am interested in joining in on the group guy. (but I need a MKIV blank for my MKIV golf, geddit?)

If they can be programmed I'm interested. I wonder if they can be programmed for the Beeza as well.

I'll ask the seller about the chip, and about Mk4 blanks. I just hope American VWs aren't THAT different to the European versions.

pre 96 cars dont have this problem. the key is just a key.

Hey Tim, so are you saying with pre-96 cars they don't have that programmed chip that everyone is talking about? I've got a pre-96 and has no remote immobiliser nor alarm.

I got the price confirmed @ $50USD each.

Tim
22-04-2007, 11:33 PM
to the best of my knowledge that is correct. I pull my key apart and there is no chip in it. Just a battery and a button to complete the circuit to the light bulb

rayray086
22-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and buy myself one then. I'll take the chance. If it doesn't work, then it'll just mean a bit of tinkering from one key to another ;)

I'll be making the order on Wednesday night. I'll post any updates as soon as I get them.

D.I.T
22-04-2007, 11:56 PM
I have a 95 model vr6 and i needed to get the key programed to be able to start the car.

$90 including the key

DubSteve
23-04-2007, 09:37 AM
As I'm stairing at my internals of the key now mine has a light like Rays and Tims and also has like a little black box on the left hand side of it.

Is this the program chip that were talking about?

If so can't it just be moved from one key to the other?

BlackVr6ix
23-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I was thinking of doing this and wiring in my spare remote for my aftermarket alarm into it, so it actually works.

rayray086
23-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I got a reply about the chip - the chip in the Mk4 key fob is only compatible with the Mk4, not the Mk3.

I was thinking of doing this and wiring in my spare remote for my aftermarket alarm into it, so it actually works.

I've seen a write-up for doing that on the vortex. Will have to try and find it again if you're curious.

Tim
23-04-2007, 11:50 AM
hmm really? interesting. i guess im wrong! again! go me! :)

DubSteve
23-04-2007, 12:14 PM
So can we just buy one and plug and play or does it need to be programmed and if programming is required how much are we looking at.

I'm thinking of buying one. Ray does this mean that you are doing a group buy??? GROUP BUY!!! :)

Golfer
23-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I know mine's got no chip. Had a spare cut for those "just in case" moments, run-of-the-mill bit of metal from local locksmith, starts the car no problemos :?

Golfer
23-04-2007, 12:57 PM
So you are not completely wrong Tim j:

hmm really? interesting. i guess im wrong! again! go me! :)

gpk_gti
23-04-2007, 03:32 PM
im pretty sure the imobiliser chip cannot be programmed.. sounds like the dealers have been smashing you guys.the only thing that can be programmed is the remote control door lock,that has to be programmed.

peedman
23-04-2007, 04:32 PM
The mk3 one can definately be programmed provided the new one is blank and u have a copy of the original to be well copied!

rayray086
23-04-2007, 04:33 PM
So can we just buy one and plug and play or does it need to be programmed and if programming is required how much are we looking at.

I'm thinking of buying one. Ray does this mean that you are doing a group buy??? GROUP BUY!!! :)

Yep :) I'm gonna take the risk and buy one and hope it works without needing any programming. If you want to take the risk as well, then by all means, but I'm not responsible if it does end up requiring another $90 (as the other guys seem to indicate here) to get it "programmed"!

Update: The seller got back to me and claims no programming is required - just need to have it cut.

So if you're interested, give me a PM! I would prefer organising a group buy with people located in Sydney - I could pass it on to you on the next GTG/cruise. If you're living elsewhere, it may end up being more expensive for you as I'll have to forward the shipping to you. So if you're interested in getting one, I can pass on the e-mail.

DubSteve
24-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm in thats for sure would love to have one.

DerSubtileVento
24-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I am the one who wrote the original article that Ray posted. To clear things up:

1. The product listed is for Mk3 owners who want the switchblade style key that comes in Mk4+ VWs.
2. The electronic buttons on this key fob will NOT work on your Mk3.
3. When you buy one of these switchblade blanks, the only thing you need to do is have it cut to match your current key.
4. You use this key just like any other normal key, except it comes in a switchblade key fob that lets you flip it open and closed when you're bored at work or in class.

The only reason for buying one of these is to get the switchblade key fob holder for the key. :D

The electronics will not work. I bought one because I like the switchblade and the fact that it hides the key when not in use. It keeps the key from poking me while I'm carrying it around in my pocket.

The seller I bought the key from has some awesome quality products and is very easy to work with. I would recommend her to anyone. :cool:

DubSteve
24-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Welcome DerSubtileVento,

Good to have you on here don't have many Vento's on this forum so your one of rarerity;)

Just to ask you a question can you make the button work? Such as transfering all the circuit and that from a Alarm remote into that and it would work?

Vr6_Dog
24-04-2007, 02:51 PM
aah so you would just use it like you existing key and use your existing remote as well. Would still be good to have one even if it not programmable. If theres a group buy I'm in.

rayray086
24-04-2007, 06:22 PM
I am the one who wrote the original article that Ray posted. To clear things up:

1. The product listed is for Mk3 owners who want the switchblade style key that comes in Mk4+ VWs.
2. The electronic buttons on this key fob will NOT work on your Mk3.
3. When you buy one of these switchblade blanks, the only thing you need to do is have it cut to match your current key.
4. You use this key just like any other normal key, except it comes in a switchblade key fob that lets you flip it open and closed when you're bored at work or in class.

The only reason for buying one of these is to get the switchblade key fob holder for the key. :D

The electronics will not work. I bought one because I like the switchblade and the fact that it hides the key when not in use. It keeps the key from poking me while I'm carrying it around in my pocket.

The seller I bought the key from has some awesome quality products and is very easy to work with. I would recommend her to anyone. :cool:

Thanks for clearing that up Mike, and welcome to the forums :)

rayray086
24-04-2007, 06:26 PM
http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/alarmtext.htm

Here's the DIY for wiring your own keyless entry/alarm. It might work with the switchblade buttons?

DerSubtileVento
25-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Mike, and welcome to the forums :)

No problem. Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome DerSubtileVento,

Good to have you on here don't have many Vento's on this forum so your one of rarerity;)

Just to ask you a question can you make the button work? Such as transfering all the circuit and that from a Alarm remote into that and it would work?

I thought it was interesting this sub-section was only labeled "Mk3 Golf."

As far as getting the buttons to work, there have been some electrical gurus on Vortex that have tried, but I'm not sure how many have been successful. It basically requires taking the Mk3 remote apart and cutting down the circuit board to make it fit and rewiring stuff inside the remote, etc. Definitely not something I could do.

aah so you would just use it like you existing key and use your existing remote as well.

Word. You got it exactly right. However, since I didn't get a remote with my Mk3, the switchblade key is basically just an aesthetic accessory. :D

rayray086
25-04-2007, 01:26 AM
I thought it was interesting this sub-section was only labeled "Mk3 Golf."

Unfortunately Australia did not receive many Vento/Jetta models. synchro/Phill has confirmed that there were only GL models that came down to Australia, so no VR6-equipped GLX models made it here. I wonder what other models for the Vento/Jetta was made under?

DerSubtileVento
25-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Unfortunately Australia did not receive many Vento/Jetta models. synchro/Phill has confirmed that there were only GL models that came down to Australia, so no VR6-equipped GLX models made it here. I wonder what other models for the Vento/Jetta was made under?

I see. I own a 1997 Jetta Jazz. It is basically a GL with crank windows, but the Jazz model also included:
-driver side height adjustable seat
-6 disc CD changer
-sunroof
-power locks

The GT model had special badges, different interior trim and the red/black tail lights.

The GLS was essentially the same as a GLX with power everything, but the GLS came with the 2.0 engine.

There were also other promo models like the Jetta Trek and the Jetta K2. The Trek came with a Trek model bike and special interior and the K2 came with a snowboard.

Somewhere I've seen a complete rundown on all the different trim options offered for the Mk3. I'll have to dig it up.

rayray086
25-04-2007, 09:41 PM
OK guys, I will order it off tomorrow night. At the moment, Vr6_Dog and Mk3_Vr6 are also interested. Anymore takers?

rayray086
27-04-2007, 09:53 AM
PM'ed to those that were interested. Cheers.

BL33SU
27-04-2007, 12:16 PM
would this work for the passat keys?

rayray086
27-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Nope, the seller only has Mk3 blank keys.

D.I.T
27-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Sorry guys but in essence, can the the key be programed to start the car?

rayray086
27-04-2007, 09:53 PM
To begin with, I didn't even know Mk3 keys required programming. I don't think my car has an immobiliser as my factory radio stays on even when I take the key out - although I don't know whether or not they have any relation to one another.

DerSubtileVento
30-04-2007, 12:50 PM
To begin with, I didn't even know Mk3 keys required programming. I don't think my car has an immobiliser as my factory radio stays on even when I take the key out - although I don't know whether or not they have any relation to one another.

There is no programming on Mk3 keys. The switchblade holder is basically just a decorative shell for a standard Mk3 key.

rayray086
30-04-2007, 08:35 PM
There is no programming on Mk3 keys. The switchblade holder is basically just a decorative shell for a standard Mk3 key.

I just hope our keys are similar to that! Just that some guys have had their keys programmed which can only be done by the dealer...

Anyway, PM's sent ;)

Vr6_Dog
01-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Just found this on ebay, is this how you would possibly get the buttons to work? Plug 'n' Play they call it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fernbedienung-VW-GOLF-3-Passat-Plug-n-Play-V19_W0QQitemZ200105490036QQihZ010QQcategoryZ53915Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DerSubtileVento
02-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Just found this on ebay, is this how you would possibly get the buttons to work? Plug 'n' Play they call it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fernbedienung-VW-GOLF-3-Passat-Plug-n-Play-V19_W0QQitemZ200105490036QQihZ010QQcategoryZ53915Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like that is their own version of the key. From the pictures, it appears you plug in their module box into your locking system and then use the remotes they give you.

No idea how well it works or whether or not that company's product is quality.

bboyskidz
02-05-2007, 02:47 PM

the upgraded model of mine (97 CL) has a proximity chip reader in it as well as programmed keys. i've seen it in the manual. i'll show you pics when i get home... you would definately know if you needed one though. if you don't know what it is then you won't have thsi feature.

Tim
15-05-2007, 02:06 PM
ok definative answer for my 4/95 build VR6.
I got some el cheapo blanks from OS.
had one cut today and it starts the car fine but it cuts out after a few seconds if u let it fall to the idle speed.

Put my original key along side the ignition and starts fine and keeps running.

So yeah. there is a proximity chip in the key!
Thats fine tho. I can sleep well at night knowing that if i lose my key i still have a copy of the pattern. and it has only cost me $5 so far

Tim
15-05-2007, 08:36 PM
oct 94 onwards seems to be what this wiring diagram seems to suggest.