PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Dyno Day Results 21.04.07

thepowercosmic
22-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi All,

After some eventual sleep and with the help from mikinoz - here are the results of the Sydney Dyno Day.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/iamthepowercosmic/DYNO_Day_Results.jpg

Would really like to thank Seb for organising such a great event..!!

Without him taking the initiative to get the Dyno Day off the ground, I and the thirty nine other cars would not have been able to dyno our cars collectively and most importantly for the people that turned up to able to just simply enjoy a day where all could meet up and have a good old chin wag.

Thanks to Pierre and Marko as well - otherwise NO one would have eaten a thing.

Thanks to Seph - without him writing down the numbers we wouldn't be able to see any numbers for the entire day.

There's a bunch of others as well that made things go as smoothly as possible, like Ash (we wouldn't of had any cold drinks otherwise), Holly (the dog, to provide some light entertainment hahaha).

For whatever reason, I was somehow appointed as the the event liason officer :???: so most of the day was me running around like a headless chook :)

I personally had a great time - it was a pleasure to meet and chat with fellow like minded VAG nutters..!!
I had never dyno'd my car or even seen someone dyno their own car.
So to see 40 of them was so cool - especially with the large majority of them representing the VAG banner (there were two that were non VAG - let us not speak about this any further LOL)

It felt like the VW Nationals after party..!! hahahaha
There were that many people...!!

I drove home feeling like a sack of potatoes (I was absolutely buggered), my car smelling like freshly baked bread rolls and with a taste of petrol in my mouth, but I couldn't help but feel very happy and pleased that I was part of the VW watercooled community.

Cheers to all that turned up - I had a blast..!!!!!!

Hope to do it ALL over again (not for a while though hey, feet and back need to recover..!!)

PS: Sorry if I have spelt some peoples names incorrectly - AND I may have got some numbers wrong - I'm still very much sleep deprived..

GoLfMan
22-04-2007, 05:27 PM
sounds like a fantastic day!!

Holy Sh@t!!! an Audi A4 with 370kw's at all 4 wheels.... man what a car :D
awesome/interesting results all round!

brackie
22-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Looks like it was a great event. Thanks for organising it Seb, and thanks to thepowercosmic for working so hard on the day.

Good to hear of watercoolers getting together and enjoying it without the barriers. This is what I like to see :)

TDI didn't do so well....Did it??:(

srbsta
22-04-2007, 06:15 PM
damn nice day and some great numbers there.....371.8kw@all 4 wheels omg crzy hahahah

mikinoz
22-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Stan is a great guy Brackie, always willing to go that extra mile!

Props to Seb also!

I am impressed by that REVO Polo GTI...

VW18LT
22-04-2007, 07:29 PM
yeah it was a good day

thanks to all who took part in setting it up!

gpk_gti
23-04-2007, 09:59 AM
sorry to sound like a dyno noob guys,but these results have been achieved in which gear??:?
thanks for posting all this info for us to see thepowercosmic..!:)

DubSteve
23-04-2007, 10:35 AM
It was a great day, I went down myself but was unable to run the VR6:(

Spoke to a few people Stan, Pierre great chatting the both of you. MILKAS car FARRRRRRRRRR OUTTTTTTT so loud with that exhaust lol.

Great to see a community there fantastic work guys.

evorobin
23-04-2007, 11:20 AM
POLO GTI making 137KW with exhaust and FMIC + chip. Excellent for a K03

fuzion
23-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Todd from Mainline Dyno's used a MDX Dyno Machine (quite accurate compared to dyno dynamics in my opinion).

3rd gear was for manuals and i think 3rd or 4th for the auto/dsgs.

gpk, have you run your car up yet?

VWEAPN
23-04-2007, 12:00 PM
in my standard MK4 GTI my first dyno run was 93kw, chipped on the second dyno and got 98kw. work that one out

gpk_gti
23-04-2007, 12:04 PM
yeah I have mate,but there are some niggling little gremlins that I have to track down(self incurred!:mad: Im not as good mech as I thought!hehe). (was on a mainline dynometer)
Isnt the the standard to use 4th here in australia?thats what I was told...

fuzion
23-04-2007, 12:20 PM
in my standard MK4 GTI my first dyno run was 93kw, chipped on the second dyno and got 98kw. work that one out

you might find that it needs to adapt/run in for 60-100kms before being noticed as well.

take it back to Todd for another run sometime soon or Crescent Motors @ liverpool, both use mdx's .. im sure you'll notice the improvement

VWEAPN
23-04-2007, 01:14 PM
ah k well thats a relief, thanks heaps

thepowercosmic
23-04-2007, 04:04 PM
sorry to sound like a dyno noob guys,but these results have been achieved in which gear??:?
thanks for posting all this info for us to see thepowercosmic..!:)

Hey gpk_gti,

No need to be sorry - I was a dyno virgin until Saturday...hahaha

I had a chat with Todd and I only remember him saying for cars with 5 gears it was a 3rd gear pull, and cars with 6 gears it was a 4th gear pull.

I can't if this was changed for cars with the DSG.

Hope that helps.

DubSteve
23-04-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm kicking myself that I missed it now, and I missed Lucas's A4 I heard that was crazy, stupid Porsche wheel:(

thepowercosmic
23-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Hey VWEAPN,

There was another person with a MK4 GTI (the red one, not Fuzion's) that had similar numbers after their GIAC chip was installed - if I recall correctly he had a problem with the diverter valve. Once that was fixed, he was pleased with his numbers.

Possibly check your diverter valve.

BL33SU
23-04-2007, 05:19 PM
yeah I have mate,but there are some niggling little gremlins that I have to track down(self incurred!:mad: Im not as good mech as I thought!hehe). (was on a mainline dynometer)
Isnt the the standard to use 4th here in australia?thats what I was told...

yeh i thought it was 4th gear aswell.. been told 3rd gear u get higher numbers, 4th gear is the closest 1:1 ratio or sum****.. not sure:???:

gpk_gti
23-04-2007, 06:08 PM
thanks for that! so was it on purpose that he did the dyno in 3rd??to get the higher numbers or is that just the way he does it?? think my next dyno will be there;)

Timbo
23-04-2007, 06:32 PM
On my understanding, the gear used doesn't really matter -- either 3rd or 4th for 5sp, 4th or 5th for 6sp -- it is really just a safety issue. If you use the higher gear, the car sitting on the dyno is effectively doing probably 160+kph, and if it breaks loose!!!:( Safer to use a lower speed gear.

As each car was set up, you would have seen Todd doing some short runs to correlate the dyno and the car for indicated speeds vs actual. For a comprehensive tuning dyno, the operator will actually try to connect to the tacho, to get RPM, but that takes ages to set each car up, so road speed is used.

When you think about it, the gear used shouldn't make any difference provided there is a correlation between the car and the dyno, although there may be some factors which rule out using, eg, 1st & 2nd -- probably the tendency for slippage between the rollers and the tyres.

And yes, one of the ways to manipulate dyno results is with the correlation calculation...or not doing it all :o No evidence of any of that bs on Saturday :)

DIDZ
23-04-2007, 07:14 PM
yeh i thought it was 4th gear aswell.. been told 3rd gear u get higher numbers, 4th gear is the closest 1:1 ratio or sum****.. not sure:???:

Correct. Dyno should be at 4th as it is the closest to 1:1 ratio.

3rd gear gives an inflated figure. Gee, I wonder what figures I would get if I had did my dyno in 3rd !!!!!!!!!

1st Gear 2.670
2nd Gear 1.944
3rd Gear 1.308
4th Gear 1.029
5th Gear 0.837
6th Gear 0.000
Final Drive FD 3.389

If I've got any of the above wrong, please correct me.

Didier :D

gpk_gti
23-04-2007, 08:03 PM
so 4th is closer to 1:1 right??? and if you did your dyno run in 3rd and wanted to compare someone elses run that was done in 4th you would divide the 3rd gear run x 1.3??
eg--- 3rd gear run = 150kw divided by 1.308= 114.6kw 4th gear run

or to convert a 4th gear run to compare against a 3rd gear run you would times the 4th gear run x 1.3???
eg 4th gear run= 100kw times by 1.308=130.8kw 3rd gear

RIGHT????
not trying to be smarty but most of the dyno places I have been and spoken to run in 4th and most forums here run in 4th.just comparing apples to apples.....

thanks guys!

gpk_gti
23-04-2007, 09:31 PM
arrrggghhh,the more I read on the net,the more confused I get......:?

VWEAPN
23-04-2007, 10:33 PM
ye the red gti was on about 115kw, might actually get in contact with him.

thanks powercosmic

fuzion
24-04-2007, 11:13 AM
if your wanting to run on a MDX Dyno again, contact Todd or also Joe @ Crescent Motorsport in liverpool (9600-6229) as he knows his dyno's and will happily fit you in for a run or two

regarding dyno infomation http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=58222 which Todd himself from Mainline posted about corrections etc.

SoVeReIgN
24-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Damn.. I just realised.

My CAI tube from airbox to frontbar wasn't connected for the dyno- It would have just been sucking in hot air straight out of the engine bay. :(

Silly me for not checking it before the car went on the dyno. (And well, not securing it well enough too)

DubSteve
24-04-2007, 11:58 AM
if your wanting to run on a MDX Dyno again, contact Todd or also Joe @ Crescent Motorsport in liverpool (9600-6229) as he knows his dyno's and will happily fit you in for a run or two

regarding dyno infomation http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=58222 which Todd himself from Mainline posted about corrections etc.

It was a good day loved listening to the cars thats for sure, great to see a community out there and having fun. When is the next dyno I want in :P

gpk_gti
24-04-2007, 12:20 PM
ok,thanks Fuzion! hopefully friday I will have some time to find that bloody gremlin ,then I can look at gettn the dyno done again

fuzion
24-04-2007, 01:58 PM
There will be another one in 3 months, so to who ran now would be a great time to finish your projects/or start some so you can see the next result.

And it'll also be winter, so some great cold runs as well.

hopefully ill get mine sorted and get a bit more out of it too!

DubSteve
24-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Can't wait for the next one hopefully with a service and Chip of some sought maybe even new cam I am hoping I can get the first two done atleast.