PDA

View Full Version : What RON fuel do you run in each of your cars?

Dyldo
27-08-2010, 11:58 AM
As some may know, my in-laws have acquired a service station of another family member and I'd like to gauge the VWW use of RON and which one is used most.

Our customer base is currently so skewed to long-haul trucks that our diesel turnover is about 85% of all fuel stock. The excellent benefit there is the fuels (unleaded included) are always delivered no more than 48 hours in advance so our fuels are very fresh.

If we assume the VWW community is a fair representation of the non-truck market, the biggest question I now have is to gauge the demand for fuels to ensure we have the right mix of pumps and tanks.

Vote multiple times if you have multiple cars

brad
27-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I use 98ron.

I'm not sure that an enthusiast forum is a fair representation of the general public......

My fathers last 2 cars were supposed to be PULP but he continues to put ULP in them (but is strangely scared of e10).

My sister runs ULP in her Accord Euro. She is about to take delivery of an EOS 2.0TSI & I can almost guarantee that she'll run ULP in that too.

My FIL runs ULP in his Camry too.

Aussies are tight-arses when it comes to fuel.

team_v
27-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I use 98Ron exclusively in the Tig as it's running the APR map.

My parents use 91Ron their petrol cars and normal diesel in the 4x4.

Dyldo
27-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I run 95 in my Bora (its not tuned to anything other than stock factory tune, which is 91/95 mapped anyway) and standard diesel in my Golf.

VWW is an enthusiast forum, sure, but there are tonnes of Mk1/2/3 and it is those cars that would run a mix of e10, 91 and 95.

Ben J
28-08-2010, 01:16 AM
only 98 for my mk3 :)

But yes probably not going to get very fair results as brad said, being a forum for people semi-obsessed with there cars

Dyldo
28-08-2010, 01:25 AM
is the mk3 tuned for 98? My understanding is that if a car that runs perfectly well on 91 or even 95 does not receive any bonus at all for running 98.

Ben J
28-08-2010, 01:21 PM
well its a vr6, the fuel cap says to use 95 or something, and idk if thats meant to be 95 in uk standards or what, eitherway 98 seems to make it happy :)

Your probably right and it makes little/no difference, but that further goes to show that on here your just going to find a load of vw crazed people who will only want to give there cars the best, unlike someone who just sees there car as a way for a -> b

Manaz
28-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I currently run 98RON in my Bora V6 4Motion, but am considering trialling 95RON for a while to see if I lose the black tailpipes I have currently.

Most chips/tunes specify 98RON I believe (and the tunes make use of the extra octane level by running increased timing). I know the CC tune for my car requires 98RON (so I'll be back on it regardless once I finally get the car tuned).

My other car is a 2005 Subaru Outback, that gets a diet of 91RON (and since Subaru said E10 was OK, often gets E10). It's my wife's daily drive, she's not what you'd call a car person, so fuel for it is bought on price. I'll occasionally run some 98RON through it to give it a bit of a clean-out (BP Ultimate for instance has cleaning compounds in it, as does Shell V-Power).

thestu
28-08-2010, 02:04 PM
98 in the vr6 :)

idaho
29-08-2010, 01:05 AM
RON98 in Golf V GT Sport,
RON95 in Pajero NS (or 98RON if 95 not available).
Both cars are E5/10/xx free zones.

Dyldo
29-08-2010, 06:10 PM
well its a vr6, the fuel cap says to use 95 or something, and idk if thats meant to be 95 in uk standards or what, eitherway 98 seems to make it happy :)

Your probably right and it makes little/no difference, but that further goes to show that on here your just going to find a load of vw crazed people who will only want to give there cars the best, unlike someone who just sees there car as a way for a -> b

Hell, if 98 makes her happy then run 98. I personally run 95 in my Bora because I remain convinced that the 98 is a waste as my Bora is not tuned for it. I have read up on the subject, and the basic facts appear to be that in a car with a modern engine management system then as it detects a higher RON value it advances the timing to compensate. The reverse is also true, in that if the engine detects pinging or knocking (typically lower RON value in the fuel) it will retard the timing to prevent engine damage.

A huge misconception is that RON = power. Simply not true. The RON value is created/altered at the refinery by changing the chemical make-up of the fuel (all fuels are just a cocktail of hydrocarbons anyway) and then they add cleaners and surfactants etc. Basically, a good engine management system will advance timing till detonation is detected and then retard so there are no knocks detected.

Clearly from the pools the winner is 98, which is understandable and indicative of the love we throw the way of our Frauleins. I can't help but wonder though of the wasted "potential" of the fuels we use. I.e. we love our cars so much but don't go and get the ECUs tuned to run 98 to take FULL advantage of the fuels we get (not a lot of countries get over 91, and 95 in the US is their Super-Premium fuels. In fact they run e85 but thats a whole other thread :)

Most chips/tunes specify 98RON I believe (and the tunes make use of the extra octane level by running increased timing). I know the CC tune for my car requires 98RON (so I'll be back on it regardless once I finally get the car tuned).

I am so taking your Bora for a run with the CC tune. yum.

brad
30-08-2010, 08:36 AM
A
. I.e. we love our cars so much but don't go and get the ECUs tuned to run 98 to take FULL advantage of the fuels we get (not a lot of countries get over 91, and 95 in the US is their Super-Premium fuels. In fact they run e85 but thats a whole other thread :)

The US measures their fuel using the MON (Motor Octane Number) rating system. It gives a lower number than our RON rating. Japan has 100ron readily available & 99ron is common in the UK.

Also, octane numbers don't take into account the other components of a fuel - eg: sulfur levels

Also, ROn rating doesn't take into account