PDA

View Full Version : A question of warranty

DaveMack
22-04-2007, 04:44 PM
As an owner of a relatively new Pog (Feb '06), I wonder about the implications of taking your car back to the VW agency for service with such obviously visible performance enhancing items such as sway bars, coilover suspension, etc. Like just about all on this forum, I too want the best performance out of my Pog and, with the available settings for chipping, we can hide such things from the dealer.

But when it comes to obvious items ... what happens to your warranty?

Anyone have experiences they can relate?

Cheers,
Dave

shaneth
22-04-2007, 04:55 PM
From GIAC website
6. Will my dealer void my warranty?

It could happen. GIAC has developed and will continue to develop its products to be compatible with factory and other scan tools. GIAC does not condone or recommend any attempt to mislead factory automotive service providers for the purposes of complying with factory warranty agreements. In addition, GIAC makes no guarantees on it products’ compliance with such warranty agreements.

From APR website
All APR chip upgrades use encryption, which serve several purposes. First, it keeps prying eyes out of our software and prevents lesser companies from copying the chip and degrading the product. Secondly, the encryption prevents the dealer from flash programming the ECU. Also, all APR software is undetectable to a dealers VAG diagnostic tool.

From what i have heard its not totally undetectable. The dealer will find it if he really wants to. The other thing i have read is that the dealer can only void the warranty if its proven that the performance upgrade is directly responsible. Oettinger on the other hand offer some sort of warranty themsleves (check there website for details.) Personally im considering talking to my workshop manager before i do anyhing with a what if questionaire. There are also guys that have gotten VW to get there chip for them :)

mikinoz
22-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Never fear.

It is only a failure due to a replaced/uprated component that they can contest. So if you have a swaybar and break a shock strut mount, they could argue it was because of the extra stiffness.

If you lose an indicator and you have suspension mods, well that is hardly going to prevent them doing a warranty...

All good IMHO.

FL00DY
22-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Yup as said, unless the service guys find something wrong with parts caused by a chip they wont bother to do anything.

As for Sway bars, coilovers or brakes again I can't see that these upgraded parts will cause any trouble. But as shaneth says, best check with your local service manager.

DaveMack
22-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll talk to the fella at Austral.

Dave