PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Dealer?

Stevemak
24-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey guys,

I am having some major issues with my dealer here in Sydney.

I put my order in on 21st May and was told delivery by end of september.
It's now 24th August and they still can't give me a VIN number. This doesn't sound right to me. Last week they said delivery early september.

I'm really pissed, they already screwed up my order. The day after I paid my deposit I went back to change the colour to non-metalic and add comfort pack which would keep the price the same.
This was never updated and silly me never asked for a new contract. So now I miss out on colour and comfort pack and still have no real idea when I get the car!!

Anyone have any advice?

Cheers

FJ Steve
25-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Speak to the Dealer Principal at the dealership, if the salesman is not helping.

Hail22
25-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I will take a poke in the dark but is it Barlow World? if so say no more...all i can say is some of the sales staff are very bad and have very poor rapport with customers.

Serge
25-08-2010, 09:18 AM
If there dealership can't provide you with VIN number that means that your car hasn't been build yet. If your car hasnt been build yet, that means that your car will not arrive till october november. What might have happened is that they forgot to change order to the spec you wanted and thats why your car is delayed.
Can you please advice me on what spec car you ordered and i can try to find if there is something else is coming soonish.

Stevemak
25-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I won't mention the dealer...not yet anyway. I would like to give them an opportunity to fix this before I slag them on here or warn other potential buyer's about them on other sites where there are Polo reviews.
The order that went through to the factory was for the following: Grey/TSI Manual/Alcantara/Audio/Sport Package PLUS dealer fitted Door Sill Alaminium protectors/Full bodykit. The Ipod cable was also going to be thrown in. I wanted the red with comfort as it would be same price.

To be honest after all this drama now I don't care about the red with comfort anymore - I am happy to take the grey without comfort now as I just want the car.I have been waiting for over 3 months patiently and I didn't shop around wasting anyone's time - starting to think I should have. I walked in with good intentions and placed my deposit on the same day and thsi is what I get. On top of this I recommended them to a friend who then walked in a few weeks later to buy a second hand Golf.

Serge, if I placed my order with this dealer in May I should have had the VIN by now, I am so pissed right now!

Serge
25-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Look, i understand you are pissed off and i think most of the people in this situation will be as well. What i would suggest is go to the dealer and ask to provide you with deatails on your ordered car. Most importantly try to be polite to the salesperson as it might not be his faults. there are a lot of people who's fault it could be.
Unfortunatelly due to the high demand in polos most of them have been sold out for the next couple of months and there is nothing we can do about it, a lot of people wait for 3-6months for their cars, but i can gurantee you its worth to wait.

Stevemak
25-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I will take a poke in the dark but is it Barlow World? if so say no more...all i can say is some of the sales staff are very bad and have very poor rapport with customers.

Hey mate, no it wasn't through Barloworld.

Hail22
25-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Glad to hear it wasn't had problems with them at Five Dock when my brother was buying his Golf Mk6 GTI, toyed with him saying oh its coming providing false hopes to which he pulled out and later got his VW from Denlo the week after he took his deposit back.

Roxy3107
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Your situation sounds pretty similar to mine. ..
I ordered my Polo (77TSI manual in 'silver' with audio upgraded to RCD510, and dealer-fit Bluetooth, tinted windows, carpet floor mats etc), on May 25th. I was quoted minimum 3 month wait, with a maximum 4 months.
The dealer rang me the other day to tell me that the latest ETA is now 28th of October (for arrival at the docks), so I won't get it until mid-November at the earliest. He was extremely apologetic and said unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. Apparently demand has been pretty intense, and it appears that the 6-month wait is common for a lot of people, and the dealers can't really do anything about it...

Casper
01-09-2010, 07:03 PM
and the dealers can't really do anything about it...

Yes they can - give buyers realistic timelines for delivery... Seems like it's common place for the salesman to make promises they can't keep, most likely to make sure they get the sale... I'm in the same boat - originally told it would be a maximum 2.5 month wait, and by the time I get my car it will have been 4.5 months (assuming no more delays!)... If I'd been told that information right from the start, I still would have ordered the car and waited as patiently as possible for it... Instead, I've found the whole process really frustrating and disappointing... I realise sometimes delays are unforseeable, but in sales you should always under-promise and over-deliver IMO... If I'd been told there was a 6 month wait and received it after 4.5 months, I would've been blown away! :)

Roxy3107
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah that's a good point! I would have much preferred to be over quoted than under. That being said, our dealer quoted our estimated delivery time from what I assume was the VW networked "system". I won't pretend to know exactly what it was, but it showed all the cars currently on order in Australia, and you could narrow down the search based on which state it was headed for, car model, options added and which dealership had ordered it. It also showed estimated delivery times for each car, and showed you a general "status" of the build process. Again, I only saw what he showed me so I suppose it's not impossible that it's really inaccurate, but that's where he was getting his info. At the time of ordering, the ETA for my Polo according to that system was late August. Disappointingly, it's now late October! I'm bracing myself for news of more delays...

Hail22
02-09-2010, 08:46 PM
This sucks hearing all of this, My car currently is at the Patrick holdings in Ingleburn going through customs etc, VAG needs to sort this out. It's understandable that these cars are not readily available in stock like Found On Rubbish Dumps or Holdens. But the way this is being handled from the corporate bodies down to the dealerships is nothing short of kinder garden quality.

Better to over quote the time like many of you have said and get surprised from an email/phone call informing you that your car has arrived earlier than expected (this boosts consumer confidence in the product, brand, and belief even though the dealers know it may arrive 2 weeks before the ETA of delivery)

dave_r
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
This sucks hearing all of this, My car currently is at the Patrick holdings in Ingleburn going through customs etc

I haven't heard from the dealer but they said to expect about 10 days from when it landed at the docks to it being ready for pickup. Hoping they are right and we can go pick it up late next week.

Cossor
03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I placed my order late May. Was told there would be around 12 weeks minimum. Have not heard anything yet.
HOWEVER, was given good trade in valuation, and still driving car specified for trade.
(Was requested "don't go for tour around Australia" but my average is less than 15K per annum)
Also, hoping that stock market recovers before car arrives.
SO, For some, a delivery delay CAN be a good thing :cool:

BR @ ON
05-09-2010, 01:29 AM
I have not received mine. As the car is supposedly coming September 4th with the shipment to Sydney. And the saleswoman told me it would normally take 3 weeks for me to get it. I think thats more realistic than the 10 days which was promised to someone posted earlier in this thread, especially if you have any dealer fittings. Good luck to myself, as I had to find a way to drive around in the mean time. I had already sold my car privately for an okay price.

Hail22
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
My car has passed 60% of its compliancey/customs period after i received an email from my dealership, so mostly like will get it monday week. :D

dave_r
05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
My car has passed 60% of its compliancey/customs period after i received an email from my dealership, so mostly like will get it monday week. :D

Mine docked a week ago, update yesterday was that it was "in transit" so I'd expect the dealer to have it tomorrow? If we're not driving it by week's end I'll be disappointed.

Stevemak
06-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Good to see that some dealers are at least in contact with their customers and giving them updates. I need to chase mine up for updates and then I still get a very general response! Starting to think it's time to cancel my order, buying a new car isn't suppose to be this much of a drama.

dave_r
06-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Good to see that some dealers are at least in contact with their customers and giving them updates. I need to chase mine up for updates and then I still get a very general response! Starting to think it's time to cancel my order, buying a new car isn't suppose to be this much of a drama.

Nah don't feel so bad, I've been ringing them. I just don't want to be contacted the day before saying come down. I need a few days to organise time off work and getting a bank cheque done.

Hail22
06-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I am very pleased with my dealer, he took the liberty to email me with a time stamp of 6:58am from his work email, so either he has good rapport with his clients or he just put a delayed mail send. lol

BR @ ON
07-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I guess he's got a blackberry...

Hail22
07-09-2010, 11:09 PM
nah he has an Iphail 3gs xD

QIK-R
08-09-2010, 09:27 AM
seeing all these mixed comments from everybody, very interesting to see. im a car salesman myself (although not for VW) and some of the negative stuff i try my hardest not to do. customer service is my number 1 priority. making sure the customer is happy, and the experience is not painful.

dave_r
08-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Got a call to say the car had arrived at the dealer today. So that is 1.5wks from when it arrived off the boat. ETA for pickup was Monday but I'm hoping Saturday is possible. They only need to clean it up and get the front windows tinted, so hopefully they don't have much other work on :)

FJ Steve
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Well done Dave.....take photos on the day, mate

Hail22
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Hope to have similar good news to share *crosses fingers* :D Congrats Dave lots of happy snaps :D

dave_r
08-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Will do fella's!

rageR
28-09-2010, 06:26 PM
I had a very bad similar experience myself, at Denlo.
Never again am i going there again.
Worst experience ever.

Stevemak
29-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi all,

My nightmare with the POLO and Barloworld Fivedock is over! I cancelled my order back in September after being told the car was delayed yet again. The interesting thing here is although I put my deposit down in May I didn't receive a factory order number until August so no chance I would have received the car until late November at the earliest, 7 months later!
Whether this was an error on the dealers part remains to be seen however the customer service delivery was shocking. When asked why I am not getting any updates I was told by the sales manager there " What's the point in calling you when I have no update". Even the female there that took my deposit originally tried to warn me that cancelling my order would result in a 5% cancelltion fee charged on the total amount. In the end I finally got my depsoit back but I will never go there again..

But it's not all bad news. I ended up purchasing an Black Golf 118TSI from Southern Classic Cars in wollongong which I picked up last week!!!!

Manual
Sports Packages - cloth
Sunroof
MDI + IPOD cable
Carpet Mats
RCD510 audio upgrade
$36,200

I ended up buying a set of 18inch Detroit "like" wheels from Tempe Tyres for a bargain as I had a contact that knew the guys there.

The dealer kept the stock wheel/tyres and I received the following in return:
# B Pillar Decorative Strip
# Rear Boot Trim, carbon Look
# Door Sill Protective Strip, 5 Door, Stainless Steel
# Touch Screen Cleaning Cloth
# Stainless Steel Pedal Set, Manual

I'm loving my drive! It's an awesome little car

BR @ ON
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Great to hear you got something you liked.

But, since we are on a Polo Forum Page, the Golf is not "THE small car", Polo is...

And how much you paid for the wheels? I am thinking a set of copper colour Lenso from Tempe to spice up my pearly black.

laurai
03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
That post really scared me Stevemak! I have a polo on order with them too. Paid my deposit 6 weeks ago on a car they already had on order and was told it would exit production last Friday to arrive in Sydney late November. I'm really scared because they just told 'the system says it doesn't have a chassis number'. If the car has exited the factory, it would have a chassis number. Do you think they have sold my ordered car to someone else and are just bluffing about it?

Hail22
03-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Laurai lets just say if they try to play around with you like Stevemak, and you want to get your deposit back please talk to Tony Grgic at Chatswood Classic Cars Volkswagen he is the Sales Manager i have bought my Polo and my Brothers Mk 6 GTI through him had nothing but fantastic service and very accurate information from him, he was courteous enough he sent an email within 4 days of putting my deposit down of the VIN/Chassis number.

Hope all works out

Also FYI ladies and gents, Inchcape automotive (Denlo Parramatta/Chatswood Classic Cars) Are fantastic with any issue, great with service bookings, so if your in Sydney and want to be looked after i have had nothing but joy with these two companies under the Inchcape umbrella :)

P.S Barlow world have very poor sales staff, very poor communication skills and half the salesmen/women at Five Dock can't answer a phone call properly let alone give you accurate/pleasurable service.

barrenjoey owl
03-11-2010, 03:52 PM
That post really scared me Stevemak! I have a polo on order with them too. Paid my deposit 6 weeks ago on a car they already had on order and was told it would exit production last Friday to arrive in Sydney late November. I'm really scared because they just told 'the system says it doesn't have a chassis number'. If the car has exited the factory, it would have a chassis number. Do you think they have sold my ordered car to someone else and are just bluffing about it?

A forum post makes you scared?..........there are a lot more things in the world to be scared about believe me....reading posts here isn't scarey.

laurai
04-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Well, as expected it wasn't good news. Apparently production has halted for no reason and I can now expect delivery on my car early Feb!!!

As for Chatswood, I agree that they are fantastic! They were the first dealer I went to but couldn't match the Five Dock price. I'll be heading out to get my deposit back on the weekend and will be shopping at Chatswood from now on.

triode12
04-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Well, as expected it wasn't good news. Apparently production has halted for no reason and I can now expect delivery on my car early Feb!!!

As for Chatswood, I agree that they are fantastic! They were the first dealer I went to but couldn't match the Five Dock price. I'll be heading out to get my deposit back on the weekend and will be shopping at Chatswood from now on.

I've had terrible service at CCC however but better service at Denlo (where I bought both my cars). CCC on the first occasion quoted a very high price on a GTI and the 2nd time, ****ed us around on a another car.

pologti18t
04-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I hate to say it but I had terrible service at CCC when I went to purchase my Polo GTI back in late 2005. Endless wait with no information... sound familiar ;)

Then I went through discountnewcars and got a car in a week from... five dock vw. Fantastic service from them.

So, you can't possibly base your shopping experience on the experience of someone else.

I really think that all these delays people are experiencing with deliveries of new Polos are due to the options being ordered (we know the upgraded audi cause delays but people still order it!), industrial action in SA and limited production allocation slots. Very few seem to be caused by actual dealer ordering mistakes.

Morale of the story. If you dont want to wait you have to make some compromises on the car spec and options you order. This means communicating with several dealers wirth what floor stock they have coming in. If they see you aren't willing to compromise on YOUR spec they will place the order regardless, take your deposit and you can wait.

Stevemak
04-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Sounds a little sus to me mate.
I was given all sorts of reasons such as "the VW system is down so we can't check the status" to "yes your car is on the way however we don't have a VIN for you yet".

Who was looking after you there? I hope it wasn't Margaret. She even had the nerve to say to me she has a good reputation and she is aware that I have been posting messages on this forum. I don't look my age and I suspect that she had taken my deposit thinking I'm young and niave with the intention of taking me off the market and then keeping my deposit as I had signed a contract.

Phone call after phone call in early september discussing the matter with the sales manager I finally cancelled my order and was given a refund.

There is something not right with that place. After I placed my initial order in May I recomended them to a work colleague who then purchased a second hand Golf from them. She too had some issues after she had picked up the car and nobody there would help or return her calls. She eventually gave up.

Hopefully you won't have the same experience I had.

Hail22
04-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I hate to say it but I had terrible service at CCC when I went to purchase my Polo GTI back in late 2005. Endless wait with no information... sound familiar ;)

they will place the order regardless, take your deposit and you can wait.

Is it me or are you trolling me?

I specifically said a member there who is the new head of Sales Managing (Tony Grgic), also the other poster Tony used to be at Denlo and was moved to CCC as the new head of sales.

I guess they don't get on well with people who love Meganes so much pologti ;) jk

pologti18t
04-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Is it me or are you trolling me?

I specifically said a member there who is the new head of Sales Managing (Tony Grgic), also the other poster Tony used to be at Denlo and was moved to CCC as the new head of sales.

I guess they don't get on well with people who love Meganes so much pologti ;) jk

Did you read my post? 2005.
What I was getting at is that you can't rely recommendations for dealership because of the high turnover of staff and who you deal with on the day.

Anyway, how long have you been on this forum? I remember the old days on here and VW Vortex when CCC was routinely rubbished. They may have changed their ways, but I haven't been getting any feedback from people who have actually bought from them that paints them as a fantastic dealership to deal with.

Hail22
04-11-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't know about the Dealership but knowing that Tony has taken charge of the sales staff there things will move forward, if not just speak to him have bought 2 cars from him (Mk 6 GTI and the polo) and can say nothing but good things about him.

The service crew however are awesome, scott walker gets the job done and i leave happy which matters.

only been here since August so i may be blind to the facts of what has been posted here in the past so apologies for assuming that CCC is without fault. :)

cm10
04-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, as expected it wasn't good news. Apparently production has halted for no reason and I can now expect delivery on my car early Feb!!!...

Hey Laurai, I'd be scared too! Had the same kind of delay. You can contact Volkswagen Australia direct if you are not confident you are getting a straight answer from the dealer. They are very helpful.

laurai
06-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Finally getting some answers, and yes, I did contact VW customer service directly. Car is now due pre-Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath. The soonest Barlo or any other dealer can get me a similar car (not white though) is mid December, so I figured it's worth waiting a bit longer for the car I want.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies and gave advice. It's always good to get opinions on people/dealers.