PDA

View Full Version : 2.0L to VR6

Whist
20-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey im new to this forum and i own a 1996 Golf 2.0L GL and was wondering if a VR6 motor would be terribly dificult to instal to my car. Has anyone done this swap? Are the engine mounts the same? Any other things I should know before getting to excited?

Any help would be great.

Golf Loon
20-04-2007, 06:11 PM
You need a lot of parts. Subframes, Wishbones, Brakes, ABS, Engine, Gearbox, Clutch Pedal Assy, Cable Shift Gearbox, Instruments and Loom.
It can be done, but its a lot of work and its probably financially better to sell your car and buy a VR6. Dont even entertain the idea unless you have a wrecked VR6 parked next to your car.

GoLfMan
20-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Loon posted at the same time with better info... so Welcome :D

bsting
20-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Never build a car that you can buy ;)

phaeton
20-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Welcome Whist :D

Valver.
20-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Never build a car that you can buy ;)

Agreed. Unless he's spent a lot on worthwhile mods on the current car (susp., brakes, etc.). VR6s are very good value to buy now anyway :)

Whist
20-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Oh ok, I was under the impression that they are quite rare to find. Ive only had my 2L for about a year now and just cant seem to find the engine upgrades im after, so I thought why not just upgrade the engine, but if its going to be easier to get a whole new car for the same price as the one i have, I might look on doing a swap sometime in the future, not just yet though. thanks for your help.

Valver.
21-04-2007, 07:43 AM
It won't be the same price by any means, but a lot cheaper than an engine, brake and suspension conversion!!

gotrice
21-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey there dude, if you want more go (I would love a VR6 just for the zorst note!!!) then strap on a turbo and go from there. It will leave you with a better handling car coz of the lower weight of the 2L over the VR6 and with more power as well as good fuel economy. Just my 5 cents worth. Good luck with whatever you do though.
Tim

Whist
21-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes, thats the future plan as well, its in the pipe line. Only problem is Im 18 years old and have been caught with the P plate non turbo restrictions. I think I'll just concerntrate on upgrading my current engine and get it ready for a turbo when Im off my P's. I've been looking at 16v conversion kits but they are in the uk so I'm not sure if I would have much trouble getting it here or not. Any other suggestions? or should I start a different thread in a different part of the forum, I'm kinda new to all this stuff. Thanks for your advice so far guys, when I first bought my car I was worried that I wouldnt be able to find many people who were interested in VW's and would have trouble finding help but you guys have shown me there are others like me out there :D

Valver.
21-04-2007, 04:30 PM
To be completely honest, 16vs are crap in anything but Mk1s and light Mk2s. I think you really need a VR6 or something turbo in a Mk3, but that's just my 2c. Much the same as the Ibiza 16v - not enough torque to lug it around.

I would save up some money and be patient for a nice, manual VR6 to pop up if it was me :)

GoLfMan
21-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Yes, thats the future plan as well, its in the pipe line. Only problem is Im 18 years old and have been caught with the P plate non turbo restrictions. I think I'll just concerntrate on upgrading my current engine and get it ready for a turbo when Im off my P's. I've been looking at 16v conversion kits but they are in the uk so I'm not sure if I would have much trouble getting it here or not. Any other suggestions? or should I start a different thread in a different part of the forum, I'm kinda new to all this stuff. Thanks for your advice so far guys, when I first bought my car I was worried that I wouldnt be able to find many people who were interested in VW's and would have trouble finding help but you guys have shown me there are others like me out there :D

golf3 on this forum did a 2L 16v conversion on his 8v mk3 :) he has a wealth of realistic knowledge of what it takes to complete a conversion...
goes pretty good ;) and ohh that scream!

gldgti
23-04-2007, 06:38 PM
golf loon on here may be able to aid you in getting hold of stuff from the UK.

WABIT
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
golf3 on this forum did a 2L 16v conversion on his 8v mk3 :) he has a wealth of realistic knowledge of what it takes to complete a conversion...
goes pretty good ;) and ohh that scream!

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm yes............. that scream *drools*

wabit

GermanwithaVdub
15-06-2007, 11:51 AM
sounds like your serious about it. i'm going along the same path as you (and have the same annoying p plate restrictions) except im going to put a vr6 into an mk2. much lighter which means much faster. you can basically directly swap all the parts.

Spyda
16-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Cant he just do a half cut like the japs do?

8v turbo is about 250hp yeah?

Whist
16-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Somehow I think I might have a bit of trouble finiding a half cut VR6 unless someone knows something I dont. I think I might just improve the current motor and other stuff, maybe drop one in at a later stage. Im looking at upgrading the brakes first as they are somewhat... weak, I was thinking of putting on VR6 or GTI hubs and brakes.

peedman
16-06-2007, 02:36 PM
You wont find a half cut for a vr6, i assume that most people either source an engine + gearbox locally or buy an insurance wreck.

Whist
16-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah, that what i thought, Ill just keep my eyes open on ebay and in wreakers and see what comes up, Ill be looking around for hubs and brakes anyway so you never know, I might even just end up sticking to the 2L, like some of you guys said, why build a car you can buy.

wayz
05-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Hey there dude, if you want more go (I would love a VR6 just for the zorst note!!!) then strap on a turbo and go from there. It will leave you with a better handling car coz of the lower weight of the 2L over the VR6 and with more power as well as good fuel economy. Just my 5 cents worth. Good luck with whatever you do though.
Tim

Is there a bolt on turbo kit for the MK3 golf?

gpk_gti
05-07-2007, 08:08 AM
guys,,,,years ago when I was more interested in the vr6 scene,I met a guy in melb that was importing whole mk3 vr6's from japan for wrecking for about $6k,that was when the cheapest vr6 you could buy was over $20k!he was chopping them up here. dont know if he is still importing them and I dont remember his name.aussie guy with blondish hair ,about early 40's age.
has anyone tried the wreckers finder www.partslocator.com.au ???
try this guy as well,he wrecks heaps of vdubs http://myworld.ebay.com.au/kmj32794101/