PDA

View Full Version : immobiliser or battery?

sim2002
19-04-2007, 09:25 AM
hey everyone,

got into my car this morning (bora V6) go to start and nothing! the car is flat as a tack try turn again then clock clears to O:00 - furthermore a ticking noise?? starts behind the dash continue try to start a nothing, no kick over or anything. then go to lock car and the locks in the doors start palying up ie.only couple doors would lock and so it goes on - there was no problem what so ever before and i do drive car everday so battery gets charged.

my question is the battery or the immobiliser??
if it was battery shouldnt it try to kick engine over? considering it was perfectly fine before? (no car lights were left on during night) i havent accessed the battery yet.

if anyone can help?? thanks

BlackVr6ix
19-04-2007, 09:33 AM
how old is the battery?

it is possible that a cell has failed completely during your last drive or possibly during the night which will give you a very dead battery.

the clicking you hear will be the solenoid engaging and disengaging.

the couple of doors locking is due to the vacuum style central locking VW uses obviously there is only enough vacuum created to lock a couple of doors.

dancet
19-04-2007, 10:04 AM
A few weeks after I got my GTi I started my car and was reversing our of my parking spot at my unit complex. I managed to stall it as I was driving down the driveway. No bother, turned the ignition all the way off, then tried to start it again but it was completely dead. All my electrics were still working fine, and the clock still had the right time. No engine turning over, no clicking, just total silence when turning on the ignition.

It turned out to be the wires connecting the battery to the starter motor. The mechanic said it looked like they were chewed through by a rat or something. Apparently they like the warmth of the engine and climb up into the engine cavity and start chewing on stuff. I think the previous owners may have had a rat problem, and stalling the car jolted the chewed wire and caused it to break (I have since put rat baits in my garage...no sign of any rodents).

So......if you can hear clicking when turning on the ignition and your clock has zero'd, it probably indicates your starter motor is OK but battery is kaput. See if you can push start it and get some charge into the battery. Or maybe just push start it and drive to the nearest battery place.

Though I don't know if driving a car with a dead battery is harmful for the car. Anyone?

sim2002
19-04-2007, 11:12 AM
thanks guys!
i will check for any rats (i do leave car on street)and any chewed wires!

but i guess its the battery then - is there any tricks in changing the battery to a new one i should know about in addition to the cars instruction manual?
thanks

quozl
19-04-2007, 11:39 AM
thanks guys!
i will check for any rats (i do leave car on street)and any chewed wires!

but i guess its the battery then - is there any tricks in changing the battery to a new one i should know about in addition to the cars instruction manual?
thanks

The easiest thing to do is just call Marshall. Mine went in the R and they were here within 30 minutes and did all the work for around 100 bucks if I remember correctly.

Cheers Al