PDA

View Full Version : Best coolant?

T4er
18-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi all. what would be the best coolant to run in a 2L petrol t4 & while your at it can you recomend a decent oil ( note high Klm engine but very sweet);)

jets
18-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Coolant question is easy, VWG12. It may cost a little more but using a good coolant is important. You don't say what year your van is but if it is around pre '96 it would have been G11[green] G12 can be used in these cars as long as the original coolant is thoroughly drained & flushed. DO NOT mix the 2.
2nd question is harder. Everyone has an opinion on thier favourite brand but as long as the spec. & grade complies with your handbook or sticker in engine bay you should be right & stick with your decision[don't try other brands each oil change]
Depending on oil consumption you may need to use a higher viscosity oil.

T4er
19-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Thanx for response, jets. my van is a 1999 model. So there is nothing aftermarket or will I have to get it through VW?

Seano
19-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Both coolant and oil are available on the aftermarket. For your engine, I think you'll need G11 coolant which is the normal green stuff you see everywhere. The later VW engines use G12 which is orange and has only just become easy to find at your local parts shop....

As for oil, there is an oil finder on virtually every oil company website - BP, Caltex, Shell, Castrol, Valvoline etc etc etc......just go through them until you find your motor and pick whatever is recommended in whatever brand you favour.

BlackVr6ix
19-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Try the Nulon long life coolant. They guarantee that it will not mix badly with ANY other coolants.

I always use penrite oils myself but obviously go for the best quality oil you can afford.

T4er
20-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanx for excelent feedback guys. Will do

WEDEL.1
22-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Hallo,

I also have a 2 Litre & only use VW coolant. It still has the G11, but I will change this to the G11-12 substitute as in our Golf supplied by the Volksfactory.

I use Shell "full Synthetic" engine oil with Nulon added every 80,000km.

The gear box also has nulon gear oil.

140,000km & no problems.

Maris