PDA

View Full Version : First gear noises

T4er
18-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi,All I am now the proud owner of an excelent 99 model t4 never driven a van like it. I am now converted.However I seem to have a problem with the gearbox In first gear it makes a strange sound like as if a sproket is rubbing on something or buggered syncro. The slower i go the worse it sounds once you pick up speed it kind of fades every other gear is great.I may need a replacement box?I also need a good drivers seat? anyone?:D

brackie
18-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Firstly, welcome! :) Seems like you love your van. Petrol or diesel?

Hi,All I am now the proud owner of an excelent 99 model t4 never driven a van like it. I am now converted.However I seem to have a problem with the gearbox In first gear it makes a strange sound like as if a sproket is rubbing on something or buggered syncro.

Firstly check the oil level in the gearbox. Then the mounts because when under torque in 1st the whole drive unit may be moving. I seem to remember this occurring with another forum member so it may be worth doing a search to read the story ;) Of they're OK check the drive shafts for rubbing as they are under the most strain pulling away in a low gear. I reckon if you had internal gearbox problems the signs would be much worse.

The slower i go the worse it sounds once you pick up speed it kind of fades every other gear is great.

So is it doing it on deceleration to? Now I'm confused. :???:

I may need a replacement box?

That's the last and most expensive resort (although rebuilding your present one could be dearer!)

I also need a good drivers seat? anyone?:D

T4er
18-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I'll go throug & do relevent checks,when I say the slower I go the worse it sounds I mean as I pick up speed & increase torque In first gear,the noise gets noticeably quieter.However thanx for the reply

phaeton
18-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Welcome T4er :D

Quick Q - how did you find this forum ?

brackie
19-04-2007, 06:57 AM
I'll go throug & do relevent checks,when I say the slower I go the worse it sounds I mean as I pick up speed & increase torque In first gear,the noise gets noticeably quieter.However thanx for the reply
It's very difficult to diagnose problem noises over the internet. Best bet is to go to a recognised VW workshop and let someone experienced listen to it. Where are you? If you post your location we may be able to help.

T4er
20-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Bumped into it

T4er
20-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I am in Shellharbour south of the gong

WEDEL.1
22-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Check the gearbox level, top up with the appropriate oil, it is full synthetic.

Try some Nulon gear oil also, as I use in mine, it does make a difference.

Maris