PDA

View Full Version : reverse to 1st

poloplayer
17-04-2007, 07:49 PM
When you guys change gears from reverse to first, do you keep pushing down, move it back to the middle, release back up, and then push it to first? Or do you just slide it straight to first?

SoVeReIgN
17-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Pull towards 2nd until it goes down enough to slip out of reverse and just flip it across. Feels like a natural motion to me!

Didnt think there was much else to it ? :???:

Glide_GTI
17-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Pull towards 2nd until it goes down enough to slip out of reverse and just flip it across. Feels like a natural motion to me!

Didnt think there was much else to it ? :???:

what he said

shaneth
17-04-2007, 10:24 PM
yep i concur

poloplayer
17-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Ah awesome, i asked because ive never driven a car where I had to push down for reverse :rolleyes:

dodgey GTI
18-04-2007, 09:53 AM
My wife had an original '63 VW Beetle and even that had the same "push" to reverse trick! VW were on to a good thing back then so they never changed it. Wish I could get a DSG though. Have had MkV GTi Golfs as company cars and fell in love with the DSG. Silly Porsche for shelving the idea so close to completion, made the parent company's job easy!

Still, I admit manual for REAL driver's though. Poloplayer, follow your instinct, I had the same problem double clutching 1st to 2nd while gunning it,but you learn all the idiosynchroses of the car quickly and yes, they are rather forgiving. Enjoy!

SoVeReIgN
18-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I had the same problem double clutching 1st to 2nd while gunning it

Why would you do this :?

Wand Weaver
18-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Still, I admit manual for REAL driver's though. Poloplayer, follow your instinct, I had the same problem double clutching 1st to 2nd while gunning it

Why exactly would you double-clutch on an upshift? I can't see the logic behind the practice. Given that you're moving to a longer ratio - you should inherently be matching revs and gearbox speed anyway as long as you don't spend too long between gears.

dodgey GTI
18-04-2007, 01:42 PM
That i suppose is my problem, had the same thing with the s2000. Need to double clutch so it doesn't grab. It keeps grinding gears if I am too slow in getting it into 2nd. Engine speed is obviously coming down below wheel speed and therefore grinding.
What should I be doing instead?

Wand Weaver
18-04-2007, 08:01 PM
It keeps grinding gears if I am too slow in getting it into 2nd. Engine speed is obviously coming down below wheel speed and therefore grinding.
What should I be doing instead?

Whoa - I've never actually had that problem before - and worst case scenario, the synchromesh should certainly be taking care of that. Is this happening every time?

Are you putting the clutch all the way down? I've noticed in some cars - you can change gears without crunching or causing damage without putting the clutch ALL the way down (since the friction point is much higher up) - not so in the Polo.

I can't see anything that I do on upshifts that most people wouldn't do driving a manual. Stick clutch in, shift lever, slip clutch on the way out...

mdonohoe
18-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Gonna be serious here.

Either you got a r**ted gearbox with a wild bore inside or you need to learn how to drive a manual better.

I've driven manuals that are anywhere upto 22years old, the only one thats EVER done this was a 1983 Diahatsu Charade with a 5spd manual & stuffed gearbox and even then it only did it sometimes.

Matt

Wand Weaver
18-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Either you got a r**ted gearbox

Not out of the question, mind you. I've had a chat to another owner who's ended up with a 'box full of neutrals in his Polo.

If your car's throwing itself out of gear - you've got the same problem he did - get it looked at by VW...fast. His Polo went to VW on the back of a truck.

dodgeGTI
19-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I MUST double clutch my s2000 from 1st to 2nd if I'm nailling it or the I'll crunch the box, no question. Driving at slower speed it's fine but if I push it into VTEC, I've gotta do it.. it's not required for any other gear change.

SoVeReIgN
19-04-2007, 10:36 AM
I MUST double clutch my s2000 from 1st to 2nd if I'm nailling it or the I'll crunch the box, no question. Driving at slower speed it's fine but if I push it into VTEC, I've gotta do it.. it's not required for any other gear change.

You definently dont need to do this in a standard box. I've driven a s2000 and it didn't crunch even when pushing close to 9000rpm.

I really don't know how you would be driving to manage to get it to crunch. Not having the clutch in all the way??

It would be interesting to watch you drive - If I were you i'd check out a few youtube vids or jump in a car with someone driving at speed and see if they are doing things any differently.

Either the box is rooted or The box has ****ed\no synchros and you are shifting slow or you aren't pushing the clutch in the whole way. Thats all the possiblities I've got ???

My old car did this abit after the synchros on 2nd and 3rd wore out totally (180,000kms), but would only do it when shifting at speed. I remember once I shifted and crunched after it was sitting in 2nd. My heart stopped. Box seemed fine, but I got rid of the car shortly after (Suggesting to the next buyer they replace the synchros!)

dodgey GTI
19-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I know it's me, I tried just concerntrating on the sequence, Clutch, shift, release and it was better when I was actually conscious of what I was doing. But, feathering the the throttle mid change to keep the revs up certaily helped.

Cheers for all your help guys!

dodgey GTI
20-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Just a quick note to say thanks to all on this one. I now officially have no problems driving stick!

Wand Weaver
21-04-2007, 10:19 AM
But, feathering the the throttle mid change to keep the revs up certaily helped.

Cheers for all your help guys!

Everyone's got a slightly different driving style - I personally tend to stick the clutch in a small fraction of a second before I back off the throttle, which causes the revs to rise about 200-300rpm before I change gears.

My parents, on the other hand, take a LONG time between gears, in which case the revs drop substantially between gears. Either way, the 'box isn't crunching.

Neither of us crunch the gears - so I guess it's a matter of "whatever works" :) Glad you've figured it out.

VEEDUB69
01-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Double-clutching is for cars with no syncro its from the dark ages, no need to do this on a modern vehicle :?