PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt change on MK2 8V

aussieg60
12-12-2005, 07:09 PM
I want to change the cam belt on my MK2 8v, do I need to take the main crank drive pulley off ? If so how do I undo the bolts as the pulley rotates?

Golfwise
12-12-2005, 09:48 PM
No one should attempt such an important proceedure if they don't know what to do.I advise anyone who wants to do their own maintenance to purchase a workshop manual.

Golfwise
12-12-2005, 09:51 PM
re the pulley
Put the car in gear :oops:

aussieg60
13-12-2005, 03:51 AM
I have the workshop manual, engine is out of the car.

Golfwise
13-12-2005, 01:20 PM
If the flywheel is on try a large screwdriver or similar in the ring gear and another through the starter bolt hole and with the third arm undo the pulley.if you get what I mean.

EndlessMKI
13-12-2005, 02:46 PM
I want to change the cam belt on my MK2 8v, do I need to take the main crank drive pulley off ? If so how do I undo the bolts as the pulley rotates?

hahahha his asking a simple questions and ppl aren't being very helpful.

It all depends is the answer. If your main crank pulley has the dam plastic lower cam belt cover then yes you need to take off the lower crank pulley.

if it doesn't then it's sweet and easy.

If it's an unmolested MKII then im quiet sure you have the lower timing belt cover and it will be a pain.

Golf Loon
13-12-2005, 03:54 PM
You just have to undo the 4 hex bolts and pull the pulley off. Jam a screwdriver throught the top pulley and get a long bar with a hex screw on the end for the pulley bolts and crack em all off. You dont need to undo the big bolt on the bottom end, as the pulley lifts over the top of it.
Good Luck.

aussieg60
14-12-2005, 03:54 AM
I find all the information useful, cheers and thanks to all. I will give it a go before the engine goes in!

EndlessMKI
14-12-2005, 07:58 AM
I find all the information useful, cheers and thanks to all. I will give it a go before the engine goes in!

will be very easy with engine out of car.........

try your best to mark things out so it goes back on as like before.