PDA

View Full Version : APR tune

WHTPOLOGTI
17-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Anybody had any experience with VolksPower in Melbourne here? im thinking of getting my polo chipped there. Who can i speak to? Any recommendations of where to take my car to in south-east suburbs to get it APRed would be helpful.

shaneth
17-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Welcome mate to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay. I live in brisbane so i cant really say anything in regards to melbourne but im sure someone will be along soon who can help.

brackie
17-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Good to have another addition to our (now) large Polo contingient! Great car :)
I'm sure that someone will be able to help you "in a Flash" :rolleyes: )

gtimk5
17-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi Wht, welcome to the forum. Its a friendly and helpful place to be. Hope you enjoy it.:)
Dean at Volkspower is ok to deal with and will look after you and more importantly, your Polo. You wont regret the flash. Guarranteed!
Cheers, Andrew :)

Jin
17-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Yep, I agree with gtimk5 about Dean at Volkspower. I had my polo flashed about 3 weeks ago and Im still amazed at the difference it has made. No regrets here! :)

DubSteve
17-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Welcome to both Jin and White. Here you have already some feedback of the place that you wanted. In a flash literally lol.

FL00DY
17-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Can I ask, have you looked into GIAC? Most people find it cheaper and it makes the same power :cool:

Timbo
17-04-2007, 09:46 AM
And you might want to look at Revo-technik, too. Offers a range of options. I'm happy with mine

Bug_racer
17-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Can I ask, have you looked into GIAC? Most people find it cheaper and it makes the same power :cool:

More power :)

FL00DY
17-04-2007, 11:57 AM
More power :)

Oops sorry Seb. Cheaper, more power. GIAC FTW! Seb I couldn't find the details for Lucas, otherwise I would have posted that.

WHTPOLOGTI
17-04-2007, 12:07 PM
thanks for all the advice guys. I Havnt looked at the GIAC or Revo-technik yet. How much cheaper would these options be? The APR is around $1750 with two programs. Its a lot of money. ill have to wait a while and try to save some money before i will go ahead with it.

gtimk5
17-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Who does Revo and GIAC in Melbourne? Can we have some dealer names for them, out of interest?
thanks, Andrew:)

beefa
17-04-2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.revotechnik.com.au/ecu_performance_tuning/revo_dyno_charts.html

Revo chip flash is $1200. Waiting price for their "Select" thingy which allows to switch between programs.

dodgeGTI
17-04-2007, 12:18 PM
it would be great if someone in the know could post an unbiased comparison on some of the available options.

Cost Vs Performance Gains Vs Warranty etc

DubSteve
17-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Chipping is great if you want to exploit as much as possible out of your engine and I'm sure that you will be glad whoever you do it with.

If it brings up any type of Chip Wars its going to get binned!

Bug_racer
17-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Giac :

http://www.giacusa.com/dealers.php?sregion=Victoria&dealer_name=

gtimk5
17-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for posting that bugracer. Now the Vic blokes know of where to get their cars GIACed if they decide to go that way.
Andrew :)

gtiono
20-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Who does Revo and GIAC in Melbourne? Can we have some dealer names for them, out of interest?
thanks, Andrew:)

Audvolks.com.au in Clayton does Revo down in melbourne. (info taken from the revotechnik.com.au website)

gtiono
20-04-2007, 11:44 AM
it would be great if someone in the know could post an unbiased comparison on some of the available options.

Cost Vs Performance Gains Vs Warranty etc

It's hard to be unbias when you really think about it. We gotta be passionate about something right? :-)

I'm no expert, just a new performance enthusiast, but I have read my fair share of forum topics on chipping/flashing. If you want to find a good write-up on any particular brand over the other you will find it eventually.

What I found through the message boards was that the differences amongst the leading brands (APR, GIAC, REVO) are marginal. The most important factor is dealer knowledge and support followed by pricing.

For me personally, I am still trying to get over my fear of any after market modifications made to my beloved stock MIV (flash, exhausts, intercoolers etc). I have driven one flashed car and looking forward to experience another chipped vehicle shortly (both different chipped brands, same vehicle model). I would most likely end up with one that allows me to switch back to stock from time to time.

The first step is always the hardest.

dodgey GTI
20-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Dane at Camberwell VW, suggested I also see Dean @ VolksPower and said that's where they refer their clients for mods. I haven't spoken to him yet, but I did speak to Lance who used to work at Powerchip and he advised that APR has good flexibility with the Program Toggle switch. He warned that their FREE TRIAL for a couple of hours should be avoided as it is rumoured that they will detune after removal to show a bigger gap between their chip and stock settings. Don't know if I believe that one though, has anyone heard the same thing?

Can't wait to get my chip but I have only done 956kms to date and have been advised by Lance (ex-PowerChip)to wait until about 1,500kms at least so my baby has been bedded in properly.

DubSteve
20-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Can't wait to get my chip but I have only done 956kms to date and have been advised by Lance (ex-PowerChip)to wait until about 1,500kms at least so my baby has been bedded in properly.

Hehe trip to Sydney will sought that out, or leave the car on the dyno for a few hours to clock up some kms;)

gtiono
20-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Dodgey GTI, why don't you take it for a drive to sydney, that should bring the odometer up to speed :-)

In clothing retail training, you are taught to get the prospect to try the clothes on because statistically, when they try it on, they would much, much more likely want to buy it.

I would give APR the benefit of the doubt and presume that unichip doesn't want to lose sales to a competitor. This to me is more believable than the claims made against APR.

The only chipped vendors I know that have trials are APR and REVO.

Welcome to the forum!

Dane at Camberwell VW, suggested I also see Dean @ VolksPower and said that's where they refer their clients for mods. I haven't spoken to him yet, but I did speak to Lance who used to work at Powerchip and he advised that APR has good flexibility with the Program Toggle switch. He warned that their FREE TRIAL for a couple of hours should be avoided as it is rumoured that they will detune after removal to show a bigger gap between their chip and stock settings. Don't know if I believe that one though, has anyone heard the same thing?

shaneth
20-04-2007, 02:47 PM
dodgey GTi - Well i have had my car for 5 months now i think within the first 2 months i had the trial from APR (which was great imho) but because of some issues i havent been able to ppurchase a chip as yet. (hopefully real soon) But i went to the drags after the trial had expired, i still pulled a 15.8 and was disappointed with what i did as i knew it had more. As motor has the Polo GTI quoted at 15.8 i cant see how they have detuned it. Just my thoughts anyway. Before i get my chip done ill get my car dynoed so it will prove or disprove what i say.

dodgeGTI
20-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Dodgey GTI, why don't you take it for a drive to sydney, that should bring the odometer up to speed :-)

In clothing retail training, you are taught to get the prospect to try the clothes on because statistically, when they try it on, they would much, much more likely want to buy it.

I would give APR the benefit of the doubt and presume that unichip doesn't want to lose sales to a competitor. This to me is more believable than the claims made against APR.

The only chipped vendors I know that have trials are APR and REVO.

dodgey GTi - Well i have had my car for 5 months now i think within the first 2 months i had the trial from APR (which was great imho) but because of some issues i havent been able to ppurchase a chip as yet. (hopefully real soon) But i went to the drags after the trial had expired, i still pulled a 15.8 and was disappointed with what i did as i knew it had more. As motor has the Polo GTI quoted at 15.8 i cant see how they have detuned it. Just my thoughts anyway. Before i get my chip done ill get my car dynoed so it will prove or disprove what i say.

Sounds like the de-tune post trial was only a whisper... awesome. That's for sharing fellas

shaneth
20-04-2007, 03:20 PM
No worries ;) thats what forums are for :)

Flaps
20-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Stock is just not as good as compared to chipped.

dodgey GTI
20-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Sounds good all! Thanks for the heads up and look forward to seeing your Dyno results Shaneth!

Why does everyone want me to drive to Sydney? Maybe we should organise a VWWatercooled Drive Day or Show and Shine???

Hopefully this weekend I will have my first run up through the hills near me (notice I didn't say where). I won't post how it went as I saw what happened to the last bloke that did......Just kidding Brackie!LOL

dodgeGTI
20-04-2007, 04:17 PM
... and I'm legally constrained to say nothing more on the subject - especially in a public forum.

Dave

Leave us hanging why don't ya :(

dodgey GTI
20-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Yeah! What's that all about? Know I have to know, can you PM us individually? We promise we won't tell

gpk_gti
20-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Hopefully this weekend I will have my first run up through the hills near me (notice I didn't say where). I won't post how it went as I saw what happened to the last bloke that did......Just kidding Brackie!LOL

dont want to bring up anything bad but,its ok to read about a run in a aust motoring mag which costs $10+ but in a free forum,its frowned upon.all this because of some silly members.
ps.not talking about you brackie
love your posts dodgey GTI,keep it up!!:)

WHTPOLOGTI
20-04-2007, 11:48 PM
"Revo chip flash is $1200. Waiting price for their "Select" thingy which allows to switch between programs."

Does anybody know when REVO will release this? Think i might go with REVO since its much cheaper than APR option as well as having that switch similar to APR

Thanks for all the helpful posts guys. :)

gtiono
21-04-2007, 12:14 AM
dont want to bring up anything bad but,its ok to read about a run in a aust motoring mag which costs $10+ but in a free forum,its frowned upon.all this because of some silly members.
ps.not talking about you brackie
love your posts dodgey GTI,keep it up!!:)

Can a senior member or moderator summarise the forum posting rules (a few bullet points perhaps) . I'm new and don't want to be kicked out just yet, its fun in here.

gtiono
21-04-2007, 12:19 AM
sorry, i found the rules on the front page ..... duh.

shaneth
21-04-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm new and don't want to be kicked out just yet, its fun in here.

Mate i wouldnt be worried about that, its pretty hard to be banned on this forum. Enjoy your stay, Its great fun on this forum;) .

gpk_gti
21-04-2007, 07:57 AM
relax mate!! we all help each other here before it gets to gettn kicked off or banned.unfortunately you picked the wrong topic to jump into;) (chips)hehe:D
welcome and hope you loose that fear in doing your mods sooooon!!

gtiono
22-04-2007, 06:09 PM
"Revo chip flash is $1200. Waiting price for their "Select" thingy which allows to switch between programs."

Does anybody know when REVO will release this? Think i might go with REVO since its much cheaper than APR option as well as having that switch similar to APR

Thanks for all the helpful posts guys. :)

Unfortunately, Revo have phased out there SPS switches and you can no longer purchase this brand new. Their new Select switches only works with 2.0 FSI engine types. It goes for $399 ex

They had a VW National special the other week, offering free Select switches for each flash purchased at the show directly.

gtiono
22-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Actually I was just curious with one of the previous post which seemed to insinuate that it was easy to get banned ... (it didn't help that I one of the first threads I saw had "banned" next to a member (former) name.

There's no mention of nudity or Hot chicks next to hot cars? Is that allowable you reckon? (I suppose it doesn't do us any favours if we want more female on the forum)

relax mate!! we all help each other here before it gets to gettn kicked off or banned.unfortunately you picked the wrong topic to jump into;) (chips)hehe:D
welcome and hope you loose that fear in doing your mods sooooon!!

Timbo
22-04-2007, 06:49 PM
He warned that their FREE TRIAL for a couple of hours should be avoided as it is rumoured that they will detune after removal to show a bigger gap between their chip and stock settings.
I think this is basically BS. The ECU is a 'learning' type and, one suspects, may take a little while to 'unlearn' the trial.

FL00DY
22-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I think this is basically BS. The ECU is a 'learning' type and, one suspects, may take a little while to 'unlearn' the trial.

Yeh good point Tim, this is possible. Just ask Tiny bout his MKV GTI, it gained over 20kw between first and last Dyno run after being chipped with GIAC only 4 or so hours before.