PDA

View Full Version : How you polish alloy components?

mikinoz
16-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Any one experienced with polishing alloy engine components so that they shine?

I have not done this before, but I am assuming it involves a buffing wheel... :?

Any people have the skillz?

gpk_gti
16-04-2007, 07:03 PM
hey mate,
try using different grades of sand paper.obviously rough to fine.and depends on what you are thinking about polishing.maybe you need to use something like a dremel to get into all those really tough areas.then when you get through the papers(the finer then obviously the easier the polishing will be) then if its fine enough you may be able to get away with a metal polish like the one that comes in the tooth paste tube or more abrasive,gumption.if you have to use a electric motor with a jewellers buff wheel on it ,it can become dangerous if you are not experienced and its extremely hard to use on big things.

tell me what you are thinking of polishing!!

rayray086
16-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Like George said, use different grits of sandpaper, and gradually work your way up. It's important to take it up slowly and not rush as you'd want the finished product to look level and smooth. I've heard of people taking it up from 500 grit to 2000 grit. Wet-sanding will help achieve a smoother finish. I've never done this myself before though, but they were the common tips presented whenever the subject of polishing parts came up.

If done correctly, it'll look schmick!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/04/017-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/04/001-2.jpg

mikinoz
16-04-2007, 09:54 PM
tell me what you are thinking of polishing!!

Engine components, but these questions are more out of interest at the moment. :rolleyes:

16v80
16-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi

Ive done this before, but bewarned its very time consuming,
I hand polished my 16" Momo rims, I started with 240 grit and worked up to 2000 grit, (i wet sanded) then polished with autosol, I would say it took approx 20hours per rim.and
every time they get wet i have to repolish them

Engine components are tricky, I polished my cam cover, alternator, oil filter housing, 16v dizzy, (you will need a dremal or similar) but it was such a pain to keep them clean/shiny i ended up painting them silver,

Looking at those pics i would say those vr6 parts are chromed, the strutbrace in the top pic looks polished

rayray086
16-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Ive done this before, but bewarned its very time consuming,
I hand polished my 16" Momo rims, I started with 240 grit and worked up to 2000 grit, (i wet sanded) then polished with autosol, I would say it took approx 20hours per rim.and
every time they get wet i have to repolish them

Wow! Got pics??