PDA

View Full Version : Oils aint oils

Bubu
23-12-2008, 10:50 PM
The oil the dealers use is Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow. It retails for around $80 if you can still find it. My local VW dealer had it in their spare parts store and I bought it from there once but last time I was there they didnt have any so they recommended I use Castrol Sport Edge 5- 30w which I have been using ever since.

I know they use this oil because it said so on the receipt when I got my car serviced. The dealer charge around $100 in their service for the oil.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/12/CASTROLSLX-1.jpg

Transporter
25-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Or yu can go to a Nissan dealer and ask for oil for 2.5L TDi Navara Automatic with DPF and they should give you Shell Helix with VW507.00 Specs. Check the label on the back of the container before you buy it.:)
I was quoted $70.00 inc.GST 2days ago.

rory
27-07-2010, 11:46 PM
We later model VW owners know that. How about diesel ? Big fuel suppliers like BP and Caltex(talking Australia here) boast low levels of sulphur in their diesel fuel.
Is there an Australian standard for max level of sulphur in Diesel? Are the "boasts" of oilcompanies just that? Boasts? Or are they supplying fuels with less sulphur than they are allowed to?
So if I pull in at the Independent servo selling "cheap" ; am I likely to be buying diesel at the bottom level of sulphur content compliance?
Sulphur is bad for the environment creating more noxious air into the environment ???, acidifying engine oil (badder for engines?) and increasing the pressure on my DPF to do its work?? (also badder for the DPF???)
Any comments? please? Rory.

Diesel_vert
28-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Is there an Australian standard for max level of sulphur in Diesel?

Yes, see Diesel Fuel Quality Standard (http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/standards/diesel/index.html).

So if I pull in at the Independent servo selling "cheap" ; am I likely to be buying diesel at the bottom level of sulphur content compliance?

No. From 01/01/2009, automotive diesel in Australia must be at a "Euro 5" standard (10ppm sulphur) which is also the current standard in Europe. So regardless of where you fill up, sulphur content won't exceed 10 ppm.

Of course, I can't say every servo out there is law abiding and has the motorists' best interests at heart, but as it's been over a year since the 2009 deadline, I doubt any servo still sells "Euro 4" (50 ppm sulphur) diesel - not to mention the illegality.

You still need to watch out for dodgy fuel though (always ask for a receipt for proof of purchase).

Sulphur is bad for the environment creating more noxious air into the environment ???, acidifying engine oil (bad for engines?) and increasing the pressure on my DPF to do its work?? (also bad for the DPF???)
Any comments?

Yes, yes and yes - high sulphur diesel leads to increased DPF blockage, increasing the back pressure and requiring frequent regeneration. All of which increases fuel consumption.

Using a high SAPS oil (e.g. 502.00 and/or 505.00) will also do same thing. You must use a low or mid SAPS oil (i.e. 504.00/507.00) to minimise EGR deposit formation and decrease the frequency of DPF blockage.

Euro 5 diesel allows the use of low or mid SAPS since the very low sulphur content means the oil isn't prematurely worn out from fighting excessive acid formation.

rory
28-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks Diesel_vert. Answered my questions..and more Rory