PDA

View Full Version : Headunit install with iPod connection

dancet
14-04-2007, 01:20 AM
So I got sick of the stock CD player rejecting most of my burnt CD's. I also got sick of the cries from my iPod being left at home each time I went for a drive. Soooo...

I got a 2006 model (on sale) Alpine deck with built-in iPod compatibility and iPod cable included. I got the mob I bought it from to install it as I don't know sh*t from clay when it comes to car stereo installs. When the iPod is connected it just becomes another source on the deck. You control everything through the deck, so the iPod cable can be routed to the glovebox, (if so desired) plugged in and forgotten about. 20GB worth of songs and no CD's? sounds good!

Please excuse the camera phone pics...

Here is the new deck. Nice blue buttons match with the stock dash colours in the car. Though the small green-lit buttons along the bottom and the volume knob are letting the team down. No bother, I'm not too fussed with the colour scheme.

http://users.tpg.com.au/dancet/GTi/stereo_1_resize.jpg

There is a little slot on the top right side of the glove box that is perfect for the iPod. I went to Church of St. Bunnings and bought a 23 cent sponge I could cut up for padding. Hard drive + sliding around inside the glove box = death, so I wanted the iPod nice and snug.

Here's the sponge (note: this pic is only included to flesh out my post and is more or less pointless)

http://users.tpg.com.au/dancet/GTi/stereo_4_resize.jpg

Here is the chopped up sponge stuffed into the iPod's new home away from home (my mac and USB cable) and the iPod cable routed through the dashboard into the top of the glovebox.

http://users.tpg.com.au/dancet/GTi/stereo_2_resize.jpg

And finally the iPod plugged in and snug as a bug in a rug.

http://users.tpg.com.au/dancet/GTi/stereo_3_resize.jpg

I'm really really happy with the new headunit. The iPod integration is brilliant. Can browse by artist, song, album and playlist, play all tracks on random, play playlists and albums on random as well as display track info and playtime. When turning the car on, the iPod starts up exactly where it was up to when the car was turned off without pressing a single button. It also gets charged when it's plugged in.

It's hardly the most brilliant sounding system as I'm still using the stock speakers, but I find them more than adequate and I'd rather have my entire music collection on tap rather than 10 fully sick subs and all that rubbish.

If anyone is thinking about getting an iPod compatible Alpine deck and has questions about the functionality or behaviour, feel free to ask!

- Tom

DIDZ
14-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey Tom,

Well done for the write up - looks neat !

I too have had the same woes as yourself (although listening to the turbo spool up has been exciting in itself!) and looking to get one today !

dancet
15-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks Didz. Anyone else care to post info or pics of an aftermarket install in their mk4?

jbot
15-04-2007, 04:09 PM
im in the market for a headunit now. unhooked my battery for too long and i don't have the security code :(

any recommendations?

mikinoz
15-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the write up, this is going 'straight to the DIY thread'!

j:

SoVeReIgN
17-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Did you consider buying the official VW/Audi ipod adaptor part?

I had it priced at $120 iirc from a VW dealer (more from Audi).

If you I were going to keep the stock speakers thats what I would have done, only reason imho to put in a new deck is if you were going to upgrade your speakers aswell.

Nice setup anyway :)

dancet
17-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I know there is a VW iPod adapter, I didn't price it or look into it too much. I would be a little skeptical of the interface when navigating around the iPod though. The Alpine is by no means perfect, but it's pretty damn good and more or less the same style navigation as the iPod itself.

And now I can play burnt CD's, mp3 CD's and have a decent platform if I wanted to upgrade speakers, etc.

silverdovegti
07-06-2008, 07:20 PM
has anyone bought and installed the vw ipod adapter for mk4s? seems like its the cheapest alternative to connecting an ipod to a mk4 without the use of a fm transmitter or installing a new head unit. feedback appreciated!

HOLEIN1
07-06-2008, 09:54 PM
has anyone bought and installed the vw ipod adapter for mk4s? seems like its the cheapest alternative to connecting an ipod to a mk4 without the use of a fm transmitter or installing a new head unit. feedback appreciated!

i wasnt aware that it worked in the MK4's, thought it only worked in the MK5's?

popeclement
08-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Installed a Pioneer unit similar to the Alpine with full iPod compatibility, with control either from the deck or from the iPod.

Can also confirm it works well with my iPhone.

A question - is the Mk4 rooftop antenna a powered unit because the AM reception is not good - i think it needs 12v etc for the antenna connection.

agonza
08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
A question - is the Mk4 rooftop antenna a powered unit because the AM reception is not good - i think it needs 12v etc for the antenna connection.

Yes, the ant on the mk4 is powered. That is what the beige? thing from the antenna socket like ... but if it has been removed or missing, then I do remember seeing them on ebay. Can't find a link at the moment to refer to.

felix da cat
19-06-2010, 12:40 AM
So I got sick of the stock CD player rejecting most of my burnt CD's. I also got sick of the cries from my iPod being left at home each time I went for a drive. Soooo...

I got a 2006 model (on sale) Alpine deck with built-in iPod compatibility and iPod cable included. I got the mob I bought it from to install it as I don't know sh*t from clay when it comes to car stereo installs. When the iPod is connected it just becomes another source on the deck. You control everything through the deck, so the iPod cable can be routed to the glovebox, (if so desired) plugged in and forgotten about. 20GB worth of songs and no CD's? sounds good!

Please excuse the camera phone pics...

Here is the new deck. Nice blue buttons match with the stock dash colours in the car. Though the small green-lit buttons along the bottom and the volume knob are letting the team down. No bother, I'm not too fussed with the colour scheme.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

There is a little slot on the top right side of the glove box that is perfect for the iPod. I went to Church of St. Bunnings and bought a 23 cent sponge I could cut up for padding. Hard drive + sliding around inside the glove box = death, so I wanted the iPod nice and snug.

Here's the sponge (note: this pic is only included to flesh out my post and is more or less pointless)

Here is the chopped up sponge stuffed into the iPod's new home away from home (my mac and USB cable) and the iPod cable routed through the dashboard into the top of the glovebox.

And finally the iPod plugged in and snug as a bug in a rug.

I'm really really happy with the new headunit. The iPod integration is brilliant. Can browse by artist, song, album and playlist, play all tracks on random, play playlists and albums on random as well as display track info and playtime. When turning the car on, the iPod starts up exactly where it was up to when the car was turned off without pressing a single button. It also gets charged when it's plugged in.

It's hardly the most brilliant sounding system as I'm still using the stock speakers, but I find them more than adequate and I'd rather have my entire music collection on tap rather than 10 fully sick subs and all that rubbish.

If anyone is thinking about getting an iPod compatible Alpine deck and has questions about the functionality or behaviour, feel free to ask!

- Tom

hey bud, looking to do this same upgrade myself and i was wondering when the head unit scrolls thru does it go artist by artist or does it skip by letter?

ive seen other head units that scroll thru letter by letter which if ur rocking a 60gb is awesome compared to artist by artist.

cheers, felix.