PDA

View Full Version : Grease Monkey Questions

pommy_golfer
13-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Im stressing about my VR running too hot and have ordered a new fan switch that kicks in 10 degrees before it should, and a new thermostat from Dean at intervolks.

Can anyone advise me on..

a) Where the thermostat is located and how difficult is it to change/tools required etc

b) Is there any special procedures in changing the theremostat

and

c) How do you know if your water pump is on its way out? how much do they cost? and how difficult is it to change?

Any insight would be great...Thanks guys...

BlackVr6ix
13-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I cant help with the above questions, but check that your AUX water pump is running, search on vwvortex for its position, you should hear it running under the bonnet when the ignition is switched on. im sure its failure would show the symptoms you are explaining.

Tim
13-04-2007, 12:10 PM
c) How do you know if your water pump is on its way out?

in my case i started leaking water everywhere and was having to top up maybe 1L per 100kms

pommy_golfer
13-04-2007, 12:27 PM
i was wondering what that noise was, that explains it! its defiantely working coz i hear it when i turn the ignition on.

Does anyone else know where the thermostat is?

BlackVr6ix
13-04-2007, 12:30 PM
if its really loud its probably on its way out. the thermostat i think is in the wierd plastic thing on the front of the motor with the long plastic pipe that runs diagonal across the motor.

**Edit** wow that was real descriptive....

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/04/P2064335__thermo_switches-1.jpg

pommy_golfer
13-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I will have look when i get home, i was just on the VWvortex sight it was showing how to change a thermostat on a 2.0 mk3 and he had to take off the power steering pump, the the fan belt etc...apparently vw puts the thermostat right infront of the waterpump so i hope for the VR its nothing like the 2.0....

BlackVr6ix
13-04-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.gti-vr6.net/library/engine/repl_VR6_therm_housing.html

Try there, theres some pretty good info on that site.

pommy_golfer
13-04-2007, 01:38 PM
i will have a look when i get home.

I was on Vwvortex website and there was a detailed demo on how to cahnge the thermostat on a 2,0 mk3 and he had to take off the power steering pump, the fan belt etc and i thought to myself for my sake i hope the VR doesnt require me to do all that stuff.

He also mentioned that VW always puts the thermostat in front of the water pump....i think the water pump is under the car job?

Golf Loon
13-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Its in a different place on a VR6. The pic in this thread shows where it is.
Dont touch it until you have another thermostat housing to hand as they are brittle and your old one will be rooted I expect.
Look under the coilpack on top of the gearbox, do you see coolant. Yes? It will be thermostat housing. There are several bolts, including one that is very hard to get at. You almost have to take the front of the car off for access.
Have Fun