PDA

View Full Version : Wheel paints

rayray086
13-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi all,

Just looking into fixing up the curbage on my factory 14" wheels as a "just for fun" project, and will be repainting them. I see good reviews and opinions on Duplicolor wheel paint products, but when searching around for wheel paints, I mainly find VHT-branded products here in Australia.

Anyone here have experience with these products? Anyone here have experience with any wheel paint products, and/or recommend any? Also, if any of yous know where I can locate these wheel paint products, a location would be great!

Thanks,
Raymond.

syncro
13-04-2007, 08:37 AM
I have used "White Night" epoxy enamel with good success.

BlackVr6ix
13-04-2007, 08:43 AM
VHT > K&N IMHO

i havent seen any other brands other than those two.

VHT are pretty good i havent ever had a problem with them, just make sure you clean your rims up good before you start, 800 grit wet dry sand and wax and grease remover should do the trick.

Valver.
13-04-2007, 09:09 AM
I'd just have them powder coated - $70 for 4 wheels last time I did it :)

BlackVr6ix
13-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Good price, i've found average price in Vic is around $40 a rim!

rayray086
13-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I'd just have them powder coated - $70 for 4 wheels last time I did it :)

That is a really good price; BlackVr6ix, that's the kind of price I usually hear too. However, this is a strictly do at home project and I'm hoping to spend no more than $40 in products to fix up all four wheels.

Where would I be able to find the product you were using syncro? Also, anyone else have experience with VHT? I may just go for the VHT line if I hear some more opinions.

However, I was perusing through their site and found this:

Warning: Clear coat is for use on polished or bare metal surfaces only, and should not be used over any painted finishes.
:confused: :confused: I thought clear coat was supposed to go over painted finishes, and primer was meant for bare metal surfaces before the basecoat of paint. But then they go on to say:

This unique product resists chipping, cracking and fading, while protecting the wheel surface from oxidation
So I'm guessing a clear coat is not required?

syncro
13-04-2007, 02:40 PM
White Knight epoxy.

http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/product/view/rust-guard-epoxy-enamel

Store locations;

http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/store_location/region/Australia+wide

It's easy to use and sticks to anything.

rayray086
13-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the links syncro! Will check them out at Bunnings!