PDA

View Full Version : My New Toy....and it's noises!!!

blur32
12-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Found your forum in Performance VW from the UK...finally people who share the love!
Got my 1st watercooled VW in Jan....an '07 R32 3dr with roof and DSG. Love it! Drove heaps of stuff, but it was the sound that got me......
Modded so far with and induction kit and Sebring cat back exhaust and a set of Konig rims (really want some TSW Holstens but can't get 'em anywhere). Mods on the way: APR headers, APR chip and Haldex torque split controller.

Need some help/advise/guidence: the front suspension is VERY noisy a low speeds on near full lock-sounds like the springs are letting go or nor seated correctly. This hasn't effected handling or ride and is apparently one of those things "they all do". There is a VAG service alert out for this problem but i can't find out any details. At the moment it's more embarrasing than anything, but i am concerned of long term problems or a failure under some extreme circunstances (like the next few laps at Winton!). Any ideas????

gtimk5
12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Blur, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it. We are a friendly family!
Great choice of VW too.
Cheers, Andrew :)

DaveMack
12-04-2007, 03:12 PM
It sounds a really nice car ... but feel a little like a blind man having a sunrise explained to him. :)

Welcome to the forum.
D.

Subie25L
12-04-2007, 03:13 PM
THis is probably no use to you at all since i've a GTI and my noise was from the rear.
However...
Basically had a knocking sound from the rear. First tough it was an exhaust mount but ruled that out. Then thought it could be something to do with the rear springs or suspension mounts. I could repeat it by going over a speed bump with one rear wheel and not the other to load up the rear sway bar and it produced the knocking sound.
VW fixed it by removing and reinstalling the RSB. Well that's what they told me.
When i dropped it in for service they didn't ask any questions about it. All they had was from the description i gave to the lady booking it in. eg knocking sound from the rear. Makes me think that they knew about the problem.

Depending on your noise it may be just an adjustment issue with something in the front end.

blur32
12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
It sounds a really nice car ... but feel a little like a blind man having a sunrise explained to him. :)

Welcome to the forum.
D.

Apologies for no shots..... below are the shiny ends of the Sebring system. Very proud of them i am! Look hot, sound nice (same R32 note but a bit more mature...deeper, richer...sweet!!!)

Rims are getting fitted as we speak (see below), will post in the morning

blur32
12-04-2007, 04:54 PM
The rims are a bit "rice" looking...but it's damn hard to find rims for an R32 with the right stud pattern & offset that i like!

Really want a set of these (TSW Holstens). Much more Euro!!!

phaeton
12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Welcome blur32 :D

Enjoy the VW Experience ;)

GoLfMan
12-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Hot diggity.... love the style... i also prefer the second rims but wouldnt say no to either set...
that exhaust looks tops

blur32
12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome all! Looking forward to some runs.

GoLfMan: if you think it looks good, wait to you hear it! Wont tell you how much tho......Put it this way, the new Aussie distributor Remus/Sebring just happens to around the book of my store and he just happened to get an R32 box for display and needed a demo car....you can guess the rest!

By the way, if anyone nows how to get TSW rims into the country without breaking the bank, let us know

GoLfMan
12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome all! Looking forward to some runs.

GoLfMan: if you think it looks good, wait to you hear it! Wont tell you how much tho......Put it this way, the new Aussie distributor Remus/Sebring just happens to around the book of my store and he just happened to get an R32 box for display and needed a demo car....you can guess the rest!

By the way, if anyone nows how to get TSW rims into the country without breaking the bank, let us know

lucky bugger :D seems to fit nice aswell! some after market stuff just doesnt sit right.

blur32
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
perfect, designed specifically for the MkV R32. Right down to supporting the factory electronic butterflys in the box

Panman
12-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi Blur, if it of any use, I have an R32 also - no noises from the front end of mine so they don't _all_ do that :rolleyes:

I hate it when dealers can't be bothered to fix stuff under warranty....

I had the same today - took mine in to get a rattle in the rear seat sorted, after four hours I went back to "can't reproduce it" - funnily enough they'd managed to put 30Ks on it drink nearly 5 litres of fuel...

Maybe they couldn't hear it over the engine revving it's tits off?

I took the foreman for a drive showed him where the noise was coming from, and also let him know I was less than pleased about the driving habits of his staff.:mad:

Panman
12-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Ooops and sorry for the DP, in my experience it's usually the Front ARB that causes that sort of noise....

blur32
13-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks Subie25l & Panman:

Me thinks it is ARB as Panman stated. I know the guys fairly well at my dealer (i also had "delivery delays"), so i have tried 2 other R32's on the lot. Surprise, surprise, they don't make a sound. So now they apparantly all do "with some k's on the clock"!

Have had the same "drive" problems as u Panman, try having the only R32 in town: the last time they assessed the noise took them over 50km's and a belly full of juice. They apparently just drove around the lot and certainly didn't go that far....must get a lot of speed up in the yard as the freshly cleaned rims were covered in brake dust!!!:?

blur32
13-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Panman: how many k's have u got up? How has the motor freed up? Any mods?

...and whats the go with my "n"s coming up with a smiley face?

srbsta
14-04-2007, 08:22 AM
hey dude welcome to the from and very nice looking ..::R32 :D

blur32
15-04-2007, 10:08 AM
hey dude welcome to the from and very nice looking ..::R32 :D

Cheers and thanx for the welcome. Glad to see you stuck with the cloth interior...nothing cooler! What mods have you done thru APR? What sort of results have you got?

brackie
15-04-2007, 10:32 AM
...and whats the go with my "n"s coming up with a smiley face?
You may be hitting the alt or ctrl keys at the same time (depends upon your keyboard setup).

Panman
15-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying Blur, mine is just coming up to 3000Ks, and starting to loosen up a little, but no front noises appearing.

The rear drivers side door seems a little "tight" on mine and there is a noise from back there, but other than that, nothing wrong.

blur32
15-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Panman: No mods yet?

I'm just coming up to 5000km's (since 5th Jan). Engine has freed up nicely, rev's more freely and if anything feels a little smoother. Sebring cat back exhaust system has given no real noticable gains in power (waiting to dyno it) but has improved throttle response of the line dramatically. And now sounds even hotter!

DSG has bee re-set once but no dramas other than the front end noise, which doesn't seem to be affecting anything. Only let downs are poor quality audio system (non nav) and the way below average quality of the plastics in steering column shroud and indicator/wiper stalks (even a Hyundai is better!)

CAN'T WIPE THE GRIN OF MY FACE THO.......:) :) :)

Subie25L
16-04-2007, 10:49 AM
DSG has bee re-set once but no dramas

Why did the DSG have to be reset and what was the differnce afterwards ?

WABIT
16-04-2007, 11:00 AM
The rims are a bit "rice" looking...but it's damn hard to find rims for an R32 with the right stud pattern & offset that i like!

Really want a set of these (TSW Holstens). Much more Euro!!!

OMFG DEFENATLY

WABIT

P.S WELCOME :)

WABIT
16-04-2007, 11:04 AM
fond something similar or i think they are the same but polished....pity its on a mk4

http://xs114.xs.to/xs114/07161/IMG_2827.jpg (http://xs.to)

wabit

blur32
16-04-2007, 11:22 AM
fond something similar or i think they are the same but polished....pity its on a mk4

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ (http://xs.to)

wabit

wabit: those are clones of the previous generation Audi A8 rim. This is the look that i am after...trying to keep it "euro" and stick with either genuine VAG products or similar (like the Holstens). I have steered away from the knock off Audi rims so far as i can't find the quality i am after. Whilst the Konigs are a bit rice, i couldn't help myself....i needed something. U can't stay standard to long!

blur32
16-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Why did the DSG have to be reset and what was the differnce afterwards ?

Subie25L: It needed re-setting after a run to & around Melbourne for a day from Albury. It only had 300k's on it when i left and was about 41 degrees all day. Couldn't resist hammering around in the traffic (lot's of stopping and starting). After that and then a gentle cruise home, the adaptive brain of the box got itself all confused...hesitating on low speed downshifts, skipping a gear (either up or down). My dealer flashed it and it's been perfect since. After having had to selespeed Alfas in the past this didn't really concern me at all:D

Please note that there is also a new flash for both GTi & R32 at your friendly local dealer now. Only a 5 min job to. This will sharpen changes on heavy throttle or in manual or "s" mode and there is no less hesitation/confussion at low speeds in "d"....not that it should ever, ever be left in "d"!

WABIT
16-04-2007, 11:31 AM
hahah true... u got any pics of the awesome piece of machinery that is called your r32?

wabit

Subie25L
16-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Please note that there is also a new flash for both GTi & R32 at your friendly local dealer now. Only a 5 min job to. This will sharpen changes on heavy throttle or in manual or "s" mode and there is no less hesitation/confussion at low speeds in "d"....not that it should ever, ever be left in "d"!

Thx - Me thinks i should call the service dept soon. :cool:

blur32
16-04-2007, 01:34 PM
hahah true... u got any pics of the awesome piece of machinery that is called your r32?

wabit

Let me get these rims on & I'll post them ASAP. Some advise/input: the Konig rims have removable, paintable centre spokes....what colour? silver, black (as pictured) or body colour???:???:

WABIT
16-04-2007, 05:47 PM
black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wabit

blur32
16-04-2007, 06:19 PM
black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wabit

Gave the wheel guys a call this afternoon to find out where my rims are....delayed by a week (sound like VAG Aus don't they). Was slightly sad about that, so they have stumped a second set of inner spokes. I'll paint these body colour and be able to swap between both

GoLfMan
16-04-2007, 06:37 PM
oh god no... dont do em body colour!!!! gun metal grey ;)

blur32
17-04-2007, 09:39 AM
oh god no... dont do em body colour!!!! gun metal grey ;)

Don't panic GoLfMan....just wanted to see what the response was like!:D It is going to be to "jap" as it is on those rims.

What i have got tho is a mate who has colour matched the paint on the grill (alu look), took him a while as VAG don't hand out the paint code, so thinking that may look the part.

What's eveyones thoughts on doing the mirrors in the alu look? I know it's an Audi "S" thing, but just trying to dress her up without looking tacky...I need guidence

Panman
20-04-2007, 10:35 AM
If you can get the same brushed aluminium look as on the grille it should look okay - like the S series Audis, but all of the mirror covers I have seen have been chrome, which does look cheap IMHO.

blur32
21-04-2007, 08:34 AM
If you can get the same brushed aluminium look as on the grille it should look okay - like the S series Audis, but all of the mirror covers I have seen have been chrome, which does look cheap IMHO.

Absolutely no way i'll paste on some tacky UK chrome plated plastic crap to the car Panman! Mind you, the guys from chrome your car do some nice alu (genuine) battery covers with the R32 logo engraved on them.

I'll only paint the mirrors if the paint is a perfect match. Should look great i think.

For some "non tacky" dress up bits, have a look at awesome-gti.co.uk

Panman
21-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I've looked at awesome-GTI, and they have some good stuff.

I think the brushed aluminium would look great - unfortunately, Mine's Relfex Silver so would't look as good ( a mate of mine has a silver S4, and you can't tell that the mirrors are any different from the rest of the car.) look sweet on DBP though.

blur32
22-04-2007, 09:45 AM
panman: do you know of anyone who as fitted the aluminium gauge facia panel to their MkV yet? I have a mate in the UK with a TT Sport (black roof over blue) and this was fitted standard and looks hot...me thinking would brighten up the interior without going OTT, thoughts?

Panman
22-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I haven't seen one fitted, but I think it'd look sweet......

blur32
22-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I haven't seen one fitted, but I think it'd look sweet......

ordered! Plus the billet climate control rings to replace the rubber surrounds.

blur32
13-05-2007, 03:49 PM
panman: do you know of anyone who as fitted the aluminium gauge facia panel to their MkV yet? I have a mate in the UK with a TT Sport (black roof over blue) and this was fitted standard and looks hot...me thinking would brighten up the interior without going OTT, thoughts?

Got the alu facia panel. Getting it fitted this week, will post some pics once done. Rims should be here this Wednesday as well...finally. Just a few delays!!!