PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav Golf GTI- Need Advice

nassdeutsch
11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Guys, Great forum. I ordered a new GTI 3 DR Red DSG 3 weeks ago. Pickup day is tomorrow, but i have had a few hassles. I purchased it with sat nav (dealer fit), sunroof, leather, and parking sensors (dealer fit) . I was amased when he said it would only be 2 weeks for delivery. The bad news is i got the call this morning advising m that they were going to hold off on fitting the sat nav until the end of the month (i had to order dealer fit). He said the reason this was because the new version is on its way and its the DVD version and he didnt want the old version fitted only for me to find out at a later date I just missed out on the newer version. Firstly is this true? Is the curret Sat Nav not DVD? Also, parking sensors are dealer fit. Once again guaranteed the same as the factory fit. Is this true as well?

Fantastic Info available guys. Because I already had my Vin number I could check all sorts of things thanks to reading this forum.

Please help.

J :?:

phaeton
12-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Welcome nassdeutsch :D

Someone will be along soon to answer your questions ;)

Tensixty6
12-04-2007, 08:33 AM
The current SatNav is CD based, not DVD based.

I spoke to some VW reps at the Melbourne Motor Show last month and they indicated that they were unaware of any plans to move from CD to DVD based SatNav.

The SatNav l have fitted to my 2006 model is fitted at the factory, not dealer fitted. Some dealer fitted systems, apparently, don't have the 6 stack centre console fitment. Be wary.

Guy_H
12-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Certainly have seen the new DVD versions factory fitted in the new R32's

nassdeutsch
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks Guys. I hope this rep is telling the truth and this is a DVD model. Does this mean that the unit would be able to play movies? Also I have read through a lot of discussion topics and i cant seem to figure out if the sat nav will work exactly the same as the factory fitted unit. I did get very nervous when I saw that the stacker isnt fitted sometimes and the lcd with the turn indicators isnt fitted always either so i emailed the dealer advising them that i expected the car to have all of these things fitted, though he never replied. I saved the email and ill show him when i pickup.

Does anyone know the answer on this. Should the unit be identical? Should all of the buttons on the sterring wheel work just like the factory fit.

Lastly, running in of GTI's. What reccommended for the inital period? I know the motors are run in at factory, but should you drive with care for the first oil change peiod, or drive it a bit harder? There are a lot of mixed messages on this!!!

Thanks

Jarad

Lima
12-04-2007, 10:00 AM
From what I've heard (but not confirmed) dealer fit Nav will NOT have the highline cluster display in between the tacho and speedo. You can add that display, but it will cost you more.

Hopefully though, your dealer looks after you and fits the whole shooting match as per OEM. Interested to hear how the DVD unit goes.

Cheers Liam

origin
12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
That true the new SATNAV is on DVD base. I got mine DVD base but I need
to wait 6 months to get my car..factory fitted:?

I didnot know the different. I will be interested to hear that;)

Nooooo Nooooo dvd movie that my Sales told me.... :D :D

cheers

origin

sausage
12-04-2007, 11:13 PM
From what I've heard (but not confirmed) dealer fit Nav will NOT have the highline cluster display in between the tacho and speedo. You can add that display, but it will cost you more.

Hopefully though, your dealer looks after you and fits the whole shooting match as per OEM. Interested to hear how the DVD unit goes.

Cheers Liam

I can confirm that the dealer fit sat nav does NOT have the highline display which apparently shows street name as well as the turning direction. I can also confirm that dealer fit sat nav does NOT have CD stackers. The CD stacker are very EXPENSIVE to buy and install. The dealer fit sat nav unit, should look exactly the same as the factory one. I don't think DVD sat nav can play movie... I don't even think you could play a music DVD in that unit. I believe the DVD unit will only play the map DVD...

I can confirm the above because I did a lot of research and have ordered a GTI with 4 months waiting period... all because of the sat nav...

Tensixty6
13-04-2007, 06:18 AM
How much is the dealer fitted SatNav system that doesn't have a stacker, or the highline display?

nassdeutsch
13-04-2007, 10:38 AM
The sat nav is $3500 (dealer fit). I will be getting a refund on this if the stacker is not included as you cannot play music at all if you dont at least have the stacker because the sat nav cd is in the front. I might make a call to VW help to confrim this and post what their response is. I was told by a different dealer a month or so ago that the only difference was the highline lcd isnt included. They all seem to say something different, there is a lot of confusion on this.

Tensixty6
13-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I think you're being had!! IMHO.

blur32
13-04-2007, 05:13 PM
The sat nav is $3500 (dealer fit). I will be getting a refund on this if the stacker is not included as you cannot play music at all if you dont at least have the stacker because the sat nav cd is in the front. I might make a call to VW help to confrim this and post what their response is. I was told by a different dealer a month or so ago that the only difference was the highline lcd isnt included. They all seem to say something different, there is a lot of confusion on this.

Save your $3000k+, buy a Garmin Nuvi660 or TomTom910 and get a better, faster nav unit with text-to-speech, bluetooth handsfree for your phone (TomTom will even read your text messages out to you) and even get optional iPod control. Take from car to car and not suffer the depreciation come trade-in...you'll only recover about $500 over a few years

flu!d
14-04-2007, 07:06 AM
The Genuine 'accessory' (ie: Not fitted at the factory sat nav unit) does not come with the stacker. The stacker costs more again and you need to purchace a new centre console to fit the stacker into.

Tricky
14-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Certainly have seen the new DVD versions factory fitted in the new R32's

I've also got a DVD based sat nav in my 2007 GTI (Feb 07).

Given that a factory fit sat nav (including 6 CD stacker) is a $2990 option, I think your dealer must be taking the **** asking $3500 for just the sat nav and no cd stacker...

If factory fit is not an option then definitely go for a TomTom or whatever.

flu!d
15-04-2007, 09:04 AM
The dealer is not taking the piss....

That is how much the sat nav headunit is unfortunatly.

Hell, an RCD300 radio/CD player headunit is about $2500.00 retail.

Having said that, you can buy the same nat nav unit brand new off ebay for about $1200.00.

nassdeutsch
16-04-2007, 08:17 PM
whats te model number of the dvd dat nav and brand