PDA

View Full Version : Polo 77TSI -> Moderate Performance Vehicle - RTA NSW

littledubliner
03-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi All,

Just letting you know that if you are getting the 77TSI 6 speed manual, it requires and exemption from the RTA NSW for P-platers. Despite being on the lower end of a 'performance vehicle' spectrum, an exemption is required all the same due to the turbocharger.

I need to explain in the application the following:

1. Please explain what the vehicle will be use for.

2. Why can't you continue using existing forms of transport?

If anyone has any ground-breaking ideas what to write, please let me know.

The first question is pretty straight forward - ANS: Driving
The second questions I was going to simply say that as I have recently become a P-plater and this is the lowest spec car available for me to drive.

Is something more compelling required?

bfeboi
03-07-2010, 04:11 PM
the most reasonably priced car with a very good safety rating?

Jun
03-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Plus it would be a vehicle that you obviously like the looks of. So it's a stylish vehicle that shows your individuality. Plus the cost is low and emphaise safety.

FJ Steve
03-07-2010, 04:58 PM
see my "suggestions" in bold.

If your application is successful, I expect a commission from your first pay cheque. :)

Hi All,

Just letting you know that if you are getting the 77TSI 6 speed manual, it requires and exemption from the RTA NSW for P-platers. Despite being on the lower end of a 'performance vehicle' spectrum, an exemption is required all the same due to the turbocharger.

I need to explain in the application the following:

1. Please explain what the vehicle will be use for. To assist with transportation requirements to my education facility

2. Why can't you continue using existing forms of transport? Public transport is not available at the appropriate times for my studies. Public transport is not safe for a student when travelling alone at night after attending evening study periods. Public transport is not convenient (timetable and destinations) for my part time job.

If anyone has any ground-breaking ideas what to write, please let me know.

The first question is pretty straight forward - ANS: Driving
The second questions I was going to simply say that as I have recently become a P-plater and this is the lowest spec car available for me to drive.

Is something more compelling required?

noone
03-07-2010, 05:09 PM
The restriction is based around kids playing with too much power.

I'd address the real issue: Its a conservative car, not a performance vehicle. The turbo design is an efficient one, not a powerful one (like the Skyline's and Supra's).

I know the questions are geared towards something else, but feel you need to get across that the car is a long term commitment and being a turbo does not pose any threat to other drivers, its just the way new frugal cars are designed.

littledubliner
03-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks folks. I'm guessing the application should be straight forward. Just wanted to see if anybody had applied and was successful (and what they said).

Cheers.

Allegiance
04-07-2010, 10:48 AM
You may want to check that it's not like the Victorian laws
Vicroads (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourPs/RestrictionsOnPs/Lowerperfomanceturbochargedorsuperchargedvehicles. htm)

From 6 July 2009, drivers issued with a probationary licence on or after 1 July 2007 may drive some lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. The definition of a lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicle is a vehicle with 6 cylinders or less that is:
turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne

Because the car is under 100kw per tonne this is enough to get granted an exemption.

EDIT: The laws where originally the same in Victoria where you couldn't drive turbo charged vehicles at all.

danish
06-07-2010, 11:00 AM
You can actually apply for an exemption based on the cars moderate performance...

I did that with a Polo Gti so I'm sure you'll have no troubles

MontVolks
10-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Was this for the new or old Polo GTi?

I'm on P2's (NSW) was wanting to purchase the new Golf GTI. You think I could get an exemption

Greg Roles
10-12-2010, 11:11 AM
What about you are a poor student, no real money, and it was a gift from your Grandparents?

noone
10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
New Polo, not GTI.

pologti18t
10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I hate to say it but you should have sorted this out prior to ordering a car.

It will be interesting to see what they say, as you are asking for exemption after buying the car when there are several alternates (well, actually all the competitors) available on the new car market that are compliant.

cme2c
10-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Stop that immediately! If we fill moderate performance VWs with P platers, My insurance will go up!

(removes tongue from cheek) I saw an M5 (current shape) with a P plate the other day, so getting an exemption can't be too hard.

dave_r
10-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Ah the old rules. When I was on my P's, I got myself a new S15 200SX which *just* got through the rules on power to weight yet a bunch of other stuff which was far less potent wasn't allowed. Had it been my first car, I'd have killed myself no doubt.

I'd be using reliable and safe mode of transport as the main reasoning along with maybe manufacturers using smaller engines with forced induction to improve fuel economy. Its a growing trend and I think it will continue forcing the governments to greatly revise their policy.

You shouldn't be penalised for being able to afford a good safe new car but the governments only good at doing one size fits all farces!

Stop that immediately! If we fill moderate performance VWs with P platers, My insurance will go up!

(removes tongue from cheek) I saw an M5 (current shape) with a P plate the other day, so getting an exemption can't be too hard.
Oh yes that's a good one hehe, maybe get a french car. I'll never buy one of them so no problems about insurance :D

As for exemptions, don't assume people even bother. Heaps of people just drive what they like and risk the fine or worse, possibility of not being insured!

Hail22
10-12-2010, 12:01 PM

Those sort of people are the ones who go cough cough my dad is dieing thus i must drive it every day to get his heroine...errr ummm....medicine.

Allegiance
10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
I tried to get an exemption for a Golf GTI in VIC and I was denied. I did get accepted though for the 77TSI. I only just got that the other day actually :P (just kept forgetting about it).

Gladiator
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
I tried to get an exemption for a Golf GTI in VIC and I was denied. I did get accepted though for the 77TSI. I only just got that the other day actually :P (just kept forgetting about it).

Did they give a reason?
I'm applying to get an exemption for the 2011 Polo GTI as it meets all the exemption criteria except for the "sports type vehicle" as it has a supercharger which the base polo doesn't have.

Gladiator
03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
You can actually apply for an exemption based on the cars moderate performance...

You mean you actually applied for a low powered turbo charged or supercharged vehicle exemption for the 2011 Polo GTI and got accepted??? What reasons did you give???

Gladiator
03-02-2011, 01:36 PM

What was the reason? Did the Golf GTI fit any of the criteria? I only ask because I'm applying for the Polo GTI exemption.

cme2c
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Sooner or later the manufacturers are going to have to start challenging these silly out dates rules. While the basis for the law is correct and has logic, applying it to a 77 kW Hatch does not...

As a dealer, Dermot, why don't you start something? I think when the Falcon comes out with the ecoboost 4 cylinder, the RTA may come to their senses.

Gladiator
03-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Sooner or later the manufacturers are going to have to start challenging these silly out dates rules. While the basis for the law is correct and has logic, applying it to a 77 kW Hatch does not...

Have you had any p-platers (on either red or green p's) purchase a Polo GTI?

Gladiator
03-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Did you get an exemption?

Allegiance
03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
What was the reason? Did the Golf GTI fit any of the criteria? I only ask because I'm applying for the Polo GTI exemption.

Because there a lower powered models available.

Allegiance
03-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Yes it is crazy. I have to apply for an exemption for the Polo, however I can legally drive a Audi Q7 V12 diesel or Lotus Elise without an exemption. The mind boggles....

Gladiator
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Because there a lower powered models available.

That would be a valid reason had the Golf GTI not have been between their power to weight ratio range. As this is not an issue, the fact that there are less powerful versions of the model is irrelevant.

Gladiator
05-02-2011, 10:06 AM
This is from the Vicroads website:
These exemptions are not based on the driver having to demonstrate hardship. In making the decision, VicRoads must consider:

the effect on safe, efficient and equitable road use in Victoria; and
the characteristics of the vehicle, including whether it is designed for sports performance rather than family use.