PDA

View Full Version : Minimum character-per-post number... Can it be lower?

Jace
29-06-2010, 10:42 PM
This one catches me out a lot. I understand that it's to stop people posting simple ":)", or "+1" etc.

Perhaps the minimum number of characters per post could be lowered a bit, from 10 characters to maybe ~5?

Something I'd appreciate. I put time and thought into a lot of my posts, but sometimes I feel the need to simply respond with a "hell yeah" etc.

Just a suggestion. :)

Thanks.
- Jace.

Tim
29-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I agree

<insert extra characters to meet post minimum>

The_Hawk
30-06-2010, 09:30 AM
The 10 character minimum is intended to ensure people are posting something of value rather than just "yes" and "no" etc etc. In an effort to add something worthwhile, maybe "Yes, that's a great idea because..." or "No, that would cause these issues..."

I'm not singling anyone out here, but I'd like to think that people can come up with a reply that is longer than their signature. It's a little frustrating to be cycling through a page that is 90% signatures with very little content in between.

Having said all that I understand that some of the more social areas of the forums probably do not require the extra thought so I will have a look and see if there is any way to lower (or remove) the minimum post length in certain parts of the forum, although from my quick hunt around this morning I haven't seen a way to do that.

Tim
30-06-2010, 09:50 AM
good point

Jace
30-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Okay that's fair enough. Peddling through a page with minimal posts is just as annoying.
I think for replies in classifieds ads for instance, having to write "I have PMed you" rather than just "PMed" etc.

Okay so maybe it's about a 50/50 thing haha.
Not to worry, I'll just suck it up like I should! :)

mk3pete
30-06-2010, 07:24 PM
The 10 character minimum is intended to ensure people are posting something of value rather than just "yes" and "no" etc etc. In an effort to add something worthwhile, maybe "Yes, that's a great idea because..." or "No, that would cause these issues..."

I'm not singling anyone out here, but I'd like to think that people can come up with a reply that is longer than their signature. It's a little frustrating to be cycling through a page that is 90% signatures with very little content in between.

Having said all that I understand that some of the more social areas of the forums probably do not require the extra thought so I will have a look and see if there is any way to lower (or remove) the minimum post length in certain parts of the forum, although from my quick hunt around this morning I haven't seen a way to do that.

i do agree with what your saying Aaron but people just overcome this logic by putting extra full stops or more question marks
it just defeats the purpose:)
like..........
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or
i agree

<insert extra characters to meet post minimum>
just my 2 cents:)

Jace
30-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I think even 2 or three less characters would be helpful. 7 characters can't spell out too many simple/stupid posts.