PDA

View Full Version : What tools are needed for Clutch Change in a VR6?

BlackVr6ix
10-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Me and Ausgolfer are going to try to do a clutch change on my vr6 next weekend (21st-22nd) and im wondering if there is any specific tools i need to acquire before then. I have a decent set of tools but just wanted to check about anything thats a little unusual.

also, are there any other things i should change at the same time apart from the rear main oil seal and the timing chain guides?

golf3
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
If you're bustin out the drive shafts you need a M8 multi spline piece...like one of them star allen key things, but its got 12 points...

Cost me $80 for a full set of them, because kingcrome don't sell them seperately... So, I have a set you may borrow...

You may also need a clutch aligning tool...

BlackVr6ix
10-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I've got a set on order from work, thanks for reminding me.

Should make it a GTG and get everyone to help LOL

bboyskidz
10-04-2007, 09:56 PM
how much would one usually pay for a clutch replacement? mine is starting to slip (possibly related to the fact that i poured transmission fluid on it :( ) and i need to get it fixed soon...

i don't think it is something i'm willing to do myself, unless of course you boys wants to make a tutorial ;)

BlackVr6ix
10-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I'll be taking plenty of photos and am more than willing to "try" and make a tutorial for others to use.

golf3
11-04-2007, 09:02 AM
(possibly related to the fact that i poured transmission fluid on it :( ) and i need to get it fixed soon...

Did you do the trick of pouring tranny fluid into the bell housing check hole...???

ScienceVR6
11-04-2007, 09:28 PM
how much would one usually pay for a clutch replacement? mine is starting to slip (possibly related to the fact that i poured transmission fluid on it :( ) and i need to get it fixed soon...

i don't think it is something i'm willing to do myself, unless of course you boys wants to make a tutorial ;)

I have a few quotes.

VW dealer: VW clutch, $1300. non genuine, $1200

inderpendince: $1000, $1200.

Oli
12-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Hi Mate
Around 300-320 genuine LUK complete clutch kit.(presure plate,clutch plate and bearing) Can get one not a problem.
Mechanic shouldnt charge more then 250-300.
If you got extra 30-40 replace rear seal on the crank and one on the gearbox
If interested let me know
Thanks'
Oli

bboyskidz
13-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Did you do the trick of pouring tranny fluid into the bell housing check hole...???
*sigh* yess... damn that hole!

VW dealer: VW clutch, $1300. non genuine, $1200

Around 300-320 genuine LUK complete clutch kit.(presure plate,clutch plate and bearing) Can get one not a problem.
how is it that both these prices are so far apart?!

back on topic, a tutorial would be so handy, if it is good enough, it should give these forums and your nick quite a lot more rep...

gman
13-04-2007, 01:02 AM
hey it'd be great to see a vr6 clutch replacement tutorial!

take lots and lots of digital photos of it all for the dummies like me out here :)

good luck!

BlackVr6ix
13-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Consider it done then, it will also help us when we have to put it all back together! hahaha