PDA

View Full Version : replacement windscreens!

itgwv
10-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Today had prick with his big american ford pick up flick up a rock as i drove past and no need to guessing what it did to my windscreen. These new screens with rain sensing wipers needing to be taken into account aren't the cheapest. $600 installed.:(

Subie25L
10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Today had prick with his big american ford pick up flick up a rock as i drove past and no need to guessing what it did to my windscreen. These new screens with rain sensing wipers needing to be taken into account aren't the cheapest. $600 installed.:(

Ouch - Maybe i should tick the box for the windscreen replacement on my insurance.

drb999
10-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Ouch - Maybe i should tick the box for the windscreen replacement on my insurance.

Does the insurance cover the "rain sensing" part?

brackie
10-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, my insurance (being an old guy and with API) doesn't inclue windscreens. Maybe I better shop around a little more......

pinzvidz
10-04-2007, 05:53 PM

Ughhh... f*&kin' big American ****eboxes! That sucks!

itgwv
10-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I had a look through my insurance and nothing in it about windscreens. So i think something in that for all of us in future while looking for best deal. My first windscreen to replace in 14 years so hopefully will be another 14 before the next one. Least the cracks haven't gotten bigger as waiting 2 weeks until my 30k service so all done in 1 hit. Will be 1k day with no performance gains.:mad:

acdcfan
10-04-2007, 10:26 PM
My insurance does cover windscreens and it is unlimited widows and windscreen replacements....
I am with QBE

Maybe it is worth trying them out if all other fails...........

fergVdub
12-04-2007, 01:09 AM
I made a point of adding the windscreen option with NRMA and asking if it covered the rain sensing windscreen which it does, cos t an extra $60 as I remember

cheers
ferg

REDMKVGTI
12-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Yeh, I had a yak to the guy from O'briens when he did the windscreen on my current car (not a golf). His misses had a MKV GTI and he highly recommended paying the extra to have the windscreen covered.

syncro
12-04-2007, 07:59 AM
$600 sounds OK. I think mine is $2k.:o

Lima
12-04-2007, 09:50 AM

Interesting. I've been told the rain sensing bit simly clips into place and is not part of the screen? That said, when we got our GTI I made sure we had windscreen coverage.

My MINI does not have rain sensing wipers and therefore I can replace with Australian made glass. Which I've had to do twice now, costs about $240. No big deal. But to replace an OEM MINI screen with rain sensor in it can be as much as $1200.

Thanks for the heads up.

srbsta
14-04-2007, 08:14 AM
damn man.....my dad had his windscreen cracked by a soccer ball and the damage was $1500 for a new one :( soo $600 is ok i guess

TDI DSG
15-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Just had a new screen fitted to my Golf 5 - 2 actually. Can be bought from the dealer for $450 - glass only. The rain sensor is not part of the screen it simply clips into a plastic fitting that is glued to the screen. Mine was covered under insurance - who use Obriens and there is no requirement to use a genuine screen. The non genuine screen was such a bad fit that you could hear and feel wind rushing in the cabin - luckily it didnt rain ! After much jumping up and down it now has a genuine screen which is apparently several times the cost of the non genuine item. You get what you pay for I guess.

itgwv
16-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds like going the original is definately the way to go. Still have a week left before it gets installed and the current screen still holding in there without cracking further. Shows how tough the body is.:)