PDA

View Full Version : Polo Problems & Fix Register

Pages : [1] 2

MR-GTI
10-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey all,

I see that there are few people here that have or are experiencing problematic issues with their Polo's.

I thought I would start this thread so we can all inform each other and help each other Fix these issues.
(If we want, maybe it can become a "STICKY" thread for all to add to and see).

So all you do is follow my template below and add your car specs (Brief)
Mention your problem, Small description or what it's doing ect.. and then add the result, wether it was fixed by yourself (What did you do/ How did you do it)or if it was fixed by the dealer.

This way we might not stress as much when something goes wrong with our cars.

I will start -
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 8800
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - BUSINESS DAILY

PROBLEM - SUNROOF
DESCRIPTION - ROOF STOPPED WORKING THEN JAMED AND NEARLY SHATTERED THE GLASS
FIX - TOOK IT IT BACK TO THE DEALER, IT REQUIRES A WHOLE NEW MECHANISM.(I HAVE BEEN WAITING SINCE EARLY DEC 06 FOR THIS AND IS NOW READY FOR INSTALL)

PROBLEM - CLUTCH
DESCRIPTION - WHEN DEPRESSING THE CLUTCH A VERY LOUD SCRAPPING/ SCREECH NOICE IS HEARD FROM UNDER THE CAR. ALSO THE PEDDLE FEELS VERY NOTCHY)
FIX - NOT FIXED YET , WILL BE LOOKED AT BY THE DEALER WHEN NEW SUNROOF MECH HAS BEEN PUT IN.

PROBLEM - POSSIBLE SNAPPED ENGINE MOUNT
DESCRIPTION - WHEN GEARING DOWN I CAN FEEL THE ENGINE JUMP ALSO WHEN CHANGING THE GEARS QUICKLY I GET A MASSIVE BANG ON THE FIRWALL, ENGINE SEEMS TO BE ROCKING A LITTLE TO AGGRESSIVE FOR MY LIKING AT IDLE
FIX - NOT FIXED YET , WILL BE LOOKED AT BY THE DEALER WHEN NEW SUNROOF MECH HAS BEEN PUT IN.

PROBLEM - RADIO
DESCRIPTION - AUDIO JUST SEEM TO STOP EVERY NOW AN THEN FOR A FEW SECONDS FOR NO APPARENT REASON,DOES THIS ON ALL STATIONS, BUT NOT WHEN PLAYING CD'S
FIX - NOT FIXED, ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS BEFORE I TELL THE DEALER?

Thats all I can remember for now, not too happy with it at the moment,as it is my daily work car.

Hope this helps guys'n girls!!

Regs MR-GTi

Flaps
10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 11,000
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Radio
DESCRIPTION - When listening to preset 5(Nova) when I flick stations and come back to prest 5 I hear snippets of classical music from another station. It will cut in and out randomly. It also happens when I start the car after work sometimes. It says Nova but plays AM music...
FIX - ?

jasn78
10-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey all,

IPROBLEM - POSSIBLE SNAPPED ENGINE MOUNT
DESCRIPTION - WHEN GEARING DOWN I CAN FEEL THE ENGINE JUMP ALSO WHEN CHANGING THE GEARS QUICKLY I GET A MASSIVE BANG ON THE FIRWALL, ENGINE SEEMS TO BE ROCKING A LITTLE TO AGGRESSIVE FOR MY LIKING AT IDLE

Regs MR-GTi

MR-GTI I also get the massive bang on the firewall. Scares the proverbial out of you.

2006 Polo Gti
25000kms
Business use
Oettinger Chip, customer exhaust, 17"s

Besides that no other problems *touchwood

beefa
11-04-2007, 06:38 AM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 1,000
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Lights Switch
DESCRIPTION - Driving lights will turn on at every light setting (Parking or full) with the light indicator showing they are on. Touching the switch lightly will flick them on or off showing a dodgy switch mechanism.

FIX - Will take back to dealer at first service.

DaveMack
11-04-2007, 06:50 AM
12,000 kms
Daily use vehicle

Washed car and, when returning mirrors to std position, left mirror fell out in my hand (wiring etc. still attached). I pushed it back in and car was serviced shortly afterwards. They tell me it's fixed ... but I'm not going to play with it to find out.

Guy_H
11-04-2007, 08:30 AM
14000km's Polo GTI - slightly hard use :D

Stitching came undone on the drivers seat before PD (Leather) - the girls driving it broke both seat release handles somehow in the Dutton rally.

The stock clutch fried like it had run into the sun.

Oh - the firewall banging is pretty simply the lower pendulum engine mount bottoming out (we have been working on replacements for that.)

Sunroof good - the odd rattle here & there.

oh, fuel pump died at 9,000kms

Spec83
11-04-2007, 09:59 AM
PROBLEM - CLUTCH
DESCRIPTION - WHEN DEPRESSING THE CLUTCH A VERY LOUD SCRAPPING/ SCREECH NOICE IS HEARD FROM UNDER THE CAR. ALSO THE PEDDLE FEELS VERY NOTCHY)

I haVE this - was told when i bought it up at the first service that aparently its the clutch noise/feel all of the GTi's make... I have gotten used to this now... but atleast if it does turn out to be a faulty master cylinder or the like the problem ahs been logged on service records.

Now my turn -

MAKE - POLO GTI (Candy White)
KMS - 16750
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - BUSINESS DAILY

PROBLEM - RADIO
DESCRIPTION - CDs WOULD GET STUCK IN PLAYER
FIX - GOT THE RADIO REPLACED AT FIRST SERVICE

PROBLEM - REAR EYE LEVEL LIGHT
DESCRIPTION - WOULD GET CONDENSATION IN IT WHEN WET
FIX - LIGHT REPLACED AT FIRST SERVICE

PROBLEM - FRONT END
DESCRIPTION - LOOSE FEELING THROUGH THE WHEEL WHEN TURNING AND ACCELERATING ON ROUGH CORNERS
FIX - HAVE A FEELING IT COULD BE THE REAR ENGINE MOUNT THAT IS CAUSING SOME OF THE FIREWALL BANGING - WILL BRING IT UP AT NEXT SERVICE

Guy - How is the new rear mount comming along??? Please pm me when its available i will be first inline for a newie!!!

ryan_GTI
11-04-2007, 06:24 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 14000
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Driver's seat creaking
DESCRIPTION - Panel behind the seat came undone or something
FIX - Dealer tightened up panel and put in foam to make it stop rattling (??) - Problem came back 2weeks later but dealer say they can't hear anything
UPDATE - Brought it back to the dealer once again and they have FINALLY ordered in a new frame for me. Finally goodbye to creaks!

PROBLEM - Clutch feeling spongey
DESCRIPTION - Clutch all of a sudden felt lighter and spongey, harder to find the *bite* point
FIX - Brought it back to the dealer twice and said there was no problem... but there's definately something wrong with it!

PROBLEM - Driver's window creaking over bumps
DESCRIPTION - Everytime i go down my driveway or drive over bumps - the driver's side window makes and annoying creaking noise.
FIX - Dealer fixed the issue, but the problem came back - as soon i brought it back to dealer they blamed the hot weather :confused: and advised to lubricate the seals myself

Spec83
11-04-2007, 08:34 PM
ryan_gti... can u pm me the dealer - they don't sound too helpful!!!

mitch_gti
18-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Jeez i didnt realise these cars had these sorts of problems.

My car has 4,700 kms on it now.. (took deliver in late 06)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the car, total delight to own.

Creaking doors is normal, just lubricate the seals a bit.
Ive also got a tiny occasional creak in the dash but thats it.

ACTGTI
19-04-2007, 08:47 AM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 6500
CAR USAGE - DAILY[/B]

PROBLEM - Key not turning in ignition.
DESCRIPTION - Went to start the car and the key wouldn't turn at all.
FIX - Temporary fix to make the steering wheel lock, then the key turns. Off to dealer soon but it has only happened once.

PROBLEM - Rattles in dash and doors.
DESCRIPTION - Some minor rattles inside dashboard somewhere and inside door panels when stereo is turned up a bit.
FIX - Dealer soon.

PROBLEM - Ear piercing beep x 2 when unlocking doors.
DESCRIPTION - The 2 beeps are really annoying to me.
FIX - Dealer soon. Hopefully re-program.

PROBLEM - Sometimes passenger door doesn't unlock when button pressed twice.
DESCRIPTION - Sometimes I have to keep pressing the unlock button to get the passenger door to unlock, which is annoying since it keeps making the beeps!!
FIX - Dealer soon.

PROBLEM - Boot doesn't unlock when car unlocks.
DESCRIPTION - I would like the boot to unlock when I unlock the car. I don't want to have to hold down the boot button to unlock it and then get the high pitched beeps again. I just want the thing to unlock when car is unlocked. If they get rid of the beeps I will be happy enough.
FIX - Dealer soon. Hopefully they can re-program these things.

PROBLEM - Knocking noise going over driveway gutter.
DESCRIPTION - Heard it twice (separate occasions) going over small gutters into driveways. Comes from right front suspension area I think.
FIX - Off to dealer soon.

That's it at this stage.

Wand Weaver
19-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Jeez i didnt realise these cars had these sorts of problems.

My car has 4,700 kms on it now.. (took deliver in late 06)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the car, total delight to own.

Creaking doors is normal, just lubricate the seals a bit.
Ive also got a tiny occasional creak in the dash but thats it.

I'm the same as you, Mitch - without the extra creaks. Mine's still perfectly tight - not a creak. I did think I heard a "clunk" from the suspension once going over a speed hump - but it's never recurred, so I'm guessing the sound may have come from something outside, and not from the car itself.

This thread really does scare the hell out of you, though :(

Ben_GTI
27-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Make: Polo GTI
Kms: ~22k
Usage: daily driver

Problem: Un-cooperative gearbox
Description Car was throwing itself out of gear, grinding trying to get into gear, point blank refusing to go into 3rd gear.
Fix: Trip to dealer on a tow truck when gearbox finally shat itself, where they replaced the bushes in the selector mechanism.

The dealer had point blank refused to believe there was anything wrong with the car and refused to do anything about it when I reported it to them. Then one day coming off the freeway, changed down to fourth, then third.... well didn't make it to third. Put it in neutral, gave it a few revs and tried third again at which point it went into third.

Then at the lights I couldn't get it out of third, so it was limped home stuck in third gear. I got it out of gear in the driveway to find all the gears had run away and left me, so the car went for a ride on the tow truck.

The guy at the dealer when I picked it up even had the balls to quip "Ah so there really was a problem hey?" Thank god there would've been witnesses.

BlackVr6ix
27-04-2007, 04:45 PM
PROBLEM - RADIO
DESCRIPTION - AUDIO JUST SEEM TO STOP EVERY NOW AN THEN FOR A FEW SECONDS FOR NO APPARENT REASON,DOES THIS ON ALL STATIONS, BUT NOT WHEN PLAYING CD'S
FIX - NOT FIXED, ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS BEFORE I TELL THE DEALER?

Haven't read the whole thread but the fix for this is to disable RDS. its due to the unit trying to find a stronger signal for the same station and getting confused because we don't use RDS in Australia.

VEEDUB69
27-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Jeez guys, just signed a contract for Polo GTI, please tell me its not a lemon, how about the good things? Also, ru guys thrashing the crap out of em to cause a lot of these problems:?:

Timbo
27-04-2007, 08:44 PM
It's a little ripper -- don't get concerned. Some of the above problems are just programming of locks etc that the dealer can easily set. Given only 14 reports vs 44 identified owners and who knows how many lurkers, I would suggest the Pog is no better or worse than most other cars.

It's just much more fun to drive ;)

mitch_gti
27-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Thank Christ you dont own Renault sport Clio 182 cups.
Even though they are said to be fun, personally when i drove it nothing really stood out that much to me. Bit bland, bit boring, handled well and had reasonable top end power but NO torque and NO mid range. But overall very light and tinny.

One of my friends has one, rear bumper fell off, exhaust fell off, cat converter destroyed itself. Car refuses to start on cold mornings, computer died (had to get new one from france, took WEEKS) Interior bits and pieces falling apart and having to be reglued. Dealer didnt put enough pressure in rear tyres at service and tyres chewed themselves out on a cruise the next day (expensive excercise when they have michelin pilot exalto's)

Seems to have had everything happen to the car. But now with about 50 thousand kms he said its smooth sailing

FL00DY
08-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Haven't read the whole thread but the fix for this is to disable RDS. its due to the unit trying to find a stronger signal for the same station and getting confused because we don't use RDS in Australia.

Mines doing this, and I was looking through the manual for RDS and can't find anything bout it. Does this need to be disabled through VAG-COM?

ACTGTI
08-05-2007, 04:32 PM
From memory Floody, they don't call it RDS in the manual. It is one of the buttons on the stereo unit though. Have another read of the stereo section in the manual and look at what all the buttons are, one is a traffic report/information/warning button or something, just switch it off. Sorry about being vague, the manual isn't in front of me.

DaveMack
10-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Jeez guys, just signed a contract for Polo GTI, please tell me its not a lemon, how about the good things? Also, ru guys thrashing the crap out of em to cause a lot of these problems:?:

... of Friday-afternoon cars ... mines great - no rattles, squeeks, screaches on locking or unlocking.

Think of it this way ... if you'd bought a Ford, Holden or Toyota ... such minor problems would be considered inconsequential. :D

Cheers,
Dave

shaneth
25-05-2007, 03:57 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 11454
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - GEARBOX
DESCRIPTION - Crunches when Change between 1st and 2nd @ 6000pm.
FIX - Dealer has ordered in a new box should be in, in 3 weeks. :o

PROBLEM - Brake light on Wing
DESCRIPTION - Shut the boot after 1 month of owning it and it fell out. The clips had been broken off. Guess it was on installation.
FIX - Dealer has ordered a new one, will replace when Gearbox is replaced.

I was extremely happy with the Dealer didnt have to argue or anything. Will be taking it back there for services i think.

FL00DY
25-05-2007, 04:01 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 11454
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - GEARBOX
DESCRIPTION - Crunches when Change between 1st and 2nd.
FIX - Dealer has ordered in a new box should be in, in 3 weeks. :o

PROBLEM - Brake light on Wing
DESCRIPTION - Shut the boot after 1 month of owning it and it fell out. The clips had been broken off. Guess it was on installation.
FIX - Dealer has ordered a new one, will replace when Gearbox is replaced.

I was extremely happy with the Dealer didnt have to argue or anything. Will be taking it back there for services i think.

I had a clunk from 2nd to 3rd that has now disappeared.

ryan_GTI
25-05-2007, 04:28 PM
shaneth did you goto highway or austral?

how the hell did you get them to order you a new gearbox for you without arguing - you sure u didn't do nething else ;) lol

i had to argue them about my clutch but to no avail!! (highway vw)

shaneth
25-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Really Ryan. I went to Highway. I told them i had read english forums and that this seems to be a problem over there. I actually didnt think they would do anything about it, then when turned up to pick up the car from service they said they ahd ordered the new box and that they would rather replace it then strip it down. No complaints from me. :D

gpk_gti
25-05-2007, 05:02 PM
you are extremely lucky shane!!!!!! what voodoo did you do to them?? hehe

shaneth
25-05-2007, 05:08 PM
i dont know the only tihng i can think of is the guy who recommended me there has spent heaps there, 4 transporters, 4 caddys, tourage (spelling), 5 or 6 golfs. So that may have something to do with it.

gpk_gti
25-05-2007, 05:27 PM
that would be why.. they are not stupid 100% of the time..only 99% of the time!!!

Blue_Gti
26-05-2007, 01:29 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 11,000
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Radio
DESCRIPTION - When listening to preset 5(Nova) when I flick stations and come back to prest 5 I hear snippets of classical music from another station. It will cut in and out randomly. It also happens when I start the car after work sometimes. It says Nova but plays AM music...
FIX - ?
I had exactly the same problem with my radio - kept blanking out on Nova and then at times would pick up completely different radio frequencies. Took it back to the dealer and they were able to do a software upgrade on the radio - hasn't done it since!

Flaps
28-05-2007, 08:19 AM
I had exactly the same problem with my radio - kept blanking out on Nova and then at times would pick up completely different radio frequencies. Took it back to the dealer and they were able to do a software upgrade on the radio - hasn't done it since!

I found it was tuning itself to 92.9 instead of 96.9. So I reset it to another station and then back to Nova and its fine now. :)

mitch_gti
03-06-2007, 08:54 PM
i use meguiars trim cleaner and conditioner.

makes the seals soft :)

ryan_GTI
03-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Does that remove the squeeks entirely?

'Cos i was recommended to use some type of silicone spray...

mitch_gti
04-06-2007, 08:15 AM
did a dealer tell you to use silicone spray?

I work at a suzuki dealership in sales, the pre delivery department uses silicone spray all the time and it makes a god aweful mess.

I always have to go over each car to remove silicone spray. Pain in the butt because once the car moves, the stuff just sprays everywhere.

I would suggest you use something which is more cream based. Like plastic and rubber conditioner.

ryan_GTI
04-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Yup that's what the dealer suggested.. but thanks for the heads up!

Tick
04-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tip, will give it a go. Cheers.

Glide_GTI
05-06-2007, 01:07 AM
My bloody mp3 player gets stuck randomly.. sometimes it just says "reading disc" and wont go any further.. anoying when your half way though a cd of 100 mp3's and forgot where you were :P

have to eject it and put it back in to fix it

dodgeGTI
05-06-2007, 08:47 AM
My bloody mp3 player gets stuck randomly.. sometimes it just says "reading disc" and wont go any further.. anoying when your half way though a cd of 100 mp3's and forgot where you were :P

have to eject it and put it back in to fix it

Mine plays maybe 20 secs of an MP3 disc then stopped - ERROR! :mad:

DaveMack
05-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Mine plays MP3s ... no problem at all. :D

Dave

(Sorry ... that didn't sound at all sympathetic ... did it?)

Flaps
08-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know where new wiper blades can be purchased?

My driver side one is rooted. Not happy since it never rains and I never use the wiper fluid to clean the window. I reckon its gone up and down about 200 times max in a year of ownership!!

MINTpolo
08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Mine have been rubbish since the day i bought the car, i never got round to asking them to replace them, drought etc... now its too late. Im sure vw spares at the dealer would sell em, dunno who else though...

Wand Weaver
08-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Mine have been rubbish since the day i bought the car, i never got round to asking them to replace them, drought etc... now its too late. Im sure vw spares at the dealer would sell em, dunno who else though...

This may help - I asked the question a while ago - I've never actually checked Autopro to check, but they might be a good bet.

The wipers are known as 'Aerotwin' wipers (they used to be exclusive to Bosch, but I'd assume there's aftermarket ones by now).

Adam
29-06-2007, 06:36 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 19000
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - Daily ride

1. PROBLEM - Turbo oil pipe(or something in the line of those)
DESCRIPTION - A leak of oil was evident in the first service. Problem was solved.

2. PROBLEM - Gearbox
DESCRIPTION - Crunches when put into reverse (occasionally). Crunches when changing from 1st to 2nd at high rpm.

3. PROBLEM - Air Con system
DESCRIPTION - When the system is on, it makes an annoying whinning sound. It gets louder when the rev goes higher, until the engine's sound(of music) surpass those of the air con's.

4. PROBLEM - Brake Pedal contact switch
DESCRIPTION - Makes an annoying clicking sound every time the pedal is depressed. Dealer said it was normal, BUT!, supposingly newer one doesn't have that sound. will have to investigate in the new Demo cars dealer have!

5. PROBLEM - Circuit breaker? Fuse? Some other switch
DESCRIPTION - Random clicking sound coming from inside the dash. No associated with the brake clicking. Once or twice when the clicking occurs, the headlight's light dimmed a little.

Koz
30-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Come to think of it my gearbox crunches sometimes when putting it into reverse. I think its when I do it quickly and havent got the clutch ALL the way in

PeterHBne
12-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey Shaneth,

What happened with your gearbox in the end?

shaneth
12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Peter, replaced and loving it mate. no hassels at all.

Koz
12-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Im actually having 2nd thoughts on what is causing this noise. Im thinking maybe it is related to the steering as when I take a turn at speed I can feel a vibration or some unordinary feeling thru the steering.

Also when at low speeds today I turned around in a cul-de-sac and heard the same noise but alot fainter.

Hmmm any suggestions in regards to the steering components?

s1831559
19-07-2007, 10:29 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 1,000
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Lights Switch
DESCRIPTION - Driving lights will turn on at every light setting (Parking or full) with the light indicator showing they are on. Touching the switch lightly will flick them on or off showing a dodgy switch mechanism.

FIX - Will take back to dealer at first service.

my fog light stay on and off, when it mean to be off. dealer said the switch is faulty. new part ordered, yet to be installed

jb00
04-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Sounds like I had the exact same problem as you Shaneth...

MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 6000
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - GEARBOX + DRIVESHAFT
Crunched severely when Changed between 1st and 2nd at 5000 - 6000pm.
Dealer took it for a drive, then rang me the following day telling me that the car required a whole new gearbox :o

It then went in for three days about 2 weeks ago, was then also told that they were not happy with the one of the driveshafts, so that was replaced aswell, all under warranty of course.

The new gearbox is perfect, i can now actually change gears fast without the gearbox sounding like it is going to fall to pieces.

jb00

shaneth
04-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes it does mate, Which dealer did you go to.

jb00
04-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Austral, great service and was treated very well, was also given a Jetta FSI 2.0T DSG as a courtesy car. (was amazed at how different the new 2.0T is compared to my 1.8T)
Apart from the whole gearbox issue, the car has been flawless.

Which dealership so you use?

askmeba
10-08-2007, 11:44 PM
MAKE - POLO MATCH 1.6 Auto
DATE OF PURCHASE : OCT-2006
KMS - 8500km
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - DAILY

My Polo has a serious problem since last month.
On 13 July, when i was driving, my polo suddenly lost all the power and engine stall, after that, it couldn't restart, VW roadside assist towed my car to one of the VW service center, after one week, i was told there was a connector problem cause ECU lost communication, they said they've fixed it and i get my car back.
A few days later, same things happen again, VW roadside assist tow my car to another VW service center. I was told it is the faulty ECU, after 2 weeks i get my car back (yesterday 09-Aug-2007). I can see the Engine ECU is new, ECU built date is 2007-02-24 and Made in Hungary by Bosch.

And guess what ? Yes, after only 3 hours of driving, the problem happen again and has return to same service center.

I was totally doomed since it's already whole month and nobody can diagnostic what is the root of the problem.

Totally disappointed about that. It's a new car, i've bought a VW becasue i trust the German Engineering, Technology and quality of service. But to see what i'm having now is something rediculous.

Anyone can teach me what should i do ?

Flaps
15-08-2007, 10:51 AM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 19000
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - Daily ride

4. PROBLEM - Brake Pedal contact switch
DESCRIPTION - Makes an annoying clicking sound every time the pedal is depressed. Dealer said it was normal, BUT!, supposingly newer one doesn't have that sound. will have to investigate in the new Demo cars dealer have!

Adam I've found that this click sound is important. Mine stopped clicking and the ECU warning light appeared on the dash. The error reported was "Brake light switch". So my brake lights weren't working at all... Very dangerous!!!!

I had the switch replaced and all is fine. The new switch is a completely different shape and size to the faulty one. A guy on the Vortex had the same problem. It must be a common faulty part around the world for them to release an improved version?

At least I know when I hear the click sound people can see my stopping.

Wand Weaver
15-08-2007, 08:26 PM

I agree with your assessment that the failure IS totally ridiculous - given the ECU just got changed, I can't see it having failed again so quickly.

Guy or Seb might have some idea - I've certainly not seen a failure like this before. It could be a dodgy CAN BUS, but that suggestion is nothing but pure speculation.

insanekiwi
16-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi. I also have clicking noise behind dash when I...

1) put foot on brake
2) use single wipe front wind screen wiper

They are working fine and no problem, except for the clicking noise. My car was first purchased by first owner in Feb 2006 meaning it's one of the earlier vehicles.

Does mine need to be replaced at this stage? :?

ryan_GTI
16-08-2007, 01:29 PM
like whats previously said above, there's nothing to worry about - perfectly normal.

Adam
16-08-2007, 03:27 PM
like whats previously said above, there's nothing to worry about - perfectly normal.

yup. the dealer said it's a normal thing. but just gets annoying like the AC is. First told the dealer when we picked up the car initially, they told us it'll be fixed under warranty....but given that it's normal.
STIll it does get annoying when you are having one of those days that you just want absolute quiet to just think and all you hearing are the whines from the AC and the clicking sound from the brakes....just gets you mad:(

Kai
16-08-2007, 05:25 PM
MAKE - POLO MATCH 1.6 Auto
DATE OF PURCHASE : OCT-2006
KMS - 8500km
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - DAILY

My Polo has a serious problem since last month.
On 13 July, when i was driving, my polo suddenly lost all the power and engine stall, after that, it couldn't restart, VW roadside assist towed my car to one of the VW service center, after one week, i was told there was a connector problem cause ECU lost communication, they said they've fixed it and i get my car back.
A few days later, same things happen again, VW roadside assist tow my car to another VW service center. I was told it is the faulty ECU, after 2 weeks i get my car back (yesterday 09-Aug-2007). I can see the Engine ECU is new, ECU built date is 2007-02-24 and Made in Hungary by Bosch.

And guess what ? Yes, after only 3 hours of driving, the problem happen again and has return to same service center.

I was totally doomed since it's already whole month and nobody can diagnostic what is the root of the problem.

Totally disappointed about that. It's a new car, i've bought a VW becasue i trust the German Engineering, Technology and quality of service. But to see what i'm having now is something rediculous.

Mine did this a couple of times and it was a faulty maf sensor.

higuma
29-08-2007, 05:04 PM
MODEL - POLO GTI
KMS - 30K
CAR USAGE - every other day

Here's an odd one for you all, must be the way I draw the belt, anyhow not something you notice everyday but I suggest everyone have a look at theirs.

PROBLEM: Driver's side seat belt wearing out cloth trim next to the height adjuster.
DESCRIPTION: Due to the angle the belt is pulled, the edge of the seat belt could wear out the cloth trim to the left of the belt height adjuster (see pic below).
FIX: No fix, just preventatitve measure. I simply stuck a piece of 3M paint protection film over the wear area.

http://www.fungie.net/photos/beltwear.jpg

Funkdancer
14-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Not sure if anyone has missed a cancel cruise control button... Got one on my Euro. I'd been using the brake pedal to cancel cruise, but then I found that depressing the clutch pedal will do the same thing - looks a bit better to the guy behind too. :)

ACTGTI
14-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Not sure if anyone has missed a cancel cruise control button... Got one on my Euro. I'd been using the brake pedal to cancel cruise, but then I found that depressing the clutch pedal will do the same thing - looks a bit better to the guy behind too. :)

Yeah, on an automatic, it would be nice so as to prevent the brake light coming on. On a manual, the clutch works just as good as a cancel switch and no brake light. If it had a switch, I'd probably still use the clutch anyway. :)

jasn78
14-09-2007, 04:06 PM
2006 polo gti with 38000ks on it

Passenger window not working and interior light not recognising door is shut

Going into Austral on Tuesday to be diagnosed.

morbo2000
14-09-2007, 07:24 PM

You can cancel cruise with the cruise control on/off switch. When you push it not all the way it does a cancel while remembering the previous speed. Push it till it clicks into the other position and it turns off completely and forgets the speed.

Wand Weaver
15-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Anyone else ever needed to top their coolant up?

I've found that - after nine months and approximately 6000km, I've hit "Low". No warning lights or anything, and no visible leaks in the system that I can see. I'm going to have to get a bottle of G12+ and a bottle of distilled water, and give it a bit of a top up.

ACTGTI
16-09-2007, 09:32 AM
My levels haven't moved in 6000kms in 5 months.

Ben_GTI
16-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I had a low coolant light come on just before my 30k service. The guys at the dealership didn't seem too worried that the car was loosing coolant somewhere.

PeterHBne
17-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Anyone know if the rear wiper fluid is from the same reservoir as the fronts? Can't find a rear reservoir so I'm guessing it's a yes.

ACTGTI
17-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Anyone know if the rear wiper fluid is from the same reservoir as the fronts? Can't find a rear reservoir so I'm guessing it's a yes.

I am pretty certain there's only one reservoir. Given it takes a while for the fluid to come out at the back, I'd say it's just the one.

Also, I've never had a car with two reservoirs, I always thought all cars just use the one?

PeterHBne
17-09-2007, 04:40 PM
My Daihatsu Charade had two - filled a reservoir above the tail light with the hatch up

ACTGTI
17-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Well there you go. Learn something everyday. :)

DaveMack
17-09-2007, 06:23 PM
19 months and no lowering of the coolant level. :?

Dave

PoloGTi
17-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I had a low coolant light come on just before my 30k service. The guys at the dealership didn't seem too worried that the car was loosing coolant somewhere.

I had this too but happened every 5000k and took my car in the vw ro find a hair line crack in the radiater all fixed under warrenty.

Wand Weaver
18-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I had this too but happened every 5000k and took my car in the vw ro find a hair line crack in the radiater all fixed under warrenty.

Anyhow, picked up some G12+ and a bottle of demineralised water (yes, I'm being pedantic!) yesterday afternoon. I'll be monitoring this pretty closely - I suspect it might be something to do with me getting stuck in absolute gridlock last weekend (roadworks) for about half an hour, if not more.

ryan_GTI
26-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Does any1 else get squeeky/noisy front seats? i've had the dealer replace the back support thing and the noise still came back, lubing only cures it for an hour... :confused:

MINTpolo
26-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes, my seats squeak a fair bit i find i adjust the backrest recline slightly and it fixes it...for about 10minutes.

Glide_GTI
30-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Uhm, accidently put my keys through the wash... worked for a little while but now its dead, recon I should try get a new one under warrenty? :? ;)

Ben_GTI
30-09-2007, 09:28 PM
My seat squeeks and the back passenger side brake caliper sticks so the car squeeks when I first move off and when I turn corners.

FL00DY
08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Thought I might add my current, and really only, drama with the car.

Late September I noticed a leaky patch under the car after a good drive. Took it to Seb and saw a bit of a leak, but didn't have any more leaky patches. 2 weeks after that I had a Engine warning light come on. I had Denlo check it out and found a faulty Oxygen Sensor. After lots of travelling for work, I was able to get it done today. However they re-checked the leak and found the Radiator is leaking, so they have to keep it overnight and replace the radiator tomorrow.

Now done bout 55,000km, over 18 months old.

FL00DY
10-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Ok well now I'm really not happy. My Exhaust warning light has come on AGAIN. The apparent fault was the Oxygen Sensor, and this was replaced on Monday. I picked it up yesterday after the radiator was replaced, and now the light is back on :mad:

Kai
10-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok well now I'm really not happy. My Exhaust warning light has come on AGAIN. The apparent fault was the Oxygen Sensor, and this was replaced on Monday. I picked it up yesterday after the radiator was replaced, and now the light is back on :mad:

Ive had this problem too. Mine was fixed first time tho.

FL00DY
10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Ive had this problem too. Mine was fixed first time tho.

So was it the Oxygen sensor they replaced?

mdonohoe
14-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Hello,

I've posted before, and it was OK back then, despite the "accident" where some idiot backed into the front of the car. I had the following complaints and decided not to post until I finally got the "shaft" from VW and couldnt go any further.

1) Car hesitates whilst idling sometimes, with, or without a hard drive, mostly warm, with, or without APR flash turned on.
2) Front seats get a wierd squeak/squeek.
3) Interior I sware is 50% noisier than when I bought it, possibly more.
4) Drivers side door had rattles like a banshee.
5) Dash(in that non-slip bizzo) has rattles like #4.
6) Myraid of other rattles that have driven me past mental over the past 8.5months.
7) Think I can hear that gearbox problem starting.

So, the summary, walked into Subaru, asked what I could get for my car VS MY08 WRX. Ended up getting more for it in TRADE-IN than I paid for it.

Yeehah.

Adam
14-10-2007, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=mdonohoe;90069]Hello,

2) Front seats get a wierd squeak/squeek.
[/QUOTE

I have that issue too. but is it a warranty issue?? mine does it randomly, but very noticable and annoying. but it'll be hard trying to show it to the dealer when its very random and often then not, the noise just magically disappears when it's at t he dealer's hand.

mdonohoe
15-10-2007, 07:51 AM
As far as I'm concerned, my girlfriend has a MY99 Liberty Heritage, which is what, 8 years old now, approaching 9. No squeak/rattles on the interior. You betcha it's a warranty issue if thats the case.

I could replicate it.

I contemplated buying the Gold GTi, however, upon reading their threads, these problems dont seem to go away, even when your spending WRX-ish money(38990 ish).

ryan_GTI
15-10-2007, 04:14 PM
feeling your pain mdonohoe, its creaks galore in the polo...

now the window seals are getting on my nerves! creaks every time i turn or go on uneven surfaces - everytime i get it lubed up at VW it creaks 5mins later!

geez what r the chances of getting them replaced by VW? ><

FL00DY
19-10-2007, 10:00 AM

Had my car at Denlo VW Service (on James Ruse Drive) again yesterday to try and fix the recurring Engine light. They rang me in the morning to say that it was the other O2 Sensor :mad: They explained that there are 2 and that the 2nd one needed replacing also. Now call me crazy but if when they scanned it for codes & it came up saying O2 sensor fault, shouldn't they have replaced both of them? Oh and guess what, they didn't have that part in :mad: so I had to pick up my car yesterday and bring it back again today. They are close to work, but wont be taking it back there.

mitch_gti
19-10-2007, 12:57 PM
The GTI does have a few too many dash noises for my liking.

I have been pondering solutions for a long time now. It seems the plastics VW use in the Polo are quite brittle. The steering column for example, lightly press it and it creaks like nothing else.

I wish there was a foam in a can i could just buy (x10) and spray the stuff inside the dash lol.

My friends new Audi A3 1.8t dsg is built like a bank vault, not one single little noise. Impressive

FL00DY
19-10-2007, 01:02 PM
The GTI does have a few too many dash noises for my liking.

I have been pondering solutions for a long time now. It seems the plastics VW use in the Polo are quite brittle. The steering column for example, lightly press it and it creaks like nothing else.

I wish there was a foam in a can i could just buy (x10) and spray the stuff inside the dash lol.

My friends new Audi A3 1.8t dsg is built like a bank vault, not one single little noise. Impressive
See latest Top Gear for how bad an idea that is ;)

rennenhaus
19-10-2007, 01:25 PM
See latest Top Gear for how bad an idea that is ;)

but atleast the polo would float....

xposdu
19-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Alright here goes, i try not complain about this car but anyway:

CAR: Polo GTI 06
Kms: 36,000
Mods: Standard

1) 1500kms into owning this vehicle a rattle and knock was coming from the front suspension, i identified what side it was on and told the dealer. Dealer fixed the problem (Left Anti Roll link had broken).

2) Clunking/grinding from 1st to second on 6000rpm change. (gearbox fluid replaced at the 30,000 service but i can feel it creeping back into the box, will advice VW at next service)

3) Rattles in the dash are really annoying, this car is only about to tick over 1 year old, it shouldnt have these regardless of how its driven.

Other than that, i really cant complain, i love the car, and i love how it keeps up with some of the bigger capacity cars. Also, how do people go with stone chips, my bonnet is covered in stone chips, another annoying thing.

On a positive note, entered my first motorkhana up at Deca with the XR club of Victoria and killed everyone, was a very good day:)

brumue
19-10-2007, 03:44 PM
feeling your pain mdonohoe, its creaks galore in the polo...

now the window seals are getting on my nerves! creaks every time i turn or go on uneven surfaces - everytime i get it lubed up at VW it creaks 5mins later!

geez what r the chances of getting them replaced by VW? ><

I just read your post, i too had this issue and ive found a great solution.

http://www.waxit.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=EZ0007&cat=9

Get this product, comes with a 'shoe polish' sponge style applicator. Get it on all the surfaces of your door seals, and the noise will go, you will still need to do it on a periodic basis, but so far my last application was 3 months ago and i still don't have the creaks.

cheers

ryan_GTI
19-10-2007, 10:32 PM
hey thanks for the headsup brumue! will give it a try! :)

i've tried silicone spray, but it didn't do anything - this one seems convincing...

GTIJNR
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 27***
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Gear box
DESCRIPTION - second gear crunch as usual....
FIX - will visit dealer soon
PROBLEM - Oil leak!
DESCRIPTION - oil leaking under variable timing gear solenoid, goes on to water bypass rubber hoses, not very nice, and drop on to clutch housing, any body know this problem yet???
FIX - prob dealer soon...

GTIJNR
02-12-2007, 10:06 PM
ah also, check under car one day during service & installing HID found the power steering fluid was low! no evident of leak so i top it up... steering felt much better after...
AND for u guys with creak and groan from door seal and also noise in cabin while driving, check to see if the doors when close are flush with the body,i have re-adjust the door hinges and it helps, lots quieter.
interior: rattle rear right speaker with high volume, guess its the cabling for the interior sensor button, too lazy to disassemble the whole panel to fix...

But 1 - 2 shift crunch is really bad now, rang around a few dealers in melb and apparently none of them ever heard of such prob lol... re-adjust the shift linkages cable helps a little bit, but didn't fix it... wondering which dealer to bring it in for warranty work...

Jmac
02-12-2007, 10:15 PM
How many Ks has your polo done mate as i have a great fix for crunchy / notchy boxes but it only works on lower k vehicles and takes some care when doing so. Ive fixed numerous Porsches without even taking the box out!!!!!
The trick is to bed in the baulk rings to the syncros. You load up the car stationary with no clutch put some pressure on the gear at fault say second for arguments sake and then ride it for a couple of seconds but not too much as you can fry the baulk rings. But hey ive had some terrific results with this. And think about it, it makes sense. You are kind of lapping in the baulk rings. Failing this fix you need to try good oil and failing that one you are up for syncronisers and baulk rings mate
CHeers

GTIJNR
04-12-2007, 11:04 PM
How many Ks has your polo done mate as i have a great fix for crunchy / notchy boxes but it only works on lower k vehicles and takes some care when doing so. Ive fixed numerous Porsches without even taking the box out!!!!!
The trick is to bed in the baulk rings to the syncros. You load up the car stationary with no clutch put some pressure on the gear at fault say second for arguments sake and then ride it for a couple of seconds but not too much as you can fry the baulk rings. But hey ive had some terrific results with this. And think about it, it makes sense. You are kind of lapping in the baulk rings. Failing this fix you need to try good oil and failing that one you are up for syncronisers and baulk rings mate
CHeers

27 thosand kms
will try that, thanx for the advice... and oil is clean & up to indicate hole...

GTIJNR
17-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Just got back from dealer 2day, they'll fix the oil leak where vvt solenoir sit & gear box.... either new gear box or upgrade syncro... will get an answer next YEAR lol...

morbo2000
18-12-2007, 07:55 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 18000
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Gear box
DESCRIPTION - second gear crunch
FIX - dealer confirmed it today. find out on friday when they can fit me in to have the synchro replaced (will be some time in the new year, parts are on route from germany).

PROBLEM - Power steering cuts out
DESCRIPTION - Had power steering cut out twice. First time when leaving the dealer after delivery, and today when trying to turn into the driveway at work after an a blat down the short stretch of road with no cars on it after being stuck in traffic. came back in the car park but a bit worrying as i really had to force the car around the corner.
FIX - dealer looked at it today. diagnosed it as a faulty ground on the steering wheel angle sensor.

PROBLEM - creaky dashboard
DESCRIPTION - creak from inside the dashboard when the steering wheel is moved up and down (ie: from bumps while driving along). comes and goes (goes when the car is due for service, comes back soon after)
FIX - was finally able to show the dealer (hooray!). they will look at it when they do my gearbox.

I was pretty happy with the dealer, called them first thing this morning when my power steering cut out on the way to work and they told me to bring it straight in. Already had booked it in to get looked at in early Jan for the gearbox crunch.

Celestine
28-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Model: '07 Candy White 9N3 Match
KM's: 28000km
Mods: VR6 BBS rims
Usage: Daily

Problem - Stretch/creak noises from rear of car.
Description - When making a slow left hand turn into driveways or small bumps, a stretching/creaking noise comes from the rear end of the vehicle.
Fix: Not fixed.

Problem - Dash rattles.
Description - When driving along at certain speeds, the dashboard makes an annoying and odd rattling noise. Mainly at the speeds of 65~70km/hr.
Fix: Not fixed, will request inspection at 30,000km service.

Problem: Rear tail light.
Description - Rear LHS tail-light seems to have water marks on the interior of the silver round chrome surround.
Fix: Not yet fixed - contacting VW in regards to possible warrenty claim.

Problem: RHS rear door alignment.
Description - RHS rear door seems 'detached' (not fitting flush) to the rear quarter panel by about 2mm.
Fix: Previously adjusted by VW, problem was resolved by tightening and loosening tensioners in the doors. Will have problem resolved again at 30,000km service.

Jmac
28-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Just a quick one noise from rear could be the seat strikers. Pad up the strikers mate. Firstly drop the seat back and see if the noise is still there. Second one is your door Vw need to do the adjustment at the A pillar and not the Striker obvious this isnt fixing the problem.
Cheers

langers_sydney
16-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Well what a shame I am posting in this topic so soon......Lets hope its the first and the last time....

Polo GTI
1500 kms
No Mods
Business Usage plus two road trips (only had three wks)

Problem :- Went to start this afternoon and completely and utterly dead. Checked lights and doors but all was fine so no idea what caused the batt to die...

Resolution :- Called Roadside assist and bloke turned up tested it thoroughly and pronounced a BIG problem with the battery. Replaced it immediately and its fine now (the new one) says I need to go back to dealer and "reset the computer" reckons that the odd battery can do this.....

Any comments ? Spose I was lucky it wasn't anything else....Pretty impressed with the response time and fix though.....

mitch_gti
16-02-2008, 09:09 PM
It is not uncommon that a few battery problems might become evident after picking up a new car.

We get it from time to time at Suzuki. Car gets built (ours are built in Japan :D)
Then get put on a boat, sit on the boat for a month. Then Sit on the dock for anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months. Moved onto a truck. moved off the truck at the dealer. Moved into pre delivery, moved to showroom.

By the time you pick up your car the battery could be quite weak, a good amount of driving should fix this (not short trips)

Also make sure the top of your battery is always clean !

langers_sydney
16-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Mitch appreciated, that's almost exactly what the assist fella said.........

Will take her out for a long spin tomorrow

cheers again

Blitzen
17-02-2008, 02:07 AM
I got mine delivered with a very loose negative earth cable...lucky i found it before I drove from Sydney to Darwin...could have screwed the battery or fried the alternator.

simcard48
29-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Model: '06 Polo GTI
KM's: 22000km
Mods: None
Usage: Daily

Problem - Aircon doesn't work
Description - Aircon failed to cool the car (a few months back), on any setting. Heating worked
Fix - Serviced re-gassed it and dyed it to monitor for leaks

Problem - Driver side sunvisor lamp doesn't work
Description - The drivers side lamp for the sunvisor mirror doesnt come on.
Fix - Dicovered by serivice (i didn't notice it), and fixed a split wire

Problem: Rear Windscreen washer pump
Description - The jet for the washer fluid supplying the rear windscreen was reported as down on pump power by the service poeple.
Fix: Not yet fixed - service rand out of time to fix it, suspected kink in the system. Yet to reschedule it in to have it looked at

LoriJarrod
15-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Model: 2007 Polo GTI
KM: 10,000
Usage: Just picked up today. Had 15k service done on the previous day.

Just picked up a demo polo for the wife's daily. Left Denlo with flat tyres (she didn't realise) and got a little way up the road before she pulled into a servo and rang me. Tyre pressure was 10,10, 14 and 22 PSI for each corner. ABS plus a few other lights flashed on the dash and it beeped quite loudly at startup. Steering wheel symbol light was also constantly on. Very bad handling.

Pumped up tyres to 36PSI and after 2km driving the tyre inflation light activated. Checked pressure again and there was only a 2psi difference (could be different machines etc) Ring Dealer. No help whatsoever. Suggested we ring roadside assistance.

Wife drives to Randwick and lights come on again on dash, beeps and stalls. Wont start. Turns aircon off and re-trys. Starts and she makes it to her friends house. Roadside assistance comes and cannot find any problem. Coolant is below "low" level.

FIX: Hoping to take it back tomorrow to Denlo and either get a fix or exercise our Cooling Off Period rights.

Very disappointed. The sales staff at Denlo left her at a servo on Pennant Hills Rd for over an hour when someone on the telephone said they'd ring straight away. Drove back there to get some options before she headed to Randwick, and a salesman looked under the bonnet and deemed it fit to drive. I'm interested in how a service could be carried out 24hrs previously and the tech fail to notice flat tyres and low coolant.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm intending to ask for a copy of the itemised RO for the work performed at the service.

Thanks.

Jarrod.

philthy
15-03-2008, 09:01 PM
You might need to reset the tyre pressure indicator now that the tyres are pumped up properly. Hold the button on the dash in until it flashes.. shouldn't go off again.

There's a thread here somewhere about the polo's spitting out a bit of coolant. Shouldnt be a drama tho its a bit dodgy that they didnt pick it up at service.

Hope ur ownership experience improves a bit from here... my little beast hasn't missed a beat in the nearly 2yrs I've had it

Cheers

Celestine
15-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Model: '07 Polo Match 1.6L
Km's: 30,000km
Mods: Custom SRI, BBS Alloys
Usage: Daily Driver

Problem: Creak from LHS rear passenger/quarter panel
Description: Creak when car is going over bumpers, or hard turning.
Fix: Covered by VW warrenty, fault caused by bolts on the rear floor pan not properly secured.

Problem: LHS rear taillight
Description: Watermarks on the interior chrome section of light (without visible damage or cracks on the exterior).
Fix: Covered by VW warrenty, fault is uncertain but according to mechanics, due to possibly broken seal at the upper corners of the light, catching water run-off from the hatch. Replacement issued by warrenty (yet to be fitted).

Problem: Dash Rattles
Description: As mentioned above.
Fix: Being replaced under warrenty as no fault can be analysed and pinpointed.

Problem: Door alignment
Description: Doors not aligned correctly from factory
Fix: Alignment by VW mechanics by adjustors in the panels.

LoriJarrod
16-03-2008, 07:27 AM
You might need to reset the tyre pressure indicator now that the tyres are pumped up properly. Hold the button on the dash in until it flashes.. shouldn't go off again.

There's a thread here somewhere about the polo's spitting out a bit of coolant. Shouldnt be a drama tho its a bit dodgy that they didnt pick it up at service.

Hope ur ownership experience improves a bit from here... my little beast hasn't missed a beat in the nearly 2yrs I've had it

Cheers

Thanks Philthy.

Yes, I reset the low pressure indicator after I discovered the button on the dash.

I think we're suffering from a case of sitting in a showroom for an extended period. We'll see what Denlo have to say this morning.

Timbo
16-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I think we're suffering from a case of sitting in a showroom for an extended period. We'll see what Denlo have to say this morning.
Did they charge you a dealer delivery fee? If so, I would firmly request a refund of that, as the problems cited all clearly point to nothing having been done. Big cross against Denlo, in my books

LoriJarrod
16-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Just spoke to Denlo,

They're giving us a car to drive back to Newcastle and then the service department will attempt to rectify any faults on Monday. I expressed my concern to the Sales Manager that there is no legal protection for a purchaser once this time passes, and that I need assurance of the vehicle being fixed, or the contract terminated without penalty. Of course they're unable to make such decisions, and the DP is apparently unavailable, but he's assured me that "Denlo do not rip people off".

There was no dealer delivery fee, but the cost of the first service was negotiated in the final price. I'll definately be asking for this at the very least.

Sorry for the sour grapes guys. I really love this car but just hate bad service. As far as my wife's concerned, we should get the car fixed and keep it, because we'd be rescuing her from an abused home. (god help me) :D

Timbo
16-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, I think most of us here would agree that your poor experience is entirely due to the dealer's poor service, rather than any inherent issues with the car

LoriJarrod
17-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Just had a look at the service sheet for the car from last week.

- Battery dead. Charged.
- Power steering fault occurred. Alternator found to be faulty.
- Alternator replaced. Problem appears to be fixed.

No mention of checking tyre pressure or noticing that the coolant was almost empty.

They failed to mention that there was a major electrical malfunction found 24hrs before delivery. This is rather annoying.

We decided not to leave the car with Denlo and sort the problems out locally. (Newcastle)

I'll firstly replace the battery. I've had a few dead cells in previous cars that don't fully charge, and found it brings to life lots of electrical gremlins.

danno2908
20-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Just out of curiosity.. is there a thread to find out where is the best service centre for VW in each state... Moss Vale automotive group are dodgey

GTIJNR
20-03-2008, 11:17 PM
As far as my wife's concerned, we should get the car fixed and keep it, because we'd be rescuing her from an abused home. (god help me) :D

lol :D:D:D

Wand Weaver
21-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey fellas - I'm back (and I've got a problem to report :( )

MAKE - '06 POLO GTI
KMS - 8500km
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - Occasional

Problem: Driver's power window squeals/creaks like all hell in the top 1/3 of travel.
Resolution: Ask VWWatercooled :) Will monitor over time, and send into the dealership at next service or earlier if it deteriorates.

VW GTI
21-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey fellas - I'm back (and I've got a problem to report :( )

MAKE - '06 POLO GTI
KMS - 8500km
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - Occasional

Problem: Driver's power window squeals/creaks like all hell in the top 1/3 of travel.
Resolution: Ask VWWatercooled :) Will monitor over time, and send into the dealership at next service or earlier if it deteriorates.

Solution: Don't use windows? :)

Grant
22-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Just had a look at the service sheet for the car from last week.

- Battery dead. Charged.
- Power steering fault occurred. Alternator found to be faulty.
- Alternator replaced. Problem appears to be fixed.

No mention of checking tyre pressure or noticing that the coolant was almost empty.

They failed to mention that there was a major electrical malfunction found 24hrs before delivery. This is rather annoying.

We decided not to leave the car with Denlo and sort the problems out locally. (Newcastle)

I'll firstly replace the battery. I've had a few dead cells in previous cars that don't fully charge, and found it brings to life lots of electrical gremlins.
g'day Jarrod. did you buy the red gti with a sunroof in the denlo showroom?

i was very close to buying that car. also found that during my time at denlo that the service was pretty bad. i made an appointment to see a salesman, but didnt get served until an hour after i arrived. was offered a coffee after about 45mins, i asked for 3 (mum and brother were with me) and they never came. plus the saleswomen treated me like an idiot, (throwing in free car mats). i'd rate my denlo experience pretty poor with the exception of the finance consultant who was very helpful.

VW GTI
22-03-2008, 12:03 PM
i'd rate my denlo experience pretty poor with the exception of the fiance consultant who was very helpful.

Did he advise you not to get married? j:

Grant
23-03-2008, 07:15 PM
lol.. typo fixed

shhplit
23-03-2008, 10:12 PM
has anybody bought one off denlo yet?

or anyone bought a stock gti with leather?

how much did you pay for it?

thanks!

Celestine
24-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Model: '07 Polo Match 1.6L
Km's: 30,000km
Mods: Custom SRI, BBS Alloys

Problem: Creak from LHS rear passenger/quarter panel, is back AGAIN :mad:
Description: Creak when car is going over bumpers, or hard turning.
Previous Fix: Covered by VW warrenty, fault caused by bolts on the rear floor pan not properly secured. New method of repair - unknown yet.

Problem: Creak from driver seat.
Description: After removing pressure from the back rest, there is an evident springing/stretching noise.
Fix: Unknown - added to the previous list of warrenty repairs to be conducted by VW.

cliffo
24-03-2008, 08:00 AM
MAKE - '07 POLO GTI
KMS - 7,500km
MODS - None (yet)
CAR USAGE - Daily Driver

Problem: A bloody big Huntsman spider sitting on the inside of the windscreen right in front of my face

Fix: A rolled up newspaper j:

I hate spiders!!

(Mods - feel free to delete...hehehe)

mitch_gti
24-03-2008, 10:30 AM
MAKE - '07 POLO GTI
KMS - 7,500km
MODS - None (yet)
CAR USAGE - Daily Driver

Problem: A bloody big Huntsman spider sitting on the inside of the windscreen right in front of my face

Fix: A rolled up newspaper j:

I hate spiders!!

(Mods - feel free to delete...hehehe)

Hahaha, Cliffo, i FREAKED out when i saw that you had posted something in Polo problems.
Very happy that it was something as minor as a huntsman lol.

P.S, on my next day off which isnt a public holiday ill be sorting out a voucher for because you sent Mel into buy a Swift from me.
Westfield voucher is good for you?

cliffo
24-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Hahaha, Cliffo, i FREAKED out when i saw that you had posted something in Polo problems.
Very happy that it was something as minor as a huntsman lol.

P.S, on my next day off which isnt a public holiday ill be sorting out a voucher for because you sent Mel into buy a Swift from me.
Westfield voucher is good for you?

A huntsman isn't so minor when its <........this big........> :D

and re the voucher, sounds fine to me though as I said I wasn't expecting anything by sending her to see you, so really, don't go to any trouble mate.

mitch_gti
24-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Dont you mean Tarantula ?!?!?!?!?!

The company is being a ****, this new voucher thing is only for customers who buy cars in 08 onwards,

however to say thanks i will be buying you a voucher. Even if its only a little something.

Nothing you say will change my mind on this either. mwa ha ha ha

VW GTI
24-03-2008, 01:23 PM
What if he says 'I tried to talk her out of it but she really wanted to'. haha

MissVuks
31-03-2008, 10:03 AM
took my car in for the 3 month complimentary inspection.

Make: 2007 Polo GTI
Km: 3900

Problem: passenger window is making grinding noises when going down.
Fix: Ordered a new regulator

Problem: lock cover on the inside passenger door as slightly popped and isnt sitting flush with the door panel.
Fix: A new one has been ordered.

Both are being ordered in and will be done under warranty work. Will update when the car is booked in and fixed..

Other than that everything else is perfect

LoriJarrod
09-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Odo: 11,000km
Usage: Daily, parked on the street.

Problem: Recurrant powersteering failure.
Fixes so far:
- New Battery
- New Alternator

It's not throwing any fault codes, and yet within 15minutes of startup, the powersteering light will come on and the steering becomes hard. It's currently in the service department for the week. I will update with their findings. I have suggested replacing the PS pump but they seem reluctant.

Blitzen
09-04-2008, 08:11 AM

Fixes so far:
- New Battery
- New Alternator

It's not throwing any fault codes, and yet within 15minutes of startup, the powersteering light will come on and the steering becomes hard. It's currently in the service department for the week. I will update with their findings. I have suggested replacing the PS pump but they seem reluctant.

The Polo's have don't have a hydraulic power steering system like a Commodore/Falcon, instead they use an electric motor for power assistance. Your fault may be in the Power Steering Motor itself.

Cygnus
09-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Km: 16500

Problem: Rattling from rear of car, both sides.
Fix: Got 2 new suspension mounts replaced under warranty.

Problem: Wiring from rear left speaker fell out.
Fix: Fixed under warranty.

Problem: Sunroof stopper fell out.
Fix: Refitted under warranty.

Problem: Bits (maybe a 1cm x 5mm area) of paint missing under tailgate.
Fix: Got the touch up paint now, yet to apply.

Problem: Left front seat reclining adjuster fell off.
Fix: Dealer put it back on, not sure if replaced, or just snapped back on. I've snapped it back on before and it fell off again. Yet to fall off again since dealer.

morbo2000
09-04-2008, 07:28 PM

Fixes so far:
- New Battery
- New Alternator

I've had my power steering fail twice on me while driving in the year I've had my polo (first time was march last year as I was driving out of the dealership on delivery, second time was the week before christmas). The second time took the car to the dealer and they found that the steering wheel angle sensor had an intermittent ground connection fault which they believe (but couldn't guarantee) caused the problem.

Hasn't happened since then though.

LoriJarrod
10-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks dude. I'll pass it on. Car is still with VW.

russ83
10-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Make: 2006 Polo GTI
Km: 40,000

Problem: Rattling inside the passenger door, sounds like marbles rolling around.
Fix: Being looked at 22nd april

Problem: Both seat recline switches fell off, this is the 2nd time.

Problem: Radio, has intermittent pauses randomly.
Fix: Last time they looked at it, couldnt find any problems.

Problem: No brake lights
Fix: VW ordered a new brake switch unit from O/S, all fixed but had no car for 3 weeks.

Problem: Drivers seat leather stitching coming undone

MissVuks
24-04-2008, 01:53 PM
took my car in for the 3 month complimentary inspection.

Km: 3900

Problem: passenger window is making grinding noises when going down.
Fix: Ordered a new regulator

Problem: lock cover on the inside passenger door as slightly popped and isnt sitting flush with the door panel.
Fix: A new one has been ordered.

Both are being ordered in and will be done under warranty work. Will update when the car is booked in and fixed..

Other than that everything else is perfect

Update on the lock cover, it has popped up again. I took it into VW Liverpool yesterday and a new one again has been ordered in. The service guy said the lock cover is completely warped.

Hopefully it wont happed again otherwise it must be something internal that is causing the cover to warp..

Flaps
24-04-2008, 02:14 PM
My passenger lock cover is also a little warped. Is it that much of a deal?

MissVuks
24-04-2008, 02:21 PM
yup - cos it stops the lock from popping through and sometimes i cant get the passenger side door to open. It sometimes takes 5 or 6 attempts to get it open. its freaking annoying, especially in the rain when your trying to let the passenger in but the door wont open..

plus the fact if i left it unfixed - my dad would crack it saying - i told you so, why did you buy that polo, its nothing but problems, you havnt even had it for half a year and its already falling apart. LOL i do this to keep my dad happy and to stop him nagging..

Flaps
24-04-2008, 03:04 PM
lol that's fair enough then!

mitch_gti
24-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Im not sure what you are all doing to your poor little Polo's.

But i havent had a single problem.
:)

cliffo
24-04-2008, 04:22 PM
My passenger lock cover is also a little warped. Is it that much of a deal?

Mine is the same.

It'll be due for the 12month service soon so might get them to look at it then as its not worth a special trip given it hasn't given me any grief.

Piotr
01-05-2008, 08:53 AM
2008 Polo GTI
2500 KMS
Daily use

Just a couple of little niggly things

1. Cup holder in dash is stuck and wont pop out

FIX: dealer has ordered a new one ($280!)

2. Sometimes its hard to get out of reverse.

FIX: workshop has adjusted linkage didn't help much will replace gearbox oil when they do cup holder.

Otherwise great little car. having to keep finding excuses to drive it :)

FL00DY
01-05-2008, 09:26 AM
2008 Polo GTI
2500 KMS
Daily use

Just a couple of little niggly things

1. Cup holder in dash is stuck and wont pop out

FIX: dealer has ordered a new one ($280!)

2. Sometimes its hard to get out of reverse.

FIX: workshop has adjusted linkage didn't help much will replace gearbox oil when they do cup holder.

Otherwise great little car. having to keep finding excuses to drive it :)

When you say $280, they didn't charge you did they?

Piotr
01-05-2008, 10:11 AM
No, its under warranty.

FL00DY
01-05-2008, 10:17 AM
No, its under warranty.

Yeah I know, just the way I read it made me think they made you pay for it.

wakdog
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Make - Polo Tdi
Kms - 19500
Mods - None
Car Usage - Daily use

Problem - Engine

Description - Was driving along, shifted to 5th gear applied throttle and was greeted by a loud scraping sort of noise for about 5sec, followed by copious amounts of smoke from exhaust. Upon parking the vehicle 100m down the road, oil spotted dripping from exhaust.

Fix - Got it towed back to the dealer, it requires a whole new engine, apparently a fault with the turbo, allowed oil to pass back into the engine and it has suffered some sort of failure (I have not been told much about it apart from the fact that it is a fault that is being covered under warranty) 4-5 weeks wait for a new engine :(

DaveMack
08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Make - Polo Tdi
Kms - 19500
Mods - None
Car Usage - Daily use

Problem - Engine

Description - Was driving along, shifted to 5th gear applied throttle and was greeted by a loud scraping sort of noise for about 5sec, followed by copious amounts of smoke from exhaust. Upon parking the vehicle 100m down the road, oil spotted dripping from exhaust.

Fix - Got it towed back to the dealer, it requires a whole new engine, apparently a fault with the turbo, allowed oil to pass back into the engine and it has suffered some sort of failure (I have not been told much about it apart from the fact that it is a fault that is being covered under warranty) 4-5 weeks wait for a new engine :(

Ouch! Bad luck, Mate.

Dave

xposdu
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Hello boys and girls,

Problem: Crunching noise when changing from 1st to 2nd between 4-6000rpm.

1st fix: apparently a recall by VW for putting the wrong gearbox fluid in vehicle. changed fluid.(This did not work)

2nd fix: Full replacement of second gear after having to replicate the noise with one of the mechanics in the car.

Will be interesting to see how this goes, i am still running it in, so will report back on it later. This was all done under warranty.

DBM
09-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi all ... please help

MAKE - Aug '06 POLO GTI
KMS - 7800km
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - Daily, short drive to work

Problem: Whilst driving along, power is removed momentarily to all electrical systems affecting the Radio, Power Steering, ESP, ABS etc. When the power comes back on, not all electrical systems necessarily work (eg No power steering or ESP switched off and cannot be turned back on. In both cases switching the ignition off and on again fixes the problem ... until the next time).

The problem often seems to happen turning right, and the last time the problem was fixed, I believe they found some points to the power steering were loose.

Just happened again and this will be the 6th time that I have returned the car for the same fault. :mad:

I am in Adelaide, and getting the dealer to look at it ... there is only 1 VW dealer in Adelaide.

Anyone else who has had similar issues ...

Thanks

jasn78
09-06-2008, 02:48 PM
hey guys just noticed one thing that seems to be common on this problems page. Guys with no mods seem to be having more problems then guys with mods :)

09-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Maybe we're just lucky Jas - either that or we don't comment on them hehe!

jasn78
09-06-2008, 03:10 PM
yeah good point jon will shut my mouth :)

Blitzen
09-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Make: Nov 2007 Polo GTI
KM: 11,200
Mods: Rear Sway Bar, Froge BOV, APR Torque Arm Bush, K&N Panel Filter
Usage: Daily running to work, Cruising on the weekends.

Problem: After buying the car in January 2008 in Penrith, I drove the car up to Darwin. For the length of the 4,000km trip myself and my father noticed the Air Conditioning system loosing its coolness(We thought this may have been because the outside ambient temperature being nearly 50 degrees had something to do with it).
Upon arriving in Darwin, the A/C system had dumped all of its refrigerant(an absolute bastard in the Darwin Wet season!!)

Fix: Took the car to the local dealership where they re gassed the system, and added a detection dye to the system too.
Dumped the gas for a second time. Was told that there was a hole in the condenser from a bird strike, even though there was no leak detected there, and that I would have to pay $800+labour for a new condenser. A leak was however detected in the drivers foot well with a sniffer. I refused to pay for a new condenser, and told them to replace the T/X Valve, and Evaporator.
4 months later with no A/C, and many unreturned phone calls, the parts arrive, and the problem has finally been fixed!! Yay, I have A/C again!!

russ83
15-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Problem: Drivers seat leather stitching coming undoneFix: Being looked at 22nd april

Had the whole upright leather section replaced. 2 tone seats now :(

Problem: Fog light glass lens smashed to pieces
Fix: Another call to VW.......

firdausasri
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Manufactured Date: January 2008
Mileage: 1500kms

Problems:
- Rattling noise at the back, suspected something to do with rear board.
- Way beyond claimed fuel consumption avg 10.5-11.5ltrs/100kms i.e. 40lts for > 340kms

VW GTI
03-07-2008, 04:55 PM
- Way beyond claimed fuel consumption avg 10.5-11.5ltrs/100kms i.e. 40lts for > 340kms

Let me know the outcome of that, I have been lucky to go under 11l/100km with mine.

callen
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM

I second that, I am getting about the same fuel consumpion and would be interested to see if this is normal????

Blitzen
03-07-2008, 09:44 PM
My fuel consumption has been ok, but worse since I added the semi slicks. Worst I have seen on mine was 10.5 to the 100, but that was driving through the outback, in summer with the A/C on and sitting on just over the old ton. I was pretty impressed by that.

firdausasri
04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, quite dissapointed with the FC, my prev mildly modded Satria GTi is more frugal. Gonna do baseline dyno tomorrow and see how she's doing, probably the AF ratio a wee bit richer than supposed to..

Blitzen,

Understand that you're runnning on after-market chip, can you share your dyno sheet. Would like to see how healthy the graph is.

Sharkie
05-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Way beyond claimed fuel consumption avg 10.5-11.5ltrs/100kms i.e. 40lts for > 340kms

It depends on a number things.....

10.5-11.5 is not abnormal for the 1.8T.

What is the milage on your car? Its FC improves from about 8000kms onwards regardless of mods.

lead footed driving can see the FC skyrocket.

Taking it easy in commuting I can see 9l/100km. Being aggresive I can see 11l/100km under the same conditions.

Really hammering it can see 19l/100km (I've seen 29l/100km for an entire tank once .... )

Cruising on the highway can see (and often do) 6.4l/100km

Take the brick out of you shoe and enjoy the economy....:driver:

MACCAA
05-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I thimk a lot of it is how you drive it,and traffic conditions.I average 8.5l/100 around town,usually 7-7.5l/100 on a trip.
Yesterday I drove to Wakefield,maybe 10k/hr slower than usual.Did 6.6l/100 on the way down and 5.9l/100 on the way back.
10k/hr extra makes a BIG difference.
And that's with an Oettinger reflash and full exhaust.
Cheers
Len

Timbo
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Did 6.6l/100 on the way down and 5.9l/100 on the way back.
Yeah, but I'm convinced your car is a freak! :eek: Being "good" on that same trip, I'm about 6.9L/100 Canberra to Sydney, and 7.4 on the return. And, driving your car in Sydney, it's at least 1.0L/100 more economical than mine.

What do other Oettinger flashed cars get?

firdausasri
06-07-2008, 01:33 AM
It depends on a number things.....

10.5-11.5 is not abnormal for the 1.8T.

What is the milage on your car? Its FC improves from about 8000kms onwards regardless of mods.

lead footed driving can see the FC skyrocket.

Taking it easy in commuting I can see 9l/100km. Being aggresive I can see 11l/100km under the same conditions.

Really hammering it can see 19l/100km (I've seen 29l/100km for an entire tank once .... )

Cruising on the highway can see (and often do) 6.4l/100km

Take the brick out of you shoe and enjoy the economy....:driver:

Sharkie,

At the moment about 1600kms. Did dyno the car today, reading on wheel 140.5PS (5K rpm), 215Nm torque (2K-4.5K rpm) and max boost .91. Considering standard transmission loss about 15%, reading on engine, 165PS and 252Nm torque. However, the graph shows the power delivery isn't smooth due to emission control and exhaust, and AF ratio is 1:14, very lean for forced induction engine

Y2008
08-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Make: 2008 Polo GTI
Kms: 280
Car Usage: Not decided yet :driver:

Problem: Accelerator pedal

Description: Aluminum pedal cover just slipped off so i just set it aside, wouldn't want it happening while I was driving.

Fix: None yet

Problem: Metallic rattling noise from the back side

Description: Random rattling noise coming from the back, sounds like something loose in the exhaust, its a "tinny" metal sound, like a snare drum rattle.

Fix: first time to hear it today.

Kev_GTI
03-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Make: 2007 polo GTI
Km: ~30,000
Usage: Daily use

Ive had pretty much the same problems... plus a few more

Problem 1: accelerator pedal

Description: I bought my car near-new about a year ago with only 6000 km on the clock. Didn't notice at the time, but the alloy sports pedal cover was missing (I assume it came loose and the guy i bought it off removed it).

Fix: Tried to scam a new one under warranty but service rep said he needs the part to get it re-fitted under warranty. Said i "lost it" and he gave me a quote for new one for around $280 not including cost to fit the pedal.

Problem 2: Rattle from rear-driver's side of car (sounds tinny like loose speaker or something?)

Description: Rattling noise getting worse. Can hear it even when driving along on relatively smooth road

Fix: Told dealer about problem when i took it in for service. When i picked the car up service rep said they "could not fault it". Told me to bring the car back if it does it again whenever i happen to be passing by (this is kinda hard when i work long hours 5 days a week and dealer service is closed on weekend). The rattling started as soon as i drove out of the carpark. Problem persists... and is pretty damn annoying. Overall pretty unhappy with service centre (denlo parramatta). had 30,000k service done and they didnt even fill out my log book properly or stick a new service reminder on windscreen. Also, oil stains on engine cover and all over engine bay. pretty crap when service costs nearly $600

Problem 3: Gearbox crunch when shifting from 1st to 2nd

Description: Standard problem with crunching from 1st to 2nd

Fix: Synchro for 2nd gear replaced under warranty. Shifts beautifully now with no problems so far

Problem 4: Mild oil leak from rubber seals??

Description: I had the car inspected by a mechanic before i bought it and he said there was a minor oil leak. Said this was a pretty common thing for some new cars

Fix: Fixed under warranty. Some rubber seals of some description replaced? no probs so far

Problem 5: other minor creaks and rattles

Description: Random rattles and creaks from dash and doors that come and go

Fix: trying to ignore them and convince myself that it doest really bother me!

Other than that, car is awesome (seriously)

firdausasri
13-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Problem 2: Rattle from rear-driver's side of car (sounds tinny like loose speaker or something?)

Description: Rattling noise getting worse. Can hear it even when driving along on relatively smooth road

Fix: Told dealer about problem when i took it in for service. When i picked the car up service rep said they "could not fault it". Told me to bring the car back if it does it again whenever i happen to be passing by (this is kinda hard when i work long hours 5 days a week and dealer service is closed on weekend). The rattling started as soon as i drove out of the carpark. Problem persists... and is pretty damn annoying. Overall pretty unhappy with service centre (denlo parramatta). had 30,000k service done and they didnt even fill out my log book properly or stick a new service reminder on windscreen. Also, oil stains on engine cover and all over engine bay. pretty crap when service costs nearly $600

I've this problem too, sent to dealer and guess what they couldn't spot also. I'm thinking if getting the car jacked up and knock the exhaust pipe with sledgehammer :brutal:

RhysQ
13-08-2008, 11:54 AM

i have a similar sound coming from my passenger side door and one from in behind my glove box. its getting louder every week and i'm starting to get sick of it. even 'philthy' picked up on it within a few seconds of being in my car, thats how noticeable it is.... :(

i shall try my luck at Gold Coast VW and see if they can do anything about it/find the problem. if they can find the problem it may be something related to yours, so you can have a round 2 with denlo accompanied by some minor instructions. :n:

Cheers,
Rhys

DaveMack
13-08-2008, 11:56 AM
;202036']i have a similar sound coming from my passenger side door and one from in behind my glove box. its getting louder every week and i'm starting to get sick of it. even 'philthy' picked up on it within a few seconds of being in my car, thats how noticeable it is.... :(

i shall try my luck at Gold Coast VW and see if they can do anything about it/find the problem. if they can find the problem it may be something related to yours, so you can have a round 2 with denlo accompanied by some minor instructions. :n:

Cheers,
Rhys

I've got the same in the driver's door. Jimmy has figured out exactly what it is and is going to fix it when he fits my ... oops. :duh:

Dave

RhysQ
13-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I've got the same in the driver's door. Jimmy has figured out exactly what it is and is going to fix it when he fits my ... oops. :duh:

Dave

spit it dave, spit it! FMIC by any chance?

when he fixes the problem can you please let us know what it is so i can get my mech to sort it out.

DaveMack
13-08-2008, 12:00 PM
;202040']spit it dave, spit it! FMIC by any chance?

when he fixes the problem can you please let us know what it is so i can get my mech to sort it out.

OK ... don't tell anyone Rhys ... Johan (Sharkie) had one FMIC left. :biggrin:

Dave

Kev_GTI
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Took the car back to the dealer for the rattle problem. Went for a drive with one of the mechanics and it turns out its a suspension problem. Going to order some part to replace some suspension mounting?? hopefully this fixes it.
kinda gotten used to the noise tho!
I think i read about this problem on some of the previous posts... apparently its pretty common.

anyways thanks for ur help :)

mr_walker
07-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Took the car back to the dealer for the rattle problem. Went for a drive with one of the mechanics and it turns out its a suspension problem.

I've got a knocking sound in my right rear wheel area - might be the same thing. Hoping to take it in to the dealer this week.

Kiel_GTI
08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Problem: Squeak/rattle in the dash...behind the steering wheel kinda area.

When taken in for service told them about it they put some foam stuff to stop plastic rubbing against each other.
told if it still made noise have to take it back to have whole dash disassembled.

still making noise. grrrr.

might live with it for a bit cbf'd taking it in for a whole day.

next service perhaps.

PogoAmy
08-09-2008, 09:36 AM
By process of elimination I eventually tracked the worst rattle I had - which sounds much as you described - to the bottom half of the steering column cover.

The dealer put something in there and it now behaves itself.

The door trim still rattles sometimes, but I'm kind of used to it I guess. :brutal:

Cheers!
PogoAmy.

Kev_GTI
08-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Problem: Squeak/rattle in the dash...behind the steering wheel

Yeh i get the same sort of noise but only when the interior of the car is hot (like if the car has been sitting in the sun). Sounds like its coming from behind the speedo/tacho display.

It stops after a while when the inside of the car cools down. Must be plastic expanding then shrinking with the change in temp.

Im kinda apprehensive about getting it checked out tho, if the dealer service guys rip ur dashboard apart looking for a problem and then put it back together, i reckon u would end up with more rattle/squeaks. just my paranoid feelings tho...

Kiel_GTI
08-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Im kinda apprehensive about getting it checked out tho, if the dealer service guys rip ur dashboard apart looking for a problem and then put it back together, i reckon u would end up with more rattle/squeaks. just my paranoid feelings tho...

yes i think they took the steering wheel off and didnt put it on right or something when i took it in because seems to veer to the right when the wheel is dead straight.

just an excuse to have the music louder i guess. :)

Kev_GTI
08-09-2008, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=PoloGTIBoy;213382]yes i think they took the steering wheel off and didnt put it on right or something when i took it in because seems to veer to the right when the wheel is dead straight.
QUOTE]

yeh i also have this tiny hair-line crack in my dash just under the headlight switch, about 5mm in length. Hardly notice it but i thought i might as well get it fixed under warranty anyways. Dealer ordered the replacement part which was actually the WHOLE dashboard, its one big piece. i decided against getting it fixed because i figured it would just create more problems potentially eg. rattles and creaks. Apparently they would have to take out airbags etc to put the new dash in. so i just live with the cracked dash

firdausasri
13-09-2008, 01:36 PM
(Update)
Manufactured Date: January 2008
Mileage: 6500kms

Problems:
- Rattling noise at the back, suspected something to do with rear board.
-> Fixes: Rear right dampers mounting

-> Town driving 10-11ltrs/100kms, urban 8-9ltrs/100kms

VW GTI
13-09-2008, 01:44 PM
-> Town driving 10-11ltrs/100kms, urban 8-9ltrs/100kms

I don't think that's a problem. That's the way you drive it.

firdausasri
14-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I've got heavy foot sometimes :D

GTI_jim
04-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Model: 08' build GTI
KM's: 860

Problems:

- drivers side mirror loose as hell along with rubber window sill

- residue (aparent from purchase) on drivers wheel and on passenger side of roof and bonnet.

- loose feel in gears (about 2cm play in every gear)???
+ Won't go into 5th gear 4 times out of 10.

Will take to dealer after 1500 km mark. :frown:

mr_walker
04-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I've got a knocking sound in my right rear wheel area - might be the same thing. Hoping to take it in to the dealer this week.

Problem: Loud rattle/knocking sound when on rough roads/bumps - could sound like it comes from beneath the centre (or strangely, the rear) of the car.

Fix: Dealer replaced control links on front sway bar - said the ball joints were worn.

Giallorosso
04-10-2008, 06:31 PM
My rubber window surrounds (exterior) look dull/faded and have watermarks on them.

Anyone know what would be best to polish them with?

hkogti
08-10-2008, 10:57 AM
mine looks like that since new...

JCM308
08-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I've got exactly the same issue. Any fixes would be great, it's been driving me nuts since I got my Polo.

Blitzen
08-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Armour All will fix that up.

Guy_H
08-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Try the exterior trim protector "303 Aerospace"

http://www.waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=9

pixl
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I use a general purpose cleaner and then protect it with OCW -- Makes them look how they're supposed to.

Kev_GTI
18-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I started using turtle wax ice liquid wax a few months ago. I think its a good product because u can apply it to shine/protect pretty much everything on the car. It works well on rubber and plastic.

I use it on the rubber trim around the windows and they come up perfectly, it lasts for ages too (this sounds like an ad for turtlewax). It works well tho...

PirelliAC
30-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Has anyone had a problem with a knocking in the front suspension when going over small bumps at low speed?

ACTGTI
04-12-2008, 10:45 PM
I get that, but it happens so rarely.

Timbo
05-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Check the tie rods to the front sway bar. They may need some adjustng, or you may need to get adjustables (no big deal)

John 98 Polo
15-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

Just recently, and about 75% of the time, I'm having great difficulty in selecting 1st gear. It's a 1.6 with rod selectors. There's no crunching and all other gear changes are OK. I've got a Haynes manual which has an adjustment procedure for the rod selectors, but their drawing looks nothing like the mechanism below the gear lever gaiter. Totally different design.

Does anyone know how to adjust these linkages, or alternatively, know of a reputable VW mechanic in the estern suburbs of Melbourne.

cheers

robbo7444
05-03-2009, 05:03 PM
No! No! No! armour all is crap!!!
I only use stuff called polyglaze dash & trim care , It used to be called solar care but they changed name sometime in last 2 yrs. Use it on everything inside and out, tyres, dash, bumpers etc.
I have 06 gti and used it on window rubbers from day 1 still look pretty good.
always get black smear on rag when wiping tho...

Stuwey
06-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Dashboard rattle. Worse in mild weather (not cool, not hot) been back twice. never fixed.

Driver's door has something rattling around in there. Not funny. Again, worse with tempetature. Seems like a fairly serious piece of kit banging around though.

Clunks through the driveline. Could be pad knock, but i'm thinking driveshafts.

Motor now making noise. Up top, on the front of the motor, behind the timing covers.

Not real impressed, and another two weeks before it can get in....

leasaunce
06-03-2009, 07:52 PM
has anyone here filed a complaint to VW australia?? or am I the only one?

Piotr
06-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Driver's door has something rattling around in there. Not funny. Again, worse with tempetature. Seems like a fairly serious piece of kit banging around though.

Had the same issue. Dealership has ordered a new channel something or other for drivers door. still waiting for it.

Glide_GTI
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 11,000
MODS - None
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Radio
FIX - ?

my car started doing this too?? did you get it fixed?

FL00DY
09-03-2009, 08:40 AM
my car started doing this too?? did you get it fixed?

I believe a few have had it fixed with a SW update on their radio's ??? I get it sometimes too.

JCM308
12-03-2009, 12:47 PM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 22,000
MODS - BOV and asthetics
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Air Con
DESCRIPTION - Air con started to blow hot air.
FIX - AC compressor faulty. Replaced under warranty

Kiel_GTI
12-03-2009, 04:49 PM
has anyone here filed a complaint to VW australia?? or am I the only one?

i have filed a complaint to VWA about the quality of service at a certain Perth dealership.

VWA need to know what some of their dealerships are doing.

RhysQ
12-03-2009, 05:12 PM
MAKE - '06 POLO GTI
KMS - 42,000
MODS - APR V2, BOV, BMC filter, SEAT intake
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Engine light intermittently on.
DESCRIPTION - Faulty o2 (front lambda probe) sensor.
FIX - Replaced under warranty.

RhysQ
12-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I have a grinding/clunking noise that I can also feel through the clutch when I take off from idle. When I lift my foot off the clutch in gear, about half way up I can feel it grinding on something. When I am going slowly (only in 1st gear) over bumps, there is clunking noise coming from under the car, I can also feel this through the clutch.

Is my gearbox about to fall apart?? My gear changes feel the same as before, but these noises have just started :(:(

philthy
26-03-2009, 11:42 AM
MAKE - POLO GTI
KMS - 61,000
MODS - Nil
CAR USAGE - DAILY

PROBLEM - Brakes
DESCRIPTION - Front R/H caliper sticking, chewed out pad & damaged rotor.
FIX - New caliper, front discs and pads. Replaced under warranty.

Big ups to James Frizelle Southport. :)

-Phil

PeterHBne
30-03-2009, 01:44 PM
;294406']I have a grinding/clunking noise that I can also feel through the clutch when I take off from idle. When I lift my foot off the clutch in gear, about half way up I can feel it grinding on something. When I am going slowly (only in 1st gear) over bumps, there is clunking noise coming from under the car, I can also feel this through the clutch.

Is my gearbox about to fall apart?? My gear changes feel the same as before, but these noises have just started :(:(

Hmmm - see my thread - sort of the same but mine is REALLY bad

marko
30-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Make: polo GTI
Year: 2008
Km's: 5500

Problem, after about 1500km noticed an oil leak underneath. Into the dealership it went..after 7 days:eek: they decided it was a turbo seal and (apparently) installed a new turbo.
Didn't check it for about 6 months (silly me assumed problem was fixed), found oil leak underneath in same spot. Dealership had it for 5 days...another new turbo put on (wtf!!).
When questioned they said it was a sealed unit and if the particular seal that is causing the problem goes, it's a whole new turbo required...but according to the service advisor they had never seen it in a polo gti before:duh: So, I've now had 2 new turbo's in a car less than 6000kms old...let's hope this is problem solved.

mikepologti
30-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Problem, after about 1500km noticed an oil leak underneath. Into the dealership it went..after 7 days:eek: they decided it was a turbo seal and (apparently) installed a new turbo.
Didn't check it for about 6 months (silly me assumed problem was fixed), found oil leak underneath in same spot. Dealership had it for 5 days...another new turbo put on (wtf!!).
When questioned they said it was a sealed unit and if the particular seal that is causing the problem goes, it's a whole new turbo required...but according to the service advisor they had never seen it in a polo gti before:duh: So, I've now had 2 new turbo's in a car less than 6000kms old...let's hope this is problem solved.

holy sh#t, thats like the first time ive evan heard of our polos having this problem.

marko
30-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Dude, I know. I couldn't believe it when they told me it was the same problem the second time. Seems to me that if it was the turbo (twice), then there was a faulty batch of turbos produced (who makes our turbos anyway?) then VW should be issuing a recall. The problem is I am not good at being an assh0le. I should have demanded to speak to the service manager and got a straight answer!

Chuck
30-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Dude, I know. I couldn't believe it when they told me it was the same problem the second time. Seems to me that if it was the turbo (twice), then there was a faulty batch of turbos produced (who makes our turbos anyway?) then VW should be issuing a recall. The problem is I am not good at being an assh0le. I should have demanded to speak to the service manager and got a straight answer!

I smell John Hughes Service Centre...am i correct?

mikepologti
31-03-2009, 04:51 AM

or it makes you kinda wonder weather it was somthing , somewhere else in the engine causing the problem. yeah thats my problem not a big enough a$$hole , then again i dont hear many callings for a$$hole nurses lol

marko
31-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I smell John Hughes Service Centre...am i correct?

on the money there bumpnuck!

mikepologti
02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
thank god hes in perth lmao

marko
02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
thank god hes in perth lmao

Hey back off man, Perth rocks! Don't ya know we've got a big..um...ferris wheel thing now which is our claim to fame? :nana:
So far so good though. Put some white paper down in the carport and no oil since i've had it back.

kman_wa
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
MAKE - 06 POLO GTI
KMS - 20k
MODS - NONE
CAR USAGE - Daily Drive

PROBLEM - Gearbox
DESCRIPTION - I've lost reverse... yesterday and this morning had a couple of crunching noises getting into reverse. Now the car refuses to get into reverse.
FIX - Taking it to the dealer tomorrow, reading through what other have gone through I get the feeling that I'll be without a car for a while... :(

Has anyone on here had to deal with VW Osborne Park Perth with this kind of thing?

langers_sydney
07-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Make : Polo GTI 2008
Kms :- 17500
Car Usage : Daily
Problem : First gear occasional bunnyhop

Description: Weird, not had a problem for ages but just recently and getting more regular I shoot off in first only for the car to bunnyhop 5 or six times, almost like a fuel pump thing prior to settling down. Did at at the lights today, my foots steady on pedal and defo not pumping the clutch.

Fix: Any ideas? Might have to take it back to Barloworld.

BLAKROC
17-04-2009, 06:47 PM
MAKE: Polo GTI 06
Kms: 44k
MODS: None.. yet
Car Usage: Daily
Problem: Gearbox.
DESCRIPTION: Occasional crunch from 1st to 2nd over the last 3 or 4 months, sometimes pretty harsh. Experienced in high and low revs. Previously experienced similar crunching about 2 yrs ago at which point the gearbox oil was replaced to a mineral based oil, instead of synthetic (?)
FIX: Just got back from 45k service this avo at Skippers VW, they've had a closer look this time and decided to replace 2nd and 3rd gear with new ones. Should have the parts mid next week. Hopefully get a r32 loan car:eek::biggrin:
All driving okay atm.

noone
26-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Make: Polo GTI 2006
Kms : 10,000
Mods: APR ECU, Engine Mounts, H&R Springs
Car Usage: Weekend and evening spool
Ownership: About a month, 1000kms.

Problem: Exhaust Warning
Description: This was picked up before the ECU was done, was a oxygen sensor. Didn't stop me getting the Flash done (thankfully).
Solution: Took it to Chatswood VW (after waiting 2 weeks to get it in there) and was fixed under warranty.

Problem : Cup holder
Description: The thing jammed the second time i'd used it.
Solution: Took it to Chatswood VW (after waiting 2 weeks to get it in there) and was fixed under warranty.

Problem : Rattle #1
Description: The car was fine when i got it (2nd hand, 9300 kms). After getting the tune and a weekend of hard driving, rattles started to pop up all over the dash. Not to bad unless the ground is uneven.
Solution: Not sure yet. In my old Toyota Seca I used folded paper between every crack and panel to deaden rattles when I put in 2 x 15" subs (that was fun!). I am considering taking out the dash and getting some silicone, washers and rubber to try and fix it myself. Hoping someone else would have had a crack first (I'm not very good at putting these things back the way they went together).

Problem: Rattle #2
Description: After the cup holder was replaced, I have a new rattle on the drivers side near the wheel arch. Seems to have duplicated to be symetrical.
I'm assuming that when the cup holder was replaced, the dash was not put back properly (or someone dropped a screw somewhere when they were putting it back). Its can be very easy to make happen (1.1K revs).
Solution: When my spare key is ready to be collected, I'll be asking them to have a look at this... Guess I'll ask about the whole dash being noisy...

Problem: Jerky response when slight on and off the accelerator at cruising speeds.
Description: This is only since APR V2 Tune. Its not an issue when I'm alone as I don't drive softly, but when the GF is in the car, would like to offer a smooth ride (between gunning it).
Solution: Hopefully Seat intake mod, BMC air filter and dual port boost valve will help. If not, will make the car somewhat better anyways :)

With my 3yr warranty running out soon, I'm not sure what path to take given some of the expensive issues I've been reading on here... Might be worth getting the warranty extended? I don't put a lot of K's on tho, so seems silly to have to pay good money every 6 months for very little driving.

imprompt
03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
cup holder is jammed :)

Can I just take it to the VW service centre to be fixed? I havn't had take up a new car warranty before?

mr_walker
03-05-2009, 04:08 PM

Can I just take it to the VW service centre to be fixed? I havn't had take up a new car warranty before?

My cup holder broke a spring in one of the folding brackets - I took it in and they replaced the whole module under warranty.

Ralfi
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Mine got jammed when the dealer went to close it as he was showing me my car on pickup. The service centre replaced it within 15-20 minutes.

imprompt
13-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Took it in today, they couldn't fix and had none in stock, so back on friday for a coffee and a new unit.

I have a gap where the cup holder was....

Ralfi
13-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a gap where the cup holder was....
So I guess you could call it a "juice box holder" for now.
;)

Chuck
14-05-2009, 03:49 PM

have you tried depressing the white ball/button on the holder itself and feeding it back in? happens to mine sometimes, the white ball thingo on the holder is a release of some sorts

Ralfi
14-05-2009, 07:29 PM
have you tried depressing the white ball/button on the holder itself and feeding it back in? happens to mine sometimes, the white ball thingo on the holder is a release of some sorts
That white ball button is meant to release the adjustment "grip" of the cup holder, so you can pull it out toward you. Useful, as it saves you from pushing the cup holder all the way back in & out again to fit your cup in.

imprompt
15-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Cup holder fixed under warranty today :)

Backed into pillar at shopping centre later:duh:

quoted so far at $480-$550 to fix (RHR Tail light/ rear mould/bumper fix/paint)

Oh well bad things come in threes, and this was the 3rd so hopefully it'll be ok.

If anyone can recommend a quality and reasonably priced mechanic (preferably not to far from the city <Brisbane>) please PM me.

Ralfi
15-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Sorry to hear that, imprompt.
:frown:

Hope she get's fixed quickly. At least it wasn't a drive-by, where the offender drove off....

JosieH
20-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Make: 2006 TDI Polo
Kms: 35000
Car Usage: Personal (mostly just to and from work daily)

Problem:
1) Power Assist light has come on when turning into a parallel car spot or driveway, a few times the steering has also died but has been resolved after restarting the car. This has happen 6 times in a month (the time that I have owned the car), although the problem has been occurred more to begin with and less often as time has gone on.

2) Noticed headlights did a slight flicker when slowing to pull into a car space a week ago and noted that the clock and trip meter had reset.

Solution: Took back to dealer service centre who can't recreate the problem, therefore no solution has been found.

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Jo

morbo2000
20-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Make: 2006 TDI Polo
Kms: 35000
Car Usage: Personal (mostly just to and from work daily)

Problem:
1) Power Assist light has come on when turning into a parallel car spot or driveway, a few times the steering has also died but has been resolved after restarting the car. This has happen 6 times in a month (the time that I have owned the car), although the problem has been occurred more to begin with and less often as time has gone on.

2) Noticed headlights did a slight flicker when slowing to pull into a car space a week ago and noted that the clock and trip meter had reset.

Solution: Took back to dealer service centre who can't recreate the problem, therefore no solution has been found.

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Jo

I had my power steering cut out a few times early on (including when i drove out of the dealer after delivery). Was diagnosed to be a faulty steering wheel angle sensor. Since that was replaced i haven't had a problem since. If you had your headlights dip and computer/clock reset when it happened once then it sounds like an electrical issue. The powersteering on the polo is electrically operated instead of being driven directly off the motor.

Ben.

pixl
21-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Before I bring it up with my dealer, I wanted to ask here first.

Is anyone else having issues with the carpet and/or cloth seats? I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to looking after my stuff, but I'm finding the carpet is showing excessive signs of wear in such a short time. Not only the carpet, but the seats have an appearance of high usage with "fluffy" patches.

It's been one of my main concerns because at this rate, in two years time, my interior is going to look like crap.

I should also point out that my car has 10,570km and the rear seats have hardly been sat in, but the fluffiness would suggest I'm carting kids around all day.

seangti
21-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Before I bring it up with my dealer, I wanted to ask here first.

Is anyone else having issues with the carpet and/or cloth seats? I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to looking after my stuff, but I'm finding the carpet is showing excessive signs of wear in such a short time. Not only the carpet, but the seats have an appearance of high usage with "fluffy" patches.

It's been one of my main concerns because at this rate, in two years time, my interior is going to look like crap.

I should also point out that my car has 10,570km and the rear seats have hardly been sat in, but the fluffiness would suggest I'm carting kids around all day.

I haven't experienced this (carpet or seats) - cars not 18months yet and 17,000km.

Aether
02-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Problem: Whilst driving along, power is removed momentarily to all electrical systems affecting the Radio, Power Steering, ESP, ABS etc. When the power comes back on, not all electrical systems necessarily work (eg No power steering or ESP switched off and cannot be turned back on. In both cases switching the ignition off and on again fixes the problem ... until the next time).

Anyone having this problem end up getting the issue solved? Friend of mine has asked me to look into it, as they are having identical issues. The dealer has tried replacing battery, alternator etc. And their warranty has just expired, unfortunately, the problem has come back again.

My Polo on the other hand:
MODEL - POLO GTI
KMS - 34K
CAR USAGE - every day

PROBLEM: Air-con
DESCRIPTION: No cooling, happened in the middle of summer. Noticed fluid leaking from the left-hand side of the engine bay.
FIX: Replaced condenser, under warranty.

PROBLEM: Cup-holder
DESCRIPTION: Jammed it in while cleaning the car.
FIX: Service guys were good about it. Replaced under warranty

PROBLEM: Speaker
DESCRIPTION: Buzzing from the left-hand rear speaker
FIX: Replaced under warranty.

Kev_GTI
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Hey has any one had an ongoing problem with their rear shock mounts needing to be replaced on there polo gti?

I initially had a rattle coming from the back of the car which was eventually diagnosed as coming from the right rear shock mount. This was replaced, twice at denlo parramatta and once at mcgrath liverpool, and the problem keeps happening. Bringing it back to mcgrath to have it shock mount replaced again. Always on the same side and seems to go only a few weeks after its replaced.

The dealer mechanics dont really have any solution, they seem to think its a problem just with the shock mount (ie. the issue is not related to any other suspension component). Therefore, they just replace the same thing every time. I dont have any suspension mods - my car is pretty much stock. Was thinking of contacting VW australia. Any advice on what i should do?

leasaunce
07-06-2009, 10:25 PM
contact VW, but just before you do that, speak to the regional manager of VW. He usually comes in to the dealer once a month. Then if Regional manager tells you he it's a normal condition, then email or call VW australia and make a formal complain. on the other side, if you still have 1-3yrs of warranty, just keep on replacing it. but then again it's gonna be a hassle for you and the dealer (hopefully by then they'll say "yes its the car's fault")

Kev_GTI
07-06-2009, 10:39 PM
contact VW, but just before you do that, speak to the regional manager of VW. He usually comes in to the dealer once a month. Then if Regional manager tells you he it's a normal condition, then email or call VW australia and make a formal complain. on the other side, if you still have 1-3yrs of warranty, just keep on replacing it. but then again it's gonna be a hassle for you and the dealer (hopefully by then they'll say "yes its the car's fault")

Yeh i'll see how it goes replacing it this fourth time, maybe fourth time lucky:). If not i'll try that. Ive still got about 1.5 years warranty left but what happens when that runs out?!

Thanks for the advice leasaunce. Have you had the same issue??

leasaunce
08-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeh i'll see how it goes replacing it this fourth time, maybe fourth time lucky:). If not i'll try that. Ive still got about 1.5 years warranty left but what happens when that runs out?!

Thanks for the advice leasaunce. Have you had the same issue??

no i have a different issue with VW, I ain't happy with the way they dealt with me. But lets not rant here, so pretty much that's what I did. If they haven't fixed the problem by the time your warranty runs out, just let VW know about it and i'm damn sure they'll compensate you. If no i'll be PPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! :brutal:

Kev_GTI
08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
no i have a different issue with VW, I ain't happy with the way they dealt with me. But lets not rant here, so pretty much that's what I did. If they haven't fixed the problem by the time your warranty runs out, just let VW know about it and i'm damn sure they'll compensate you. If no i'll be PPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! :brutal:

yeh ive had some funny experiences with dealer service too, Hope you sort yours out

Thanks!

Jonathan
21-06-2009, 03:29 AM
hi everyone
i have a leaky wheel that leaks reasonably little when i keep the pressure at ard 250kPa. But the situation got worse after i pumped it up to above 300 for handling. I checked the tire, no nails or something like that, could it be a deformed rim?My polo is running on the original steel wheels

FL00DY
21-06-2009, 11:14 AM
hi everyone
i have a leaky wheel that leaks reasonably little when i keep the pressure at ard 250kPa. But the situation got worse after i pumped it up to above 300 for handling. I checked the tire, no nails or something like that, could it be a deformed rim?My polo is running on the original steel wheels

Swap with the spare, take it to a tyre center and they'll have a big tub of water to submerge and look for any small leaks. This will show if it's leaking from the rim or from a small puncture. Had this happen once, the tyre pressure monitor works a treat.

Bluey9N
22-06-2009, 11:10 AM
PROBLEM: 1st to 2nd Gear Crunch
DESCRIPTION: occasionally crunchs on 1dt to 2nd gear changes, esp if you try and change gear quickly.
FIX: Booked into Lennock VW (ACT) one month from now (is it normal to have to wait a month?)

PROBLEM: Coolant loss.
DESCRIPTION: After long journey (Canberra - Sydney) on restarting next day coolant is below minimum and requires top up. Doesnt do this on a day to day basis but has happened twice on long drives now.
FIX: as above, will update when looked at.

Cygnus
01-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Yep. Exactly the same problem. Had them replaced twice at Denlo. I have front and rear swaybars and front strut brace as my only suspension mods. Since I'm currently off the road, I have not bothered to get them fixed again, looking for an aftermarket solution, not sure if getting coilovers would help?

Hey has any one had an ongoing problem with their rear shock mounts needing to be replaced on there polo gti?

JCM308
06-07-2009, 11:41 AM
DESCRIPTION: occasionally crunchs on 1dt to 2nd gear changes, esp if you try and change gear quickly.
FIX: Booked into Lennock VW (ACT) one month from now (is it normal to have to wait a month?)

Gearbox recall. Search the forum, there's plenty of threads relating to this.

I have had the recall done and it rectified the issue for a short time but now it has returned.

If it has been doing it for a while it may have damaged the gearbox which means a replacement one is in order :D

Bluey9N
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Gearbox recall. Search the forum, there's plenty of threads relating to this.

I have had the recall done and it rectified the issue for a short time but now it has returned.

If it has been doing it for a while it may have damaged the gearbox which means a replacement one is in order :D

Its going in 2 weeks from now, I called about this 2 weeks ago and 21st is the soonest they can fit it in and im worried my warranty will have run out around then.... If i reported the issue prior to manufacturer warranty running out but they couldnt look at it till after its expired will it still be covered?

It apparently has 2 years dealer warranty on it but i dont know what that covers?

ACTGTI
11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I have had a terrible rattle which was coming from what I thought was near where the dash meets the doors on both sides of the car. Anyway, I could never find it until couple of days ago my drivers side headlight bulb blew. When I was changing the bulb over, I noticed a screw was loose on the headlight assembly. I checked the passenger side and it was loose as well. I tightened them and the rattle has completely gone away. :) I now have zero rattles.

I guess you should never discount that the rattle could be coming from somewhere unexpected. I know someone else here was told by a dealer that it was radiator mounts that fixed the rattle. Check you torx screws under the bonnet near the front.

Bluey9N
23-07-2009, 09:04 AM

PROBLEM: Coolant loss.
DESCRIPTION: After long journey (Canberra - Sydney) on restarting next day coolant is below minimum and requires top up. Doesnt do this on a day to day basis but has happened twice on long drives now.
FIX: as above, will update when looked at.

1. Flushed the gearbox, cleared some fault code and its better but still crunches into 2nd if you rush it hard in higher RPM.

2. couldnt find any faults, cleared the fault logs from when it went low and did a pressure test and visual inspection and couldnt find anything. Asked me to monitor it.

Couldnt fit mud flaps due to skirt. Im like :( but its just a ****ty black plastic skirt! Drill into it or summin! nah cant do it.

Got new wipers fitted all round, $130 for all 4 fitted... lucky thats on Starcard.

DeanB
23-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Couldnt fit mud flaps due to skirt. Im like :( but its just a ****ty black plastic skirt! Drill into it or summin! nah cant do it.

I read somewhere (pretty sure it was on here a while back) that someone installed mud flaps on a GTI, they warmed them up so they could "flex" them into position.

I found the post about them .... SEARCH is your friend :) Flipper Dog posts half way down with how to do it.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=22890

Bluey9N
23-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I read somewhere (pretty sure it was on here a while back) that someone installed mud flaps on a GTI, they warmed them up so they could "flex" them into position.

I found the post about them .... SEARCH is your friend :) Flipper Dog posts half way down with how to do it.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=22890

damn lazy dealer!

MissVuks
02-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Has anyone had issues with their airbag harness?

I had my airbag light turn on about 3 weeks ago, had it scannned and sent in for warranty work but they didnt have the part. I waited two weeks to get the part in and only had it fixed on thursday. Today again the airbag fault light is up on my dash.

Common problem or is my polo extra special? I can guarantee you know my car will attract all sorts of bad drivers while i have no airbags :duh:

Ralfi
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Accelerator pedal cover (the metal-looking plastic sports part) decided to come off, just as i'd parked the GTI in the garage (lucky it wasn't while driving).

Solution: It simply slides back onto the pedal, with one side secured to it. & then you need to "wrap" the lips of its' 3 remaining sides around the pedal.

bfeboi
03-08-2009, 01:25 AM
my pedal cover came off when i was down at wakefield park. scared the crap out of me until i drove to park it up and found that it freely slips on and off. When i got home i placed a slight bit of sealant on it and now its all good

dmwdave
09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Problem -loose turbo
car polo gti 08 30,000klms ,found one bolt broken and other two loose on turbo to manifold flange-is this a common problem?

seangti
10-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Problem -loose turbo
car polo gti 08 30,000klms ,found one bolt broken and other two loose on turbo to manifold flange-is this a common problem?

yeah mate, it's not specific to you, do a search in the polo section as it has been discussed in the last few months. A few members were investigating remedies.

marko
19-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Hey gang,
back again with a new problem that I wouldn't mind everyones thoughts on.
A couple of months ago I thought I would check underneath to see if the problem was solved and it does appear to be. However, there was now a spray of oil around the CV joint area (where it goes into the gear box), on the sump and on the torsion bar. there was no oil any higher up. Once more into the dealer, where they reckon it's normal CV joint 'breathing' but put a CV joint kit in anyway. Last week I checked again and same problem so back to the dealer yesterday. They put it up on the hoist while I was there, and got me to come out into the workshop with them. The foreman said it was definitely the CV joint, and when they are packed with grease, some of the grease liquefies and spurts out when hot, until it gets to a level where it will stop doing that. The rest of the engine and turbo area was dry so i know that problem is fixed.
What do you guys reckon, should CV joints leak fluid until they are 'run-in'? Should grease liquefy?.. I thought grease was grease and didn't separate into oil. The dealership have been helpful but I still feel that this isn't right.
Marko

Blitzen
19-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey gang,
What do you guys reckon, should CV joints leak fluid until they are 'run-in'? Should grease liquefy?.. I thought grease was grease and didn't separate into oil. The dealership have been helpful but I still feel that this isn't right.
Marko

I think the foreman is having a lend of you.
From my experiance, grease should not break down into oil, and I have never seen this happen, bar from when oil has migrated past a seal into the grease and broken it down that way. I have never had any dramas with weaping oil past the seals on my Polo's CV boots either.