PDA

View Full Version : VR6 head gasket problems?

worm
09-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Hey guys

Looked at a VR6 a few months back and it had a blown head gasket.. oil under radiator cap and water in oil.. anyhow, my dad had one a few years back and it started to get problems, not sure what it was but may have been head gasket related.. so he off loaded it....

is this coincidence or is it common after a certain amount of km/s

Tim
09-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Im not sure about head gasket problems.
But VR6s are famous for springing coolant leaks from all over the place. Too many plastic bits under the bonnet i think. Especially given 10 years worth of australian weather. Things tend to get brittle
Im sure if u cook em well enuf u will have some sort of head problem.

imported_brackie
10-12-2005, 06:03 AM
I can't comment on the VR6 as I've never owned or driven one, but I've owned and driven a hell of a lot of cars and the type of cylinder head problems being talked about are usually caused by: overheating, poor maintainence (usually lack of coolant changing), failure of a hose or plastic fitting, or warpage caused by incorrect torquing of the head. These things can happen to any car.

Golfwise
12-12-2005, 10:32 PM
It can happen to lots of other cars too ,don't blame the VR6.
Fitting a head gasket is very straight forward.
I wouldn't be off loading my VR6 just because it needed a gasket. Silly that ????

Bug_racer
26-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Blown head gasket ? VR6 ? Yet to see it , unless its running non genuine coolant . Check oil cooler first