PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake too loose

Red Mk1
09-12-2005, 02:13 PM
yeah title says it all...how do i tighten it? is it hard? and how bad is it to park on a hill ion 1st without much handbrake?? does it put strain on the gearbox?

Golf Loon
09-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I always leave cars in gear, in case handbrake fails. Not too much strain on gearbox.

You can take the plastic cover off the handbrake and adjust the cables!

Red Mk1
09-12-2005, 03:24 PM
cheers mate, just tighten with a screw driver? will have a look when i get home...

imported_brackie
09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
If your rear brake shoes are self adjusting, there's a wedge at the top of the shoes. From my experience this often doesn't do what it's designed to do and I've had to manually move it down to adjust the shoes. If your handbrake has excessive clicks before it holds, look at this first.

syncro
09-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Is there any self adjusters left? Most people converted them to manual adjusters years ago.

Red Mk1
09-12-2005, 05:45 PM
right...golfloon any ideas? ive got a mk2 gti 8v 1987...
and have noooo idea what to look for, do ui just bend down and have a look around near the rear wheels for any cables that dont look tight? :? sorry to be so clueless..guess ill only learn by trying to fiddle with things myself though :)

Golfwise
09-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey RED I think you should invest in a workshop manual. :)

Golf Loon
10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Wise words Golfwise.

Marlo, there is not much you can adjust on any car without dismantling things.

You need a couple of spanners and a screwdriver to adjust the handle end and must take the wheel off and adjust things at the wheel end.

If it were only so easy as looking underneath and playing with trailing wires :lol:

Buy a Haynes manual from ebay.