PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrades

jasn78
09-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Guys I know this is probably a stupid question and all but what the heck:) Since the offest for polo gti rims is the same as a wrx would that mean any part of a wrx brake package is possible with hopefully only a little modification to fit. The reason i ask this is i know the usual route for a upgrade is the audi s3 but im sure like me anyone who is looking at that alternative realises how much of a pain in the rear even finding s3 brakes actually are. So any comments would be nice

MACCAA
09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Same offset has nothing to do with brake fitment.It's all to do with calipers and caliper bracket fitment to the original hub,and disc thickness.The Audi brakes fit because the Polo has similar VAG components.
S3 brakes are an option,or custom fitments such as Brembo,but with most of these you need 17" wheels.S3's fit under the standard 16's.
Polo brakes can be improved quite a bit with pad/fluid changes,and removal of the backing plates lets them cool much more efficiently.
Cheers

jasn78
09-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks Macca I already have 17's just not particulary wanting to spend 3 gs on brembos and the likes

h100vw
09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Go and get a price for the caliper brackets and discs from Audi/VW. I have done this on my A3 and got the brackets in from a friend in the UK and some replacement discs from DBA.

Cost was well less than a $1000 with all new parts including green stuff pads. Plus you can take it all off if you sell the car.

Gavin

PoloGTi
09-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I picked up my S3 compo about 1 year ago from some one in Brissy for about $300. The best thing to do would be keep your eyes open and watch to see what comes up. I have had the S3 calipers and rotors on now for about 2 weeks with a standerd textar pad works really well and dead easy to swap.

MACCAA
10-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Which calipers are you running with the S3 discs?Some are using S3 calipers with the appropriate bracket,but I've also been told you can use the Polo calipers.As the pad size difference isn't much,that would be my first choice.
I believe the Audi caliper bracket is very dear in Australia,something like $400 each according to Guy H,if my memory serves me.
Cheers
Len

h100vw
10-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I paid 170 quid for a pair delivered from the UK which is about that money really.
Gavin

PoloGTi
10-04-2007, 11:17 PM
I cant see how the standerd calipers wich are Lucus and the caliper carries built for the ATE calipers would mate and i dont know if it would work might have a play for you have the standerd ones about the house. Ill let you know.