PDA

View Full Version : VW nationals07.DEBRIEF,no pics.

gpk_gti
08-04-2007, 07:16 PM
hi fellow vwwatercoolers,
just starting a discussion thread(no pics so keep dial uppers happy).lets get this all down as its fresh in our minds!!
We need to know how everyone went?
if everyone was happy with the reception we received from the aircoolers?
any problems or unhappy faces?
did you feel welcome?did you come late and wasnt allowed in?
There will be a meeting with the organising commitee at the end of this month,so we need to know everything.
I for one was not happy with some of the parking organisers,especially one who I have his name!also I was not too happy with the whinging about the stereo from one of the mk3's.(they should go to autosalon and hear the racket!!)I really dont think that the club vdub didnt think that we could attract 50 odd cars,maybe they believed we would fail ???
so please write it all here so me and golf loon can take it with us to the meeting.
Thanks to all that turned out and showed their machines!!!
next year will be even bigger~~!!!:)

phaeton
08-04-2007, 07:30 PM
next year will be even bigger~~!!!:)

because me (phaeton) will be there :p :D

static1800
08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
one thing, weren't we mean to have drive through judging?
I didn't encounter any unhappy faces, i think we were received well.
I for one don't have a problem with the stereo being turned down, i'm trying to talk to people and have a good look around but and am being blasted out by music, it is a family orientated event to celebrate and look at the cars, not a macca's car park on a thursday night.

KI11Z
08-04-2007, 07:33 PM
GUYS! I dont know if anyone else feels this way (though im judging so by the lack of pics of it), that that Green vr6 wid the chromes was so pus, so ricer, so wrong; i certainly wasnt expecting to win anything considering mines so rough and dirty from the run down here, so its nothing like he stole my trophy. the only way i can understand him winning is by the amount of mods?! That seriously wrecked my day . . . ricey chrome rims, not even lowered, stupidly loud and rough stereo intstall; to be honest it looked really cheap . . . sorry if ive offended, but im venting my dissapointment in the judging criteria . . . .

:sad: :???: :confused: :mad:

will speak again in 24hrz or so . . . .

peedman
08-04-2007, 07:38 PM
What did it win? Can someone post the results for the trophies for each category plz :)

Overall i was pretty happy tho perhaps we coulda got better parking space for everyone.

gpk_gti
08-04-2007, 07:46 PM
my car was sprayed with a fine mist from all the rotary bbq.fine oil all over the car!!! parking allocated was terrible

20vkitcar
08-04-2007, 08:01 PM
first it was great to see a record number of golfs, fantastic turnout.....dont spoil your efforts by ripping apart a vw show.......no matter who hosts it ! I think its wrong to assume the aircoolers are some how anti golf..what a load of ****....we are all part of the brethern and many ol skool aircooled people drive new watercooled dubs........bagging them will always make a divide..be on the moral high ground accept and be accepted...enjoy and respect each others cars........the only way to improve is actually rolling up your sleeves and doing some of the work yourself....its a thankless task organising vw shows/events and its even more bitter when people bag your efforts.....i have a foot in both camps..community amongst vw folk is a pleasure..although i didn't display a watercooled we should thank the organizers for their efforts with a view things can only get better and bigger...again what a pleasure to see agreat number of watercooleds,,look back at heritage with pride....... cheers steve

fuzion
08-04-2007, 08:40 PM
steve, very true.

but without knowing the negs you can't also make it any better as well and improve on things, but saying that theres a limit of course.

realistically the biggest on the watercooled side i would be saying better judges (no offense to the judges you did a great job but knowledge of vehicles (mk3/mk4/mk5 etc) i doubt would of been that much, if a lot as well as knowing what mods were done and what was what on each veh from turbo's to the tdi's .....)

having maybe a sponsor of some sort who would be willing to fund the trophies/more categories making it fairer to the watercooled guys as the mk4 and mk5s come in the same category which isn't right! example: tdi's inclusive of the petrols bit unfair to the TDI owners!

general information from the staff on entering on what categories you can enter, parking itself as already mentioned and grouping people could of been much better.

dont get me wrong its a great show and top effort but on the side of organization and fairness towards the watercooled a lot needs to be improved but thats due to numbers / and time of course.

hopefully next year things will just get better and better! just my 2psi

FL00DY
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I for one don't have a problem with the stereo being turned down, i'm trying to talk to people and have a good look around but and am being blasted out by music, it is a family orientated event to celebrate and look at the cars, not a macca's car park on a thursday night.
I agree with the music. It's not needed, you aren't being judged on the db of your stereo like autosalon.

first it was great to see a record number of golfs, fantastic turnout.....dont spoil your efforts by ripping apart a vw show.......no matter who hosts it ! I think its wrong to assume the aircoolers are some how anti golf..what a load of ****....we are all part of the brethern and many ol skool aircooled people drive new watercooled dubs........bagging them will always make a divide..be on the moral high ground accept and be accepted...enjoy and respect each others cars........the only way to improve is actually rolling up your sleeves and doing some of the work yourself....its a thankless task organising vw shows/events and its even more bitter when people bag your efforts.....i have a foot in both camps..community amongst vw folk is a pleasure..although i didn't display a watercooled we should thank the organizers for their efforts with a view things can only get better and bigger...again what a pleasure to see agreat number of watercooleds,,look back at heritage with pride....... cheers steve
We aren't bagging anyone. There have been issues, such as the categories at any show I've been to. I think the problem is that we don't really have a proper club. Forums are great, but it's clubs with membership money & passionate people that get things done (not saying Golf loon and gpk_gti aren't passionate :) ).

fuzion
08-04-2007, 09:05 PM
We aren't bagging anyone. There have been issues, such as the categories at any show I've been to. I think the problem is that we don't really have a proper club. Forums are great, but it's clubs with membership money & passionate people that get things done (not saying Golf loon and gpk_gti aren't passionate :) ).

i concure! .. very true, thts one of the key problem!

but theres plenty of time to improve things, threats and kidnapping works these days howeve....;)

static1800
08-04-2007, 09:20 PM
look at it this way, it was our first proper effort at doing the nats, we got 50 or so cars, don't quote me but i doubt the aircooled guys go that many cars on there first try. I think we should be very proud of what we achieved. Obviously yes things can be improved, but for our first attempt i thing it was awesome.

p.s - we need more mk2's!!!

Golf Loon
08-04-2007, 09:26 PM
but without knowing the negs you can't also make it any better as well and improve on things, but saying that theres a limit of course.

realistically the biggest on the watercooled side i would be saying better judges (no offense to the judges you did a great job but knowledge of vehicles (mk3/mk4/mk5 etc) i doubt would of been that much, if a lot as well as knowing what mods were done and what was what on each veh from turbo's to the tdi's .....)

Thats quite right mate. No worries if you want to step up and do some judging next year, feel free. It was a thankless task and I dont mind if I dont have to do ita again.

having maybe a sponsor of some sort who would be willing to fund the trophies/more categories making it fairer to the watercooled guys as the mk4 and mk5s come in the same category which isn't right! example: tdi's inclusive of the petrols bit unfair to the TDI owners!

The number of trophys is not a problem, Club VeeDub are happy to offer more, but its very hard if people wont commit to showing up.
In previous years there have been barely a handful of Mk4s and 5s. Based on this year, more trophies and categories next year is a good idea, BUT ONLY if you guys and more actually turn up.

general information from the staff on entering on what categories you can enter, parking itself as already mentioned and grouping people could of been much better.

dont get me wrong its a great show and top effort but on the side of organization and fairness towards the watercooled a lot needs to be improved but thats due to numbers / and time of course.

hopefully next year things will just get better and better! just my 2psi

Its easy to sit outside the group and bag out everyones efforts, but it is much harder to actually get involved and have a go. I joined the club, as did George, Brenton and a few others on here and then as club members, we have a voice that can be listened to, rather than heckling from the sidelines. Thanks to everyone who VOLUNTEERED to be a Judge, or help with parking or organizing and anyone who thinks they could do it better, should VOLUNTEER to help next year.

I thought it was fairer this year than previous years, even though there was no prize for me. I worked all day and all I got was a lousy shirt :D
It was wonderful to see so many Watercooled cars and their owners on display and I hope that we can keep this momentum going and make the scene bigger and better for everyone.

Looking forward to the next cruise already.

FL00DY
08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
look at it this way, it was our first proper effort at doing the nats, we got 50 or so cars, don't quote me but i doubt the aircooled guys go that many cars on there first try. I think we should be very proud of what we achieved. Obviously yes things can be improved, but for our first attempt i thing it was awesome.

p.s - we need more mk2's!!!

We had the same problems last year at the Autofest in Canberra. My Polo even got lumped in with the Golfs pffft :rolleyes:

fuzion
08-04-2007, 09:31 PM
I thought it was fairer this year than previous years, even though there was no prize for me. I worked all day and all I got was a lousy shirt :D
It was wonderful to see so many Watercooled cars and their owners on display and I hope that we can keep this momentum going and make the scene bigger and better for everyone.

Looking forward to the next cruise already.

glad you got a shirt, was sick of seeing you run around topless!

i completely agree with what your saying, the numbers have to be proven to provide more trophies/awards as your saying.

but least as mentioned it was proved a lot of people (watercooled) were interested and came along, but as you said why the hell did they do it on such a significant day who knows! im sure it stopped a fair few people from coming due to family & friend gatherings for easter but what can you do!

bigger and better each year

gpk_gti
08-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree with the music. It's not needed, you aren't being judged on the db of your stereo like autosalon.

I wish we had the money to do this sort of thing on our own!!

there was a bajabug(think thats what u call it)with its stereo on loudly towards the top and no one asked for that to turn it down.I myself dont like loud systems,so im trying just to be fair...
drive through judging was canned due to the aircooled judging starting late,and because we had a lot less cars so easier for us to park and be judged.
as for bagging aircooled,im not bagging anyone!! only saying in years past we have been feeling the cool air a bit,get it?? I for one went a few years ago and was laughed at my modded vr6.and just to be clear I told the current commitee about my previous experience with the nats and what I have heard from fellow watercoolers.I spoke with Bob(large fellow with goatee) before I left and he asked me to find out if everyone was happy and if there were any problems.we want next year not to be the same but MUCH BETTER if its possible.we can only do this if we all confer and get all our good and bad experiences out.
As for the judging,we had a meeting at the last GTG to work out how we would be doing it,and its not much different from the wat CLUB vw do it.all my mods were written down in the judging catagory for the judges to see.

Golf Loon
08-04-2007, 09:35 PM
GUYS! I dont know if anyone else feels this way (though im judging so by the lack of pics of it), that that Green vr6 wid the chromes was so pus, so ricer, so wrong; i certainly wasnt expecting to win anything considering mines so rough and dirty from the run down here, so its nothing like he stole my trophy. the only way i can understand him winning is by the amount of mods?! That seriously wrecked my day . . . ricey chrome rims, not even lowered, stupidly loud and rough stereo intstall; to be honest it looked really cheap . . . sorry if ive offended, but im venting my dissapointment in the judging criteria . . . .

:sad: :???: :confused: :mad:

will speak again in 24hrz or so . . . .

It was very clean though, the guy had obviously polished it for hours and he did get points for number of mods.
He lost points for his stock 2L engine, but clearly pulled through on overall. The interior was very clean too, but stock.

I allowed for dirt from your Journey down on your car, but whilst it would go heaps faster than the green thing, it looks more rough. Missing plastic moulds and tape on the headlights being 2 examples. Dont lets start an arguement, I was glad to meet you and I like your car. Having 4 judges averages out a lot of the subjectivity, which is how that car won over Steves VR6 and your car amongst others.

We learnt a few lessons today and I will put forward suggestions for changes to the format next year to the committee, so if anyone has any points, let me know or come along to a meeting.

Its not our show, I`m just glad that we can become such a big part of it.

Golf Loon
08-04-2007, 09:38 PM
glad you got a shirt, was sick of seeing you run around topless!

i completely agree with what your saying, the numbers have to be proven to provide more trophies/awards as your saying.

but least as mentioned it was proved a lot of people (watercooled) were interested and came along, but as you said why the hell did they do it on such a significant day who knows! im sure it stopped a fair few people from coming due to family & friend gatherings for easter but what can you do!

bigger and better each year

Thats a good point about the date, I`ll put that forward at the meeting.

Keep supporting what is still a fledgling movement in Oz and watch it grow.

static1800
08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
it has always been on easter sunday from memory, cant see it being changed.

gpk_gti
08-04-2007, 09:41 PM
keep it up guys! this is exactly what we need to get out,so when we go to the meeting at the end of the month,we have as much feedback as possible.:)

Golf Loon
08-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Forums are great, but it's clubs with membership money & passionate people that get things done (not saying Golf loon and gpk_gti aren't passionate :) ).

I think the forum is good because there is no commercial interest and no-one controls it. As soon as you have a club and committees and management structures and factions it all just becomes about petty politics and not about the dubs.

There are a few shows on around the place who are welcoming our participation with open arms. The Flat Four club have a show at Miller on November 4th which they would love us to goto, but again they cant offer prizes without an idea of who wants to go.

It would be a huuge operation to organize a show and the vw watercooled massive is not massive enough yet. Much easier to be a part of an existing event and by participation mould it into what you want it to be.

FL00DY
08-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I think the forum is good because there is no commercial interest and no-one controls it. As soon as you have a club and committees and management structures and factions it all just becomes about petty politics and not about the dubs.

There are a few shows on around the place who are welcoming our participation with open arms. The Flat Four club have a show at Miller on November 4th which they would love us to goto, but again they cant offer prizes without an idea of who wants to go.

It would be a huuge operation to organize a show and the vw watercooled massive is not massive enough yet. Much easier to be a part of an existing event and by participation mould it into what you want it to be.

This is very true about the politics. There has been a bit of talk for a GTI Club. For me this would be more about Track Day organisation then shows like this. Knowing that a group 30+ owners could do a track for $130 is what I'd be wanting out of a club.

KI11Z
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
It was very clean though, the guy had obviously polished it for hours and he did get points for number of mods.
He lost points for his stock 2L engine, but clearly pulled through on overall. The interior was very clean too, but stock.

I allowed for dirt from your Journey down on your car, but whilst it would go heaps faster than the green thing, it looks more rough. Missing plastic moulds and tape on the headlights being 2 examples. Dont lets start an arguement, I was glad to meet you and I like your car. Having 4 judges averages out a lot of the subjectivity, which is how that car won over Steves VR6 and your car amongst others.

Just want to say that i fully didnt expect to win prizes, like i said, my VR is very rough and was very dirty, so no reasons need to be given as to why i didnt win it over him. My main gripe is that to me, he has wrecked the golf image by totally riceing it up and pulls of 1st place at THE VW NATIONALS!; To me that sets a precidence as to what judges are looking for in our cars, and too me thats crud! people bag cars wid big shiney wheels and all the doofdoof and yet it seems to win . . . i just hope that this doesnt change peoples views on how to modify their dub on order to win trophies.... :confused:

Tim
08-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Just want to say that i fully didnt expect to win prizes, like i said, my VR is very rough and was very dirty, so no reasons need to be given as to why i didnt win it over him. My main gripe is that to me, he has wrecked the golf image by totally riceing it up and pulls of 1st place at THE VW NATIONALS!; To me that sets a precidence as to what judges are looking for in our cars, and too me thats crud! people bag cars wid big shiney wheels and all the doofdoof and yet it seems to win . . . i just hope that this doesnt change peoples views on how to modify their dub on order to win trophies.... :confused:

we had a similar situation here in vic at day of the volkswagen. one of the mk3s that won was modified cosmetically. and quite untastefully. But he won. And he won fair and square cos his car was the best presented. ugly as a hat full of arseholes and made me want to cry.. but.. he presented his hat full of arseholes better than anyone elses car

KI11Z
08-04-2007, 11:16 PM
well i think its wrong . . . i got into the dub scene to be different, to get away from the cheap ricey carz; It annoys me to think that a non-dubber (he spoke to me and had no idea bout'em) can come into the scene with wat he had, take out first prize in probably the biggest vw show, think that the vw scene is a push over and move on to a skyline the next week. in all the groups that i cruize with back home, that car would only be laughed at, and then to have him turn around and say "I WON FIRST PRIZE IN THE VW NATIONALS", to me thats an insult . . .

Im really sorry to everyone but im really pissed, there were some really nice mk3z there that to me deserved his spot, at least pedros 1st! c'mon . . .

if i wanted to see ricers i would have gone to autosalon! i didnt even bother with brisbanes autosalon, let alone sydneys!! . . . . . . . .

deemoE36
08-04-2007, 11:21 PM
im gonna have to agree with ki11z and Tim, it should be about how well you can present your car which is a reflection of what you want in it and what you like about it, not about whos got more spare cash laying around to spend on a ridiculous mods
but at the same time, judges did the best they could with range of categories that were available, they cant just say "those wheels dont suit it so will mark it down", its an modification and he was marked + for it which is the only way
like Matt said, he lost points for stock engine, but he had more other mods that marked him higher than others

the only way of fixing this is adding more categories next year i reckon

rayray086
09-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Overall it was a good day. The parking allocations were a bit tight - when I heard "showground" I thought we would be in like a cricket field or somethin'. As such, I would have expected parking arrangements to be similar to that of foreign watercooled VW shows like H2O (http://snapriot.com/index.php?pageId=0&category=gallery/CarShows/h20international&start=0) and Waterwagens (http://snapriot.com/index.php?pageId=0&category=gallery/CarShows/Waterwagens2006&start=0) in the US and Edition38 (http://snapriot.com/index.php?pageId=0&category=gallery/CarShows/Edition38&start=0) in Europe. I noticed some of the aircooled were parked spatiously, whereas some of us watercooled were a bit cramped, so I suppose after seeing yesterday's impressive turnout (and our ability to meet the quota of 50+ watercooled cars), we may be given more respect and as such better parking allocations.

There were two stalls that caught my attention at the show - there was Tony with ASV/Euro Car Parts, and then there was also Paul from EuroCarDriver (used to be VW Driver). Paul and his new shop, to me, have sparked the most interest in our watercooled cause - he claims to be the exclusive vendor of certain German-branded aftermarket parts, such as IN.PRO and FK, both of which I'm pretty sure have a very large market with the watercooled dubbers in Europe and the US. Paul and EuroCarDriver will be supporting the GTI Nationals that'll involve some track time at Oran Park, I think some time in June.

I believe it will be important to have some aftermarket support down here in Australia for our VWs. Without them, we'll keep getting Autosalon-esque examples. I frequently watch the VWVortex forums (though hardly post) and the styling they pump out for their Mk3's and other generations are absolutely stunning in my opinion. Very few examples here are replicated in that fashion, though I saw a lot of "Euro-tuner" modded cars in the Nats yesterday - the bike rack + bikes on the red Mk4, Porsche rims (and rims from other Golf generations), bad-boy/Boser bonnets (as opposed to eyelids) and so on.

Hmm, the last two paragraphs had nothing to do with the Nationals - just my response based on what seems to be "unfair" judging. Yes, I hate to see the prize for best Mk3 awarded to the green Golf, but judging has been made to be as objective as possible. Hopefully by next year, or in the coming years, we will slowly phase out Autosalon and bring in Euro-tuner to our "scene". I really think we can, and having aftermarket support will definitely help some of us achieve what we want in our cars.

brackie
09-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Before commenting on Loon's post I would like to say how proud I am of all of you! The turnout was excellent and the spirit was strong. Who could ask for more?

Also I would like to thank the judges and in particularly Matt for the effort they put in for us...Yes, us. We may not be a club but we are a community and it's great to see us mixing it with other VW enthusiasts no matter what they drive. And I believe that we finally are recognised as VW enthusiasts who are supporting the whole scene, not just doing our own thing in isolation.

I reckon most of you know how much work Loon put into all of this and for those who don't, you should.... and a few words to recognise this wouldn't go astray. Judging anything, especially with criteria that are difficult to define and with cars that have so many variables and diversity once they are customised, is a difficult thing.

Sitting here at the computer a zillion miles away in Tassie is light years from being there but the enthusiasm for the whole event and the support shown by members like static, mkvr6, gpk_gti, 1dub2C and other great contributors shows just how strong we are.

Enough of the "Academy Awards" stuff......

There's a win/win situation here. If you're into clubs then you can join a VW club and still contribute to this forum. Your club activities will even support and enhance us ;)
We are so geographically disparate that turning this forum into a club is just impractical.

Get involved! It can only do good.

But we'll get there. We'll have 1k members soon and we will continue to grow. However a show for a national group like ourselves is going to be out of the question for a long time. At present we get together on a state or capital city basis and this is working well. I reckon the social aspects of this forum are a real benefit to its users and when this all started out I had not idea just how important it would be. GTGs are very difficult and time consuming to organise (ask anybody who's done it :( ) but it requires commitment and persistence to make them come to fruition (as well as a thick-skinned organiser). In the end even if just 2 of us get to the meet it's a success. :)

Golf Loon
09-04-2007, 08:47 AM
On the Mk3 modified front, I would have liked to have seen RayRay and Peedman enter their cars, rather than just park up with us.

Maybe next year we can park all the Mk3s together and the Judges can mark them all one after the other. Its very hard when you mark em hours apart.

phaeton
09-04-2007, 08:56 AM
We'll have 1k members soon and we will continue to grow :)

Had to pipe in, this sites potential is 10K plus posters :D even more really when you consider VW sell 20K a year now ;)

Congrats to all who participated & organized etc :D

GoLfMan
09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
fantastic guys, sounds like the same issues us watercoolers had at the Day of the Volksy down here...
congrats guys great job for gettin in there and getting your hands dirty and the like...
as for judging, you cant judge peoples tastes so much as their presentation! Otherwise judging would become near impossible with everyones taste different, i know that the presentation thing doesnt work out (eg, yellow perril and the two mk3 winners) but its a fair and even ground... hats off to the judges i dont envy the postion you guys were in! :D

YOU SYDNEY BOYS SHOULD COME TO DOVW! :D

h100vw
09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Robin and I both had a great day, judging was hard word physically and mentally. It was the first time for both of us ;).

In the future it would be easier to judge like with like, this is how it was done in other shows I have been to. Clearly that takes more organising up front, to get the cars together from the start.

It was good to be able to put so many faces to names at last, having been on Watercooled for over a year and never met anyone but Robin and Sam O'neill in person......

Anyway, I hope things can be refined for next year and make the show the success that it should be.

Even the first GTI International took more than 3 years to outgrow it's original venue.

Gavin

JP_Aircooled_TDi
09-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

Just want to say that this was my first VW show in Sydney, and I thought that it was great ! Percentage wise, the water-pumpers had a significantly higher quality of car than the aircooled guys. Should be proud.

I came up from the ACT with a group of fellow VW enthusiasts (all aircooled) while I turned up in the manky little white Mk1 :D (as my MkV is still at the panel shop, and I didn't want to get a corolla or something else)

I've been associated with lots of other competitions and used to chase the awards, but I got sick of the subjective judging and culture (no offense intended). But I continued to attend and take great pleasure in what actually turns up - and bugger the awards (do you really care?)

Each person knows how much effort went into their own car - and should be proud of their efforts.

Who cares what other people think?

Great people and an awesome variety of cars in one spot - doesn't get any better than that.

I will definitely go again next year (maybe with the MkV or Mk1), but definitely going watercooled. See you then...

PS. Maybe a 'rat watercooled' section next year? :D

Anyway, just my 2c...

syncro
09-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Vegetarian food only to be sold next year!

I've just spent a couple hours getting the sausage vapour from the Audi:mad:

DubSteve
09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
It was a great day I must admit loved every bit of it all fantastic. I can't say much about the Mk3 modified section cause if I jaber on I would just mine was the best;) But I must admit the judging was fair and I must respect the judging decisions that were made.

In responce to all the Mk3 owners out there it was abit ricer looking, I'm not a fan of those rims to me they only suit the beamers and Mercs. It did have a nice system but loud I thought.

The parking was tight but we did look good in a row :D Big hand to all that helped Matt, Brenton, Gavin, Robin and George for all there hard efforts on the day.

Congrats to all the winners and here to next year:)

BL33SU
09-04-2007, 03:36 PM
had a great day, thought judging was pretty fair except for the 98 onwards for golfs, should had mk4 n mk5.. maybe next yr

Golf Loon
09-04-2007, 04:43 PM
had a great day, thought judging was pretty fair except for the 98 onwards for golfs, should had mk4 n mk5.. maybe next yr

yeah well we all proved that the cars are out there, so will definately have separate categories for em next year.

DubSteve
09-04-2007, 04:54 PM

Just remember all that this was the first year of it!

It can only get better as they say!!! ;)

aprr32
09-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah all it will take next year is a bit of fine tuning and even more cars to turn up, after all Golfs are todays cars and beetles are yesterdays.

evorobin
09-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Well as a judge I thought it worked well all things considered. It was great to meet everyone that brought their cars and those that helped run the event. Needless to say my bag was a lot heavier going home with parts :D

KI11Z
10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
my apologies matt if i offended you by indirectly saying your judging was crap, thats not wat i wanted, like all others have said 'i didnt evy you at all!'. i realise that the given ways of judging meant he wins but it really got to me, especially that i travelled such a distance only to have that take it out . . . my apologies again to all the judges!

on a positive note i did really enjoy the day! meeting everyone and seein the cars in real life was a blast! for my tastes id like to give props to rayray for his efforts on his mk3! i really liked it! also the porsche rims on peedy's look sweet! also my opinion on "the mk5 is ugly" is now squashed thanks to the amazing efforts of thiers!!

all in all WICKED! :D and will be coming down again next year for a decent crack at it ;)

rayray086
10-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Cheers Alex :) And the Porsche rims were on Steve's white VR6!

DubSteve
10-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Cheers Alex :) And the Porsche rims were on Steve's white VR6!

Bling Bling, I really need to take photos of my car I have never posted any photos of my car here at all lol, will do on the weekend when I wash her again.

I got to admit I felt I was done abit hard to when the green golf beat me, as he had the Dolce rims and 4wd suspension(I'm not being biased at all ;)lol) But he did have a few more mods than me I will admit, his sound system was loud to loud for me personally. I have just Pioneer 6"s and split that give me a nice crisp sound that is loud and what I want.

Are we allowed to discuss out of plain curiosity why the green mk3 beat me? I came runner up just wanted to know what the judges comments were as I want to better my car:)

What was the difference between runner up and first place.

gpk_gti
10-04-2007, 03:06 PM
im not even going to bother ,speaks for itself......
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=3171086&postid=37552517#37552517

Bug_racer
10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Although I wasnt there , ( KW crew support for Sherrin motorsport at Bathurst :) ) I have been going for the last 12 years and I know the show pretty well .

Firstly to start off with , the mk4 with flames on the engine cover , his N75 is the wrong way around :)

the judging isnt going to be easy unless you work on the cars day to day and can see whats been modified . Only problem is the people who know generally have a commercial interest in the cars as well . Id probably say someone like William who works at a dealership and has no association with vendors should be a judge ??? Or maybe get a few people in the crowd to judge as well ??? But for me I'm not really into looks its more about go .

When I first started going to the Nationals they had racing at Amaroo Park , show and shine and a drag day . Now only the show and shine remains . Im organising a drag day same day as Compak attak . So those who seriously want to have our own watercooled show , where are you going to get the money from to hire a venue , insurance etc etc . To hire out WSID for the day complete with track officials , ambulance , insurance etc is $25k . I think Wakefield park is $10k . So unless youve got that kind of money your best to stick with whats been around for a while and make it grow . Next year I'll bring my cars there , Mk3 might even be finished :) .

So those who want to support the VW scene , I'll see ya at the drags next month

fuzion
10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
speaks for itself? ...you on that 276 kwrack again? lol

well hopefully next year there will be more watercooled guys as the ones who couldnt make it saw the large present of them this year so might entice them to try make it next year!

that green golf that everyone is talking about with the overly loud system cranking on all day, imo was a pretty poor stereo considering. i heard more high pitch voice then anything else from it afar! 6x9 power ..... lol maybe they'll tell them to tone it doen a bit next time

the porsche wheels on the vr6 looked tops, dont see many of those around in aus! and golf loon rocking up with his trailered green beast trying to sort out everything lol

regarding the judging, my opinion was regarding the knowledge of each judge on year/modifications on vehicles itself. as i wouldn't personally want to judge a mk1/mk2/mk3 as i dont know much about modification wise on those in comparison to the mk4/mk5s! (if you get what i mean). maybe judges not associated with the forums/clubs itself but to do with vw along the lines of some sort. not saying the judging was bad but knowledge side of things and favorites comes into things always as we've noticed with that HORRIBLE HORRIBLE yellow car that kept winning, argh! lol

top effort from all the organisers tho, very well done! as mentioned i think by gpk hopefully next time someone can organize where everybody parks and people are not flung all over the shop, esp near bbq's!

fuzion
10-04-2007, 03:21 PM
and not to forget the Dyno Day this month coming too bug_racer! good to see what a few of the mk3's would be making, the vr6's do quite well usually especially!

gpk_gti
10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
as posted on vortex but now edited.
Note: Do not reply to this message, it is a system notification.

A reply has been made to the following topic:

Australia > 2007 VW Nationals Round Up Thread.

-------------------------

The following reply was posted by fuzion:

was a great day, awesome turn out! good to catch up with everyone as well! Ross' car looking absolutely **** hot especially with the boser bonnet!

i am a bit disappointed with the judging (sorry guys). the car that came second place for 98on modified was pretty average in comparison to quite a few other cars theres which were incredibly nicer in/out/engine etc! (bit sus if you ask me but oh well)

overall a great day, towards the end was getting a TAD slow and boring (as every show is!)

DubSteve
10-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Although I wasnt there , ( KW crew support for Sherrin motorsport at Bathurst :) ) I have been going for the last 12 years and I know the show pretty well .

Firstly to start off with , the mk4 with flames on the engine cover , his N75 is the wrong way around :)

the judging isnt going to be easy unless you work on the cars day to day and can see whats been modified . Only problem is the people who know generally have a commercial interest in the cars as well . Id probably say someone like William who works at a dealership and has no association with vendors should be a judge ??? Or maybe get a few people in the crowd to judge as well ??? But for me I'm not really into looks its more about go .

So those who want to support the VW scene , I'll see ya at the drags next month

Thats the thing its a Show and Shine and they aren't really going to look at engine mods unless they are all shiney.

We did have members of the crowd Brenton with his vr6.

speaks for itself? ...you on that 276 kwrack again? lol

well hopefully next year there will be more watercooled guys as the ones who couldnt make it saw the large present of them this year so might entice them to try make it next year!

that green golf that everyone is talking about with the overly loud system cranking on all day, imo was a pretty poor stereo considering. i heard more high pitch voice then anything else from it afar! 6x9 power ..... lol maybe they'll tell them to tone it doen a bit next time

the porsche wheels on the vr6 looked tops, dont see many of those around in aus! and golf loon rocking up with his trailered green beast trying to sort out everything lol

regarding the judging, my opinion was regarding the knowledge of each judge on year/modifications on vehicles itself. as i wouldn't personally want to judge a mk1/mk2/mk3 as i dont know much about modification wise on those in comparison to the mk4/mk5s! (if you get what i mean). maybe judges not associated with the forums/clubs itself but to do with vw along the lines of some sort. not saying the judging was bad but knowledge side of things and favorites comes into things always as we've noticed with that HORRIBLE HORRIBLE yellow car that kept winning, argh! lol

top effort from all the organisers tho, very well done! as mentioned i think by gpk hopefully next time someone can organize where everybody parks and people are not flung all over the shop, esp near bbq's!

My rims looked good ;)

There was nothing wrong with parking we were all in a straight line. No one was infront of a BBQ only infront of a stand.

Alot of opinions, In this case we should have 5 judges one that knows every Mark back to front and go from there.

Don't feel bad cause you lost there is always next year. Think of it as a learning curve I have :)

fuzion
10-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Steve, rims looked very good indeed. :cool:

Yeah of course theres a lot of opinions, mine most of all how boring it got towards the end. I think it was more people awaiting the winners and it time was ticking VERY slowly infact! Too slow!

Dont feel bad because i lost? i wasn't hoping in winning! Was hoping that Ross (the black mk4 beast) and the silver mk5 would win as i thought they were the two nicest, and otherwise adrians dub20v (the red mk4 with the bikes on top)! they were my top 3 choices in the mk4/mk5s.

regarding the bbq, thought someone said they're car was getting hit by the oil fumes from it in one of the threads? or maybe im losing it lol.

as you said dude, always the next year! bigger and better im sure it will be as they know the watercooled force are out with the numbers now! 5 judges seems like a pretty good idea actually. obvious one too whch didnt consider lol

-

gpk, you copied and saved? thats lame dude lol. i edited it with a bit more info as i didnt make much sense (half asleep) when i wrote it .. nothings really dramatically changed cept for wording lol, disappointed with the judging as i had mentioned and freely admit that amongst how boring it got towards the end!

Thats the thing its a Show and Shine and they aren't really going to look at engine mods unless they are all shiney.

We did have members of the crowd Brenton with his vr6.

My rims looked good ;)

There was nothing wrong with parking we were all in a straight line. No one was infront of a BBQ only infront of a stand.

Alot of opinions, In this case we should have 5 judges one that knows every Mark back to front and go from there.

Don't feel bad cause you lost there is always next year. Think of it as a learning curve I have :)

fuzion
10-04-2007, 03:52 PM
so whose coming to the Dyno Day from here anyhow?

Bug_racer
10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I am , so is the wife and bringing 3 kids :)

fuzion
10-04-2007, 04:13 PM
fanta-bloody-tactical! lol :P

DubSteve
10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the comment about the rims Pierre I was looking for them for a while.

Now...

Steve, rims looked very good indeed. :cool:

Yeah of course theres a lot of opinions, mine most of all how boring it got towards the end. I think it was more people awaiting the winners and it time was ticking VERY slowly infact! Too slow!

Dont feel bad because i lost? i wasn't hoping in winning! Was hoping that Ross (the black mk4 beast) and the silver mk5 would win as i thought they were the two nicest, and otherwise adrians dub20v (the red mk4 with the bikes on top)! they were my top 3 choices in the mk4/mk5s.

The judging was done in a way all was looked at. Rosses GTI was a winner in my eyes to and his win was well deserved. The person that came second, won obviously on more than just outside appearance. The flames was a modification and the judges thought that it should be maked accordingly. Dub20V had a nice dress kit, and I thought that it was nice, but the judges may have thought otherwise. Don't forget that when you go for a style you got to stick to it not get all over the place gpk was going for the euro look as he has once told me before. I'm sure that Adrian was going for something the same and with the bike rack achieved that I thought. But the judges may have thought differently. Louies was nice but was all cosmetic work (not saying nothing bad cause it is very nice) as where others had abit more work done such as engine bay. Look at me I thought I would have one Mk3 modified but not to be. The green Mk3 had more mods than me.

regarding the bbq, thought someone said they're car was getting hit by the oil fumes from it in one of the threads? or maybe im losing it lol.

That was Syncro in regards to people with sausage sizzles touching his car afterwards eating.

gpk, you copied and saved? thats lame dude lol. i edited it with a bit more info as i didnt make much sense (half asleep) when i wrote it .. nothings really dramatically changed cept for wording lol, disappointed with the judging as i had mentioned and freely admit that amongst how boring it got towards the end!

No excuse no need for bantering other members of this forum on other ones. We are a community that love our cars.

so whose coming to the Dyno Day from here anyhow?!

If you want to talk about the dyno day so be it but not on this thread, this is the Nationals rap up!

gpk_gti
10-04-2007, 04:52 PM
ive got better things to do than copy and save.as for how I got it,I received it on email from my subscription.
im not offended that you think my car is average.thats your opinion.as for bagging the judges,golf_loon,evorobin,gavin and brendan thats not on.to imply that they were"sus" means that something shifty or corrupt.I find that very offensive and im sure so do most members here.they gave up their morning for judging and as for golf loon,the amount of organising and meetings we had to attend to do this,well I didnt see any hands up to volunteer.
if we are going to have a arguement and have you sulking that you or someone you thought should win ,well id be happy to give my trophy back.
Is there anything else you are going to call me this time?on kwrack???and lame.

fuzion
10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the comment about the rims Pierre I was looking for them for a while.

Now...

The judging was done in a way all was looked at. Rosses GTI was a winner in my eyes to and his win was well deserved. The person that came second, won obviously on more than just outside appearance. The flames was a modification and the judges thought that it should be maked accordingly. Dub20V had a nice dress kit, and I thought that it was nice, but the judges may have thought otherwise. Don't forget that when you go for a style you got to stick to it not get all over the place gpk was going for the euro look as he has once told me before. I'm sure that Adrian was going for something the same and with the bike rack achieved that I thought. But the judges may have thought differently. Louies was nice but was all cosmetic work (not saying nothing bad cause it is very nice) as where others had abit more work done such as engine bay. Look at me I thought I would have one Mk3 modified but not to be. The green Mk3 had more mods than me.

That was Syncro in regards to people with sausage sizzles touching his car afterwards eating.

No excuse no need for bantering other members of this forum on other ones. We are a community that love our cars.

If you want to talk about the dyno day so be it but not on this thread, this is the Nationals rap up!

I cant really be bothered argueing, but for the sake of it. you said "modifications" of who had more. adrians had more then gpks by far so bit hypocritical there im sorry man! regarding louies there was more then cosmetic done but obviously no one knew/looked enough possibly who knows, whose to say they did or didnt in the end. but who won, won! as i said in before judging could of possibly been more to who knew about each make/model more too! not saying the judges were bad in any what way, merely not knowledgable in all models which isnt their fault or a bad thing as such! nor claiming they are corrupt either. your missing (not you mk3) others the point. its been said/done now -over out

not bantering other members, and not sulking on who or who shouldnt of one but according to "whose done the most modifications" wise i think some got more then that should and some lost more too .. either way thats how it goes as you said :P

but please dont tell me your saying you need pink dragans and flames to win lol jk :) :???:

bout the dyno day, yes this is the nationals thread but always good to see some of the cars on the dyno too and a reminder that theres another event popping up soon! thats all :P shh

regarding your wheels, imported or you popped them out of the hat?

fuzion
10-04-2007, 05:24 PM
oh and to gpk, with the volunteer that your carrying on about. i would of if i known about it sometime earlier as i didnt have the chance to read all the threads as i would of been glad to help for the record.

as said, theres more to improve and things will obviously year by year.

DubSteve
10-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I cant really be bothered argueing, but for the sake of it. you said "modifications" of who had more. adrians had more then gpks by far so bit hypocritical there im sorry man! regarding louies there was more then cosmetic done but obviously no one knew/looked enough possibly who knows, whose to say they did or didnt in the end. but who won, won! as i said in before judging could of possibly been more to who knew about each make/model more too! not saying the judges were bad in any what way, merely not knowledgable in all models which isnt their fault or a bad thing as such! nor claiming they are corrupt either. your missing (not you mk3) others the point. its been said/done now -over out

not bantering other members, and not sulking on who or who shouldnt of one but according to "whose done the most modifications" wise i think some got more then that should and some lost more too .. either way thats how it goes as you said :P

but please dont tell me your saying you need pink dragans and flames to win lol jk :) :???:

bout the dyno day, yes this is the nationals thread but always good to see some of the cars on the dyno too and a reminder that theres another event popping up soon! thats all :P shh

regarding your wheels, imported or you popped them out of the hat?

I baked them the day before.... lol nah I got them off Ebay from a bloke in Queensland.

Did Adrian tell the judges of the modifications that had been done? I'm sorry but I could have said my car had bilsteins when all it had were lowered springs. If you don't tell them what you have then all they can presume is that it is stock besides the dress up kit(Saying it for the arguement, there really koni coilovers:))

Its the way that the car presented itself on the day.

I'm not saying you need pink dragons and flames to win all I'm saying is that the way the cars presented themselves was the way they were picked.

If you have a problem with the judges take it up with them, it was their decision they saw fit as to who won and how it went.

I'm sorry but by saying that he should not have one is bantering others and sulking!

Golf Loon
10-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Ok Fuzion, I`m putting you down as a Judge for Next Year.

In previous years they have had 4 judges, one who judged paint, one interior, one engine and one undercarriage and the yellow car always wins.

This year we had 4 judges who all Judged every aspect of each car. This takes longer, but is less open to bias as they are all marking each car in its entirety.

It is obviously subjective, as Judges are human, but if 4 of your peers from the VW community give 4 individual marks which are added together to score each car, I think thats pretty fair.

I had no idea how it was going to pan out until the trophies were given out, which also is fair. I was actually surprised to see that green car win in the modified section, I much prefered Steves VR6, but on average score it won. (if its any consolation he blew the gearbox the next day)

I was also surprised that my Green beastie was beaten by a car with a stock engine, but thats life. I blame the extra Judge 5s Judging of my car ;)

With the Mk4s and 5s, I argued the case for having 2 categories at the comittee meeting, which I attended, giving my time for free again, but Club Vee Dub were reluctant to give the trophies as you guys with these cars wont commit to coming or join the club. Next year will be different.

As Seb says, its a hugely expensive exercise to host a show and the Nationals is a biggie. All you have to do is get involved and help mould the watercooled side of it. the aircooled guys are happy for us to do that as its not their area of expertise. They know they need us, as the future, just as we need their existing show structure.

Next year, lets see some more Judges from within the ranks of Mk4 and 5 owners, I personally found it very hard to judge these cars. It needs a couple of you blokes to volunteer.

Next year I`d like my role to be organizing the parking in our allocated area of cars in groups, Mk1, Ml2 , Mk3 etc. This will be hard to arrange and there will be a few exceptions or latecomers, but it would make Judging very easy and quick.

We also need someone knowledgeable to book the cars in at the front desk, as the aircooled guys were letting people enter in both stock and modified sections :???:

We did well as a first attempt and the Club cant not cater for us from here on in. Next year lets have 100 cars.

fuzion
10-04-2007, 05:56 PM
golf-loon,

thanks for the reply, you basically got it all there and i agree with what your saying there to be honest!

as you said about knowledgable people to book the cars in the front desk i couldnt agree more with that as they had no idea what was going on (although very thankful they were there but not very helpful lol)

next year ill bring you a yellow, or orange vest with "loon" on it if you like lol. OH&S first of course! remember the steel caps.

maybe you might even catch the aircooled guys looking and asking about the watercooled cars a bit more next year (high hopes lol)

DIDZ
10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Farken hell. I didn't go, I read both forums and all I see is "whinge whinge whinge" why didn't I win, the judges are **** - and the odd sprinkling about the nice cars and taking in other people's tastes whether you like them or not.

I didn't go to the Nationals because I couldn't make it but I attended the GTG at Yarra Bay not long ago, where all those who went and had a good time also sat down in a big circle (Golf Loon, bug_racer even though he didn't attend, gpk_gti, Mk3vr6 and a couple of the others - you get the picture) and discussed the categories and the weighting that would go for each category.

Now, for most of those who had a big whinge fest, did they go to the GTG? No ? If not there was a chance to find out how the weighting was in regards to the Nationals thread. Were the questions asked in regards to the weighting in the thread ? No ? Did you ask someone that went? No ? Now - why the hell are you whinging.

Judging wise - it's got to be one of the toughest years and jobs to judge because of the unknown quantity of how many cars were going to go. Categories were made against forecasted expectations of how many watercooled owners would go. As everyone would agree, attendance exceeded expectation - Club VeeDub now have an idea of what to expect from the "new kids on the block", and will create categories fitting to suit.

If I went I would have been happy to enter in one category whilst drooling and appreciating other people's efforts.

Final call - never have I seen people resemble children and being fence sitters. There are members on this forum that need to pull their head in.

VWEAPN
10-04-2007, 07:02 PM
my first vw show, i personally think the loud music made the day alive.
why would we want to be at a show with the noise of the public walking around when we can make it feel like a car show by having some music, although the green vr6 was pretty dam loud.

Spyda
10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
You guys drain it, i understand most of you are a bit older but how can you have a car show without loud music. Your worse then my old man.

I heard that the yellow rice box mk1 won something....i spewed when i saw it in a magazine (now i cant go back to the newsagency)....who the hell is judging?

I was realy looking forward to geting my car done and bringing it up to that show, i was planing a big ice install aswell.

I dunno, im just a bit disapointed at some of you comments.

If it was up to me I would have subbies blasting, dynos, chicks, like a party to celebared veedubingness and leave the tea party to the fruits. I guess its because im from the Autosalon generation and i dont see why it should be a bad thing.

Congrats on the turn out, i was impressed by that, some great cars there.

VWEAPN
10-04-2007, 07:33 PM
ill bring my golf on dyno day for sure!

DubSteve
10-04-2007, 07:35 PM
I was actually surprised to see that green car win in the modified section, I much prefered Steves VR6, but on average score it won. (if its any consolation he blew the gearbox the next day)

We did well as a first attempt and the Club cant not cater for us from here on in. Next year lets have 100 cars.

Makes me a little better now hearing that :)

Matt says put some great points to have all Mks in a parking area of there own. Easy to mark and compare. Better to get some guys with more knowledge on the newer model cars aswell easier for them to mark as they would know more about them.

It wasn't a vr6 looked like a GL or CL?

What DIDZ said is right we all winged but no one put there hands up to do anything. If we had all said or did something to help no one would have sulked.

I'm from the Autosalon era aswell, but its not practical are you going to listen to music that loud and drive? No way.

BL33SU
10-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm from the Autosalon era aswell, but its not practical are you going to listen to music that loud and drive? No way.

yes actually, always:D
windows down, music upj:

DubSteve
10-04-2007, 07:45 PM
yes actually, always:D
windows down, music upj:

Can't rather hear my exhaust followed by my intake scream through the rev range:D

Mrs_Bugracer
10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Some of the comments are hilarious.

The doof doof aspect doesnt interest me, but it does others. Engine mods interest seb, but nothing else does:P

Everyone is diff. It was great to see watercooled guys there. Hopefully next year Seb and I can have all of our cars there, and lots of others attend.

static1800
10-04-2007, 07:57 PM
mandatory have more engine power then stereo power imo :D

Mrs_Bugracer
10-04-2007, 07:59 PM
mandatory have more engine power then stereo power imo :D

How true. The whole doof doof aspect does nothing at all for me. There is nothing worse then pulling up to the lights and some spanker has their **** music playing so loud, usually distorted.

phaeton
10-04-2007, 08:01 PM
How true. The whole doof doof aspect does nothing at all for me. There is nothing worse then pulling up to the lights and some spanker has their **** music playing so loud, usually distorted.

LOL so true :D

syncro
10-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't mind the loud music, but it's a pita being in the swap meet area when you're trying to sell something and nobody can hear you.

gpk_gti
10-04-2007, 09:04 PM
im sure that the organisers did not expect so many cars from us,or maybe they were hoping we would fail(or implode from inside) so the way the cars were organised was,well,not organised.I believe the swap meet should not have been there,or we should have been further up.as I said before,Im not a fan of loud doof doof,but some ppl are and even some of the other crowd are into that.if we "ban" music,then whats next shiny rims? dodgy exhausts?;) ,unfortunately the doof doof is the future,keep it out and we are doomed for failure.

JP_Aircooled_TDi
10-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I say, the more VWs - the better.

The more variety of VWs - the better.

Cut each other a bit of slack, because we're all into VWs. I'm more than happy to see someome else do some wierd sh*t to thier car, just to see how it would turn out. If we all turned up in the same car, well, it might as well be a conformadore :?

All the differences and modifications - bring it on :D

(my other 2c ;) )

jasn78
10-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey guys just an opinion from some1 who didnt even go "as im in queensland" but would have loved to. From what i have seen of judging in previous events, i.e AutoSalons etc the judging has not been just based on total number of mods. but hey they all fit together so for instance say competitor a. has 101 mods but each all go in a different direction say chrome rims with racing interior that competitor would not be judged as well as someone who say half the number of mods but has kept to a direct theme throught the car, i.e. interior paint scheme matches exterior and engine bay and so on. Maybe this is something that to me seems a bit fair than just baed on total mods etc. This way some1 who maynot have the budget of some1 else but does have the time and the skills to present a full package can be judged on equal footing. Now I know this may not solve all the problems etc but gives another idea of where to head with everything for next year.

evorobin
10-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Fuzion I'm sorry I didn't meet you although I DID help push start your car. Thanks for editing your vortex post it could have caused friction.

Golf Loon
10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Wise words from DIDZ. Sorry you couldnt make it man.

Indeed there should be no whinging from those who decided not to be involved.

Get involved and help mould the next one.

Tiny
10-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Guys it was a good day and I found the aircooled people were great and very welcoming! chatted with some real nice people!

Only thing I have to say is I think they need to do the awards totally away from the cars next time! unfortunatley we got the crowds gathered around our cars some people leaning on the cars etc regardless of who it is I dont think anybody Aircooled or watercooled wants people leaning on their cars with the possibility of scratches from buttons, belts, etc or panel dent etc.... It could just end up ugly!
thats my only gripe!

Oh and move the sausage sizzle! lol :D

Congrats to the guys who won awards and Lets hope for a better turn out next year! :)

gpk_gti
10-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Guys it was a good day and I found the aircooled people were great and very welcoming! chatted with some real nice people!

Only thing I have to say is I think they need to do the awards totally away from the cars next time! unfortunatley we got the crowds gathered around our cars some people leaning on the cars etc regardless of who it is I dont think anybody Aircooled or watercooled wants people leaning on their cars with the possibility of scratches from buttons, belts, etc or panel dent etc.... It could just end up ugly!
thats my only gripe!

Oh and move the sausage sizzle! lol :D

fantastic suggestion,didnt think of that!!

KI11Z
11-04-2007, 03:28 AM
as bad as a lot of our posts have sounded like i think maybe its been a lil positive; its all feedback im sure will all be taken into consideration for next year! It was our first real year of the watercooled at the nationals and these gripes were always gunna happen, this has been a HUGE learning curb and next year will be something to really look forward too!! cant wait! . . . . OH! AND ROAD TRIPS ARE IN ORDER T GET THERE! was kinda boring by maself . . . :D

gpk_gti
11-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Indeed there should be no whinging from those who decided not to be involved.

Get involved and help mould the next one.
very well put loon! I would like to see more involvement from our members in that moulding of the next nats.I remember asking for members to help GOLF LOON,BRENDAN and ME with the meetings with clubveedub.we asked for members to join.how many did we get? when we organised the GTG to go over the judging and the organising ,did YOU come? Im not going to carry on how we "volunteered" and how much of our spare time went into this(and will continue with the clubveedub meetings every last thursday in the month) but if it means that ppl that complained,the ones that did not do anything apart from showing a car,then expect to be involved automatically next show without doing anything in the interim between the last show and the next one.Well maybe ill just sit around as well and next show ill be president.
Involve yourself,give up some of your spare time and then next nats ,you too can be part of the officials.

Bug_racer
11-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I would love to help but I just dont have the time anymore , I was a member of Club VW around 10-12 years ago , I was trying to build up drag racing back then and nobody really seemed that interested so I just gave up and did my own thing . The power really is with numbers . Hopefully next year there will be more room allocated to the water cooled cars :)

DubSteve
11-04-2007, 09:57 AM
very well put loon! I would like to see more involvement from our members in that moulding of the next nats.I remember asking for members to help GOLF LOON,BRENDAN and ME with the meetings with clubveedub.we asked for members to join.how many did we get? when we organised the GTG to go over the judging and the organising ,did YOU come? Im not going to carry on how we "volunteered" and how much of our spare time went into this(and will continue with the clubveedub meetings every last thursday in the month) but if it means that ppl that complained,the ones that did not do anything apart from showing a car,then expect to be involved automatically next show without doing anything in the interim between the last show and the next one.Well maybe ill just sit around as well and next show ill be president.
Involve yourself,give up some of your spare time and then next nats ,you too can be part of the officials.

Some wise words there as its true. If we to see something change then all get involved, don't just sit and gripe it ain't going to do anything but start arguements.

If you want to see some changes then go the VW meetings and voice your opinions, let them be heard. Don't forget Club VW gave us a chance they didn't have to but they did. We must commend them aswell more than anything.

gpk_gti
11-04-2007, 10:32 AM
. The power really is with numbers . Hopefully next year there will be more room allocated to the water cooled cars :)
this is exactly why we asked for ppl to put their hands up if theywere coming.we couldnt ask for 100 spots if 50 cars were coming.

fuzion
11-04-2007, 11:43 AM
aside of what everyone has said, me inclusive at least now everybody as mentioned has voiced their opinions on what they think and could be wrong and it'll just improve next year.

so another year to go lol

gpk_gti
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Don't forget Club VW gave us a chance they didn't have to but they did. We must commend them aswell more than anything.
good idea steve,I will thank them at the next meeting from The VWW members.

gldgti
11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
anyone noticed my sticker on my back window? DNVK is "Der Neuburg Volks Klub" the newcastle peoples club, directly but you get the idea.

the club is totally social, no money involved. there are a couple of organisers, people help out, a mailing list and some regular events like cruises and the newcastle euro day that we all try to attend.

though not an official money paying club, DNVK is becoming more recognised, especially locally forus in the Hunter. for one, the hunters premier club, the MG club of newcastle, seems happy to recognise us.

maybe this is something we should think about, as an extension of the forum. a basic no paying club with a register and some regular calendarised events to show solidarity, and a banner to go under so that we are able to be pigeon holed, just a little bit, so that we are distinguishable, and have one voice.

just a thought.

aydan

gldgti
11-04-2007, 08:44 PM
oh, and for us, a club like this would be something we could commit, to, as you say gpk, you cant ask for 100 spots when 50 are coming... if we can say, "our club is coming and we will have XX members bringing XX cars", its like a little organisational information gem for the vw club people to use easily.

gldgti
11-04-2007, 08:45 PM
i would suggest the name: "VWWatercooled Club Australia" or similar ;-)

GoLfMan
11-04-2007, 09:48 PM
i like the sound of this and aired my thoughts on making this forum club like a while ago... i still think it can be done, each city being their own chapter and running themselves much like a club... could be good

nvr_l8
12-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I know it's late and I should have got involved earlier but I will just put in my 2c worth.
I think it was an awesome show. I have been slow to come onboard in relation to the quality of a VW but I know now that they are amazing vehicles either as stock cars or can go like the clappers and look the s**t when modified.
There were 2 categories for prizes in each section (standard & modified). If VEEDU8 (who was a really nice guy and gave me lots of good advise about mods) spent all that time and money on HIS car (he is planning on doing alot more work too btw) then why shouldn't he win that category?
I am planning on doing alot of work on my mk3 too but atm I feel like I shouldn't because everyone will think I'm a wanker. I love my car and think I should be able to do what I like to it if it makes me feel good. I think we should support both categories. Maybe we can show the rest of the AUS car scene just how good VW's are (the european and US scenes are massive in comparrison).
My 2c.

gpk_gti
13-04-2007, 12:03 AM
sorry,im a bit lost,why should you feel like a "wanker",its your car and you can do whatever you like to it.if you stick the shinyest(forgot how to spell that one!hehe) and the most ricey bodykit,well as long as you like it ,thats what matters and dont ever forget that.you are always welcome here and also at any event we hold! if anyone calls you "insert idiotic remark here",just pm any of our mods,admin and they will take care of it.
hope to catch you at our next gtg!!

KI11Z
13-04-2007, 04:55 AM
. . . I am planning on doing alot of work on my mk3 too but atm I feel like I shouldn't because everyone will think I'm a wanker. I love my car and think I should be able to do what I like to it if it makes me feel good . . .

did you post this because of wat attention that green mk3 got? theres nothing wrong with bling and stereos! just so long as your mods dont look aw outa place n mismatching and is dun nicely n professionally :)

nvr_l8
13-04-2007, 08:08 AM
I just got the impression that some people were having a go at him for doing what he did to his car. Some of the remarks were pretty harsh. I know some people may see it as a bit of "we don't do that kind of thing here" but I think it's great that he loves his car and wants to put alot of time and money into it.

I am throwing around a couple of ideas at the moment and will be posting something up soon for your appreciated feedback.

DubSteve
13-04-2007, 09:43 AM
There were a few problems that I saw with his car, but then again if I wasn't going against him I would not have had those problems. Anyway, he had the dolce rims and I thought that they didn't suit the car, to me there not a euro style kind of wheel. Next was that it was to high needed to be slammed on its ass:D. And I didn't really like the stereo imo not my greatest thing about any car, I like a nice crisp sound but nothing over the top. Bring me vr6 power and goodness. I have to admit he had a good paint job finish to his car.

These are the two cars that won modified and was runner up.

The winner
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

The runner up(mine)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/04/P4080005Small-1.jpg

gpk_gti
13-04-2007, 09:57 AM
the green mk3 wheels were not my taste but I think it deserved to win and obviously so did the judges,very clean!!
I say it again,as long as you like your car thats all that matters!!alot of ppl didnt like my car,think I give a toss?:D ?

anyway guys,can we keep this thread on topic?? supposed to be about what was good about the show and what was bad.if you guys like ,start a thread:idea: regarding the mk3's that showed up and post heaps of photos of what was good/bad and maybe what you would like to see!!!
I need to have all the info by the 26th of this month.:)

DubSteve
13-04-2007, 10:43 AM
the green mk3 wheels were not my taste but I think it deserved to win and obviously so did the judges,very clean!!
I say it again,as long as you like your car thats all that matters!!alot of ppl didnt like my car,think I give a toss?\

anyway guys,can we keep this thread on topic?? supposed to be about what was good about the show and what was bad.if you guys like ,start a thread:idea: regarding the mk3's that showed up and post heaps of photos of what was good/bad and maybe what you would like to see!!!
I need to have all the info by the 26th of this month.:)

What you talking about Willis lol;)

Nah all good just remembered that this thread was no photos lol sorry fellas.

There were a few similarities between the two cars but anyway back on topic.

Got to admit the sausage sizzles were pretty nice:) Got to mention that. For the first effort, I must say this year was a success, Must say thanks to Matt for his valiant efforts and also to the judges as well for theres.

One point that will help the judging next year and I no that it has been said before but all the same models park together so that the judges can judge them better I reckon.

gpk_gti
13-04-2007, 02:56 PM
One point that will help the judging next year and I no that it has been said before but all the same models park together so that the judges can judge them better I reckon.
got that re !! looks like you are helping with the parking next year,not like this years effort!! ahahahahahahah,mr lover lover:D

DubSteve
13-04-2007, 04:16 PM
got that re !! looks like you are helping with the parking next year,not like this years effort!! ahahahahahahah,mr lover lover:D

I was lucky she even came:)

nvr_l8
13-04-2007, 06:47 PM
you're right gpk_gti. Like I said previously I really enjoyed the show (my 1st) and thought everyone was very friendly and helpful. It was great to see so many people that had a real passion for the vw. I hope we can show the rest of the world that we love our vw's as much as they do.

Golf Loon
13-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Steve, I like your car a lot mate, but white is my least favorite colour and look how glossy that green is, he took a while to make it that shiny.
Also save up and get yourself some white front indicators. Call me if you need. ;)
I`d still rather have your car :)

evorobin
14-04-2007, 01:02 AM
This year was a real learnig curve although people that are thorough tend to score highly in the banana stakes ;)

gpk_gti
14-04-2007, 07:56 AM
thank god i was thorough. banana points 100%.:)

DubSteve
14-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Steve, I like your car a lot mate, but white is my least favorite colour and look how glossy that green is, he took a while to make it that shiny.
Also save up and get yourself some white front indicators. Call me if you need. ;)
I`d still rather have your car :)

I'm not that upset about the decision just thought it didn't flow thats all.

Ahh!!! I sence more mods on the way for me;) hehehe

DUBING
14-04-2007, 07:26 PM
i think the car was judges more on quantity, not quality, I m sorry but that green golf was riced... n:

bombsquad21
14-04-2007, 10:10 PM
green golf is wack...
windscreen sticker down low,
car real high,
mesh in the bumper,
chrome rims,
no vr lip...
sheesh!

It's like a mk3 version of what not to wear!

gpk_gti
15-04-2007, 11:02 AM
well guys,sounds like you all have some work to do for next nats!!

anything else golf loon and me need to know about the nats before we go on thursday nights meeting???

BL33SU
15-04-2007, 11:59 AM
well guys,sounds like you all have some work to do for next nats!!

anything else golf loon and me need to know about the nats before we go on thursday nights meeting???

yeh, next nats have more and better nulon girls:?

KI11Z
15-04-2007, 12:09 PM
haha, now we're talking!! round'em up boiz!! j:

gpk_gti
15-04-2007, 02:55 PM
hehe,yeah ok VWW girlz!! im in that,;) ,those nulon girls were not appealing to the eye at all!! good from far,far from good!!n:

SoVeReIgN
15-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Gee I think some of you need to calm down on the bagging of other peoples cars.
Its no way to encourage people to join up and get the community going.

Some nice cars there, I especially like those two MK5s (gtimk5) and the one with that low front lip!

vw54
17-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Goodall

Some good and bad comments on here

Glad to see most of you had a good time and enjoyed the show

for those that didnt come along and tell us why and then get involved

Dave