PDA

View Full Version : How could the Superb Wagon be better?

Swuzzlebubble
16-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I guess we all know the Superb Wagon (Elegance) stacks up pretty well against relevant competitors.
However as I do some comparisons I find the odd thing that I wish they had included or was at least an option.
Of course there is a limit to what they can fit in within a price, but then there is a fair price difference to most of the “more prestigious” offerings.
For me these would seal it:

- Rear roller blinds as standard
- 3-spoke paddles wheel as standard
- Genuine wood veneer as alternate to the plastic faux wood inserts
- Speed limiter
- Solid electric blind on the sunroof rather than mesh
- Reverse camera (option)

Am I asking too much?

Antiplastix
17-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Easy take $5k off the list price. They d walk out the door.

Inego
17-06-2010, 09:44 AM
It's on my list fro my next car already - but they can leave the "wood", or even wood. It just looks crap and tacked on. But the others, meh....

Maverick
17-06-2010, 09:55 AM
- Speed limiter

It's speed limited to 250, what else do you want?

team_v
17-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Easy take $5k off the list price. They'd walk out the door.

This!
No one wants to pay more for a brand that is seen as the budget alternative everywhere else in the world.

Swuzzlebubble
17-06-2010, 10:15 AM
RE: Speed Limiter

It's speed limited to 250, what else do you want?I think speed limiter is more useful around town than cruise control.
Other cars I've been looking at lately have both or SL instead of CC.

Swuzzlebubble
17-06-2010, 03:29 PM
RE: Speed Limiter
I think speed limiter is more useful around town than cruise control.
Other cars I've been looking at lately have both or SL instead of CC.It appears there is a ‘speed warning function’ at least.

Multi-function trip computer (driving time, trip length, average speed, speed warning
function, audio and convenience display, average and current fuel consumption,
distance until empty)

Inego
17-06-2010, 03:36 PM
The Octy certainly has the spped warning as one of its MFD functions - I just find the things annoying, so never use it.

Cruise control however, I always use on motorways.

Maverick
17-06-2010, 06:44 PM
The Octy certainly has the spped warning as one of its MFD functions - I just find the things annoying, so never use it.

Cruise control however, I always use on motorways.

I assume he wants a speed limiter so he can drive around with his foot to floor and not have to worry about speeding tickets. This is unfortunately the path we're heading down when the government mandates them, crashes will go up substantially but people will feel safe!

Swuzzlebubble
18-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I assume he wants a speed limiter so he can drive around with his foot to floor and not have to worry about speeding tickets. This is unfortunately the path we're heading down when the government mandates them, crashes will go up substantially but people will feel safe!I’m really just pointing out a few items that I notice other brands include that the Superb Wagon doesn’t.
From the perspective that potential buyers might chose the alternative if they are set on one of those features despite what else the Skoda does include.

For example I reckon nearly anyone who wanted a sunroof in AU would want the ability to block it off. I can’t see a mesh cover being acceptable.
Cost-wise I’d rather have a fixed sunroof and electric cover than the current arrangement.
Reverse camera seems fairly common feature now and is not real easy to integrate after-market so at least factory option should be available.
The faux wood looks a bit low-rent, imo. Maybe the ‘mirage’ inserts is the way around it? I get the idea though genuine wood is offered in UK/EU?
Paddles & rear roller blind I’m probably thinking from my own perspective that if they were standard items they would be included on ex-demo’s :)
Speed limiter take it or leave it but I would imagine it is very simple to make it available.

K1W1
18-06-2010, 06:28 PM
What the heck is a speed limiter anyway?

sh|tbmxrider
18-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Urban speed limiter... the trucks I sell have it.

Basically, using the same functions as the cruise control, you can dial up a speed, as you can with the cruise, and you can drive around without worrying that you are going to exceed the set speed, unless its an 'emergency situation', in which case pressing the accelerator pedal down so hard it activates the kickdown detent...

Quite handy in town, set it for 50kph or 60kph, and basically, unless you are up it for the rent/activate kick down, it wont go over the pre-determined speed.

K1W1
18-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Sounds dangerous to me I would not be ordering one.
Do people actually have so little confidence in their driving ability or are so paranoid about fines that they actually use things like this?

RSwag
18-06-2010, 10:58 PM
This!
No one wants to pay more for a brand that is seen as the budget alternative everywhere else in the world.

Skoda UK has earned a reputation of being better value for money than it's VW and Audi equivalent, in fact they have outclassed Passat, Tiguan and Jetta in most German comparisons.

To state that they are a budget brand is seriously inaccurate and quite embarrassing for you as far as general credibility goes.

The mere fact that they on Top Gear "Luxury" COTY, beating out awesome machines like E Class Merc, is a huge indicator that they are no longer a poor mans alternative, in fact anyone who has even sat in one wouldn't make a such a silly comment.

I personally have been very critical of both the pricing and the approach in the local market but i now see they have got the message. 50% of the equation is price, they have signaled that the current line up will be sharper in pricing for MY11, even more so than the MY10 revised prices, this coupled with the added extra's e.g. RS standard with sat nav, will see them grow as planned.

If they head in this direction it maybe a very good end to 2010, time will tell!!

Swuzzlebubble
25-06-2010, 09:54 PM
....they have signaled that the current line up will be sharper in pricing for MY11, even more so than the MY10 revised prices, Where/when/how was this signalled, please?

RSwag
26-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Where/when/how was this signalled, please?

I read this in goauto i think but it was a Yeti article or Fabia and then touched on all the models and what lies ahead. They talked about a 1.4ltr Octavia which had a "rumored" starting price of 21,990 for the manual before on roads, it also talked about the Fabia.

I think it is all reasonably self evident though, the RS has been reduced by $1,000 per model and sat nav made standard for MY11 models, thats a total of $3,500 to $4,000 better than MY10. The Superb wagon and the Twin door have leather and sat nav standard now for MT11, add the price reduction on the twin door of $1,000 to this its around $6,500 cheaper for MY11. The wagon is around $3,000 more but it has Park Assist as standard and has also had a $1,000 price reduction since it was announced in Jan.

My curiosity lies with the 1.4 Octavia and an intent to bring it in for $21,990 starter, this would bring them onto the Oz market in a big way and get them front and centre for the upcoming Yeti Fabia launch

It is the direction they need to go into to have any chance. As we have seen from vfacts they are in all sorts of trouble at almost half of last years sales volume with a line up that is twice as big and arguably 3 times better, more standard features, cheaper pricing and more visually appealing.

Swuzzlebubble
26-06-2010, 05:15 PM
OK thanks.

No problem with them providing a lower entry point if that is what it takes to get more sales volume.
But my point for this topic is really that I reckon the top of range model could be higher specc'd.

Skoda here really should be aiming with these to be compared to Merc, Volvo, etc (as they often are in UK/EU).
Most comparisons here seem to compare them to Holden, Ford, Mazda.

Jake02
27-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I think it is all reasonably self evident though, the RS has been reduced by $1,000 per model and sat nav made standard for MY11 models, thats a total of $3,500 to $4,000 better than MY10. The Superb Combi and the Twindoor have leather and sat nav standard now for MY11, add the price reduction on the twin door of $1,000 to this its around $6,500 cheaper for MY11. The wagon is around $3,000 more but it has Park Assist as standard and has also had a $1,000 price reduction since it was announced in Jan.

Is it all Superbs now that have leather/sat-nav standard? I thought it was just the Elegance model. I'd also like to see when Skoda Aus is going to publish all of this info as well, us owners need to be kept in the know! I'd love to see an Octavia Lauren and Klement edition - it incorporates most of the options list into the standard equipment list.

K1W1
27-06-2010, 10:10 AM
II'd also like to see when Skoda Aus is going to publish all of this info as well, us owners need to be kept in the know!

I don't see why current owners need to be kept in the know about pricing and specs on new models.
As far as publishing the info like all manufacturers of anything Skoda are not going to publicise price reductions or model upgrades until the last possible moment otherwise they will end up sitting on unsold stock in showrooms and have to have a fire sale to quit it. Have you ever seen anybody say don't buy what is on sale today because in a months time we will have something better and cheaper?

Jake02
27-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't see why current owners need to be kept in the know about pricing and specs on new models.
As far as publishing the info like all manufacturers of anything Skoda are not going to publicise price reductions or model upgrades until the last possible moment otherwise they will end up sitting on unsold stock in showrooms and have to have a fire sale to quit it. Have you ever seen anybody say don't buy what is on sale today because in a months time we will have something better and cheaper?

KIWI, is there anything I say on this forum that you like!? WE are the fanbase for Skoda Australia, WE are the ones who know who good they are, WE are the ones who put money and took the risk into these cars knowing full well that the company could leave Australia and I think it is WE who should be kept up to date on this sort of information. If you are one of those 'car buffs' like I am, it's even more relevant, adding to our database, as such, of automotive knowledge. I also meant I'd like to be kept in the know when this actually happens. Before, Skoda Australia has actually changed specs without a word until one of us on here flagged it to the rest of us. When these MY11 models arrive, I surely hope that they announce it publicly because then people will listen!

AND YES I'm aware of the current stock vs updated stock issue, but as you always suggest, stock (or lack of) is one of Skoda Australia's problems so I'm sure that'll sort itself out sooner or later.

K1W1
27-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Manufacturers never participate in or even acknowledge that user group forums exist their lawyers won't let them. Just how do you suggest that Skoda let "us" know about their forthcoming plans?

RSwag
27-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Manufacturers never participate in or even acknowledge that user group forums exist their lawyers won't let them. Just how do you suggest that Skoda let "us" know about their forthcoming plans?

I agree KIWI, as you know i have been very opinionated about the brand and its short comings but they are that, personal opinions and are said in full knowledge that anyone who is in a position to take them seriously will never do so.

I guess what Jake02 is saying is not so much about forum users its that they don't let their general audience know and it goes to the heart of what they have done wrong since the day they landed, they have never promoted any of the brands positive attribute well. Most of all they haven't even got branding right, I started a new job last week and a lady in the office is about 10 weeks shy of giving birth to her second. She mentioned cars and asked me what the Golf Wagon was like, i showed here around but she wanted a bigger boot (i have no idea why) mine looked small because i have the hard plastic tray inside.

I asked here what she is looking at and she said Mondeo and Mazda 6, i mentioned Skoda Octavai and Superb and she had NOOO idea. Then a female colleague chimed in with "Stick with the others, at least you know your getting a good reliable car then".
Thats all i ever seem to get from people, Skoda are either a "bad" car or they feel they are a risk and signify no specific value, people just have no idea.

You got to also acknowledge that it has had 3 and now nudging 4 years in OZ and it is going backwards, its quite hard to comprehend given how good they really are. The last 12 months have also seen the Mazda, Hyundai and Great Wall brands (to name a few) grow from between 12-37% respectively in the same time.

I understand your comments on being stuck with old stock but this scenario is very different. The 1.6ltr is not selling at all so what do you do, sit and hope that something that is undesirable becomes desirable or bring out a sure fire winner and cut your loses on the old. Stock is an issue but only because they haven't managed to let the audience know who they are and what they can offer, this is the cross roads now, they have an amazing opportunity to cut their loses on the past write it off as a learning curve and proceed to build the brand accordingly.

Pricing, models and specs are right on track for MY11 and it is now up to them to let people know what they are about and how good these packages really are, otherwise what is the point of even bringing the things in???

Jake02
27-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Forthcoming plans? See that's the problem. I only suggested they tell us about new releases, not what they plan to do in 12 months. What I say is being misinterpreted. Skoda's car-loving audience are on this forum and as I suggested earlier we're the people with an interest in them. They've connected with our forum before, maybe if they told is in the form of asking our opinions and what not. If Skoda actually asked us what we want etc, I think they'd do pretty alright.

You guys are the people whom I can relate to most in the car world, let's not spread this negativity! :)

CanberravRS
27-06-2010, 07:20 PM
You lot all act like you own shares in the company!...

Short comings or Forthcoming its a bloody tough market atm...
No company is doing well, and if they are its because they are just handing cars over at cost...
No brand of car in Australia has ever taken off unless it lasts 5-6 years as a brand.... VW tried in the past with SEAT, and it failed, as its not a reliable brand world wide. Skoda on the other hand is now (since the mid 90's) regarded highly as a quality product in the most lucrative market of cars ( eurozone ) as the best value for money cars, luxury/sports sedans/wagons/and micro's etc.....

Chill out you lot, you don't need to defend it like its a child...

Its a car, I know most Aussies treat the car like a member of the family, but its just a CAR!

brad
28-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I

You got to also acknowledge that it has had 3 and now nudging 4 years in OZ and it is going backwards, its quite hard to comprehend given how good they really are.

has it ticked over 3 years? The brand was launched in Sept or Oct 2007 wasn't it?

woofy
28-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Yep will be 3 yrs later this year. Throw in a GFC by the end of the second year, and the fact that they are still here speaks volumes.

CanberravRS
29-06-2010, 07:31 AM
yep will be 3 yrs later this year. Throw in a gfc by the end of the second year, and the fact that they are still here speaks volumes.

exactly!!!

RSwag
29-06-2010, 09:42 PM
exactly!!!

I thought Australia avoided the GFC, or do you guys know something I don't? Also do some homework on SEAT, you cannot draw comparisons, they are worlds a part and only reinforce the fact they should be in a better place.

Their survival thus far is more a credit to the parent company than it is to anything else, and the fact remains they have bottomed out in a market that is selling large volume. They maybe selling at cost but they are moving plenty.

We'll see fellas, I hope in 12 months time I can eat my own words!!

brad
30-06-2010, 07:52 AM
I thought Australia avoided the GFC, or do you guys know something I don't? !!
It hit me pretty hard. My super balances are down 40%. My house dropped 20%. My "other" net wealth dropped 45% and I've been forced to realise enough capital losses in the last 3 years that I really wonder why I bothered investing instead of sinking my money into fast cars, hookers & cocaine (well, maybe not cocaine but you get my drift). Truly, I was aiming to semi-retire at 55 (<10 years away) - that's blown out to at least 65 now.

on a national scale, despite being a red voter for 31 years, the way the national/gov't debt has blown out, I've given up on them. I'm not sure the blues could have done better but I think Australia will be suffering long term (minor) financial pain as penance for not doing the hard yards over a 3-5 year period.

Apologies for off topic & semi-political content.

spellbound
30-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Guys i remember the days when audi was a joke late 80's and early nineties , only a well healed graduate would walk that path , all changed when the A4 hit us in 95 .

Similar story with vw , not seen here in the 80'S , again people laughed at you , i remember buying used BMW 'S , when i could have got near new audi's for a pittance , they were very average .

You wont see the octavia take off until the next generation comes on stream , the gen 4 golf styling is not a hit with the punter .

thejack72
06-07-2010, 11:01 PM
After almost ordering a Passat TDI Highline we looked at a Superb Wagon Elegance on a whim and have since ordered one.

Other considerations (all wagons) were the 407, Mondeo, Liberty, Mazda 6 & even the Sportwagon. Considering the Superb is really a Passat / Golf mix anyway and none of the competition came close on standard equipment it was hard to go past. The 3 spoke steering wheel would have been nice as standard but we optioned it anyway - I didn't mind the $400 after VW quoted 'Don't know, but it'll be over $1000' for the steering wheel with gear shift paddles to put on the Passat!

Things we would have liked to see as standard / options were:
- Reverse camera (the head-unit can handle it afterall)
- Retractable cargo barrier (a simple mesh one like the Passat, it's available overseas)
- Black dash / door inserts as alternate to the faux wood / brushed aluminium options
- Speed limiter

Because we have a very young child and are planning another the lack of reversing camera was almost a deal-breaker for the Ms, but she wanted Sat Nav & Xenons for the trips to Melbourne to see her parents. In the end she couldn't argue with the $10k difference between the (optioned up) Passat and the (standard) Superb.

The other thing we are a little frustrated with is the lack of accessories available yet. I even gave the dealer the Skoda part numbers from the UK website for a few things (mudflaps, luggage restraint nets, towbar electrics) but they can't do anything with them yet!

Overall very happy with the car and deal we got... now just waiting until delivery in October!

Swuzzlebubble
07-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience Jack.
Sounds like you had similar considerations to what we currently have ourselves.

What other options/accessories did you go for?
Did you stay with faux wood or go for faux aluminium?

Will you get reverse camera installed after-market?
When looking at a C5 the dealer said he had one being fitted for another client ($1200).

thejack72
08-07-2010, 06:44 AM
We stayed with the wood, although now I've seen it I prefer the aluminium (I think it suits the dark interior) but it's the Ms car & she want's the wood still.

Only other option ticked was the wheel as mentioned but I will look at installing the VW reversing camera myself (same headunit after all) and get somebody to sort out the inputs. I know you can get aftermarket ones but I'd rather keep it neat.

Will probably also order the rear seat screens for the DVD player, cargo barrier, mudflaps, boot storage netting and threshold protector strip from ebay UK or Germany. All these are available and probably considerably cheaper than they will be here - e.g. Mudflaps - £20 + postage on Ebay UK, the price VW wanted for the Passat ones when we nearly ordered it gave me a heart-attack!

Swuzzlebubble
08-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I found it a bit odd that the Superb has a cigarette ashtray in the rear.
Just seems out of place in this day and age and considering people (us) would have kids in there.
Is this an “executive car” thing perhaps? Like they get driven around smoking a cigar or pipe or whatever?

BlackSuperb
08-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Maybe built for Europeans? Everybody still smokes like a chimney over there and ashtrays are a necessity.

Or maybe it's for the kids? :batman:

woofy
09-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm a scientist (or a reformed one anyway) and from school onwards etc, it has been illegal to not only smoke but put anything in your mouth in any lab. It gets more stringent in the restricted DNA working labs where I was, you can't have cough lollies, paper on benches etc. Let alone smoke anywhere inside a govt building now.

We have had people come from all over the world, and 99% of Europeans, not only smoke, but do so while at the lab bench....so an ashtray in a car would be a showstopper for them.

Safety/health is a funny thing, they are refined and some of the worlds safest/best health in the world, and yet still light something and inhale the toxic fumes....then again the US put tonnes of airbags in cars, but couldn't be bothered using seatbelts....

Swuzzlebubble
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Any thoughts here on Adaptive Cruise Control ?
Available in Passat and some Audi modles.

Autonomous cruise control system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_cruise_control)

Autonomous cruise control is an optional cruise control system appearing on some more upscale vehicles. The system goes under many different trade names according to the manufacturer. These systems use either a radar or laser setup allowing the vehicle to slow when approaching another vehicle and accelerate again to the preset speed when traffic allows. ACC technology is widely regarded as a key component of any future generations of intelligent cars.

Radar-based systems are available on many luxury cars as an option for approx. 1000-3000 USD/euro. Laser-based systems are available on some near luxury and luxury cars as an option for approx. 400-600 USD/euro.

Examples of vehicles with adaptive cruise control

2005 Acura RL, MDX, ZDX
Audi A4 (see a demonstration on YouTube), A5, Q5, A6, A8 (with GPS and front camera input)[14], Q7
BMW 7 Series, 5 series, 6 series, 3 series (Active Cruise Control)
2004 Cadillac XLR, 2005 STS, 2006 DTS
2007 Chrysler 300C
2006 Ford Mondeo, S-Max, Galaxy, 2010 Taurus [15]
2003 Honda Inspire, Legend
Hyundai Genesis (Smart Cruise Control, delayed)
Infiniti M, Q45, QX56, G35, FX35/45/50 and G37
1999 Jaguar XK-R, S-Type, XJ, XF
2000 Lexus LS430/460 (laser and radar), RX (laser and radar), GS, IS, ES 350, and LX 570
Lincoln MKS, MKT
1998 Nissan Cima, Nissan Primera T-Spec Models (Intelligent Cruise Control)
1998 Mercedes-Benz S-Class, E-Class, CLS-Class, SL-Class, CL-Class, M-Class, GL-Class, CLK-Class
2010 Porsche Panamera, 2011 Porsche Cayenne
Range Rover Sport
Renault Vel Satis
Subaru Legacy & Outback Japan-spec called SI-Cruise
1997 Toyota Celsior, Sienna (XLE Limited Edition), Avalon, Sequoia (Platinum Edition), Avensis, 2009 Corolla (Japan) [16], 2010 Prius
Volkswagen Passat, 2003 Phaeton, Touareg, 2009 Golf
Volvo S80, V70, XC70, XC60, S60

bobski
09-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Any thoughts here on Adaptive Cruise Control ?
Available in Passat and some Audi modles.

That'd be nice given the ratsh** drivers on Australian roads. The ability for people to not use cruise on freeways in cars equipt with it does my head in. I'm not so sure I'd pay big dollars for it though.

thejack72
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
That'd be nice given the ratsh** drivers on Australian roads. The ability for people to not use cruise on freeways in cars equipt with it does my head in. I'm not so sure I'd pay big dollars for it though.

Totally agree on both counts... I cannot believe people travel the huge distances we have without using their cruise control (and I'm talking about on late model cars you KNOW would have it!).

For the right price on the Skoda we would probably have ticked that box. We considered it when looking at the Passat but I couldn't justify the price, especially when the Lane Assist feature that shook the wheel if it detected you were crossing a lane marker was ANOTHER extra option. Not that I'd need the lane monitoring thingy but surely for the $'s they'd be the one package?!

Regarding the rear ashtray... I'm 99% positive the demonstrators we looked at all had the little rubber mat in the bottom meaning they were meant to be storage only. Initially I thought it was the cup-holder like in my Golf but that's actually located in the fold down armrest. Ah well, I'm sure Jr will find something (probably half-sucked and sticky!) to hide in there.

4thchicken
13-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Whilst I dont do a lot of long distance driving, when I do I tend not to use cruise control. Actually enjoy the driving/feel of the pedal and imo having to be aware of speed/having a foot on the pedal provides greater response times to changes in traffic conditions - slowing down, speeding up, overtaking etc. Cruise control partly takes away that need to concentrate (as a driving aid) when driving and imo has the potential to increase road risk

K1W1
13-07-2010, 06:24 PM
- slowing down, speeding up, overtaking etc.

I use the cruise control all the time on the Monash, East Link or the Eastern Freeway but not during peak periods. During the middle of the day or weekends I can often drive from Springvale Road to the 80 zone on the Monash entirely on the cruise control then reset to 80 to go through the tunnel although I rarely get all the way through without braking. If you are in a situation when traffic conditions dictate that you need to slow down, speed up or overtake then obviously a cruise control is not suitable but if you are only doing those things because it's your driving style then using the cruise control will probably have a noticable benefit on you fuel consumption and will actually make driving less stressful as you aren't treating the road as a race track full of chicanes.

Swuzzlebubble
13-07-2010, 06:59 PM
They could combine the “adaptive cruise control”, “blind spot info system”, "lane departure monitor", “park assist” (i.e. steering wheel control) and GPS map data into a system that just drives the car on its own. Volvo are probably on it as we speak.

bobski
14-07-2010, 12:10 PM
doing those things because it's your driving style then using the cruise control will probably have a noticable benefit on you fuel consumption and will actually make driving less stressful as you aren't treating the road as a race track full of chicanes.

I don't necessarily agree with the argument that it makes you less attentive. I don't set cruise and forget it. I use it to keep a constant, smooth speed.

On a freeway if its medium to light, I drive more using the cruise buttons up/down to adjust my speed in increments of 1-2km/h - call me a member of the playstation generation :P But I do it to keep speed with the people in front of me, and I do it to keep my driving smooth. If I jam on the brakes, people behind me jam on their's and so on. Just because I'm operating some buttons instead of a pedal, doesn't mean I'm not going to react when someone else does something stupid. My right foot is on the accelerator, and its right next to the brake - if I need either - its just a twitch of the toe...

For me, adaptive cruise is a great idea (if it does what it says on the box :) ).