PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fibre hoods.

Vr6_Dog
07-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Anyone know the best way to get a good quality carbon hood in Australia for a VR6. A VIS brand hood on ebay is 400US + 600US postage. Any other options?

ScienceVR6
07-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I havent found a carbon bonnet in aus, but my mate wants to hook me up with one form the UK.

Vr6_Dog
07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Let me know if he does. Maybe postage would be cheaper for two.

MattyT
07-04-2007, 08:52 PM
They're completely illegal. CF doesnt bend or buckle under impact so its unroadworthy under ADR. Instead it just shatters, sending hundreds of razor sharp CF shards flying everywhere.

Just in case you didn't know :)

rayray086
07-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Tried looking at custom-made ones?

Edit: Just saw your post Matty - didn't think of that. Though that doesn't stop the masses of JDM owners pouring out money to follow the fad...

Vr6_Dog
07-04-2007, 09:02 PM
They're completely illegal. CF doesnt bend or buckle under impact so its unroadworthy under ADR. Instead it just shatters, sending hundreds of razor sharp CF shards flying everywhere.

Yeh I know they are illegal, but on black should be fine.
And Im sick of stone chips.

DubSteve
07-04-2007, 11:32 PM
And Im sick of stone chips.

Get it resprayed then.

Vr6_Dog
08-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Get it resprayed then.

Thanks very much for the advice...
The Reason Im enquiring about this is I just got whole front end resprayed 3 weeks ago....already chipped again. Cant do anything about them. Carbon is an option.

DubSteve
08-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks very much for the advice...
The Reason Im enquiring about this is I just got whole front end resprayed 3 weeks ago....already chipped again. Cant do anything about them. Carbon is an option.

There is a prptective film that you can get that can go over the front of your car. It molds around it and is quite good. Its like clear contact.

I have seen it on a Mk5 r32 before really good, it cost him about 300 dollars but think of the cost in respray. It was a bargain.

MattyT
08-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Clear Coat or Paint Protection I think its called.

I'm going to get my whole car resprayed at some point and without a doubt its getting some clear coat action too!

Yeah alot of ricers do the CF thing. Although from what i've heard they keep their original bonnet for driving on public roads then whip out the CF for shows & track work.

Vr6_Dog
08-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Protective film sounds better. Do you cover the whole bonnet or just a portion, and can you see a line if so.

DubSteve
09-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Might have to google it I can't remember who did it.

ScienceVR6
09-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Protective film sounds better. Do you cover the whole bonnet or just a portion, and can you see a line if so.

Autobarn sells it, look down the back, near the window tints i think......

BlackVr6ix
09-04-2007, 03:49 PM
3m makes it but its sold by a number of companys

Vr6_Dog
09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Cheers guys will check it out.

16v80
09-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Carbon fibre doesnt shatter into lots of pieces, fibre glass does that.
Just out of interest if CF is illegal how do cars such as Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche and TVR get ADR??,
I have also seen a licensed lamborghini gallardo in Perth and all the panels on these cars are CF, seems to me to be a bit of a grey area regarding the ADR,
If it was me id get a CF or FG bonnet and paint it, no one will know

ScienceVR6
09-04-2007, 06:16 PM
the issue of carbon bonnets is usualy one of the frame that the carbon is mounted on. a carbon bonnet with a steel or alloy frame is legal. provided that the regular bonnet latch works. the best way get a leegal Carbon bonnet is to have a Factory steel frame, no holes, and factory latch.

Carbon fibre doesnt shatter into lots of pieces, fibre glass does that.
Just out of interest if CF is illegal how do cars such as Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche and TVR get ADR??,
I have also seen a licensed lamborghini gallardo in Perth and all the panels on these cars are CF, seems to me to be a bit of a grey area regarding the ADR,
If it was me id get a CF or FG bonnet and paint it, no one will know

Also notice that damn near every bonneted truck on Australian roads Has a FibreGlass bonnet.

MattyT
09-04-2007, 10:49 PM
The lotus elise is aluminium.

Same with the Ferrari F430, and 599 GTB. The F40 however is all CF and as such isnt road legal in aust (doesn't stop you owning one tho!).

All porsches are to my knowledge are steel / alum.

I dont know of any TVR's in aust. I didnt think they were CF anyway. What soviet Russian wants anything to do with a capitalist idea like CF? j:

Lambo's i believe are steel / alum too. Not aware of any CF panels on them. Interior maybe...

Interesting to note though that the Pagani Zonda F *is* road legal... theres one for sale in Melbourne and it does use CF in its panels I believe. :???:

Anyway... no idea on fibreglass. I wouldnt think so since alot of bodywork repairs are done with fibreglass :confused:

BACK ON TOPIC... get sum of that paint film stuff dog :)

Vr6_Dog
09-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Early Lotus Esprit's were all fibreglass as was a version of The Ferrari 308GTB.

BlackVr6ix
10-04-2007, 09:09 AM
What about just about every corvette ever made? all fibreglass except the chassis.

ScienceVR6
10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Ferrari F430, all carbon fibre. even the chassis!
McLaren SLR, all carbon fibre. again, even the chassis.
the Classic McLaren F1, all carbon fibre body.

BlackVr6ix
10-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Ferrari F430, all carbon fibre. even the chassis!
McLaren SLR, all carbon fibre. again, even the chassis.
the Classic McLaren F1, all carbon fibre body.

I was thinking more common cars, hahaha not every day you see a McLaren SLR!

I do however see MCLRF1 (i think thats the plates) once or so a week.

DubSteve
10-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I have seen a Toyota Supra with a CFB and it looks tacky, it was spray painted the same colour but you could still tell the difference

pommy_golfer
10-04-2007, 02:05 PM
You could always get a Bra, they are made of leather and would prob work out chepaer thatn that clear coata stuff. you can also take it off when you want...They were the fad just before i left the UK, especially for the Euro look...

I dont want to jinx myself but i cant understand how you guys get so many stone chips....my mk2 back home has a couple, but none worth mentioning and my VR6 which is a 94 has none? all i can think of is that you guys drive on some bad roads or drive too close to the cars in front of you?

DubSteve
10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Or your car had a respray at the front stone chips are common everyone gets them.

MattyT
10-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Roads here in Aust are ****. Thats why. More stuff gets kicked up and lands on our precious cars :(

Tim
10-04-2007, 07:05 PM
yeah i cop stones from the big trucks that drive on the monash fwy in melb. one time a big tip truck that had just emptied his load went over a bump and showered stones across a couple lanes cos the rear of his tray was open still. that was like 2 weeks after i had my car resprayed. You cant win unless u dont drive your car.

I had a big crack in my windscreen for 12 months after my last trip to sydney. Then just b4 i went to syd earlier this year i had it replaced for free by my insurance company. Then maybe one month later on my way home from syd copped a stone from a truck that merged into the lane in front of me. so i have a nice chip again!

i could go on an on. But yeah. ive given up trying to keep my car looking pretty. Not whilst i use it so much still.