PDA

View Full Version : code reader

matthewfnorbert
07-04-2007, 02:19 PM
my new boat motor (HSV LS2 307kw) has an obd (on board diagnostic) ecu interface (obd 2), same as the Vw. so i was looking for a gadget to read codes and look at engine data. I bought a new gadget for about $130 on ebay which reads most obd formats including can bus. (note cheaper ones don't do all formats or "live data")

obd codes are universal, you can search the net for codes numbers and descriptions, although mine will give a written explanation of code as well, very easy and worth the extra $

so if you want to interrogate your ecu and look at all fault codes (MIL), re set them, look at live data (ie rpm, temp air in, water temp, timing, speed etc etc) then i have one if anybody has issues to solve.. does not re program the ecu etc

as my wifes bug has not temp guage i plugged this gadget in and it told me temp of coolant and inlet live.. for eg. coolant light on startup goes out when water is at 130f.. good to know, and car runs at 190f with inlet temp of 85f and idles at 195f to 215f.. timing is good to watch also..

matthew

eg. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/U581-OBD2-CAN-BUS-PROTOCOL-SCANNER-DISPLAYS-LIVE-DATA_W0QQitemZ150109283820QQcategoryZ30921QQrdZ1QQ ssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Moonan
09-04-2007, 05:13 PM
H Matthew,
I had my first experience with a real VAGCOM the other day, and I must say it would be pretty attractive to have a better play. It has everything laid out for the VW it detects, including the default and other possible values for the parameter being looked at. For example, it stated the std auto trans code for a vehicle without paddle shifters, one value for NA and the other for ROW, and it also indicated the addition (8192) to that value to recoginise paddles. 30 seconds and my paddles were up and running.

matthewfnorbert
09-04-2007, 05:48 PM
nice one neil! my gadget does not change anything, just reads codes and resets ... you need vagcom for that.

how are the paddles?

Moonan
09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
..how are the paddles?Paddles are great, Matthew - see my other post